Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Paradise and Magic..All Rolled into One Vacation! UD3/28 A Top 10 Wrap Up

Here I am! Back and ready to start this Trip Report! I have pics uploading and I am working on my first installment.....I hope you join me on this fabulous adventure! Can't wait to share all the details with you!

Trip Details:

Cruise to the Bahamas on Royal Caribbean with a side trip to the Happiest Place on Earth!

Dates: Monday May 3rd through Sunday May 9th

Who: JUST my incredible husband and I!

Here's a teaser pic or two to get started! I'll be back soon with my first official installment!

Quick Links
And so it begins!
You know what they say about Hindsight.....
A Change of Plans!
Gotta love the GPS!
Bon Voyage!
Bon Voyage--continued
Short Life Interruption!
We Woke Up In Paradise!--part 1
We Woke Up In Paradise!--part 2
Let's Get Dressed Up!
OT--Proud Mom Moment
Taxi Rides and Flamingos--Nassau Part 1
More Ardastra Gardens--Nassau, part 2
A Walking Tour--Nassau, part 3
A Walking Tour--continued
Arrggh....Pirates and Plunder--Nassau, part 4
Our Nassau Day Comes to an End--but who's sick?
A Day at Sea
A Private Light Show
Back on Dry Land
Back on Dry Land, part 2
Ahhh....AKL!
I'm BACK!
A Delicious African Meal!
On to the MAGIC!
Space missions, Mountains, and Pirates!
Princesses, Parades and Presidents
A Leisurely MK Evening!
Why is all the Dole Whip gone?
Minor MK Meltdown
Soaking in as much Magic as we can....
A Top 10 Wrap Up
More Top 10

Last edited by mommytothreeboys; 03-28-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

Great start love the pictures!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

YAY! You started!!! I can't wait to hear all about your trip Missy!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

First off.....you look amazing in the pictures! Your hard work really paid off. Second, I can't wait to hear all about your trip!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

I'm on board as well. Love the pictures.
Riverside-12/1995 , off property 10-1994, Carribean Beach 1/1994, off property 1977
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
Old 05-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy442 View Post
Great start love the pictures!
Hi and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
YAY! You started!!! I can't wait to hear all about your trip Missy!!!
Hi Angie!! I figured I had waited long enough! Can't wait to share it with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
First off.....you look amazing in the pictures! Your hard work really paid off. Second, I can't wait to hear all about your trip!
Thanks so much Lisa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEeyore View Post
I'm on board as well. Love the pictures.
Hi there...thanks for joining in!
Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

And so it begins!

Before I “get this party started,” so to speak, a few introductions are in order. For those of you who know (and love, LOL!) me already, just humor me!

My name is Missy and I am 40 years old. (“Hi Missy!” --sorry, I couldn't resist!) I am the self appointed keeper of all things Disney at my house. We took our first family vacation to my Happy Place in 2007 and went back again in 2009. I have 3 sons, Daniel (15), Isaiah (12- 13 at the end of May), and Jonah(9). My boys are Disney-crazed as well. My favorite character is Tink and my favorite princess is Snow White. If I could live in a place with a parade every day and fireworks every night, I would!

My husband is Jeff....and also newly 40. Jeff loves Disney as much as I do, but would probably not admit that to too many people. He does not at all enjoy the planning phase of a vacation, so he leaves that up to me! YAY! His favorite character by far is Pinocchio. He has a hard time relaxing and “unplugging” on vacations, but we are totally working on that. Stay tuned to see how he did on this trip!

This trip was born around the time we boarded the Magical Express bus to leave Disney in 2009! I knew that a big family vacation would not be in the cards in 2010, but a Mom and Dad getaway was not out of the question. My devious little brain began to dream about how I could make that happen at Disney!

Around February or so, we began seriously thinking about going on a trip, but Jeff was not SOLD on Disney. He wasn't opposed, but he expressed interest in changing it up a bit and trying something new. We began to look into cruises as this was something we had never done before. On pricing them out, we realized we could totally afford a short cruise to the Bahamas on our budget. Side note---we are trying to save funds to fix up the house a little at a time so we can move to a bigger one soon, so money was an issue. Aside from the money, I get very seasick and the thought of a cruise really made me nervous. So, we decided a short, 4 night cruise with only one day “at sea” (not in a port) would be the best way to start.

It wasn't until late February that Jeff gave me the green light to book a cruise! We had decided on a Royal Caribbean cruise departing from Port Canaveral. Again, my Disney senses are always on alert and I knew if we was that close, I was GOING to find a way to squeeze in a visit to the Mouse!

Our cruise was scheduled to leave on a Monday and return on a Friday. So, we had the weekend before we would have to fly back home. A one-day trip to WDW is very pricey so I had resigned myself to just going to Downtown Disney to get my Disney fix. Then I remembered the Give a Day, Get a Disney Day promotion and I was off to the races! I researched a project that Jeff and I could do together. I approached Jeff with the “IF I could get us a FREE ticket to Disney for a day, would you consider adding it to our vacation plans?” song and dance. Of course, because the man loves me (and secretly loves Disney!) he agreed!

All that to explain the birth of this FANTASTIC couples get-away! If you would like to see pics of our Project Linus volunteer project, you can to to my Pre-Trip report (“I Can't Believe...”) in my signature. But here's one just to give you an idea.

Now that we have the vacation plans set, here is an outline of what this trip looked like!

Monday May 3—depart Rochester and head to Port Canaveral to board the Monarch of the Seas (sail away set for 4:30 pm)

Tuesday May 4—spend the day on beautiful CoCo Cay, Royal Caribbean's private island.

Wednesday May 5—spend the day exploring Nassau, the capital of the Bahamas

Thursday May 6—day at sea spent basking in the sun and enjoying each other's company!

Friday May 7—leave the ship and spend the day exploring nearby Cocoa Beach before heading to Orlando for an 8:05 ADR at Boma!

Saturday May 8--Magic Kingdom here we come! Rope Drop to Wishes, baby!!

Sunday May 9—no real plans except to shop at DTD, eat at Cooke's of Dublin, and enjoy our last day. Flight for Rochester leaves MCO at 7:25 pm.

So there you have it. Introductions-check, pics-check, vacation outline-check! Next up....

BON VOYAGE!! Our Vacation begins!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Looks like fun!! Glad you could get in on GAD...the day we decided to go in July GAD closed.
Riverside-12/1995 , off property 10-1994, Carribean Beach 1/1994, off property 1977
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

How exciting - a cruise plus a day at MK!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 05-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
Planning fanatic mom
DIS Veteran

I'm in and can't wait.

Lots of details please.

1987 Off Site: 1990 Honeymoon: 1997 Shades of Green: 2006 POP: 2007 POR: 2009 WL: 2010 CSR: 2012 RPH and POFQ: 2014 POFQ

Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

I'm in be back to read...
Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #12
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEeyore View Post
Looks like fun!! Glad you could get in on GAD...the day we decided to go in July GAD closed.
Yeah...it closed the weekend after we signed up. I was concerned that we wouldn't get our vouchers, but if you were already registered it was fine. I'm really surprised Disney didn't extend such a great promotion....it was supposed to last all year and it was done in 3 months. Sorry you couldn't take advantage of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
How exciting - a cruise plus a day at MK!
Welcome!! It really was exciting! I can't wait to share all about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planning fanatic mom View Post
I'm in and can't wait.

Lots of details please.
Hi there! I'll do my best with details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousescrapper View Post
I'm in be back to read...
Hi Julie! Thanks for dropping in! Come back when you can!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:05 AM   #13
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

Hey! Missy
you know we love you!
great start and intro to the trip...the outline of your days sounds like a great flow! I was telling Danny about you guy's trip and now we are talking about doing the same for 2012! But, I am so hoping I can figure out a way to afford a Disney cruise...if not no sweat we can hope on another line!!!

can't wait to travel along with you guys and see if Jeff can relax!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #14
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing2Batdisney View Post
Hey! Missy
you know we love you!
great start and intro to the trip...the outline of your days sounds like a great flow! I was telling Danny about you guy's trip and now we are talking about doing the same for 2012! But, I am so hoping I can figure out a way to afford a Disney cruise...if not no sweat we can hope on another line!!!

can't wait to travel along with you guys and see if Jeff can relax!
Hi Connie! I'm so glad you are here! I saw the pics of Dayne's graduation on FB....you must be so proud! Congrats to him and to you as well!

SO exciting that you may be doing a couples trip in 2012! I would have loved a Disney cruise too, but for the price it just was a better deal to sail with another cruise line. Going to the MK for the day was the best of both worlds!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #15
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Great start Missy!! Thanks for the heads up or I might have missed this. It's been a really crazy busy couple of weeks so my DIS time has been limited. But thanks to a sick kiddo I'm forced to have some down time today and hope to do some catching up. Can't wait to read more!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: