Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
wenmc
Earning My Ears

Friendship Advice?

I'm actually a pretty quiet and private person. However, if I'm close with or feel comfortable with someone I can talk a lot sometimes and like to share stories/what I've been up to. Sometimes these friends will message me with just a simple hello so I feel like they want to talk. I find myself going on and on and all I will get is a very simple response. This happens A LOT! I feel like an *** afterwards. What should I do? Just ignore them next time they message a "hello". I feel like that's being a lousy friend by just ignoring. Advice please?
wenmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
*pixie*dust*
DIS Veteran

What if you just reply with "Hello, how's it going?" and see how they respond. If they keep the conversation up, then go ahead and dive in. If not then you know they were just checking in to let you know they were thinking of you
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't ignore them. Some people are just chattier than others. If they are messaging you from a phone, it can be a pain to type out a longer answer. You could keep your replies more brief and ask them more detailed questions about what they are up to and see how that goes.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
wenmc
Earning My Ears

Btw, I do ask my friends how they are doing but that too, just a simple answer. Maybe I just have some un-chatty friends that want to say hi and that's about it.......
wenmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by *pixie*dust* View Post
What if you just reply with "Hello, how's it going?" and see how they respond. If they keep the conversation up, then go ahead and dive in. If not then you know they were just checking in to let you know they were thinking of you

OP, there is a LOT you can do between a LONG pour your heart out message and ignoring all together. Try keeping it short and simple, for the most part, in texts and save the longer things for when you are together over coffee or something.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Don't ignore them. As a PP mentioned respond with "Hello, how are you?" and gauge the direction of the conversation from their response back.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
LeeLee'sMom
DIS Veteran

I agree..don't ignore them. I always reply with a "what's going on?"
Old 07-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
usd2bmd
DIS Veteran

I would always think that if someone was texting me there is a reason. They either want to tell me something or want to ask me something.
Making small talk when you are face to to face with someone is one thing. But I don't really understand the point of starting a text conversation with no purpose.

I would respond something like, "hi, how are you? What can I do for you?"
June 2002 - Off-site June 2005 - All-Star Movies Resort** August 2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort**September 2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort**August 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside**August 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2010 - Caribbean Cruise/Carnival Liberty**August 2011 - Caribbean Cruise Carnival Liberty**August 2013 - Eastern Caribbean Cruise Carnival Dream
usd2bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
Caropooh
POO, are you? POO POO, POO POO!
I LOVE wiggling my kids teeth!
Drives a braille van

Quote:
Originally Posted by usd2bmd View Post
I would always think that if someone was texting me there is a reason. They either want to tell me something or want to ask me something.
Making small talk when you are face to to face with someone is one thing. But I don't really understand the point of starting a text conversation with no purpose.

I would respond something like, "hi, how are you? What can I do for you?"
To me, that spounds very formal for a friend... I'd probably go with, 'Hi! What's up?' or something more casual like that.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #10