Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Melanie1216
Earning My Ears

Would/Did you bring your DSLR camera?

I am torn on whether or not I should bring my DSLR or just a point and shoot. I feel like the DSLR camera is so big but I also am so used to it, it bugs me how long it takes to snap a picture with a point and shoot. did you bring yours to disney and carry it around? Thanks!
Melanie1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Limmer
DIS Veteran

Yes, I bring my DSLR in a holster style bag with my 18-200 lens on it. Not that big and I get the shots I want. We also have a little waterproof compact that we bring too for the water parks etc but I prefer my DSLR.

You can get smaller ones if you don't have a telephoto lens.
Sept 2009 POR
Sept 2002 POR
Oct 2001 POR

Limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
scrapbookmommy
Mouseketeer

I brought mine because I'm such a photo addict I knew I wouldn't be happy with the pics I would get with my point and shoot. I'm so used to always having it with me I really didn't even pay much attention to it. We are going back in May and I will be bringing it again.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Truffle
I'm sweet, or a rare fungi. You decide!

I wouldn't think of going to WDW without it. So much there happens so fast (childrens expressions when they see something, characters in action, etc.) that you simply cannot get with a point and shoot. I have purchased about 1 point and shoot almost every year because of small increases in capability, and finally decided to bit the bullet and get something that I KNOW will work for everything. It also takes HD video which means 1 less camera to bring! My next purchase for it will be a "faster" lens for better low light pictures.
MK Dec '73 * CBR Jan '90 * POFQ May '94, Jan '06, Jan '09, Feb '10 * AKL May '10, Sept '10 * Pop Century Sept '10, Nov '10 * BWV Jan '11 * Ireland Mar '11 (How did THAT get in there?!?!) * AK Kidani Sept '11 * SSMC Sept '11 *BLT Sept '11 * AK Kidani Jan '12 * AK Kidani Nov '12 * Pop Century Feb '13 * DISpeeps Mini Member Cruise Feb '13! * AK Jambo CL Feb '13! (Whoo-hoo! Thanks Junior!) *
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

I brought mine and will again. I wouldnt' have captured as many precious moments if I had a regular, takes forever to snap a picture, point and shoot.I have a lowepro bag to bring it in. I have the small version and it fits my extra lens and the video camera also.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
travelbel
Mouseketeer

Good question and I struggle with the answer! We're going in Feb. and I'm thinking that I won't, but then maybe I will, then maybe I won't. I don't want a ton of stuff to lug, since our kids are 4 and 7 and it's already crazy. But, I don't want to get there and be like "should have brought it"!
travelbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
ratlenhum
DIS Veteran

I'd be lost without mine. I use this kind of strap and I don't even know my camera is there. http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/

I always carry a small and lightweight back pack and when we go on rides where I need to tuck it away, or where it might get wet, I put it in the back pack. I keep a XL ziplock in my pack pack with all my stuff so nothing gets wet.

I take awesome shots with my P&S but I love my 18-200mm zoom and would be sick thinking about the shots I could be getting if I didn't have my DSLR with me.
ratlenhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
5 for WDW
DIS Veteran

We always bring our DSLR and would never go without it!

22 trips since 1996 (Dixie Landings, POFQ,POR, CBR, AS Movies, POP, SSR, BWV, OKW, A of A)

Next up: Dec. 13-17th! Happy 40th to Me!!
5 for WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
sapereaude
Mouseketeer

Gosh, I wouldn't want to miss out on the great pictures I could have! Last time we went, I brought my baggallini city bag (http://www.amazon.com/Baggallini-Wom...sr=8-2-catcorr) for tickets and whatnot, there isn't enough room in there for an SLR, I didn't want to leave it in the stroller of course, so I ended up constantly putting it in and out of our snack backpack and feeling like we had to bring the pack on every ride with us.

I didn't want to get a holster camera bag because I wanted to bring my videocamera and zoom lens as well, and other camera bags that fit more aren't designed for the kind of other non-camera stuff I wanted to bring, like the kids autograph books.

I ended up getting a zing camera cover: http://www.amazon.com/Zing-501-101-S...5223556&sr=8-1 and a Baggallini Messenger Bag: http://www.amazon.com/Baggallini-Mes...sr=8-1-catcorr, which despite its name is really a small one strap backpack.

I've been very happy with this arrangement. The Zing cover protects my camera within the backpack, or if I just want to sling it over my shoulder, however it doesn't add much bulk, its just a neoprene cover. It attaches to my camera strap so when I take it off it just hangs, I don't need to mess with storing it somewhere. I either put the camera in the backpack (in its cover) or hang it around my neck depending on how accessible I want it to be. We then just left the snack backpack in the stroller at all times and I carried just this small pack on rides with me.

The arrangement did start to get heavy after a week of carrying it everywhere, so I didn't bring the videocamera or zoom lens the last few days and that was much easier.

I love the baggallini's, they are so well made, my city bag is 2 years old and I use it everyday at home and it still looks brand new. I used the pocket on the strap of the messenger bag to hold the essentials - park tickets, fastpasses, photopass and disney rewards card for easy access. Works well and is small enough to be easy to bring on rides, etc.
sapereaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
klm7926
Mouseketeer

I have the same question!!!! I'm an amateur photog but am wondering if I should bring mine too! I just feel like I'm going to be so busy running around with our boys and they will more than likely get annoyed at me stopping to take pics. But I hate the thought of not brining it. I'm so torn!
april 2013: all star sports
klm7926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
dmxwidget
Disney Expert

I love bringing my DSLR to the parks. I sometimes carry an external flash or additional lenses, but it depends on where I am going.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

This is going to be our first trip with my new camera, so excited
DD (2014)
tink_n_pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
JustCallMeMommy
DIS Veteran

I will be the dissenting opinion. We carry as little as possible into the parks. I bought a new point & shoot for our last trip, and I loved being able to just pull it out of my pocket. It has become my permanent "purse camera," too, so that I can always snap a picture, even when I didn't plan ahead to bring my SLR.

JustCallMeMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
klm7926
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeMommy View Post
I will be the dissenting opinion. We carry as little as possible into the parks. I bought a new point & shoot for our last trip, and I loved being able to just pull it out of my pocket. It has become my permanent "purse camera," too, so that I can always snap a picture, even when I didn't plan ahead to bring my SLR.
May I ask what you got and what you think of the picture quality????
april 2013: all star sports
klm7926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #15
SarahJN
Mouseketeer

I'm a hobbyist photographer and only own a DSLR. It goes everywhere with me. I have a camera bag that is quite big and also doubles as a purse. I brought the camera, 2 lenses and external flash with me to the parks. It can be heavy but with the triplets, we had 2 strollers so I was able to stash everything in a stroller basket.

Read my trip reports!

SarahJN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: