Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Can you request a server in Palo?

My parents just got off the Fantasy today, and I just got off the phone with my dad. They had dinner in Palo and were RAVING about their server. I'd like to put in a request for him if he's not on vacation and if it's possible.

Can you request a server in Palo just like you could for the MDR?
Old 12-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

Yes you sure can, we requested a MDR server who had actually been moved to Palo so they made sure she was our server for brunch.

Wonder 12/21/08, Dream 03/27/12, Fantasy 07/14/12, Dream 10/07/12, Dream 10/11/12, Fantasy 05/25/13, Magic 12/22/13, Magic 12/27/13, Magic 12/30/13, Fantasy 05/31/14
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktb2002 View Post
Yes you sure can, we requested a MDR server who had actually been moved to Palo so they made sure she was our server for brunch.
Awesome! I will put in my request tomorrow!
Old 12-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Truthfully, all the waiters in Palo are top notch, or they wouldn't be there.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
There are some who are not as great as others. I have friends who had one female for dinner and they specifically requested with the head person to NOT have her at brunch. But just like people want to request MDR servers they or others have had, when you hear of fantastic service, there is nothing wrong with making the request.

Do you criticize everyone who asks about MDR server recs?
Old 12-14-2014, 02:12 AM   #6
karmacats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
My parents just got off the Fantasy today, and I just got off the phone with my dad. They had dinner in Palo and were RAVING about their server. I'd like to put in a request for him if he's not on vacation and if it's possible.

Can you request a server in Palo just like you could for the MDR?
Yep, we did it on the dream a couple of months ago. We loved our dinner server so much we requested her again for brunch. It was not a problem at all. We made the request at the host/hostess stand the day before the brunch, so they had time to make sure we were at one of her tables.
Onsite at AKL, YC, Poly, WL, all 4 moderates, All-Star Movies
DCL - Magic (1998), Dream (2013 and 2014)
Disneyland - Paradise Pier Hotel (Sept 2014 - 1st time at DLR!)
karmacats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:55 AM   #7
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
There are some who are not as great as others. I have friends who had one female for dinner and they specifically requested with the head person to NOT have her at brunch. But just like people want to request MDR servers they or others have had, when you hear of fantastic service, there is nothing wrong with making the request.

Do you criticize everyone who asks about MDR server recs?
I wasn't criticizing anyone. We've had top-notch service in Palo without requesting any server. Bummer that your friend wasn't as lucky.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
professorandmom
I was on the beach without going into the water with the creatures

Quote:
Unfortunately, I must disagree...Just off the Wonder and third Palo visit. Wow, was our server below par...maybe he was earning his ears...did kind of ruin a bit of the magic...but dinner was fantastic

Barb
professorandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorandmom View Post
Unfortunately, I must disagree...Just off the Wonder and third Palo visit. Wow, was our server below par...maybe he was earning his ears...did kind of ruin a bit of the magic...but dinner was fantastic

Barb
It was my understanding that only the best MDR waiters get promoted to Palo, and if they're extra wonderful they get to work in Remy. Did you report the poor service so the waiter could get more training?
Old 12-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #10
professorandmom
I was on the beach without going into the water with the creatures

Quote:
It was my understanding that only the best MDR waiters get promoted to Palo, and if they're extra wonderful they get to work in Remy. Did you report the poor service so the waiter could get more training?
Yes, we did include our Palo experience on the comment card

Barb
professorandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
janiebubble
DIS Veteran

Have to agree that our experience with our server in Palo this summer has put us off trying it again. It was our second cruise and our first visit to Palo, maybe I was expecting too much but I was seriously underwhelmed, especially when I saw the level if service he was giving other tables.
Disney Cruise Line: 2011 - Magic 7 Day Med 2014 Magic 4 day Med

[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/]
janiebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

As the PP's have noted you certainly can request a server at Palo and they will do their best to honor it, but nothing is guaranteed.

We ate a Palo three times (1 Brunch, 2 dinners) on the Magic's 11/30 cruise and had excellent service each meal.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
dcassetta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm not sure this is always the case. On my last Dream Cruise, our server in Remy was on his first contract with Disney, and for that matter on his first contract on any cruise ship. So, I'm not always sure that the servers in Palo and Remy are promoted from the MDR's.

I would absolutely recommend him, however, thought he did a great job.

\
I've eaten at 159 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
dcassetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #14
tobikaye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcassetta View Post

I'm not sure this is always the case. On my last Dream Cruise, our server in Remy was on his first contract with Disney, and for that matter on his first contract on any cruise ship. So, I'm not always sure that the servers in Palo and Remy are promoted from the MDR's.

I would absolutely recommend him, however, thought he did a great job.
I wonder if he came from a background serving at a higher class restaurant before joining the cruiseline. I could see a server from a four or five star restaurant or even from one of WDW's signature restaurants being offered a position at Remy or Palo.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do - Walt Disney
tobikaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #15
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

So I called today and the guy looked at the reservation and then put me on hold to talk with his supervisor. When he came back, he said they didn't have a way to do it over the phone in advance, but on boarding day I can go to Palo (or where they are doing dining changes) and put the request in.

(Also discovered that my request for a solo table in the MDRs had gotten coded request for an 8-top! So he recoded that for me - made it a 4-top. Something else to double check on embarkation day just to be sure. If I have to deal with 3 strangers, I will make it work. But 7??? That will be Cabanas or room service or seeing if I could get extra Palos all the way!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: