Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Pongo53
Spent 11 minutes in Magic Kingdom on 1/10/10!

An Extremely Goofy Trip Report

This is my first thread, and I'd like to thank Dolce27 for giving me the courage to make it. She had such a great thread last year on the preparation for doing her first Disney Marathon, I thought I'd share a few pictures of our 2011 trip. We decided for our second Disney to try the Goofy Challenge--as how much harder could it be to do that little extra 13.1 the day before the full 26.2 miles?

So we set out for WDW on Tuesday evening, after DD3's school. We'd pulled her out for 4 days right after being back from Christmas break only two days. DD2 was not due back until the Wednesday after the marathon.

We had to stay off-site this trip as we brought our Bichon and our Cavalier King Charles with us, and we can give good marks to the Holiday Inn Express on Palm Parkway--it is pet friendly and people friendly.

The girls got to do the parks on their own while we dog-sat, because they would be dog-sitting for us when we went to the expo and the races. They like to sleep in, anyway, so it works out great.

The weather was much better this year, and we did not mind the long waits on Saturday and Sunday after getting to the corral staging areas. Everything was well organized, and went so smoothly, you would never guess how many people they were orchestrating every day.

All the volunteers were extra-nice and very eager to help, with water, poweraid and gels, and this year, I ran without a hydration belt on Sunday. That worked out a lot better than carrying my own liquid. I carried a belt pouch on Saturday for gels, and I'd never used it before (not biight!), and could not keep it centered. Sunday, I just wore long pants because it was colder and carried the gels in one pocket and the camera in the other. Much better!

Just to get this thread started, I'm going to post this now, and add bits as I go. Here are a few sample pictures from the weekend, and I will post more if there is any interest.

It is glorious to be running at WDW at dawn.

..and I will never get tired of the view running up Main Street towards the castle at MK. This was Sunday--we were there before dawn on Saturday.

Posting this pic for DD2 and Dolce27--I think they both have a thing for the Mad Hatter. That's not me, I just snapped it whilst running by.

THAT's me (on the left). I was running out of glycogen stores by mile 21, and stopped to get this picture to try to take a deep breath, and get on with it. Also, my son is a Marine, so I had to stop here.

Got this shot for my daughters who absolutely love Princess and the frog. They are college age, yet never went anywhere without their plush Louis and Ray. Tiana and Navene loved seeing their movie fans when they would see them at character greets and in the parade. Not a lot of Princess and the Frog merchandise in the park this year.

Not the best pic, but me on the way to TTC in the MK parking lot. A wonderful lady saw me snapping shots while I ran, and we traded cameras to take a shot of each other. ( Thanks, Leeane!)

Perdita, back at the hotel and freshened up a bit. She fell and injured herself at mile 11.2 Sunday, and I am so proud of her for making it to the finish. She may not be able to run Houston like we planned on the 30th--that's just three weeks after the Goofy. For those interested, she tripped on the carpet covering the grated bridge leaving MK. Anyone else have trouble there? But, she tried to not let it affect her badly, she really wanted the Goofy medal, and she actually did negative splits, 4-5 minutes faster in the second than in the first half. BTW--for all that, I think she finished third in the Goofy in her age group!!! Fifth in the half and 11th in the full. She had never run before summer 2009. WDW was her first marathon ever, last year.

Me, not cleaned up, after the event. I was pretty used up as I had done my nutrition between races insufficiently well, or I just went for too much Sunday. Let me be a lesson to you. The last six miles were not fun this year, but I never stopped trying. Its just that there was no glycogen left in the leg muscles to respond to my brain. More on this in a future post. Also, that's "Tinkerbell", our car, behind me, and I did not lose her in the parking lot this year. That's the thing--my brain was still fine, my muscle stores in the legs were just depleted.

And this is what makes the whole trip worthwhile. DD2 and DD3 dancing to a Princess and the Frog song outside of World of Disney at DD. This was spontaneous, and just full of innocence and joy. I love them so much.

More, soon. about being Goofy at the happiest place on earth.

Last edited by Pongo53; 02-04-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Dolce27
It's kind of hard to ride with someone when your on vacation by yourself
I knew that impulsive decision would come back to haunt me!

Awesome start! Sorry it's taken me so long to come over - things have been hectic at work since I came back last Thursday.

As you know, I only ran the full on Sunday. I ran in spandex capris. Will NOT be posting photos of that. (sorry to those who had to see me in them at the race ) I had my running pants packed but went with the capris and was fine in them. Last year it was running tights! You're correct - weather MUCH better this year.

I know exactly where you're talking about, coming out of the MK, where your wife fell. I'm sorry that happened to her and I'm glad she's alright for the most part. That was a tricky area but I guess that Disney doesn't know how better to fix it.

Curious - how do you fuel? I've never had problems with my glycogen stores and I'm curious about those who do how, exactly, they fuel.

Oh- and you're right - LOVE the Mad Hatter. I saw him standing minus Alice when I ran through the MK. I didn't want pic's of me in spandex so I didn't stop.

I can't wait to read more. Keep it coming.
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Humphrey Bear
DIS Veteran

Great trip report so far. I can't even fathom running a marathon but maybe doing it at Disney might actually get me interested in running. It actually sounds like fun. Of course I would want to stop and get photos with all the characters just to get a break.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the TR! I am so impressed that you both ran in the marathon. Me being the athletic one, I don't know that I could run to my mailbox and back.

I love the pics, especially the dawn one. It is really beautiful. It does look like ya'll had a good time. Now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing much frog & princess stuff.

I hate to hear that your wife injured herself. I hope she'll heal quickly. Don't let her back running too early, though.

Now that I've seen these, I need more pics...
Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
Grog
Semper Gumby
Loves to ride the riverboats
"What is Steel, Compared to the hand that wields it?"

Great TR and great pics! Hope your wife is feeling better in time to run here in Houston. Thanks for sharing

Would love to hear more about the trip when you have time to write.

Last edited by Grog; 01-19-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your trip report.

Good for you for running the marathon! Congrats to your wife, too. Sorry she got injured though.

Love the photos...the first one is very pretty. And I loved the part about your daughters dancing in Downtown Disney. What a magical memory...and really, that's what it's all about.

Can't wait to read more!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
eyor44
DIS Veteran

Great start! I remember you from Dolce's TR last year when you mentioned losing your car in the parking lot. Something I would do, thank goodness for Disney transportation.
I'm one of the walkers who start at the back and finish at the back. We did the 5K and 1/2. I remember the spot you are talking about coming out of MK. I remember thinking "trip hazard", but you are correct. Not a much better way of covering it.
Love the pics you posted, especially the first one. The sunrise was wonderful to see.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
"Got Disney"
They’re like Lays chips...just cant get enough
Little Angels come and take them away
We need to smack them all in the heads and say "WAKE UP YAHOOS"

Look forward to reading more....I would love to run a Disney marathon....but just to darn lazy love the picture with the Castle

just relax Mun :wooho
Old 01-20-2011, 02:14 AM   #9
Pongo53

I'll get back to posting a bit more as soon as I can tomorrow. After getting back to Texas, DW and I both got hit by the flu, but we are getting through it. Thanks quickly to everyone for reading and commenting--I'll post responsive comments soon, I promise.

The thing is, we are entered in the Houston marathon on Sunday, just 10 days from now, and neither Perdita nor I have run a step since the afternoon of the Disney. This may be tough, especially without furry animals and Disney Magic to pull us through!

To tide you over until more pics, here is a link to a Youtube video I made about how our first entry in the WDW marathon came about. I hope it is funny, but beware that I did--against my better judgement--leave a "g-d" in there **cringe** so it is not what I would call G rated--but hopefully still instructive and funny. Well, mostly funny. I hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAaI6...eature=feedlik

I'm honestly practically new at running, at 58, so if I can do it so can almost anyone.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
Charade
I'm the one on the LEFT side of my avatar!
Yanno, stooopid shouldn't be that funny
Poop flush, poop flush, poop flush, THEN wipe flush and so on

Awesome!

I used to run (in my 20s) but not today. I enjoyed it. I don't think I could run a half let alone a full marathon. And I'm a bit younger than you.
Offsite 97,99,00,01,02,03,04,05,05,06,07,08
Onsite CBR 06,Dolphin 08
Next trip: ????

This siggy approved by SwedishMeatball
Old 01-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
Zippa D Doodah
Suffering from Fairy Alienation. Is there a program for that?
I'm such a shameless taghound!
I am an unabashed Q-tipper !

That's awesome! Pretty inspiring that you have started running later in life, yet climbed that marathon mountain. Good trip report!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

Joining in...I just ran the wine and dine half back in October and I love reading about other's experiences running at WDW
Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #13
"Got Disney"
They’re like Lays chips...just cant get enough
Little Angels come and take them away
We need to smack them all in the heads and say "WAKE UP YAHOOS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo53 View Post
I'll get back to posting a bit more as soon as I can tomorrow. After getting back to Texas, DW and I both got hit by the flu, but we are getting through it. Thanks quickly to everyone for reading and commenting--I'll post responsive comments soon, I promise.

The thing is, we are entered in the Houston marathon on Sunday, just 10 days from now, and neither Perdita nor I have run a step since the afternoon of the Disney. This may be tough, especially without furry animals and Disney Magic to pull us through!

To tide you over until more pics, here is a link to a Youtube video I made about how our first entry in the WDW marathon came about. I hope it is funny, but beware that I did--against my better judgement--leave a "g-d" in there **cringe** so it is not what I would call G rated--but hopefully still instructive and funny. Well, mostly funny. I hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAaI6...eature=feedlik

I'm honestly practically new at running, at 58, so if I can do it so can almost anyone.
sorry to hear you are both sick...hope you feel better soon...
loved your video...it was very funny and very clever will check back to see when you have began to post again....if not before your next marathon...good luck

just relax Mun :wooho
Old 01-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #14
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

Love your trip report!!

Look forward to reading more.
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
Old 01-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Pongo53

Hi Shannon! I'd love to hear about the Wine and Dine run. Pics and everything! If you don't want to post your own thread about it, please feel free to jump in here.

And Eyor44, great to hear from you again--so happy you remember me. It always feels like family here.

Blestmom, Grog, and mfd25wife: Perdita and I both tried running after our illness let up some, and she still hurts from the fall, but she may be able to run Houston, just without great expectations. But then, she ran the Princess half last year just two weeks after neuroma flareups from the Austin hills, and she managed 7th. Perdy is one tough little cookie, so I'm not counting her out yet.

Charade, Humphrey Bear & Got Disney, yes you can do it, and Disney makes it fun. It is just one step at a time, and your first time there will be a lot of support from other first timer runners--at the Disney it is all about fun and helping others. A lot of people run/walk just for the fun of seeing the parks and the character greets/photo ops.

...and Dolce! Thank you so much for stopping in. I saw your pictures, and you look great, spandex pants and all. Now I just have to see if I can get my son's marriage annulled. He'd love you! ...and to answer about how I fuel, I use PowerBar brand gels, about one every six miles, or more as needed. I use the chocolate as it is thicker. The mocha is good, too, but a bit thin if it gets warm. Perdy likes PowerShot blocks, but I can't cope with them. My problem was not energy in the last 10k of the full--I was fine for energy, it was the glycogen stores in the legs that ran out, and I will try to put together an explanation of that in a future post. Briefly, as I understand it, glycogen is fuel for the muscles, specific to a group of muscles, and cannot be shared with other muscles. So even if you are fine in upper body stores, if you run out in the legs, you can't get any more until your body goes through the lengthy restoration process--it will not happen during a race. Which is why we try to not go out too hot and burn it up early, and also avoid building up lactic acid toxins in the muscles from starting out even fifteen seconds per mile more than you can do. I'll have to ask Perdita more about this as she is the one who studies it--I just run for fun.

We are having fun, right? I ask only because I just saw my pictures from ASI from AK, HS, and the finish line.

So, now more pics from the marathon weekend. I thought I'd start today with the Expo at the ESPN complex.

We got to the complex early, so that DD2 and DD3 could get to MK as soon in the day as possible.

It really is an impressive place to go to register... and shop(!)

The stairs in--after all those months of training, you don't want to trip here!

The objective: get registered quickly so you can shop before all the Goofy Merchandise disappears. (BTW: I'm small for a Texan, just 5'6", and small frame--would it hurt Disney to have made some Marathon, or Goofy Challenge jackets in a small? I was told they did not bother with small jackets in men's this year. Oh, well, I got a nice sweatshirt.)

This friendly volunteer (from Texas(!)) registered us.

...which released us to shop

...and envision beating the dwarfs out of the castle, in style

Then across the way, this friendly lady welcomed us to the Expo part of packet pick-up.

and these volunteers gave us our event shirts. Since we did the Goofy, that meant three tech shirts each! Nice long sleeve tech shirts, too.

If you forgot to pack anything, plenty of chance to rectify that mistake here.

Looks like I forgot a hot dog. Good thing they had some here. Actually, it was medicinal, honest. I woke up with a sore throat and the soft Disney hot dog had me back in top shape to run. Really! Oh, weird thing though--softest hotdogs on the planet, and I managed to lose a filling with it. I need still to get to the dentist to have that fixed. All these reasons not to run, yet onward we press.

Leaving the expo, there was still a line to get in. It's Disney. There are supposed to be lines, right?

Then back at the hotel, the pets helped us lay out our things. Wait till you see how they "helped" us have room service! Oh, and a nice surprise was that we both got Corral B for the half, so we could start together. Perdy got C for the full, and I got D, which is where we should have been based on times--it worked out well.

I'll post more of the parks and race real soon, now that we are feeling back to normal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: