Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Chilly's Golden Triangle Roadtrip (with not a lot of road) Pre Trip Report

WHEN AND WHERE

California, Disneyland & Vegas 26th March to 9th April

CAST

ME - LOVES Disney, planning, shopping and cocktails
DH - LOVES me

Special Guest Star - Dizzy Bear

BACKGROUND

DH and I went to California and Vegas back in 2005 the year before we went to WDW together for the first time. We spent 6 nights in LA/Disneyland, 3 nights in Vegas, and 5 nights in San Francisco. The plan had been to drive between them all but we found it would actually be cheaper and quicker to fly between them plus at that time DH was under 25 and had never driven abroad before. We had a great holiday and said we would def go back again but that next time we would make it a roadtrip.

Fastforward to last year when our friends announced they would be getting married in Las Vegas on Tuesday 29th March and the date for our return was decided. If we had been going back just the 2 of us I think we'd have given Vegas a miss 2nd time around but I am looking forward to going with a bunch of our friends. We decided the best thing would be to fly to Vegas on the Saturday before the wedding and to spend 4 nights there, leaving the day after the wedding. I think most of the wedding guests our on the same Virgin flight as us including our friends although not the bride and groom who fly in the day before.

One of the places we had wanted to visit last time was Yosemite National Park but we couldn't fit it in so we decided to head there from Vegas spending a night on the road and then 2 nights in the park. We would then head to San Fran for 3 nights, and then drive down the coast road (something we really wanted to do), spending one night on route, ending in Disneyland (gotta get my fix) for 3 nights before flying home from LAX, making it a 2 week trip. We had wanted to make it longer fitting in San Diego and Lake Powell but given the money situation decided we couldn't.

As we had a WDW holiday before this holiday we didn't do much planning or booking of hotels until I suddenly realised this holiday wasn't that far off. I went to book the Yosemite hotel to find it was fully booked, eek. So we talked it over and decided we should skip Yosemite, it isn't really the best time to go and the trip consisted of tons of driving for DH and this would cut quite a lot of that out and not make everything else so rushed. We would just have to go back again to do that and make that the focus. We now had 3 extra nights to play with so decided to add one to San Fran, one to the coast road and one to Disneyland. We also decided it made more sense to fly from Vegas to San Fran as it was cheaper and quicker.

This meant our Road Trip only now consisted of 3 days on the road - whoops!

More details coming soon...

Last edited by Chilly; 04-26-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

Sounds great Claire. Looking forward to more!
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, May 2014- Disneyland, Paradise Pier

Lauren
disney_princess_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

Even though you won't be on the road much, you will be on some of the most dramatic parts

You must do 17 Mile Drive near Carmel

Claire
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
BethEJo
I left the house at 5.45am - that's unheard of for a student
WDW CM 19/06/11 - 02/09/11

Awesome sauce!!
Can't wait to hear more about this
BethEJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:21 AM   #5
strawberry blonde
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great trip. Bet you can't wait
strawberry blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:21 AM   #6
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire L View Post
Even though you won't be on the road much, you will be on some of the most dramatic parts

You must do 17 Mile Drive near Carmel

Claire
I've been to 17 Mile but will def do it again, if I could live anywhere in the world it would be there.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

The Plan So Far

I've taken the Friday before we fly off work but because of DH's work situation we don't know yet what time we can leave but we'll be getting the train to Gatwick and staying the night at the Hilton which I booked when it was on offer, its our Christmas present to each other. Our friends our coming from Essex but I think they'll just arrive on Saturday morning.

We are on the 11:20am Virgin flight to Las Vegas landing at 3:05pm. As there was 7 of us I thought it would be fun and cost effective to get a limo from the airport to our hotel but the others didn't seem keen.

Our home for the next 4 nights is the Planet Hollywood Hotel which is opposite the Bellagio where the wedding is. I was tempted to book a Fountain View room as I love them but decided we'd hardly be in the room so its not worth it.

I picked this hotel mainly because of its location but I also got a deal on the price and was excited to see it has an EoS in the hotel.

So far we don't really have any plans, the first night we will probably just have a quiet one. On the 2nd night we'll all be going out on the town. Night 3 we plan to see Cirque du Soliel at the Bellagio, need to sort tickets for this. Then night 4 is the wedding. So far we have no plans in the day. We've already been to the Grand Canyon so won't be doing that. I hope to just use this time to relax.

The day after the wedding we are catching a Southwestern flight at 1:05pm to San Francisco. So far we have no hotel booked and i'm researching that at the moment. After our 4 nights in SF we'll hire a car to drive down the coast, we are going to treat ourselves to a convertible.

We'll stop for 2 nights on route, again these aren't booked yet and i'm looking at options at the moment. Then we'll arrive in Disneyland for 4 nights where we'll probably stay at the HOJO.

I've not booked this yet but I have gotten an Entertainment Card off eBay so I can get a discount, I don't want to book this until we confirm the other parts of our trip. I wanted to stay at the GC but I couldn't justify spending that much at the moment even if we'd rented DVC points. We then fly home from LAX at 8:55pm on the Saturday, landing on the Sunday at 3:35pm at Heathrow where we'll catch the coach home.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
Latte Lover
in charge of the credit cards and plotting quickest routes to the shopping malls

It sounds fabulous Claire. We are thinking of doing something similar next year if finances allow. Tony desperately want to see Las Vegas and I want to see LA and San Francisco.

1975 Royal Plaza 1997 Master's Inn Kissimee 1999 Clarion Universal 2001 Howard Johnson Maingate East 2003 Econolodge 2005 Howard Johnson Maingate West 2006 Our Timeshare at Sheraton Vistana Resort 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 Sheraton Vistana(May), Terrace Ridge (Aug)Nov 2009 Barefoot'n' in the keys, Kissimmee2010 Cumbrian LakesOct 2011 Sheraton & Disney MagicNov 2012 Florida Keys, The Sheraton, and OKW
Latte Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Your roadtrip sounds amazing Claire. I can't wait to hear about your adventures and see some pics, have a fab time

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Unhappy Fantasmic

Just realised Fantasmic is not scheduled while we are in Disneyland
Old 01-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

San Francisco

I've been researching the holiday each day in my lunch break and have pretty much decided on the Hotel Carlton for our stay in San Francisco. Its near Union Square, gets good reviews and is currently on sale.

No plans as yet to what we'll do while we are there. Last time we did all the major tourist things so any suggestions welcome.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Coast Road/Disneyland

I must be crazy but i've decided to give up a day at Disney to spend an extra night on the coast road. So for our first night we'll stay in Monterey, our second night will be in Cambria, and our third night will be in Santa Barbara. I've had lots of hotel suggestions for down the coast but if anyone has anymore let me have them.

Lots of plans for this part of the trip, Cannery Row, 17 Mile Drive, Carmel, Big Sur, Bixby Bridge, Hearst Castle, Mcway Falls, to name some, if anyone knows any other good places let me know.

The HOJO has just realsed some more discounted dates, one of which falls when we are there so I'll probably book that at the weekend.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
meryll83
All it takes is faith and trust... Proud Strawberry Blonde Official DISbride!

Just found time to properly catch up - we're planning on staying at the Planet Hollywood in Vegas too in 2012 - I've got the Fountain View on the budget spreadsheet at the moment!
Not made decisions on any other hotels yet though.

I'd be interested to hear who you book all your different elements through, flights, hotels etc. If we stay on target with our savings it'll be June before we can book flights anyway, and we're already getting distracted by discussing Christmas in New York and if there's any decent offers for WDW Free Dining - we need to stay focused!!

Looking forward to hearing more!

WDW 91, 93, 03 off-site, 05 ASMo (32,000 WWTBAM) , 07 Pop & BWV (Free Dining & Engaged at Cinderella's Castle!), *09 Wedding Planning Journal* and *Trip Report* Pop, BWV, Poly & Wonder,
10 Pop, 12 Aulani Day Visit, 13 HRH, YC
(Free Dining) & Dream

DLP 05 Cheyenne, 13 Newport Bay

meryll83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #14
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

your plans sound great, looking forward to reading all about it
Old 01-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by meryll83 View Post
Just found time to properly catch up - we're planning on staying at the Planet Hollywood in Vegas too in 2012 - I've got the Fountain View on the budget spreadsheet at the moment!
Not made decisions on any other hotels yet though.

I'd be interested to hear who you book all your different elements through, flights, hotels etc. If we stay on target with our savings it'll be June before we can book flights anyway, and we're already getting distracted by discussing Christmas in New York and if there's any decent offers for WDW Free Dining - we need to stay focused!!

Looking forward to hearing more!
Well staying focused i've not had to worry about as i'm going for a wedding.

I booked PH direct with them when they had an offer on via FB.

Flights direct with Virgin. BA were more expensive.

Hotel Carlton is through Expedia.

HOJO is direct with them so I can use my entertainment card to get a discount.

Coast hotels - i'll let you know.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: