Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Dugette
DIS Veteran

How the Other Half Lives ~ Updated 10/22: I Forgot Something!

Here’s a trailer of what you can expect in the exciting upcoming Trip Report! (Note to my PTR friends—this is a different trailer than before—we were having too much fun making them!) Click the image for the video:

The title stems from some FREE “lounge” experiences that we normally would never be able to justify forking over the $$$ for. If you don’t already know, we are pretty budget-conscious and love Pop Century. And, although we originally had Pop booked our first night, unexpected changes really turned this trip around. We got to experience some of how “the other half” lives.

Some teasers:

Will our ridiculously delayed flight make it out of MSP before the Metrodome-destroying blizzard hits?

What does MCO look like at 4:15am? Does anyone work at Magical Express?

What can noisy neighbors in connecting rooms do for you?

Why do we love Lawrence?

What causes me to whip around while entering the Magic Kingdom and spit out a stunned, “Oh... my gosh!!!”?

Why do I have two adorable little boys hanging off of me (literally) for several days of our trip?

Why do we keep cancelling our ADRs?

How do we end up backstage?

Will we survive 28 degrees and windy conditions?

All that and more coming up!

If you want a sneak peak, you can find our pre-trip report here: "Holidays & Hammocks PTR"

Chapters
Introductions & Details

Day 0 - A Most Unusual Travel Day
Day 0 - Lounging Around

Day 1 - Almost Paradise
Day 1 - A Rude Awakening
Day 1 - Fast Passes & Fast Food
Day 1 - 1,050 Pounds of Honey
Day 1 - Lounging Around Again - Part 1
Day 1 - Lounging Around Again - Part 2
Day 1 - Our First Character Meal Ever!
Day 1 - Candlelight, Gingerbread, & Caramel
Day 1 - Lighting up the Night

Day 2 - Trailer for Day 2
Day 2 - Everybody Loves Lawrence
Day 2 - Christmas Shopping
Day 2 - Very Merry - Part 1
Day 2 - Very Merry - Part 2
Day 2 - Very Merry - Part 3
Day 2 - Very Merry - Part 4A
Day 2 - Very Merry - Part 4B
Day 2 - Very Merry - Part 5
Day 2 - Very Merry - Part 6
Day 2 - Very Merry - Part 7

Day 3 - Trailer for Day 3
Day 3 - The Secret to Unlimited Fast Passes
Day 3 - Our Own Private Dinoland
Day 3 - Exploring Animal Kingdom
Day 3 - Brunch at Boma
Day 3 - The Fast Pass Redemption Spree
Day 3 - Yak & Yeti & a Jinglin’ Jungle
Day 3 - It's a Small World After All

Day 4 - Trailer for Day 4
Day 2 Bonus - Pretty Pictures
Day 4 - Walkin' Right Down the Middle of Main Street
Day 4 - Mmmmmm, Bacon!
Day 4 - Meet Me in the Hub
Day 4 - Wandering the World
Day 4 - Never Shoulda Left the Poly

Day 5 - Trailer & Another Trip for Us!
Day 5 - Prelude to a Safari
Day 5 - Backstage Safari - Part 1
Day 5 - Backstage Safari - Part 2
Day 5 - Backstage Safari - Part 3
Day 5 - Walking the Trails
Day 5 - Lunch at Sanaa
Day 5 - Bonus Video Clip
Day 5 - Lego My Star Wars Figure!
Day 5 - Treats & AK in the Dark
Day 5 - Mmmmmm, Jiko!

Day 6 - Trailer for Day 6 & Puppy Camp Updates
Day 6 - Stampede Time!
Day 6 - Plans Go Bye-Bye!
Day 6 - Honey, I Shrunk My Energy Reserves
Day 6 - "And I didn't like it!"
Day 6 - Pretty Lights - Part 1
Day 6 - Pretty Lights - Part 2
Day 6 - Pretty Lights - Part 3
Day 6 - Dining in a Pyramid

Day 7 - Trailer for Day 7
Day 7 - Let Me Tell You a Story
Day 7 - More Stories & Photos
Day 7 - Shiny Candy!
Day 7 - Food & Fire
Day 7 - Return to the Osborne Lights
Day 7 - Sweet Fireworks!

Day 8 - Trailer for Day 8
Day 8 - A Private Course - Part 1
Day 8 - A Private Course - Part 2
Day 8 - A Private Course - Part 3
Day 8 - A Private Course - Part 4
Day 8 - Trains & Ice Cream
Day 8 - Chocolate Carousel
Day 8 - "Swalphing!"
Day 8 - On the Boardwalk
Day 8 - Lounging Around Once More
Day 8 - One Last Late Night

Day 9 - Trailer & See Ya Real Soon!

Final Thoughts on the Year of Disney

New Trip Report Has Started!

I Forgot Something!

Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Last edited by Dugette; 10-22-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Introductions and Details

Welcome to the final trip in our Year of Disney! We had Annual Passes for the last year and utilized them to the fullest (for people who live in Minnesota). This was our 5th trip of 2010. The main goal of this trip was to experience all of the holiday magic at Walt Disney World.

If you followed our pre-trip report, you know that this trip underwent many last minute changes, including dates and resorts. Some of these changes happened during the trip, so you’ll be hearing more about those soon.

Here’s how things ended up:

Dates: Friday, December 10th-Sunday, December 19th, 2010

Resort: The Polynesian

Special Events: Candlelight Processional, Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, Osborne Lights, Holiday Storytellers, Ft. Wilderness Sleigh Ride, and much more. Including a backstage adventure that I’ll keep quiet on until I get to it!

The Cast:

Me ("Dugette") and my husband ("Dug"). Our dog Bailey went to Wilderness Adventure Puppy Camp (otherwise known as my dad and step-mom’s house), which I’ll post about later. Our cat Kitty guarded the house and had a friend stop in to feed and play with her:

Although there were some major ups and downs prior to this trip, we were fortunate enough to experience a lot of pixie-dusted moments that made this vacation a fitting finale to our Year of Disney.

I hope you enjoy reliving the magic with us!
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Last edited by Dugette; 01-11-2011 at 11:07 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
A&Bmama
DIS Veteran

Yipee I am first! Living on the east coast comes in handy sometimes.

What a treat to have with my coffee this morning!

Your officail "trip report trailer" is fantastic!!!!

I have to run and start getting the kids up for school but I'll be back later to some more thoughs on the first installment.

Me, DH, DD12, DS 19
Old 01-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
MiaBella05
DIS Veteran

joining in
Caribbean Beach - Oct. '08
Riverside - May '09

Old 01-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Ok I'm the Disney film did me in I LOVED it! Can't wait to read more.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
A&Bmama
DIS Veteran

Ok, all is quiet at home now so I have some time to write a proper reply.

First, I am glad I reread your post. I totally skimmed over the first part where you mentioned a trailer on your PTR. I went back to check it out since I didn't remember seeing it before and realized you had some recent posts there! I don't follow many TRs so I don't bother to subscribe. I just check for posts regularly. But, you have surprised me a couple of times by posting when I didn't expect it, so, I have learned my lesson and subscribed to this one.

First, let me say a big thank you for posting the pics of the H2O products! I am definitely going to treat myself to one of those travel essentials packs and maybe pick-up a full sized lotion as well. I don't think they sell the bar soaps separately or I would get some of those too.

I love the trailer on the PTR, but I am absolutely blown away by the one on the TR! I have watched it about 10 times already. You guys are very, very skilled and creative. I would insert a clapping smiley here if I could find one... Since I can't, I'll just say BRAVO, BRAVO!!!

I love all the teasers you put in this installment and I think I know what's up with the towel. I have a few hunches about some others but I'll keep my thoughts to myself. I don't want to spoil any surprises in case I am right. There are other teasers that are leaving me scratching my head. I'll just have to stay tuned.

It does sound like you were able to have a fitting end to your year of Disney. I can't wait to hear more about it!

Me, DH, DD12, DS 19
Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Disneymoon09
DIS Veteran

Yay another Dug and Dugette TR! I love Disney at the holidays. If a good discount comes out for around christmas next year, we are going to try to change our dates.

Dec 1996-Offsite (Give Kids the World Grounds)
Dec 2009- All Star Movies
Sept 2011 - POP
Nov 2013 - ASMo with BFF for Gingerbread 5k at GKTW!
Nov 2013- Beckett's First Trip!
May 2014- POP, leaving the kid at home!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Jumping aboard!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 01-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
gellybean
DIS Veteran

I'm sooooooooooo in!!!

You're putting me to shame starting already. I'm afraid my Dec TR is gonna have to wait until we get back!

Should we be looking for you this weekend??

Can't wait to read all about your Grand Finale Trip!!!

Read all about our special needs, miracle daughter Violet @ http://youjustmightfindyougetwhatyouneed.blogspot.com/

September 2012 PTR - I actually just squealed with excitement!! We are going back! Baby girl's 1st trip!! Nemo Suite at AoA
Old 01-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
jc040404
DIS Veteran

LOVED the trailer! That was awesome!

I'm so excited to read about this trip!!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
tyandskyesmom
DIS Veteran

just read through your PTR and all I can say is WOW...you sure did go through a lot to get there and so far are reaping the rewards for it!

Cannot wait to read about hte rest of your trip!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

Oh man I am IN!!! for this. First of all, you are so brilliant and creative. A trailer for your trip report...why didn't I think of that?! I cracked up out loud when I saw "WHOOPI" - wasn't expecting that, haha! Secondly, FIVE trips in 2010? My head is spinning with jealousy!!

I was in Minnesota & Wisconsin once in late November, and I couldn't believe how cold it was. Like, I thought we got it bad here in NJ/NY, but your area was worse! It must have felt amazing to get out of that cold and to Disney!

I can't wait to read more!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #13
TheThomsLuvDisney
DIS Veteran

I'm in ! Another great trailer, can't wait to see more!

DCL Feb 2014 Fantasy Eastern~SSR
DCL Feb 2013 Fantasy Western~BLT
Aulani April 2012
DCL Feb 2011 Dream B2B~AKL
DCL Jan 2010 Magical Eastern~CBR
DCL Jan 2008 Magical Western~SSR
DCL Jan 2006 Magical Western~POP
DCL Jan 2005 Magical Eastern~WL
DCL Jan 1999 7 Day Land/Sea~POFQ
Old 01-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
Dugette
DIS Veteran

everybody! Glad to have you all here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&Bmama View Post
Yipee I am first! Living on the east coast comes in handy sometimes.

What a treat to have with my coffee this morning!

Your officail "trip report trailer" is fantastic!!!!

I have to run and start getting the kids up for school but I'll be back later to some more thoughs on the first installment.
for being first! See, you got your "prize" from the PTR (sort of)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaBella05 View Post
joining in
Welcome, thanks for following all the TRs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovealldisney View Post
Ok I'm the Disney film did me in I LOVED it! Can't wait to read more.
Welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed the trailer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&Bmama View Post
Ok, all is quiet at home now so I have some time to write a proper reply.

First, I am glad I reread your post. I totally skimmed over the first part where you mentioned a trailer on your PTR. I went back to check it out since I didn't remember seeing it before and realized you had some recent posts there! I don't follow many TRs so I don't bother to subscribe. I just check for posts regularly. But, you have surprised me a couple of times by posting when I didn't expect it, so, I have learned my lesson and subscribed to this one.

First, let me say a big thank you for posting the pics of the H2O products! I am definitely going to treat myself to one of those travel essentials packs and maybe pick-up a full sized lotion as well. I don't think they sell the bar soaps separately or I would get some of those too.

I love the trailer on the PTR, but I am absolutely blown away by the one on the TR! I have watched it about 10 times already. You guys are very, very skilled and creative. I would insert a clapping smiley here if I could find one... Since I can't, I'll just say BRAVO, BRAVO!!!

I love all the teasers you put in this installment and I think I know what's up with the towel. I have a few hunches about some others but I'll keep my thoughts to myself. I don't want to spoil any surprises in case I am right. There are other teasers that are leaving me scratching my head. I'll just have to stay tuned.

It does sound like you were able to have a fitting end to your year of Disney. I can't wait to hear more about it!
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed both trailers. And I'm glad the H2O stuff helped you! Thank you for subscribing! Yeah, for followers of the PTR, some of the teasers aren't too hard to figure out. But others, I haven't spoken of at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymoon09 View Post
Yay another Dug and Dugette TR! I love Disney at the holidays. If a good discount comes out for around christmas next year, we are going to try to change our dates.
It is so cool during the holidays. Definitely go early December if you find a discount! We loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Jumping aboard!
Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellybean View Post
I'm sooooooooooo in!!!

You're putting me to shame starting already. I'm afraid my Dec TR is gonna have to wait until we get back!

Should we be looking for you this weekend??

Can't wait to read all about your Grand Finale Trip!!!
So funny that you'll be the one in WDW when our APs expire! Although tempting to go back, I don't think we could top our last trip! (Not to mention the over-budget thing). Have a great time and I can't wait to hear all about your December and January trips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc040404 View Post
LOVED the trailer! That was awesome!

I'm so excited to read about this trip!!
I'm glad you enjoyed! I'm excited to write about this trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyandskyesmom View Post
just read through your PTR and all I can say is WOW...you sure did go through a lot to get there and so far are reaping the rewards for it!

Cannot wait to read about hte rest of your trip!
Thanks for checking out the PTR! It was sure a wild ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
Oh man I am IN!!! for this. First of all, you are so brilliant and creative. A trailer for your trip report...why didn't I think of that?! I cracked up out loud when I saw "WHOOPI" - wasn't expecting that, haha! Secondly, FIVE trips in 2010? My head is spinning with jealousy!!

I was in Minnesota & Wisconsin once in late November, and I couldn't believe how cold it was. Like, I thought we got it bad here in NJ/NY, but your area was worse! It must have felt amazing to get out of that cold and to Disney!

I can't wait to read more!
I'm glad you got the Whoopi humor! I thought that would be funny to throw her in there with the Disney characters!

Yeah, we've been on a lot of WDW trips recently. But, it will be a few years before we go back, most likely. The nice thing about doing the Year of Disney is that we got to experience several special seasonal events: Star Wars Weekends, Food & Wine, and the Holidays.

It can get pretty cold here, for sure. However, it was chilly in Florida for several days of our trip too. But at least the snow there wasn't real, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThomsLuvDisney View Post
I'm in ! Another great trailer, can't wait to see more!
Welcome, glad you enjoyed this one too!

And, to everyone, I should probably mention that iMovie really makes it easy to make trailers. The new version has what is basically a bunch of templates and you just throw in the clips you want and change some of the words and it's done. I love it! I actually went to school for video production and could probably make these from scratch, but this is way quicker and requires far less thought and planning! Dug actually did most of the work on the trailers. I'm glad everyone is enjoying them, though. They're so fun that I'm thinking about making a new one for each day of the trip, if I have enough interesting video. We'll see on that.

More to come soon!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #15
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

Followed you over from another TR. Can't wait to read about your Dec adventure!

Me DH, DD15 Family 1982, 1989 HS choir trip, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: