Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
ksmithrpd
Earning My Ears

I want to work for Disney

I have seen a lot of comments about the CP Program. Does anyone know what it is like to be a regular full time castmember?
ksmithrpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Are you looking for hourly or salaried?
Would you have to move to the Orlando area?
Are you currently a student, recently graduated from college, or a retiree looking for something to help keep you out of trouble?
The WDW Jobline is 407-828-1000.
Depending on what you will be doing, as an hourly employye it is not easy to start off as full-time. If you are a professional you can start in a salaried (full-time) position.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Dismom+two
Dh and I always refer to it as "The Almighty Boards"
Wanted: Warm fuzzy feelings
I am still walking...haven't dropped yet
Almost left the bookstore without her lapdance

Someday when I retire, I want to move to Florida and work there part time.
Dismom+two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
simonkodousek
438 Miles From My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismom+two View Post
I totally agree!

simonkodousek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
ninecrayons
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismom+two View Post
My dad is about to retired and my parents are planning to move to Florida... I think I may just have found the perfect second career for them!

"and then the world, / which is round and has only / the colors of these nine crayons" - Margaret Atwood

ninecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

I have an idea that the work is probably harder than it seems.

And if I worked there as a retirement job, I would not want to work if the temperature was over 80. Think they'd agree to that?
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
BethEJo
I left the house at 5.45am - that's unheard of for a student
WDW CM 19/06/11 - 02/09/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmithrpd View Post
I have seen a lot of comments about the CP Program. Does anyone know what it is like to be a regular full time castmember?
When you say CP, you're talking about the college program right?

I'm doing the international college program this summer at WDW and will be working on attractions. The Disney recruiters were very keen to get across to us the fact that working for the world is going to be hard work. CP CMs often work unsociable hours and we were told that we might occasionally find ourselves working 60 hour weeks! Ouch!

Nevertheless, I still can't wait!

There are loads of disers who have done the CP over on the college boards. They're a great bunch and will happily pass on their experiences of the CP.

However, if you werent referring to the college program, then completely ignore my post
BethEJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
disneydad78
DDC #106
More important its about having some FUN!
We just LOVE its a small world!!;)

Does anyone know if they staff RN's on site or at the parks? Wife and both are RN's and we are thinking about moving to Davenport to work in the Orlando area. Only problem is, the pay is not that great for RN's.
DISDADS member #106
(DD 16)(DS 12)(DS 8)(DW 32)(ME 35)
OffSite ('92) OffSite ('05) BonnetCreek ('07) BonnetCreek ('08) POR ('09) POR ('10) POR MVMCP ('11) POR MVMCP ('12) upcoming POR MNSSHP ('13)
disneydad78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Yes, Disney uses lots of RNs.

Every Park has a RN-staffed First Aid Station which is open from Park opening to closing. The theme parks have at least two on duty at all times, while I think that the water parks have at least one.

In addition, there is the Cast Health Services. Sometimes if a person gets ill during the day they have to go there for an excused absence. Also, if you have any medical condition which will require a workplace limitation you have to process it through Health Services, so all your supervisor knows is you have a physical limitation and what the restrictions are and not what is the cause of the limitiation.

And the nurses are moved between the Parks and Health Services.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Ms. Belle
Today is my Unbirthday!

@Cheshire Figment - I've applied many times through the disney website for salaried positions in the logistics department. The job descriptions align with what I'm doing now, so I feel qualified. I never get any return calls or e-mails other than the standrard e-mail advising that they've received my resume. I live in CT, but am willling to relocate (which I've done before), so that isn't an issue. I'm not sure why I'm not getting any other response from Disney. Do you have any insight?
Ms. Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #11
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Belle View Post
@Cheshire Figment - I've applied many times through the disney website for salaried positions in the logistics department. The job descriptions align with what I'm doing now, so I feel qualified. I never get any return calls or e-mails other than the standard e-mail advising that they've received my resume. I live in CT, but am willing to relocate (which I've done before), so that isn't an issue. I'm not sure why I'm not getting any other response from Disney. Do you have any insight?
Two answers for your question.

One is that unless you have a real special skill they are looking for they don't want to pay relocation.

The other is the level of bureaucracy. Judy and I both worked for the Federal Government until we retired. As we often told people, until we started dealing extensively with Disney we thought we worked for the largest bureaucracy in the world. And within any bureaucracy, the HR department is always the most bureaucratic.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

I know salaried/professional positions are extremely hard to come by and very competitive and they promote from within quite often. I still kick myself for no trying for an advanced internship after my CP. But even those are highly competitive and my chances were probably slim.

I agree that working at the world is often a lot harder than it looks, especially for the CP. Out of the 6 of us, only 2 had decent jobs (entertainment and attractions- Circle of Life movie). the rest of us worked our fingers to the bone, crazy hours, tracking down strollers after closing all over the park (yep, you leave it somehwere, someone's gotta pick it up later!)......taking heavy pans of greasy turkey legs out of the oven and later cleaning out that oven (yeah, she smelled like grease the entire semester!)......bussing tables, washing silverware in the back with NO guest interaction (yep, lucky me!).....chopping veggies in a kitchen.......restocking heavy trays of desserts into a fridge.....cleaning up that puke after Jr. has too many mickey bars! and all that for about $5 an hour. It isn't all fun and glorious. i hated the days i had to work in back and had zero guest interaction. at least on the front line, i could see guests having a good time while i slaved away! but regardless of how much hard work it was, i cherish that time and memory and consider myself lucky to have had the chance!

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
exwdwcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
I know salaried/professional positions are extremely hard to come by and very competitive and they promote from within quite often. I still kick myself for no trying for an advanced internship after my CP. But even those are highly competitive and my chances were probably slim.
I would venture to say that in order to get into Disney with a professional position not only would require many, many qualifications being met but also knowing someone that can help you never hurts. Sometimes it's the reason you get an interview in the first place...because of a friend's recommendation. I can't imagine Disney is different from other companies in that regard.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #14
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Wink

It depends on where you work but working for the mouse isn't always easy. I worked as a hourly person and was also in the CP.

Plus: You do get a good work experience working with all different kinds of people. Disney does look good on a resume. Either way you get in to the parks for free except maybe holidays.

Minuses- The pay is not great. I made minimum wage on CP and a lot of that went to my rent. I did slightly better on Hourly but not much. This might have changed since I worked for them during the 90's. And higher position as with all companies are hard to get not impossible but hard.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cast member, employment, work experience

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: