Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Clearskies photographic Journey to the World and Beyond - 8 theme parks & much more

Intro

As the title has indicated, this TR is going to take you on a whirlwind trip through 8 Orlando area theme parks and much more. Ok, yes, 8 theme parks means that this TR is not all Disney related. Actually, to provide full disclosure, as far as "park time" is concerned we actually spent more hours in "other" parks than in the Disney parks on this trip. Whoa, wait a sec, back up the truck. Before you run away screaming, please stay with me a bit longer. I promise that there is plenty here to quench your thirst for all things Disney. Now, I must say that I did go round and round with the following questions in my head; "Should I post in the Disney TR forum?", "Should I post in the Universal TR forum?", "Should I not even bother with a TR?", "Don't I have better things to do with my time than to sit around worrying about such things?". Ultimately I ended up here since overall we spent more of our waking hours within the realm of Disney than outside. This is due to the fact that we stayed on Disney property and we were also on the Disney dining plan so we spent a good deal of time in various Disney resort areas. We also did visit 3 of the 4 major Disney parks as well as excursions to Downtown Disney. Think of it as an added bonus that I am throwing in, at no extra cost, ventures to areas outside the world. Beyond the confines of the mouse we experienced our very first visit to that other pair of major theme parks in Orlando and we saw the new castle on the block. We also had visits to Sea World and Busch Gardens Tampa and a brief excursion to Sea World Atlantis. Ok, let's check my math 3 Disney + 2 Universal + Sea World + Atlantis + Busch gardens, yep I have enough fingers to handle the math and that's 8 parks. Albeit, the Atlantis park should probably count as a half a pinky since we only were there briefly. If this just won't do and you and you need only full-bore Disney content, well you can skip past my non-Disney installments since I will try to keep them separate or you can read an all Disney all the time TR from me from 2009 using the link in my sig to get your fix. If however, you are ready to expand your world and broaden your horizons then read on and welcome aboard for the full journey.

More than anything this TR is going to be about photos of our experiences. Photography is a hobby of mine that I love but I wish I had more time for in my everyday existence. My camera does not come out to play as often as I would like to back at the home front but When I get away from it all I can go a bit hog wild with it. I took over 5000 photos on this trip. Yikes, don't worry, I will try not to have you endure picture after picture of the same thing from 10 slightly different perspectives. I weeded down the pictures to the somewhat better ones (which are about a quarter of the overall pics) that will hopefully keep you entertained. This TR is not solely about pictures though. There will hopefully be some semi-coherent, pseudo-interesting writing as well. Ok, perhaps not from me, but as long as someone can write interesting comments back to hold the other readers interest then that will help the cause. Now, Back to the photos. Here is my preview of some of the things you will experience with me on this journey.

Come along as we visit these resorts and more

We'll spend some time in these Disney Parks

As well as parks outside the realm of Disney

We'll visit Downtown Disney

We met up with some familiar old friends....

...As well as some new friends

There will be some great shows

As well as awesome nighttime entertainment

You'll see plenty of animals

and experience some good food

and of course good times on rides

I've reach my pic limit for a post and that's enough pics to give you a flavor of what is coming.

I suppose I should give you the low down of my travelling posse. We have me, the project manager and photo journalist of the trip. I spend more time than I want to admit to anyone other than perhaps some of my brethren here mapping out details of our trips with intricate spreadsheets and plans. Of course I get a ton of useful info on these boards to assist my planning needs. We also have my Wife, our outgoing ambassador and the glue that hold us all together. We have two fantastic children. my Son (age 12 on the trip), who has changed so much in one year that it is mind boggling. Once puberty has hit, my gosh this growing up train has been moving at full throttle. Despite his changes one thing has remained constant and that is the fact that he is a great kid. We also have a daughter who just turned 10 before the trip. She is such a sweetheart. She can spread magic in her eyes and make you smile just looking at her. Don't get me wrong, they can both have their moments sometimes but 99% of the time they are truly wonderful kids. I give my wife all the credit for that.

My wife's sister and family were also coming along some of the ride as well. My own family is more of an "on the go family" though and they prefer a more relaxed pace so in most cases we went our separate ways and caught up together for meals. It really works out better that way so that we prevent their exhaustion from trying to keep up and our angst at moving at slower pace. We also spent some time with my sister and her family who were also visiting Universal for the first time when we were down there. But wait..there's more. We also spent a couple days with some friends from our home town as well. So, out of 8 park days we only had 2 where we were completely on our own.

As far as where we stayed, we were at All Stars Movies this trip. In 2009, we stayed at POP with my SIL family. We were more of an every other year Dis family since we like to experience other places as well and we had visited in 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2009. Thus we originally had no intention of visiting in 2010. Then in 2009 I got wind of the upcoming changes in the area and that Harry Potter was moving into the neighborhood. I started to think that it would be a good time to succumb and finally visit "that other set of parks" in orlando. Though we are not HP ultra fanatics, my son and did I read all the books together and I figured it would be exciting to see the new digs. Then during our Dis 2009 trip I saw the bounceback flyer for free dining for 2010 in our room. Now, one thing to know about me is if you throw a good deal in front of me I am happy as pig in excrement. The free dining deal that they offer now is a very good deal now but it was an insane deal before they changed the offer in 2010. So the gears in my head started to whirr in overdrive and I thought hot diggity how's this for a plan....I can get a decent place to put our heads down at night while we go visit other parks in the area during the day and get a good sit down meal to come back to at night and even a get breakfast before we head out for the day all for about $130/night and that also included a day's ticket in Disney for the family. This was crazy. I was not sure if Disney was making any money off of us but who cares, where do I sign up? So I took advantage of the bounce back offer for 2010. I was still not sure we were going to stay there since I was also thinking about Universal hotels in order to get express Pass as well as possible off site hotels but we signed up with the bounceback so that we could have the deal reserved just in case. Since we were at Pop and SIL wanted to try a new place but wanted to keep it at the values we opted for All Stars Movies since we thought their kids would enjoy the theming.

Come 180 days out I started making meal reservations and though I still had not settled on staying at Disney, planning the meals definitely helped solidify the deal in my head. I am not sure if it was because they had not announced Free Dining to the General Public yet or what but it was not too hard to get all the restaurants I wanted and I did not get up at the crack of dawn on 180 day mark to make them. I even snagged Le Cellier for one EPCOT day if we decided to go there and it was after my 180 day mark. I was still worried about crowds in Universal and the need for Express Pass but I found that you could buy a form of Express Pass separately and I figured if I needed it I could just buy that when we were there. Eventually, I settled on keeping our resort reservations and we would hope the universal crowds were not too insane.

Well I think that covers most of the pre-trip history for you. We'll start in the next post our arrival on 8/25/10. Yes, that's right I said 8/25. I neglected to mention there is a bit of a delay in me getting started on this. Mea Culpa. Time has not been on my side lately and carving out some precious time to weed through pictures and write this has not been a happening thing for me the last couple of months. Fear not though, I don't plan to leave you hanging now that I have started the ball rolling.

Talk to you soon,
Clearkies

Last edited by clearskies; 01-22-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 1 - Coming and Going - Part 1

Tap, tap...is this thing on...
OK, I am going to forge ahead for now...

8/25/10 is the start of our adventures. We flew into MCO courtesy of Allegiant air which truly a no frills airline. I won't be surprised next year if they will have installed coin slots to pay for the overhead lights and air jets. Here is a pic of the only thing that is complimentary.

Note that it is a cup of ice that is complimentary, not the beverage that would go in it. I am fine with the no frills travel though and ok with a la carte options if it keeps the fare under control. It is a decent direct flight from Allentown Pa to MCO and even though we live a little closer to Newark Airport, this is an easier way to travel for us.

The flight was uneventful and we arrived in Orlando Int'l between 4 and 4:30PM. I was hoping to make a quick escape from the Airport to get going. I feel that I should impart some wisdom to you on our rental car process. We used Alamo Rental Cars. After getting our checked bag I saw the Alamo counter and started walked towards it. Before I could get near the counter though the man behind it gave me a wearied look and pointed his finger to his right. He did not say anything but his expression and actions said it all. He mentally said said "Look buddy, I have had a long day. If you open your eyes more you will see that long line of about 25 people over there waiting to get to me. Get over there an get in line and I'll get to you when I can. BE prepared for a long wait though." I did not say anything back but gave him the "Oops sorry" expresion with an added "fortunately I am tad more resourceful than those poor unfortunates souls over there and I am going to go to this ingnored machine over there and I will at least not add to your burden". So, alamo has these kiosk machines that you can use to check out with as do may other rental companies. All I had to do is enter my reservation number and the screens led me through the checkout. Now, I need to warn you that these machines are a bit spiteful from being ignored and they try to trick you. They default you to every option imaginable: GPS, extra insurance, personal backseat driver. You name it and it is there on the screen checked off for you as a default. I had to go through a few pages of checking off options so that the cost of my rental was not the price of a new car before I was ready to check out. Still I was out of there before the other line had moved. So my public service announcement for today is that you should use these machines. The can be dastardly devious if you don't keep an eye on them but they can save you loads of time. Thus were on the road in our PT cruiser in no time.

Yah, we are on our way but We have a problem. Our first night is 2 hours away from Orlando. we are headed in the south east direction to the coast where we will stay overnight at my friends house. The next day I am scrambling futiley after a little white ball with my friend while the rest of family goes to Vero beach. The problem though is how can you fly in and be so close to the action only to get in a car immediately drive away from it all. Don't get me wrong, I am excited to see my friend but heck I can feel the pull of the parks beckoning me. So, I figured I had to feed my family anyway before we hit the road so why not go to SeaWorld and eat at the sit down restaurant there before we headed off. Note that we have Busch Gardens Platinum Season Passes which gives us access to all the Busch Parks as well as parking so it was not costing us anything extra other than the price of the meal.

Sea World is only about 20 minutes from the Airport so we got there quickly and got a great spot in the preferred parking parking and we were soon in the Park.

I was a bit worried about whether we could get into the restaurant without reservations since we were srtolling in there late in the day but figured what the heck it was worth a try. I tried checking at the guest services at front of the park for availability but they told me I had to go over to the restaurant to check so we made our way to the back of the park but were not rushing to get there and we stopped to see sights along the way. We weren't seeing any shows today though, just looking around at animals. I really hope you like birds because you are about to see a bunch of them

Yeah, I am not a bird but here comes the flock....

I'll stop here for now. Will we get into the restaurant? Could I possibly show you any more birds? Will anyone actually read this TR to see?
Stay tuned to find out.

Last edited by clearskies; 01-31-2011 at 10:50 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Antigua08
Mouseketeer

I'm in! Your photos are fantastic I too will be visiting the other parks on my trip so love reading trip reports with them in. I look forward to following your trip

My 1st trip report, Sept 2011!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2820408
Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Antigua08

Thank you very much for joining in.
Please ask me any questions as I go on about the different parks.

PS that is an adorable baby in your signature. What a cutie!!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
mom of 3 (or 4) boys
Earning My Ears

Great pics! I just went back and looked at your previous TR as well. What you carry around in equipment is admirable!

Heading to see the Mouse this coming Saturday on a weekend solo trip with my DSLR. I am quite the amateur, but so excited to practice in Disney.
I hope I can come back with some shots as good as yours.

Disney trips with the 3 (or 4) boys:
April 99 POR, June 2000 FW Campsites, Jan 2001 FW Campsites, Dec 2004 FW Campsites, Dec 2006 FW Campsites, June 2007 POR, October 2009 ASMv, July 2010 FW Campsites
Old 01-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
Antigua08
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearskies View Post
Antigua08

Thank you very much for joining in.
Please ask me any questions as I go on about the different parks.

PS that is an adorable baby in your signature. What a cutie!!
Ah thankyou very much.
That pic is from l first joined these boards so my little girl has changed lots since then, just haven't yet worked out how to change the photo though

I'm sure l'll probably have a few questions for you about the different parks, although l have visited them just once before this will be the first time with children. And that kinda changes things!

My 1st trip report, Sept 2011!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2820408
Old 01-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
eugeniuss
Lone Star Mouseketeer and Pentaxian

Subscribing as well.... love pictures and love WDW, so I really enjoy these types of threads...

I've got 11 months til my next disney trip where I plan on taking lots of pics... Sadly, the only park near me to practice is a pathetic Six Flags...
Wilderness Lodge 12-11
Disney Magic 3-9-13
Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom of 3 (or 4) boys View Post
Great pics! I just went back and looked at your previous TR as well. What you carry around in equipment is admirable!

Heading to see the Mouse this coming Saturday on a weekend solo trip with my DSLR. I am quite the amateur, but so excited to practice in Disney.
I hope I can come back with some shots as good as yours.
Thank you and
Fortunately you don't need to be as insane as me and carry around so much equipment to get good pictures. One recommendation though is to bring a tripod if you want nighttime pictures. I don't carry it around all day though. I'll keep it in a locker. Disney really is a great place to take pictures which is one of the reasons I come back. I hope you have a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigua08 View Post
Ah thankyou very much.
That pic is from l first joined these boards so my little girl has changed lots since then, just haven't yet worked out how to change the photo though
You're welcome. I am glad my wife does not read these boards otherwise she would have looked at that picture and said she wants another baby. They really grow so fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigua08 View Post
I'm sure l'll probably have a few questions for you about the different parks, although l have visited them just once before this will be the first time with children. And that kinda changes things!
and how. My children are a bit older at 10 and 13 and I held back on Universal in fear that they had to be older to enjoy the park but I think they would have enjoyed many things at a younger age as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniuss View Post
Subscribing as well.... love pictures and love WDW, so I really enjoy these types of threads...

I've got 11 months til my next disney trip where I plan on taking lots of pics... Sadly, the only park near me to practice is a pathetic Six Flags...
eugeniuss
We are kindred spirits. those are 2 of my loves as well.
I understand about Six Flags. It is probably the closest park to me and I haven't been there in years. It just doesn't hold too much appeal to me.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 1 - Coming and Going - Part 2

We last left off on our way to see if we could get into the Sharks Underwater Grill for Dinner at Seaworld. Now, I had some trepidation about the place. Before our trip I had discovered Dis Unplugged podcasts on Universal and Sea World. Since I wanted to do some homework on Universal I listened to some of the previous shows and in one of them the host (Pete Werner) reviewed the Sharks Underwater Grill at Sea World and it was downright ugly. My gosh, he totally trashed the place. He basically referred to the food with words like swill and garbage and he declared it as THE WORST Theme Park restaurant. Ouch, Perhaps I should have steered clear of this but I figured I would take a chance and Sharks was the only game in town in SeaWorld for a sit down meal at that time so on we went.

Along the way through the park to the restaurant we came across an exhibit called the Penguin Encounter. My son loves Penuins so we were not going to be able to walk past this. Ha, and you probably thought I was done showing you birds. If you like penguins (and who doesn't?) then this is the place for you. There are 2 sections, the first section you go to contains puffins and the second section contains penguins. The lighting is tough though so it is not easy to take pictures. Here are some of my results.

isn't this little one cute.

After we got out of the Penguin Encounter we walked along until we hit the Pacific Point reserve. This is an area that contains seals.

I decided to leave the family there to look at the exhibit whil I walked the rest of the way over to the restaurant to see if we could get in without an ADR, er I mean reservation. I guess I should not have been concerned. Perhaps a lot of people had listened to the Dis Unplugged review and were steering clear of the place because they had no problem at all getting us a table. So I walked back to re-group the family and make our way over to the restaurant. Will pick up from here in the next installment.

Last edited by clearskies; 01-31-2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: cause I can't type and I need an editor
Old 01-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 1 - Coming and Going - Part 3

We are now at the Sharks Underwater grill ready to see if the food is better than the swill that it was described to be. First some words on the set up of the place. It is laid out in a very similar fashion to the Coral Reef. You get to dine overlooking huge tanks. The restaurant has 3 tiers of tables so that all tables can get a good view of the tanks. Here is a picture to give you an idea of the layout. We were on the lower Tier right next to the tanks but I took this from the middle tier.

here's my son at work

The tanks you are looking at are the same ones you travel underneath in their Sharks exhibit. The views are great and I think they are better than what you see in the shark exhibit.

Here are some pictures of the views.

Now on to the food. I ordered NY stip. It is normally served with mashed potatoes but I have dairy issues so I got it with a fried Yucca patty and some mixed vegetables. I have never been one to photograph food and I feel a bit strange doing it but I figured I would capture most of my meals on this trip in case I did write a trip Report. I did not go as far as taking pictures of the rest of the family member's meals though.

Here is a picture of my meal

I decided to make this a "watch out cholesterol, bring on the red meat" extravaganza trip so I will rank the steaks I ate at most of the restaurants we dined at during the trip. Contrary to the review I heard I was actually very pleased by the food. The steak was a nice size and thickness, cooked exactly as ordered (med rare), and it was tender and very tasty. The yucca patty was fairly bland but the mixed vegetables were good. The rest of the family enjoyed their meals as well. So far this was the best meal of the trip

We'll see about how it stacks up to the other restaurants on our trip especially the coral reef which is the obvious comparison. We are bookending the trip with aquarium eateries and were experiencing Coral Reef as our last dinner of the trip.

In case you were wondering about the price. Was this expensive? somewhat, but not out of line with Disney prices. For comparison purposes, the steak was $32 which was a about dollar more than the NY stip at Coral Reef. You'll have to wait unitl later to see how the quality stacks up to the competition.

Here are more pictures of the view as we ate.

So, if you find yourself in Seaworld for the day and you are looking for a sit down meal I would not rule out the Sharks Underwater Grill. The food was good and the Shark tank views were excellent.

After we finished up our meal, it was about 20 minutes past park closing (7PM closure). I should say that even though we were there until after the park closed, we were not at all rushed and when we left the restaurant we were not met by staff directing us out of the park. There were still other visitors making their way out as well. We somewhat leisurely made our way out of the park, stopped for a few pictures and then hit the road to the coast.

We will be back to Sea World another day during the trip so you will see a whole lot more of the park later.

we got in the PT cruiser and headed out to Vero Beach happy we made the detour to Sea world first. Along the way we were treated to a nice sunset.
My wife wanted to take a picture but I was not about to pull over somewhere so the results were not going to be as good while in a moving car. I dialed in some settings on the camera and handed it over to my wife. It came out ok but didn't really capture how nice it really was.

Well, that's a wrap on our first day. As far as day 2 is concerned, as I mentioned we are heading out of town so the action won't pick up until later in the day for you. In the afternoon We'll be driving back to the area to check into the ASM Resort.

Last edited by clearskies; 01-31-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: cause my typing is horrendous
Old 01-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #11
blabbermouth
DIS Veteran

Ok, I like you, I'm subbing!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
blabbermouth
DIS Veteran

Apparently I'm a bit slow, I didn't read your updates first!

Quote:

After we got out of the Penguin Encounter we walked along until we hit the Pacific Point reserve. This is an area that contains seals.

Oh, a seal... now I know they come in a variety of colours Too bad I live on the ocean and you can't fool me! I saw a seal yesterday actually!

I look forward to your steak-fest. It's one of the things I'm always hesitant to order in (non-steakhouse) restaurants because they can be really good or reeeeally bad. Glad to hear this one was good and that they at least serve something semi-interesting like yucca patties!

Oh, and FYI, I did a report on puffins in about 4th grade, they're awesome! As are penguins. Other birds? Meh.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:57 AM   #13
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabbermouth View Post
Ok, I like you, I'm subbing!
You also get a big blabbermouth. Your username is too funny

Quote:
Apparently I'm a bit slow, I didn't read your updates first!

Oh, a seal... now I know they come in a variety of colours Too bad I live on the ocean and you can't fool me! I saw a seal yesterday actually!

I look forward to your steak-fest. It's one of the things I'm always hesitant to order in (non-steakhouse) restaurants because they can be really good or reeeeally bad. Glad to hear this one was good and that they at least serve something semi-interesting like yucca patties!

Oh, and FYI, I did a report on puffins in about 4th grade, they're awesome! As are penguins. Other birds? Meh.
You got me on that strange picture of a seal. I meant to put a caption under that pic of a little known species of a seal.
Boy, I am jealous that you live on the ocean. How do you keep your house afloat though

You'll be happy to know that I am going to give you all a break and you won't be subjected to any more bird pictures for the next couples of days in the trip.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
blabbermouth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You also get a big blabbermouth. Your username is too funny

You got me on that strange picture of a seal. I meant to put a caption under that pic of a little known species of a seal.
Boy, I am jealous that you live on the ocean. How do you keep your house afloat though

You'll be happy to know that I am going to give you all a break and you won't be subjected to any more bird pictures for the next couples of days in the trip.
Well there are such things as HOUSEBOATS ya know. But I don't have one. I live on land... but near the ocean. I can't see seals from my house or anything.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:10 AM   #15
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well there are such things as HOUSEBOATS ya know. But I don't have one. I live on land... but near the ocean. I can't see seals from my house or anything.
In the interests of being a smart alec I played the odds that you didn't live on a houseboat on the ocean. If you were on a lake or something perhaps I may have though otherwise.

Regardless, I am still jealous that you live right near the ocean. It must be beautiful with some great photo ops.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: