Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #31
Mrs. Charming
I'm not your entertainment, get a life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
Like other people have said, I don't really like it other than in small gimmicky doses at WDW, Universal, etc.

But then I also don't really like surround sound. When I watch a movie I don't "become" the character IN the movie like some people seem to (e.g. my husband). Nor do I want to. I want to watch a story as just what I am - a moviegoer. So why do I want to hear a dog bark or a helicopter coming from behind me? I want the sound to come from the direction of the screen, or maybe just to the left or right. But sometimes it's just plain startling to hear noises coming from behind me.

But I understand that some people like the immersion, so that's fine. I'm just one who doesn't watch movies to feel like I'm in them.

And the 3D just never seems that good to me. I'm constantly annoyed by the glasses over my own glasses. And 3-D movies seem dimmer.
LOL, I don't need to "become" a Golden Girl or a Nanny from Queens!
DD3 is a BIG SISTER! ...and now has a brand new little BROTHER!
Mrs. Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:33 PM   #32
moon
DIS Veteran

I don't get the appeal either, and I think it won't stick (again).

I disagree that people don't like change; at least when it comes to tv and movies. Talkies, color films and CinemaScope where instant successes which where immediately embraced by audiences who never wanted to go back at the way things were before; same thing happended with TV. Everyone wanted a color TV as soon as they came out, and these huge rectangular TVs are rapidly replacing the old square CTRs.

I think there changes became the norm because they easily enchance the viewing experience, while 3d is cumbersome and it has a negative effect in too many people. This is the third of fourth time they have tried to sell it to the public. I doubt it will have better luck and stick this time.

Can you imagine anyone saying "I don't like sound in movies" or I don't care for color TV"? No, IMO 3d will continue to be a special treat in some movies, but it will never go mainstream, and I doubt those tvs will become the norm
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #33
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-E1 View Post
I really enjoy seeing 3-D movies in the theaters.
It should be noted that the 3D technology in home televisions, being sold today, is far better than the 3D technology you see in theaters. Theaters use passive stereoscopy technology. Today's televisions use active shutter technology, resulting in a much brighter, clearer picture than passive technology could.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:12 AM   #34
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
I see the appeal of 3D not nearly as wide as Hollywood and TV manufacturers think it is.
Or perhaps you're projecting a perception onto the studios and consumer electronics manufacturers that they, themselves, don't actually hold.

Clearly, as you yourself indicated, there needs to be some hook that draws people into making new purchases. Our whole retail economy hinges on the ability to keep people buying things. So a smart manufacturer will work, each year, to add new features and functions to what they sell, to attract sales. But that doesn't obviate the actual value of these new features and functions. They represent real value to the customers who care about 3D.

Keep in mind that the difference in price between a current-year television with 3D technology and a current-year television that is in every other way identical is so small that it makes no sense to offer both. All major manufacturers have determined this, and that's why you won't see a single manufacturer offering two different lines of televisions, one with and one without 3D, but rather, instead, you'll see 3D as simply a value-added feature on the upper-end of the manufacturers' lines.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #35
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I don't get the appeal either, and I think it won't stick (again).
First, they said the same thing about many previous advancements (and you provided a great list, later in your message). Second, this isn't your father's 3D. The reason why 3D is being rolled out now is because technology has finally caught up, and can now provide a way of accomplishing what was attempted many decades ago, before the technology was there to accomplish what they were trying to accomplish.

Quote:
I disagree that people don't like change; at least when it comes to tv and movies. Talkies, color films and CinemaScope where instant successes which where immediately embraced by audiences who never wanted to go back at the way things were before; same thing happended with TV.
Good point, but in each of those cases, people said pretty-much the same thing as people are saying now about 3D.

To be clear, though: 3D isn't going to even be anywhere near as big of a change as some of those things. Those things were complete changes, discarding the old and ushering in the new. 3D won't be that invasive. It is like multi-angle broadcast. This is a feature that many televisions have had for years, which is available with a very small number of broadcasts. (The only ones I have heard of are NASCAR races, and then, only on certain cable channels.) 3D will be like that. Not every title will offer 3D - rather, only those where it makes the most sense. So it isn't even going to be that big of a deal for people.

Quote:
Everyone wanted a color TV as soon as they came out, and these huge rectangular TVs are rapidly replacing the old square CTRs.
It took over ten years from the time HDTVs were introduced before a majority of homes had them.

Quote:
Can you imagine anyone saying "I don't like sound in movies"
We just saw a poster saying that they don't like multi-channel audio, don't like being immersed in the programming they watch. People have different preferences, and indeed those preferences have, and will continue to change over time.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #36
LuvCuteBoys
Doing good is not a competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrkitn View Post
Me. There are a few that are worthy of being in 3D IMO, like Tron (which was excellent in IMAX 3D btw), but most don't need it. Besides, as one who wears eyeglasses everyday, having to wear 3D glasses over my regular set can be a PITA.
This is the reason why I don't like 3D movies, either. I have no problem with studios making 3D movies as long as the 2D version is also being released.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #37
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvCuteBoys View Post
This is the reason why I don't like 3D movies, either. I have no problem with studios making 3D movies as long as the 2D version is also being released.
That points out one the good aspects of this latest technology. The way it works is that the video stream has enough data for what is essentially two movies - one movie for the right eye, and one movie for the left eye. On my BD player, whenever I want, I can press the 3D button and turn on and off one of the two movies. So essentially, every 3D disc is also a 2D disc, if you just want to watch the movie without the glasses on.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #38
GoofyBaby
Happily married music teacher and Disney lover extraordinaire!

I prefer 2D versions of films...I startle easily so I cannot fully enjoy a movie while trying to anticipate when things are going to jump out at me. Hubby loves 3D however, so I will still go to 3D movies so that he can enjoy them.

3/07: Grand Californian! 5/07: Pop Century/Polynesian! 10/07: Pop Century DIS Meet! 12/08: Pop Century for MVMCP! 12/11: 1st trip w/ Hubby (& Hubby's 1st trip)!
My Disneyland Spring Break Trip Report! The Princess and The Knave Take on The World! Read My Trip Report Here!
GoofyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #39
Rora
I'm the needy, sexy Unicorn fruit-hating Ballerina
I just eat it. I bite into it.

I don't care for 3D movies at all. They make my head hurt and for some reason, I seem to be very aware that I'm wearing 3D glasses on my face the entire time.

Sure, it looks neat but I don't think it looks THAT spectacular. Usually, I wouldn't spend the extra $3-5 to see it in 3D unless DH really wants to.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #40
DisneyScraps
DIS Veteran

I bought my DBF a 3D TV for Christmas. I was hesitant because there isn't a lot of programming. Nothing really jumps out at you it's just very lifelike. We LOVE it. The TV also had 2D simulation and it makes regular TV really sharp and lifelike. I can't believe how clear the picture is. For us it was worth it just for the clarity on the TV.

Lisa
DisneyScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #41
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyScraps View Post
The TV also had 2D simulation and it makes regular TV really sharp and lifelike. I can't believe how clear the picture is. For us it was worth it just for the clarity on the TV.
Which brand is it? I'm curious... I have a Samsung, and the 2D->3D simulation mode is mind-blowing. I never thought that (real) 3D would be a good as this 2D->3D simulation is. I'm wondering if that's all credit to Samsung, or are other brands also doing great work with their simulation modes.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #42
DisneyScraps
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Which brand is it? I'm curious... I have a Samsung, and the 2D->3D simulation mode is mind-blowing. I never thought that (real) 3D would be a good as this 2D->3D simulation is. I'm wondering if that's all credit to Samsung, or are other brands also doing great work with their simulation modes.
We have a Sony Bravia LED 3D the 2 D Simulation is almost as good as the 3D and it blows us away!

Lisa
DisneyScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #43
bicker
DIS Veteran

Great to know that the other brands are doing a good job with that as well. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #44
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvCuteBoys View Post
Exactly. I also agree with what other posters have said about the price. It already costs us $9 each for DH and I to go to an AMC theater to see a non-3D movie. The price goes up to $11 to see a movie in 3D. When we took our DS8 to see Tron in IMAX/3D it cost us $16 a piece.

I don't understand this whole 3D hype Most movies aren't worthy of it. Very few IMO are. The CGI (or any other type of action) must be REALLY, REALLY good to have that type status.

Although, I do have to admit that the type of 3D and the type of 3D glasses have changed. One poster mentioned that they could not adjust to it and was seeing double vision. That was the problem I had in the beginning prior to the glasses and 3D being changed. My vision just could not adjust and I couldn't watch anything that was in 3D (which was mostly short films at places like Liberty Science Center in NJ, museums, etc).

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
cybrkitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:29 AM   #45
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't understand this whole 3D hype Most movies aren't worthy of it.
I've seen people say this before, and it doesn't make sense to me, since actually very few movies are being made for 3D.

Quote:
Although, I do have to admit that the type of 3D and the type of 3D glasses have changed. One poster mentioned that they could not adjust to it and was seeing double vision.
That poster, I believe, was talking about 3D in theaters, using the older polarized stereoscopic technology. As far as I know, there aren't any theaters, yet, that offer the newer, active technology. That technology, so far, is only available for home.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: