Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Ella View Post
I can see that. Personally for me I definitely can't do IMAX. It's just an overload for me and last time I tried it gave me a severe panic attack, lol. Hence why I don't do IMAX 3D or otherwise.
It is interesting... 3D is really just one more layer of it, but the long-term trend in home entertainment, and really in filmed/recorded entertainment in general, is toward a more immersive viewing experience. It "started" (at least as far as I'm concerned) with multi-channel audio ("surround sound"). With some shows, that immersiveness is really tweaked - The Unit really sticks in my mind - with the sniper rounds flying back and forth and feeling the explosions, rather than just hearing them. Then came wider screens, higher definition, etc. 3D is just the next step of immersiveness.

But greater immersiveness is unquestionably more intense. You know how they say, "May be too intense for certain viewers..." Well, intensity, especially with regard to action, is not a straight-line equation, between age and how intense you like your video entertainment to be. It's a person-by-person thing. Kind-of like roller coasters. For some folks, no matter how old they get, that kind of intense ride is not going to be pleasing, while for even some young children its the best thing since sliced bread.

And so I think that's really going to be the differentiator: How intense do you like your video entertainment. And just like theme parks, there will be people who like the more intense stuff and folks who don't. What is changing is our ability to provide the more intense experiences... that's something that is improving steadily over time.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #17
Mrs. Charming
I'm not your entertainment, get a life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Belle View Post
I don't like them because they give me a headache. But I can't play video games like Halo (where you're walking around) without getting a headache and getting really sick to my stomach, either.

I think they're kind of cool, in short doses (a la It's Tough to Be a Bug, etc).
I know what you mean-- I tried to play Black Ops with DH, and omg... I just can't do it. Made my stomach turn!
DD3 is a BIG SISTER! ...and now has a brand new little BROTHER!
Mrs. Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
mistyt
Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
But greater immersiveness is unquestionably more intense. You know how they say, "May be too intense for certain viewers..." Well, intensity, especially with regard to action, is not a straight-line equation, between age and how intense you like your video entertainment to be. It's a person-by-person thing. Kind-of like roller coasters. For some folks, no matter how old they get, that kind of intense ride is not going to be pleasing, while for even some young children its the best thing since sliced bread.

I agree with that. I'm 24 and don't like 3D or thrill rides.

Ugh...maybe I am just boring like everyone keeps telling me

mistyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #19
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyt View Post
I agree with that. I'm 24 and don't like 3D or thrill rides.

Ugh...maybe I am just boring like everyone keeps telling me
That's me too!!

wish journalmy new blog
live well - laugh often - run disney
Belle Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #20
Wall-E1
Dis DAD
Beware the mac & cheeseHas YAGEing down to a fine art

I really enjoy seeing 3-D movies in the theaters. I recently saw Tron at Downtown Disney in that newly revamped theater (supposedly the only one like it in the country - new projection and sound system). It was amazing. I haven't seen any 3-D tv. I don't have one, and none of my friends have one either. I'm still waiting for odorama to make a comeback - like what they used for John Waters' Polyester. Then, we will truly have achieved the 21st century moviegoing experience.
1979 Polynesian - 1984 Polynesian - 1998 Dixie Landings - Dec 2003 Coronado Springs - Apr 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2004 All Star Sports - Oct 2004 Carribean Beach - Dec 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - Jan 2005 Wilderness Lodge - May 2005 Pop Century - Oct 2005 Pop Century - Dec 2005 Dolphin Resort - Jan 2006 Disneyland Resort California - August 2006 Yacht Club - Sep 2006 Coronado Springs - Dec 2006 Dolphin Resort - Sep 2007 All Star Movies - Nov 2007 ABD Costa Rica - Feb 2008 Pop Century - August 2008 All Star Music - Sep 2008 All Star Movies - Nov 2008 Pop Century - Dec 2008 Boardwalk Villas - May 2009 Beach Club Villas - September 2009 All Star Movies (my son's 20th trip to WDW!) - Nov 2009 All Star Movies - and for 2010!!! - Jan 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - May 2010 Port Orleans Riverside - September 2010 Pop Century - December 2010 Contemporary - November 2011 Beach Club Villas - March 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2012 Contemporary

Wall-E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #21
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I don't think it's worth the difference in price, nor does it affect the story. When I saw How to Train Your Dragon in 2D at a drive in, I wasn't even aware it was supposed to be 3D to begin with.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #22
roscoepc1
DIS Veteran

Hate it...gives me a splitting headache.

roscoepc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #23
WhatATreat
DIS Veteran

I might like 3d better if I could actually see the effects. I can see 3d shows like the ones at WDW but not the movies. Sometimes I can see more of the effects in IMAX but I know I am not getting the same experience others are and it kinda bums me out.
WhatATreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #24
mistyt
Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Ella View Post
That's me too!!
Thank goodness it isn't just me!

My neighbors always hire me to be the "official party photographer" because they know I don't drink so I won't drop the camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-E1 View Post
I really enjoy seeing 3-D movies in the theaters. I recently saw Tron at Downtown Disney in that newly revamped theater (supposedly the only one like it in the country - new projection and sound system). It was amazing. I haven't seen any 3-D tv. I don't have one, and none of my friends have one either. I'm still waiting for odorama to make a comeback - like what they used for John Waters' Polyester. Then, we will truly have achieved the 21st century moviegoing experience.
Ah, I love that theater!

mistyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #25
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

I think we can blame Avatar for this madness.

I see a few trends here...first Hollywood is trying to get people to keep going to the theaters I think, if they think they are going to start losing out to the home market instead. I watch very few movies in the theaters anymore, between the rude guests, 30 minutes of previews, trash, etc. it's just not as pleasant as it used to be.

Then the TV manufacturers want to sell lots more TV's because our 1080P LCD and LED TV's are soooo yesterday, so we have to buy the new stuff...except it's so crazy to pay $200 for a pair of 3D glasses, plus a 3D blu-ray player or whatever.

I see the appeal of 3D not nearly as wide as Hollywood and TV manufacturers think it is.

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #26
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

Once in a while, I think it really works with the particular movie.

Most of the time, I'd rather see the movie plain than pay extra.

I did see one in which the 3D threw off the color or something. - It just wasn't comfortable.

me, DH, DS(13), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #27
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Like other people have said, I don't really like it other than in small gimmicky doses at WDW, Universal, etc.

But then I also don't really like surround sound. When I watch a movie I don't "become" the character IN the movie like some people seem to (e.g. my husband). Nor do I want to. I want to watch a story as just what I am - a moviegoer. So why do I want to hear a dog bark or a helicopter coming from behind me? I want the sound to come from the direction of the screen, or maybe just to the left or right. But sometimes it's just plain startling to hear noises coming from behind me.

But I understand that some people like the immersion, so that's fine. I'm just one who doesn't watch movies to feel like I'm in them.

And the 3D just never seems that good to me. I'm constantly annoyed by the glasses over my own glasses. And 3-D movies seem dimmer.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #28
DisneyTravelers2008
Sally & Clay (Disney Travelers 2008)

THe 3D effects dont seem so great when you compare it to the extra price they charge at the theatres for 3D....it the effects were better, like at the Disney shows in 3D, Id be more on board with the extra charge at the movies

Spring Break 1988/ Spring Break 1993/Ft Wilderness Cabins 2008 /SSR, 1st DVC Member Trip/2009
OKW, Spring Break 2009/SSR June 2009/AKL January 2010/AKL & BLT Halloween 2010 /Spring Break 2011 - Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort/June 2011 - & BLT & BW /AKL, Spring Break 2012 / Disney Dream Jan. 2014
DisneyTravelers2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #29
EeyoreEma
DIS Veteran

I don't enjoy them at all. They give me headaches. Plus, when I'm taking my kids to the movies, they don't want to wear the glasses. I can handle it in short doses (think Philharmagic) but even that little bit gives me the start of a headache.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #30
HugsForEeyore
Heck with the rides, give me some rare characters!
Oh well, not much we can do - the onion already took over the world

Arrow Can't see it right

I don't like 3D at all. Alot of it looks fuzzy and it gives me double vision. I just don't see it right. I tried with and without my regular glasses, and I just don't see the effects well. The ones at Disney are very double-visioned to me; I only seen one 3D movie (Monsters vs Aliens) and I could see the effects a bit better, but not great. I can skip all 3D.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: