Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Question San Fran Hotel - Cheapish

Any suggestions for a cheapish hotel in San Fran perhaps in the Union Square area? Just need somewhere clean and quiet.

Thanks in advance
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Be careful. If you specify "cheap" and "Union Square area", you may well end up in the Tenderloin area, just southwest of Union Square. It's seedy - you definitely don't want to end up there. Reputable hotels in the Union Square area tend to be somewhat pricey.

In your other message, you indicate that you'll have a car. In that case, I'd look at Lombard Street in the Cow Hollow area. They tend to be motor hotels or motels, rather than hotels. They're usually a bit less expensive. But you'll need to either drive in to downtown, or take public transportation.

-Bob
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
Be careful. If you specify "cheap" and "Union Square area", you may well end up in the Tenderloin area, just southwest of Union Square. It's seedy - you definitely don't want to end up there. Reputable hotels in the Union Square area tend to be somewhat pricey.

In your other message, you indicate that you'll have a car. In that case, I'd look at Lombard Street in the Cow Hollow area. They tend to be motor hotels or motels, rather than hotels. They're usually a bit less expensive. But you'll need to either drive in to downtown, or take public transportation.

-Bob
Thanks again Bob, we prob won't have a car in SF, just hire it to drive down the coast.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Disneyof3
Mother of my 3 angels, heaven blessed me!!!!!
So it was me who had to take the plunge

Don't know what it is like, but were booked at the Columbus Hotel on Columbus Avenue. Near Pier 33 and all that stuff. According to Travel Advisor the reviews are very good and they don't charge for parking like all the other hotels do. I can let you know in March what it was like?
WDW12/13
Disneyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyof3 View Post

Don't know what it is like, but were booked at the Columbus Hotel on Columbus Avenue. Near Pier 33 and all that stuff. According to Travel Advisor the reviews are very good and they don't charge for parking like all the other hotels do. I can let you know in March what it was like?
Google shows that there is both a Columbus Hotel and a Columbus Motor Inn. Columbus Motor Inn is the one close to Fisherman's Wharf, and yes, it gets very good reviews on Trip Advisor. Both appear to be in very nice locations.

In the Fisherman's Wharf area, there's also a Holiday Inn, Sheraton, Marriott, and Best Western.

Downtown & Union Square area, there are mostly full hotels, plus lots of "boutique" hotels, which tend to be cheaper (but not cheap, by far). My wife's cousin stayed at the Hilton Union Square, and was pleased with it. Sometimes you can find a special on that; other times it's very expensive.

You can always try Priceline, too.

-Bob
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Travelodge Golden Gate on Lombard. Not in Union Sq, but cheap, clean, nicely staffed, on major bus lines, in the Cow Hollow neighborhood full of trendy and delish restaurants, cafe's and shops. I was just there this past weekend for 3 nights. We have stayed at the Travelodge GG now 4 times in the past year. We won't stay anywhere else in the city.

The Columbus Motor Inn does get similar reviews, is a bit closer to the "tourist" stuff ie the wharf, China Town, N. Beach and Union Sq. but is also a bit more spendy and noisier.

With tax, I paid $89.20 per night for a room with 2 queens and FREE parking is included. Can't beat it, we love the Travelodge. This was for a Fri, Sat and Sunday night stay.

PS Travelodge GG also gets good reviews from Tripadvisor

In Union Sq. I have stayed at the Handlery, but expect to pay $25-30 a day for parking and then if you use the car to get around you will pay parking anywhere else you go in the city with few exceptions.

The city is very walkable and cabs and buses are plentiful. From the Travelodge GG there are seveal of the major bus lines 30 (1 Blk N. on Chestnut), 45 (3 blks S. on Union) and 43 (on Lombard proper) between them they go to the Ghirardelli area, N. Beach, ChinaTown, Market St near Union Sq., Golden Gate Park, the base of Golden Gate Bridge and to AT&T park just to name a few places, all as a direct line.

We love Muni and use it often.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom

Last edited by mamacatnv; 01-11-2011 at 10:43 PM.
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
mellers
DIS Veteran

For veterans and servicemen--a hotel in the Union Square area

If you, your parents, or your spouse are a veteran, depending upon how long you plan to stay, it might be worth it to get a membership to the Marine Memorial Center. It is very close to Union Square, and a nice hotel for the area:

http://www.marineclub.com/
mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
jen42002
DIS Veteran

My cousin used to live in downtown SF in the marina district. She always recommended Motel Capri. The rooms are basic but clean and the hotel is nicely located. Their website is http://www.sfmotelcapri.com/

Me:::, DH, DD11, DD11 , DS11::, DS11:

jen42002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #9
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Any suggestions for a cheapish hotel in San Fran perhaps in the Union Square area? Just need somewhere clean and quiet.

Thanks in advance
Since you won't have a car. I suggest stay north of Market Street and within two blocks of Powell. This is the union square area, but keeps you off the dirtier streets and within the tourist areas.

In the same respect look toward the area near and between the north end of the cable car tracks. It makes a Y. There hotels are cheaper.

The fun and easy tranportation of the cable cars are not to be missed so staying up by the warf won't hurt.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:40 AM   #10
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
Danibelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks in advance
I looked on Expedia for some potential locations in Union Square and found rates from 165-292. This is a very expensive area. You might find something on Lombard St. (such as Cow Hollow) for around 100? I believe Fisherman's Wharf will also be very expensive. This city is never "cheap" and if you park downtown, you will also have to pay for parking.

Danibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyof3 View Post

Thanks for the offer but i'm there is March as well.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
Google shows that there is both a Columbus Hotel and a Columbus Motor Inn. Columbus Motor Inn is the one close to Fisherman's Wharf, and yes, it gets very good reviews on Trip Advisor. Both appear to be in very nice locations.

In the Fisherman's Wharf area, there's also a Holiday Inn, Sheraton, Marriott, and Best Western.

Downtown & Union Square area, there are mostly full hotels, plus lots of "boutique" hotels, which tend to be cheaper (but not cheap, by far). My wife's cousin stayed at the Hilton Union Square, and was pleased with it. Sometimes you can find a special on that; other times it's very expensive.

You can always try Priceline, too.

-Bob
We stayed at the Columbus Motor Inn a few years ago, would stay there again particularly if I needed to park a car.

More recently we stayed in a boutique place (Hotel Adaigo?) near Union Square and not the least bit sketchy, that I found through http://www.hotelres.com/ - got there through TravelZoo. It's a Joie de Vivre hotel (http://www.jdvhotels.com/) and they have a special on as I type, $119 a night.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Tripss View Post
We stayed at the Columbus Motor Inn a few years ago, would stay there again particularly if I needed to park a car.

More recently we stayed in a boutique place (Hotel Adaigo?) near Union Square and not the least bit sketchy, that I found through http://www.hotelres.com/ - got there through TravelZoo. It's a Joie de Vivre hotel (http://www.jdvhotels.com/) and they have a special on as I type, $119 a night.
I'm looking at the Hotel Carlton another Joie de Vivre hotel as we speak.

However on its own website it says its fully booked, but on Expedia I could book it, should that worry me?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #15
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
I'm looking at the Hotel Carlton another Joie de Vivre hotel as we speak.

However on its own website it says its fully booked, but on Expedia I could book it, should that worry me?
No, expedia will get blocks of rooms from a hotel to sell. They may of got all that were left on one of your nights. This is quite common and shouldn't worry you.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: