Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

I Came to Florida for 32*?

Yep - we were among the lucky early early December travelers to catch the unseasonally cold weather. We have been to Disney many times in December and have never faced cold weather like this. We were fairly unprepared and our DVC washer and dryer were never more cherished (I mean how many pairs of jeans and sweatshirts can one pack?) But anyways, it was Disney and we made the best of it and still had a blast.

The cast of charaters include,

KathyMc - me - Disney planner extrodinare, 43 years old (oh my, am I really that old? No kids unless you count our new 5 month old German Shepherd Samson
DannyMc - my hubby, 44 years old, he'll tell you that he loves Disney because I love Disney, but when you hear him tell people about our trips, he's like a kid in a candy store.
Mom and Dad - my mom and dad both in their mid 70s, we've travelled quite a few times with them and couldnt imagine going without them.

Day 1 December 4, 2010
Up way too early and met my mom and dad and the Carney’s at a hotel by the airport and head to the airport. Flight left on time at 6:45 am. Short flight, only took like 2 ½ hours. Pretty smooth and Jim did fine (he’s 10 times worse than me on planes.)

Hop right in line for the Magical Express and we are off in no time! Check in at the hotel (and they gave me a birthday button!) but room isn’t ready so we check our carry on bags. We were starving so we went to Beaches and Cream and only had to wait a few minutes to get a table – cute place. I got French fries and a chocolate shake, what a perfect first vacation lunch. Everyone else got burgers, mom got a vanilla shake and the guys got beers. Yummy all around.

We were going to head off to MGM but checked and room was ready so we just headed there to get all situated an unpacked. Clean room, no view and close to the road, but hopefully that means we see Illuminations. I had downloaded a Disney ap from Undercover Tourist and it showed Fantasmic! was playing (it wasn’t supposed to) so we double checked and it was so we headed off to the boat dock to MGM around 3:00.

Did the regular stuff, TOT had hardly any wait. Then we did the animation show and drew Stich – they were all so funny! Met up with the Carneys at some point. Caught the star wars show. Man if I was a kid this would rock!

Luckily they did add the 6:30 Fantasmic! show so we saw that show (the Carney’s loved it – I get so excited when you want someone who has never experienced something you love to love it)

And then joined the masses to see the lights. Lights were way too crowded, but awesome.

Beautiful day and I only had to put my jacket on at about 6:00 (don’t’ worry , it gets colder as the week goes on.) Long wait for the boats but at least two came at once.

Back to the hotel a little bit late for our 8:15 reservation at Cape May Buffet, but they were saying no problem, come on in! Thought we would get all leftovers but they kept refilling the food and it was very fresh. We get the drink menu and Danny orders a Captains Maitai, waitress says “do you want that with Captains?” I say, “make that two.” Dad says,” Captains Maitai, please,” waitress says “do you want that with Captains?” Mom says she is looking for something else, then says I’ll have a Captain’s Maitai, then says – so what did you guys all get? Cracked up!

Pretty good and mom was happy with the crab legs. Ribs were good (fall off the bone but a little too sweet) and fried shrimp were awesome. Clams – tiny but good and yummy maitais. Mini dessert were all really good and I tried them all. Waitress brought me over chocolate mousse with candle and sang. Love the birthday button!

A table of about 6 teenagers behind us sang along, I ask Danny, all right, who told her its my birthday and everyone says, you are wearing a birthday button! Danny says to me you are just like your mom. Back to the room for a couple of drinks, watch a little bit of Harry Potter and Weather channel to watch the cold weather coming in and off to bed around midnight.
May 5-12, 2007 POP + OKW Sept 27-Oct 5, 2008 Contemporary December 4-13, 2010 - BCV
March 14-17, 2013 SSPINGS December 7-15, 2013 - BCV Next Trip - Aulani December 10-12, 2014
Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

Day 2 Sunday Dec 5, 2010

Slept pretty good and up at about 9:00 am. I made coffee last night. I go to pour the coffee in the morning and I am seeing coffee grounds everywhere. If forgot to put the filter in - great start of the day.

Chill around the villa for a few and then head over to Epcot around 11 to meet mom and dad for lunch at Via Napoli (nice to be able to relax and not go, go, go.) Took some nice photos as we were waiting (we got new cameras this year so we were playing with them a lot)

Was a little worried as reviews have been scattered on the boards, but no worry – this was awesome. Had a cute and friendly Italian waiter, good service and its quite a neat looking restaurant. We got a pitcher of beer and a Quattro Stagioni - eggplant, artichokes, parma cotto ham, mushrooms, and mozzarella. Kind of weird that the toppings are not all spread out, but I just moved them around the pizza and we all enjoyed.

It was a perfect lunch and they gave me a dessert and sang to me and did a weird kind of thing with their hands and I said they were giving me the malocchios. We all said we would definitely be back.

Walk to future world and do some shopping at mouse gears (I love this place.) Watched a cool gospel choir singling Christmas songs and then headed to Soarin with a 40 min wait. Did Imagination and saw Captain Eo – I was surprised how much I enjoyed it (I never saw it.)

Over to Spaceship Earth with hardly any wait and then head back to the villa (love this) for warmer clothes as it going to get chilly tonight. On the way, we are walking through England and who do we see – mom and dad sitting on a bench people watching.

Back to the villa for a short rest and a drink and then back to Canada to watch Off Kilter. Didn’t enjoy them as much as I didn’t really know the songs they were singing – oh well. Grab a couple of orange slushies in France – yum! Catch a little bit of candlelight processional with Susan Lucci.

Over to Japan for dinner at 7:30 at Teppan Edo (I thought it was at 7:30, but realized when we got there it was for 7:00). I was all confused when we walked in as we didn’t remember the place looking like that, but we just had to wait a little and then we were seated with two cheerleaders and a mom and another couple. Nice neighbors and a fun meal. Danny got a sushi roll sampler (I had a couple) and some weird white saki. I got scallops and everyone else got filet.

They brought me a chef’s hat that said happy birthday on it, in Japanese of course and did a little clapping song. We were cracking up at the hat and wore it the rest of the night. Nice time and good dinner, with yummy drinks.

Met up with the Carney’s at the patio area by England to watch Illuminations – great show as always. It was pretty chilly at night, but not as cold as I thought it would be. We walked back with Jim, Tracy and the kids and then back to the room for a drink, watch some SNL (haven’t done that for along time) and off to bed at 12:15.
May 5-12, 2007 POP + OKW Sept 27-Oct 5, 2008 Contemporary December 4-13, 2010 - BCV
March 14-17, 2013 SSPINGS December 7-15, 2013 - BCV Next Trip - Aulani December 10-12, 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
BookTrout
Earning My Ears

I'm just joining in and it sounds like fun so far. How cold did it get while you were there?
Sharon
Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

I think 32 was the coldest it got
Old 03-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

Monday Dec 6, 2010 - Day 3

So I go to make coffee this morning and I am thinking to myself, remember the filter, remember the filter. So I put the filter in, start to fill with coffee – and then realized I had not replaced the basket!

Up and off to Magic Kingdom around 11:00 – quite chilly out. Wow – was it crowded! Mom and dad went to Casey’s for hot dogs and Danny and I went to bakery for yummy egg and cheese croissants – had to wait about 20 min in line.

Met up with the Carneys, did Laugh Factory and went on Space Mountain and Brianna was giggling so hard – and non stop, it was a riot. Saw Push and did Stitch, Pooh, cars, teacups (kids, not me) and small world. Kids are having a ball and are a blast. Jim had to leave to get warmer clothes.

Split up and we went to the Plaza for dinner. It was cold tonight so Danny had soup, mom and dad had coffee and I had hot tea. Mom got cheese steak, dad got a club, Danny a Rueben and I got the veggie sandwich, really good but just too much bread. No ice cream for us today. We all bundle up and head off to watch the parade.

Danny and Jim left to go watch the Patriots play.. After the parade was wishes – had a great spot and loved it and the castle lights are gorgeous! Took a ton of photos and hoped they come out good (they did.)

Wanted to stay and play some more but it was just too cold out so we head home and dad and I watched the rest of the game while Danny and Jim stayed in the bar for the rest of the game. Off to bed around midnight.

Last edited by kathymc; 03-22-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

Tuesday Dec 7, 2010 - Day 4

Somehow the guys room keys got screwed up so we had to meet up to exchange. They came to our hotel and we just showed them around the Beach Club and Yacht Club. They went off to MGM and we went off to breakfast at Captains Grille. I had originally booked at Kouzina but they were closed for renovations. Breakfast was pretty good. Dad got the omelet and the three of us all got yummy eggs benedict. Danny got a measly side of bacon and we all got mimosas or bloody Mary’s. Not outstanding but nice to be able to just walk over.

It was pretty chilly out today and the pool was closed. We took a walk around the Boardwalk and stopped in Wyland’s gallery and looked at the cool sharks and stingrays for $1,500-$2,500 – really cool. Bought some cheese and crackers for a snack and back to the room for a rest. Danny took a nap and I read A Complete Idiots Guide to Puppies. Yep – we are doing it again – we pick up our 8 week old German Shepherd Samson the day we get back.

Here's Sam on his first day home.

Up and off to Epcot via cab (courtesy of concierge, long story but at least they took care of ot) for Danny’s dive at Epcot. I went to the Art of Disney store – loved the little dioramas they had – I could buy so much stuff here. Just walked around some and they went to the Living Seas to watch. He loved it and I got some cool photos and video with my new Droid.

Took forever for him to come back out and we head home to freshen up for our dinner at Blue Zoo. Pretty funny, but kind of sad, wearing sandles and capris in 40* weather.

I was really looking forward to this dinner but it didn’t turn out to be that great. First off, it was chilly and we decided to walk, which was longer than we expected. We walked in a side door and had to walk through the restaurant to get to the front. Then there was a baseball convention so it was really busy, had to wait about 20 min to be called and are seated at a table for 6 which was weird. Then a huge party gets seated behind us. Then we can hardly understand our waiter’s accent, and we don’t recognize half of the fish he is offering. Then we get our meals before our cocktails were even served!

Anyways, mom and I got the sea bass which was small but delicious, dad got swordfish he raved about and Danny decided to try the special 2 pound sticky lobster, um, excuse me but it tasted like general Gaus chicken – and for $60!

Shake and bake fries were just ok. Anyways, they removed the drinks (me and mom got a burnt orange thing that was completely awesome) and we had a $25 restaurant.com gift certificate (that I paid like $5 for) so it ended up costing only like $200. I mean the food and drink was mostly good, it just didn’t wow us. Didn’t feel like dessert so we just paid the bill and tried to walk through the lobby but it was packed and was a bar. Back home to watch a little Sienfeld and to bed.

Its gonna get cold.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

Wednesday Dec 8, 2010 - day 5

Up and off to Animal Kingdom at around 10ish. Checked to see if we could make a reservation for 6:30 at Rain Forest Café as they had told us on the phone they couldn’t (so we could join the Carney’s for dinner.) Head to safari right away for a 30 min wait. Great ride and lots of animals out and about. Walked the trail and got a ton of great photos of the baby gorilla. Too cute – hung out to watch him for quite a while.

Went to lunch at Pizzafari. I got the Italian sandwich and everyone else got the pizza - it was actually pretty good. Over to see the Nemo show and meet up with the Carneys to do Dinosaur. Kids loved it so went back on again.

Off to ride Everest. Everyone rode except Dad and Jim. I couldn’t believe the kids went on. It scares me but it was fun! It ended up getting too late so the tigers were already closed – bummer. Did tough to be a bug – Logan didn’t like the spiders! Back to Dinosaur for the kids and then Danny got us all in for dinner at RFC. Good drinks and appetizers for dinner. I helped Logan do some puzzles and they brought me ice cream for my birthday. Did some shopping and playing in the huge store. Back to the room at around 9:00, couple of drinks and off to bed. Bummer – Danny has a cold.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

Thursday Dec 9, 2010
Slept in until 9:30. Mom and dad went off and we just vegged a little and read our puppy books. Waited for about 30 minutes for a bus to downtown. Still cool out but has warmed up some. Had sandwiches at Earl. Huge line but it moves pretty fast. I had the holiday turkey and gravy – pretty good. Danny got a Full Montague and a tortilla soup.

Was so forward to going to TrenD but most of the stuff was really out there. Did some damage at WOD – what else is new. Two cool new t-shirts, scarf with hidden Mickey’s, measuring spoons, coasters and a shot glass for pop and a Pluto for Samson. Got a chocolate and butter finger pretzel from the candy store and head back to the buses around 4:30. Back top the villa and Danny takes a nap and mom and I went for a nice hot tub. Showers and then off to Magic Kingdom to catch the monorail to Contemporary for 7:40 ressies at California Grill.

They said they were running about 20 min behind but we could wait for a window seat – 5 minutes later we get beeped and are at a great seat with a great view.

Mom and dad started with French martinis, I got a dirty martini and Danny got a mai-tai and then saki wine. Three of us had the delicious goat cheese ravioli. Danny had Yoshi’s sampler – really good and really pretty. We all had the filet. Danny had to send his back (what else is new) as it was overcooked. But they sent out a soup and the steak was done in a few minutes. We were trying to stretch the meal as the fireworks were at 9:30.

Danny and I split a yummy banana dessert and Mom and dad spilt a pecan tart. They also brought me the chocolate birthday cake – yum! Fireworks go off as we start to eat – sweet! Walk back to catch the bus from MK and home by 11 and off to bed.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

Friday Dec 10

I let Danny sleep late to try and kill his cold. Since its colder then expected I did some laundry and had to wait for my jeans to dry so we didn’t get to MGM until around 1:00. Toy Story was down so we got Fast Passes for RNR and got cheeseburger and chicken tenders for lunch. Walked around the shops and went on TOT with a 10 minute wait. Then back to RNR and saw Idol – it was really cool, maybe we should watch the show. Tried to get on Toy Story but it was a 130 minute wait – not gonna happen this year.

Saw the lights with the crowds again. See the Little Mermaid, Movie Ride, got a specialty drink that was yummy and then walked to Boardwalk and over to ESPN for Nachos and hot wings. Back to the room for some tv and a drink and to bed around 11.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

Sat Dec 11

Can’t believe a week has gone by already. It is supposed to warm up today! I got a blueberry muffin from the shop and we are off at about 11:30 to walk over to Fantasia mini golf. What a fun time! Danny did Pop proud. Everyone of us had funny shots – we were laughing so hard. A woman was watching us and laughing at us at the first hole. A couple behind us didn’t want to play through as they were laughing at us. Dad won and I came in second.

It actually got pretty warm out today. Walked to the Swan for the bus to MK then boat to Grand Floridian, but we were 20 minutes late for the tea ressie that they say they did not have in their system. Called dining and they could not find it. Didn’t really feel like sitting with the old ladies having tea, and a little bit aggravated that there was no record of my reservation I made a so I made an executive diction and we took the monorail to the Poly for lunch at Captain Cooks.

Dad got a burger, mom got a flatbread, Danny got pulled pork and I got a yummy Poly Salad. Walked around a little and bought a towel for 50% off. Back to MK to catch a bus home. Finally off to the pool. Did the slide 2 times (chilly walking out on the sidewalk but fun!) and the hot tub and the freaky sinking sand. Spent some time in the whirlpool and spent a little over an hour playing around in the pool. Got a delicious rum runner in the bar and back to the room to get ready for dinner at Raglan Road.

Went to the store to get some Captains and they were all out so we walked to the Yacht Club store so we had a little later start than we had hoped. Thank goodness as we ended up with an awesome bus driver – Drew, who had us cracking up! He made me stand up (when the bus stopped) and sing Happy Birthday to myself, then when people got on at the next stop he had them all say happy birthday and then sing to me. He played cash cab (bus) I was crying by now – I got most of the questions right – he was just too funny and I miss that kind of interaction with the bus drivers.

Checked in at Raglan and had about a 15 minute wait. Danny and I got the beer flights and we split the appy sampler – just OK. Mom and I got fish and chips, Danny got a mix of sausage, beef, lamb and blood sausage that he really liked and dad got a ham thing. Other than Danny we thought it was just ok. Got the bread and butter pudding which makes it worth the trip – best dessert ever. Music and dancers are fun, but probably wont be back (well maybe for dessert?)

Walked around the west side which was kind of neat as I didn’t know they had different performers playing music and stuff. Not that interested in any of the stores – that Vinylmation stuff is just too weird. Couldn’t believe it was 11:00 when we got on the bus. Home and stayed up a little too late chatting and tv and to bed at 1:30.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

We were there the same time and I agree it was COLD! We were even more unprepared than you (and we're from New England too)! Luckily, we had a rental car so we went off to spend $75 on hats, gloves, and sweatshirts. Loved Candelight Processional and glad we saw the Christmas decorations but not sure we'd go again that time of year again. Loved your report!
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
Old 03-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

Sun Dec 12
Up around 9:30 and did some laundry and got Danny up at 11 and out the door around 12 for Epcot. Started out warm but started to rain and got chilly. We started the day in just t-shirts but headed back for jackets – thank goodness – as it ended up pretty windy and chilly. Did mission space and fast pass for Test Track. Did the Segway which was pretty short but fun. I was suprised at how easy it was!

Off to Crush – I adore this, I’ts just too cute. Met up with the Carneys and waited with them for almost an hour for Test Track and gave them our fast passes to use later. Off to Norway and then to Mexico for Tequila flight (I asked if they had margarita one and they said no?)

Danny and Jim took off for the Pat’s game and I stayed with Tracy and the kids. Rode Mexico, got a frozen margarita and then we did a couple of Kim Possible mission. How cool was this – we had so much fun and Logan was so cute and excited especially when he got the golf ball in the phone booth and he had no idea how he did it. Couldn’t figure out the last clue in France and the phone battery ended up dieing but I thought this was adorable and wished we had time to do more. Walked all the way around the world and caught up with everyone in Canada. Danny and Jim had definitely had a few.

Off to dinner at Le’ Cellier. I had a fruity margarita and everyone had cheddar soup and filet- delicious but I just wasn’t that hungry. Had an adorable waiter – Jared/Aaron.

Rush out to catch the final fireworks with mom and then head home for the last time. Got our boarding passes at the front desk – B and start to pack a little as Danny sleeps. Off to bed at 11:30.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

Mon Dec 13
Boo-hoo. Up at 8:30 for packing – went pretty smoothly and we are checking our luggage by 10:00. Oh no - it’s really cold out today, hear it was warmer back home. Off to Magic Kingdom to do Pirates and catch the tutorial.

Said 20 minutes for BTM but it was not even 10, we skipped Splash as it was too cold. Haunted Mansion and then stopped by a new place for a yummy lunch. Columbia Harbor house. Line was out the door but it went pretty quickly (people were just looking for places to get warm.) I had tuna and Danny had chicken BLT salad and we split a chowder, mom and dad got chowder and split a tuna sandwich. I’ve read about people saying this is a great tuna sandwich and it really was!

Wanted to go on Peter Pan but 50min wait so we didn’t so we did Philharmagic! again. Mom and dad went to Hall of Presidents and we went to Space Mountain but it was 50 min wait and we didn’t have time so we just take some pictures and go back and buy a sweatshirt I have been eying all week. See mom and dad walking out of the park and meet up for the busses back home (couldn’t believe we just happened to run into them a second time like that.)

Buy my tinkerbell socks in the store at the Beach Club – so bummed as I wanted the towel that said Mine, mine on it but they were sold out, as everyone was buying towels to use as blankets. Off on Magical Express and meet up with the Carney’s in the security line at the airport (once again, how odd to meet up like that.) I go with Jim and Danny for a couple of drinks and the poor new guy waiter screws it up. Bacardi – no, Crown – no, Captains – yes. Guy next to us gives us a free drink ticket for the plane. Bought a cheese/bread/grape thing at the store to hold us over as we weren’t that hungry. Our seat mate gave us another drink ticket. Flight a little bumpy so the drinks helped.

Had a lot of fun as usual. Weather was a downer but it could have been a lot worse. Loved sharing some of our favorites with the Carney's and it was fun to have kids with us again. Good thing I have a conference scheduled in Orlando next September – we will be back!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: