DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Anyone done the Wanyama Safari in the last year?

I did it 3 years ago, and LOVED it. I'm thinking of doing it again this year, but before I plunk down that much money, I wanted to make sure it was still worth it. Any recent experiences?
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
rockydek
Disney4us

Safari

I made reservations for my husband ...the week of fathers day. Its pricey, He deserves it ....as his family has always come first. I think he will love it!
I'm waiting for someone to answer this also. If you do ..Can you tell us about the meal from Jiko also.
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

loved it. the only downside was i did it in early dec last year (2010) when the weather was getting cooler so a few of the animals (red river hogs?) stayed in the barns and we didn't get to see them.

i love boma and jiko, so the "family style" dinner after the safari was perfect for me: jiko cooking with lots of different flavors to try. they brought out plates with the following IIRC:

Taste of Africa - Trio of Dips with Assorted Breads and House-made Naan
Barbecue Chicken Flatbread
Crispy Beef Bobotie Roll
Tibs Watt in Panekoeke
Sikhumbuzo's Peri Peri Chicken
Maize-crusted wreckfish
Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon - still had the macaroni and cheese/red wine

with wine pairings, and then a trio of tiny desserts to finish off the meal.

it's expensive but if you can swing it, it was worth it IMO.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
rockydek
Disney4us

Safari

It sounds amazing! Can't wait to surprise him.
Thanks for this post!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
calypso726
DIS Veteran

We just did the Wanyama (2nd time) in September. IMO it is still worth it. They are not doing the Sundowner in the middle of the tour anymore though. I believe that is due to the addition of the third savanna and the new time constraints it would pose. The dinner was just as fabulous. There have been some changes to the Jiko menu recently so you would probably not be getting the mac n cheese with the filet like before. This is what the chef told us during the family style meal. We went back again last month (not to do the safari) to Jiko for dinner and rest assured though if you decide to just dine at Jiko you can still get the mac n cheese on request.
calypso726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
Inkmahm
Disney nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso726 View Post
We just did the Wanyama (2nd time) in September. IMO it is still worth it. They are not doing the Sundowner in the middle of the tour anymore though. I believe that is due to the addition of the third savanna and the new time constraints it would pose. The dinner was just as fabulous. There have been some changes to the Jiko menu recently so you would probably not be getting the mac n cheese with the filet like before. This is what the chef told us during the family style meal. We went back again last month (not to do the safari) to Jiko for dinner and rest assured though if you decide to just dine at Jiko you can still get the mac n cheese on request.
We did this tour December 10, 2010. We still got the steak with the mac n cheese (better than the way they are serving it on the main menu now.)

No Sundowner and my husband was disappointed as that is one of his favorite parts of the safari.

Also, we weren't actually allowed to drive in to the new savanna because there was some bird that was attacking everthing and everyone. We drove around the outside fence so we did not see the red river hogs, etc. It was too cold for them to be out anyway. Still, I was disappointed that a bird kept us from the new savanna.

Inkmahm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: