Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #31
caniac27
Mouseketeer

First one's off

Ok, the first Alaska cruise ABD'ers are off the ship! Reports please!

Oops, my mistake, I think they just boarded. Was the 7th the first group of ABD? It's late, brain not functioning...
AKV Christmas week 2012
Disney Magic Western 11/10/12
Disney Fantasy Inaugural 3/31/12
Disney Dream Bahamas 10/30/11
AKV 9/11
Disney Wonder Alaska 8/23/11
Disney Magic Northern Europe 7/6/10
Disney Magic Eastern 12/6/08
Disney Magic Western 4/21/07
Disneyland 5/06
Disney Magic Eastern 1/21/06
Disney World 2/11, 3/10, 12/07, 11/05, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999 and many more of forgotten dates!

Last edited by caniac27; 06-07-2011 at 09:44 PM.
caniac27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #32
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac27 View Post
Ok, the first Alaska cruise ABD'ers are off the ship! Reports please!

Oops, my mistake, I think they just boarded. Was the 7th the first group of ABD? It's late, brain not functioning...
Yes, June 7th is the first Alaska cruise to include the ABD add-on. They just left today. I'm really looking forward to hearing their reports!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #33
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Let's hope there are some ABD'ers onboard that are also on DIS to hear reports.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #34
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
Let's hope there are some ABD'ers onboard that are also on DIS to hear reports.
Exactly!!

Sayhello

Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #35
pjc4925
Earning My Ears

Just got off the boat and checked into a Vancouver airport for post cruise relaxation day. We did do the ABD add on and never having experienced that portion of Disney before, I can tell you it was excellent. Unfortunately I missed meeting up with other DIS'ers. The ABD add on was with one other family. They also had three other guides join us with our two official guides. The cruise was everything we expected. This was my third Disney cruise, but first time to Alaska. My wife and two daughters were with me. My youngest daughter was too young to do the ABD so we brought my sister, mother, and in laws with us to help keep an eye on here while we went off the boat. Since the group was so small they had no problem including the rest of our family in the onboard events (except Palo, which we skipped anyways as it fell on formal night). The two guides were Landon and Robyn. They were genuinely concerned about us and making sure we had a good time throughout. The helicopter and dog sled events was absolutely breath taking. I liked the lumberjack show as a fun way to spend the day with my 8 year old daughter. The rainforest sacuntuary was a special treat as we were able to get about 10-15 feet away from a bald eagle that had perched on a railing. Skagway was my least favorite part of the trip. I think there could have been a better gold panning destination as the one we went too did not appeare to be popular with visitors. However the tour of Jewel Gardens and the lunch afterwards was very relaxing. The train was nice as I have never done it before with this being my first trip to Alaska. I would have liked to have had more planned events while we were at sea. I will place a lot of that blame on myself though as we wanted early dining and the rest of the group had late dining and probably hung out more either at dinner or after. The four events that we attended on board; welcome resception, naturalist presentation, animators demonstration, and farewell reception were done vith a lot of class and fun. I will look for future ABD trips to take and would likely do an addon for a Mediteranean cruise. The Alaska add on was certeainly worth doing and I have no regrets, but if I were to take another Alaska cruise (which I'm not necessarily sold on doing again) I would likely pass on the ABD portion. Please do not misunderstand that statement as I think it was an excellent value and we had a fabulous time. Getting the pictures at the end from both Shutters and the guides will certainly be icing on the cake!! If there are any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.
pjc4925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #36
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for reporting in, pjc4925!! You're the first person we've heard back from who did the ABD add-on for Alaska. It's interesting that they didn't cancel it with so few people. That's a good sign! We had Robyn on the Med cruise ABD add-on last year, and I just loved her!

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. You definitely should check out ABD's other trips. I'm sure you'd find one (or two, or three!) that you'd like to do! Be careful! They are addictive!

Here's a link to ABD's website: http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/index?name=HomePage

Thanks again!
Sayhello

Old 06-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #37
kgsmith
DIS Veteran

Thank you for your report! We are anxiously awaiting our August cruise. While I don't want to know everything (I'd still like to be surprised about a few things!), I have a few questions for you.

Did your 8 year old enjoy the ABD activities? My 9 year old is very excited about the helicopter ride and dog sledding. (My husband isn't quite as excited about the helicopter part )

Was there any time for shopping in the three ports?

Here's a logistical question -- About what time are the onboard activities like the animation lesson and farewell reception held? I've made some spa reservations and I'm wondering whether I should move them around a bit.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip!

kgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #38
pjc4925
Earning My Ears

My 8 yeard old had a great time. The guides were very kid friendly (as is everything on Disney). She is very outgoing and meshed well with the guides. There were two other kids in our group (age 12 and 16) and they had a really good time as well. I do not think you will be disappointed.

There was time to shop in Skagway for about an hour. You could go into Juneau at 7 if you wanted to and the bus picked them up in town at 9. However there were only a few shops open at 7 and they mostly opened up at 9. There was no time for shopping in Ketchikan except for a few gift shops at the events we visited.

The receptions were held right around 4-6 in the evening. The animators and naturalist presentation were around noon. Embarkation day was the welcome reception. You should be able to make any spa appointments before noon and should be fine to make all the events. You could get away with booking a spa on Ketchikan day because you don't port until around 1:00 that afternoon.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #39
kgsmith
DIS Veteran

Thank you for answering my questions!

kgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #40
Stitch#1
Been there, done that, can't wait to go back!!
Class A scout

Thanks for the info. We did the ABD add on for the July 12th cruise and we can't wait!

Stitch#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #41
disneymath
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc4925 View Post
We did do the ABD add on and never having experienced that portion of Disney before, I can tell you it was excellent.
Thanks for the report ... any last niggling doubts I had have pretty much been put to rest! Can't wait for our trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsmith View Post
Thank you for your report! We are anxiously awaiting our August cruise. While I don't want to know everything (I'd still like to be surprised about a few things!), I have a few questions for you.
Great questions! (And thanks pjc4925 for the responses!)

My dad is also not keen on the helicopter ride ... hopefully he'll hit if off with your DH and they can be brave together!

pjc4925 ... can you tell me a bit more about the dogsledding part? Did you drive the sled or did you ride? Did the dogs jump all over you or are they more laid back? (I'm a bit scared of dogs ... but totally looking forward to the trying dogsledding, and my mom is a bit wary of having to drive/steer the sled.)

disneymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:07 AM   #42
pjc4925
Earning My Ears

The dogsledding was AWESOME!!!! There are two sleds with about 10-12 dogs. The experienced dog sledder rides in the front sled. There is room for two more people in that sled. An adventurer rides in the second sled. All you have to do is stand there and hold on (one thing my daughter failed to do when the dogs took off). There is a brake hanging down on the back of the sled. When the team stops you assist the braking of the sled by putting on your brake. Considering the experienced musher does this for a living, I don't think the second brake is definately needed, but you do get the feel of driving the team of dogs. Everyone in our group got a chance to be on the second sled by themselves including my 8 year old daughter. He told us the commands, but we did not yell any out to the dogs. They reach speeds of about 10-15 maybe 20 mph. It's a nice leisurely pace. They travel around their home base roughly 2-3 miles. The dogs are always tied up. They are very friendly and after the ride we were able to go up and meet each of our teams dogs.

Everyone certainly needs to brave the helicopter ride. It is over fairly quickly, but long enough that you get to see some beautiful sights of the area.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #43
disneymath
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc4925 View Post
The dogsledding was AWESOME!!!! There are two sleds with about 10-12 dogs. The experienced dog sledder rides in the front sled. There is room for two more people in that sled. An adventurer rides in the second sled. All you have to do is stand there and hold on (one thing my daughter failed to do when the dogs took off). There is a brake hanging down on the back of the sled. When the team stops you assist the braking of the sled by putting on your brake. Considering the experienced musher does this for a living, I don't think the second brake is definately needed, but you do get the feel of driving the team of dogs. Everyone in our group got a chance to be on the second sled by themselves including my 8 year old daughter. He told us the commands, but we did not yell any out to the dogs. They reach speeds of about 10-15 maybe 20 mph. It's a nice leisurely pace. They travel around their home base roughly 2-3 miles. The dogs are always tied up. They are very friendly and after the ride we were able to go up and meet each of our teams dogs.

Everyone certainly needs to brave the helicopter ride. It is over fairly quickly, but long enough that you get to see some beautiful sights of the area.
Thanks for this info! It sounds like you had some truly amazing experiences.

disneymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #44
CBEB
We're ready to do it again!
So far, we've managed to sprinkle lots of pixie dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4lcrv View Post
Anyone else considering adding ABD for this trip?
We booked it for our 7/19 Alaska cruise and can't wait!
, Hilton Head 2000, WDW 2002 Wilderness Lodge, DCL 2003 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2004 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2005 7-Day Western, DCL 2006 7-Day Western, WDW 2007 Caribbean Beach, DCL 2008 15-Day WB Repo, DCL 2009 7-Day Tortola, DCL 2011 5-Day DREAM, DCL/ABD 2011 7-Day Alaska, ABD/HKDL 2012 12-Day China, Aulani 2014
CBEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #45
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Thanks so much for the review. Really looking forward to the add-on portion of our cruise.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: