Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #91
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocky5 View Post
So - Walgreens was packed with everyone else in this town who is fighting the flu! So I didn't even go inside - hit the drive thru and may do some of this - - and see if I can come up with some items over the next several months. I do like the red bin idea to hide stuff. Wonder if DH would get sick of taking it out of and putting it back in the attic?? My almost 13 yo DD is a little bit snoopy sometimes...
Oh yes, keeping things from prying eyes.... harder the older they get.

I think soon, there won't be much in the way of Christmas items on clearance. I think some places may still have some red bins.. however, soon...2011 stuff will come out. In all seriousness... probably only 8 months from now. Then you wouldn't have to have but a couple of months of your dh taking it down out of the attic.

Oh...there was a sale online. Disneystore.com had red fleece pullovers and zippered jackets on sale. Those might be worth checking out...
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #92
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

I thought I would pass along a suggestion I saw on another thread. The thread was about the PhotoPass frames, or lack thereof for 2011, and I commented about the lack of 2010 merchandise in the gift shops. Someone suggested ordering the items online prior to taking the trip.
I wish someone had mentioned it to me before we went.

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Daddy_of_Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #93
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
I thought I would pass along a suggestion I saw on another thread. The thread was about the PhotoPass frames, or lack thereof for 2011, and I commented about the lack of 2010 merchandise in the gift shops. Someone suggested ordering the items online prior to taking the trip.
I wish someone had mentioned it to me before we went.
That is an excellent idea! I had read on your TR that you experienced a bit of trouble finding 2010 items. Were there Christmas 2010 items?

And here I thought I would be slowing down my purchasing for this trip since the clearances were ending. I am gonna be checking out online much more now!

Thanks so much for the tip.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #94
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
That is an excellent idea! I had read on your TR that you experienced a bit of trouble finding 2010 items. Were there Christmas 2010 items?

And here I thought I would be slowing down my purchasing for this trip since the clearances were ending. I am gonna be checking out online much more now!

Thanks so much for the tip.
We went into the Christmas Shop at DTD, and we got a 2010 ornament, but we weren't looking for alot of 2010 Christmas stuff. I even managed to get a photo album the last day we were there, it was the only one, and it was clearance priced half off, so that was cool. Before that I only saw the 2011 photo album which wouldn't work.

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Daddy_of_Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #95
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

what about a change?

As Kira's disneymoon gets closer, I have been enjoying listening to her plans. This means watching video of the resort she is staying at as well as looking through pictures. It makes me wonder if we are going to like WL.

I know it is really pretty at Christmas. It is also a deluxe so I would think that some of the resort would be "nicer" such as the beds, right? I know when we stayed at YC, the beds were heavenly It just seems too much like what I see every day. (I kinda live in the mountains..well, not quite..more like foothills to the cascade mountain range...but still) Lodge theme... a lot of places look like that here. Even my bedroom is filled with moose and bear and trees. (yes, I have lodge themed bedroom)

However, I really liked POR. Well, the room itself was not my FAVORITE. (we stayed in AB section) The grounds are what I like. I also look at the Mansion section and think those rooms are really cool. Plus, I believe they are doing a refurb this year...and putting queen beds in. I also like the boat ride to DTD.

I don't know..I probably am just being silly. WL is going to be beautiful at Christmas.

The other thing is we may be extending our dates. My in-laws have decided they may not go to FL in December. This would mean that we would not be going down to the gulf to spend Christmas with them. This gives us just a few options.

1. We still plan on spending Christmas down near Sarasota. We would leave WDW as planned on the 22nd and check into a new hotel or condo and stay through to the 26th or 27th.

2. We would leave WDW as planned on the 22nd and head home...spending Christmas at home. (which the point to this trip was to spend Christmas away)

3. We change our dates for our stay at WDW. I would be inclined to check in later and extend by only a couple nights. I hate to fly home on my birthday, but... it actually beats what I normally do on my birthday which is drive my kids all over to go shopping with their gift cards that everyone gave them for Christmas.

So there are my ramblings for the day.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #96
tankgirl427
DIS Veteran

I'm here I'm here! How did I not know you had a PTR going?

"You held me down, but I got up, Get ready cause I’ve had enough."

PHM 2015-In Pursuit of Cupcakes While Running in Glass Slippers

Pre 2006 doesn't count, 2006: Dolphin, 2006: 16 hours of MK & EP, 2009: DL, 2010: PC with DDP, 2011: Off-site with friends & PC, 2012: AKL & BLT, POFQ, 2013: POP, POP, DL, POP
tankgirl427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #97
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl427 View Post
I'm here I'm here! How did I not know you had a PTR going?
so glad you are here!!! And you too have another PTR going! I need to hope over there.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #98
chunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Doh! I just found your PTR!!

Can't believe I didn't notice your PTR sooner! Well I am here now and am all caught up and super excited to read all about your trip! WL is one of the resorts that I would LOVE to do one day! How exciting! Love all the planning so far. Are you doing the regular dining plan? Do you have a list of TS restaurants that you want to try?

I'm so excited too that I get to read your PTR for pretty much the rest of the year! After my sister's trip in March, I don't know when my next trip will be! So I will live vicariously through you
chunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #99
onescgirl
DIS Veteran

So is your moose & bear life size in your room?

I think you will have fun no matter which resort you choose.

I vote to spend Christmas in Disney!

2012 PTR In Progress: 2012 PTR ~ Skipping Skool for Free Dining!
Trip Report: Sept 2010 TR ~ ♥ Vacay with the Lovebugs ♥ ~ 2010 PTR: 2010 PTR ~ 'The Non-Catchy Title PTR'

onescgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 AM   #100
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
Can't believe I didn't notice your PTR sooner! Well I am here now and am all caught up and super excited to read all about your trip! WL is one of the resorts that I would LOVE to do one day! How exciting! Love all the planning so far. Are you doing the regular dining plan? Do you have a list of TS restaurants that you want to try?

I'm so excited too that I get to read your PTR for pretty much the rest of the year! After my sister's trip in March, I don't know when my next trip will be! So I will live vicariously through you
Yay!! Glad you are here. I will eventually get a list of restaurants I want to go to. Maybe I will work on that this weekend. Right now we are booked with regular dp. The will mean 7 ts credits. I am not sure that is going to be enough...so the thought has crossed my mind to go deluxe....but...maybe that would be too much food. Yes, I think a list is in order...then maybe everyone can help me weed through it. I only have like 5 months till I can make my ADRS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by onescgirl View Post
So is your moose & bear life size in your room?

I think you will have fun no matter which resort you choose.

I vote to spend Christmas in Disney!
Life size...no. My walls are brown with a painted border. The border is a band of off white (with swirls of tan) Within that is trees, moose and bears. Nothing fancy... I also have things like a lamp that the shade has trees and a pine cone.. Hmmm... I should take a pic of the lamp...then you will see why WL reminds me of home. I will do that ...just not tonight.

I think I vote Christmas in Disney too... I just need to see about the cost. Room rates like double over Christmas.

Last edited by annmarieda; 02-04-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #101
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As Kira's disneymoon gets closer, I have been enjoying listening to her plans. This means watching video of the resort she is staying at as well as looking through pictures. It makes me wonder if we are going to like WL.

I know it is really pretty at Christmas. It is also a deluxe so I would think that some of the resort would be "nicer" such as the beds, right? I know when we stayed at YC, the beds were heavenly It just seems too much like what I see every day. (I kinda live in the mountains..well, not quite..more like foothills to the cascade mountain range...but still) Lodge theme... a lot of places look like that here. Even my bedroom is filled with moose and bear and trees. (yes, I have lodge themed bedroom)

However, I really liked POR. Well, the room itself was not my FAVORITE. (we stayed in AB section) The grounds are what I like. I also look at the Mansion section and think those rooms are really cool. Plus, I believe they are doing a refurb this year...and putting queen beds in. I also like the boat ride to DTD.

I don't know..I probably am just being silly. WL is going to be beautiful at Christmas.

The other thing is we may be extending our dates. My in-laws have decided they may not go to FL in December. This would mean that we would not be going down to the gulf to spend Christmas with them. This gives us just a few options.

1. We still plan on spending Christmas down near Sarasota. We would leave WDW as planned on the 22nd and check into a new hotel or condo and stay through to the 26th or 27th.

2. We would leave WDW as planned on the 22nd and head home...spending Christmas at home. (which the point to this trip was to spend Christmas away)

3. We change our dates for our stay at WDW. I would be inclined to check in later and extend by only a couple nights. I hate to fly home on my birthday, but... it actually beats what I normally do on my birthday which is drive my kids all over to go shopping with their gift cards that everyone gave them for Christmas.

So there are my ramblings for the day.
So...the danger in planning a trip so far in advance is that you change your mind about a million times! About a million little details... If I dared go back through my PTR I'm sure I'd be shocked by the number of changes that my little trip went through on its journey to becoming real. I was very set on doing the Contemporary for this trip, but in the end, I couldn't swallow the nearly two thousand dollar price difference. At least not now...someday, I hope, just not yet. So, I'm very happy to go back to CSR. They have a really awesome playground, anyway, and CR doesn't have one at all!

Personally, I wouldn't want to stay somewhere that was like where I'm from, although I can see the appeal of the WL at Christmas. Its kind of like how I wouldn't want to stay at the YC or the BC because I'm from New England and have been doing the whole Cape Cod beach thing my entire life. When I go to Florida, I really want to know I'm in Florida....or somewhere tropical, anyway. But not everyone feels that way. Personal preference, I suppose.

I saw you mention something about the DDP earlier... Here are my two cents: I had originally planned on us doing the regular DDP, even though we did the DxDP last year and really enjoyed it. Do I think I saved money? No because we had more actual meals and ordered an appetizer, entrée, and dessert at every meal (including lunch!). We would not usually do this. I could see us splitting things and skipping the dessert entirely. Personally, I'd much rather have dessert a couple hours after dinner. That's just me, though. My husband really loved having our food pre-paid and not having to worry about that on our trip. I have to say that I liked that, too.

When I sat down to figure it out for this trip, I was bothered by the idea of paying for the DDP and then having to pay for so many things OOP. I love appetizers, for example, and knew I'd want to order some along the way. I also enjoy stopping for table service meals and Disney is loaded with cool places to try. I also knew we'd want to do a lot of character meals. So, in the end, we went with the DxDP. It is a lot of food, that's true. But we're mostly doing either a character breakfast and dinner with little or no plans for lunch, or lunch and dinner. I don't think there are any days we have ADRs for all three meals. I'm also daring to do two signatures with my son, as we are going early, I can take him out or cancel if he's not in the right mood, and there were lots of kids in all the signatures we ate at last year, and we had late ADRs. We also really enjoy going to nice restaurants and didn't mind the time we spent at TS meals in the slightest.

That's probably more than two cents... So, I'll stop now.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #102
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
So...the danger in planning a trip so far in advance is that you change your mind about a million times! About a million little details... If I dared go back through my PTR I'm sure I'd be shocked by the number of changes that my little trip went through on its journey to becoming real. I was very set on doing the Contemporary for this trip, but in the end, I couldn't swallow the nearly two thousand dollar price difference. At least not now...someday, I hope, just not yet. So, I'm very happy to go back to CSR. They have a really awesome playground, anyway, and CR doesn't have one at all!

Personally, I wouldn't want to stay somewhere that was like where I'm from, although I can see the appeal of the WL at Christmas. Its kind of like how I wouldn't want to stay at the YC or the BC because I'm from New England and have been doing the whole Cape Cod beach thing my entire life. When I go to Florida, I really want to know I'm in Florida....or somewhere tropical, anyway. But not everyone feels that way. Personal preference, I suppose.

I saw you mention something about the DDP earlier... Here are my two cents: I had originally planned on us doing the regular DDP, even though we did the DxDP last year and really enjoyed it. Do I think I saved money? No because we had more actual meals and ordered an appetizer, entrée, and dessert at every meal (including lunch!). We would not usually do this. I could see us splitting things and skipping the dessert entirely. Personally, I'd much rather have dessert a couple hours after dinner. That's just me, though. My husband really loved having our food pre-paid and not having to worry about that on our trip. I have to say that I liked that, too.

When I sat down to figure it out for this trip, I was bothered by the idea of paying for the DDP and then having to pay for so many things OOP. I love appetizers, for example, and knew I'd want to order some along the way. I also enjoy stopping for table service meals and Disney is loaded with cool places to try. I also knew we'd want to do a lot of character meals. So, in the end, we went with the DxDP. It is a lot of food, that's true. But we're mostly doing either a character breakfast and dinner with little or no plans for lunch, or lunch and dinner. I don't think there are any days we have ADRs for all three meals. I'm also daring to do two signatures with my son, as we are going early, I can take him out or cancel if he's not in the right mood, and there were lots of kids in all the signatures we ate at last year, and we had late ADRs. We also really enjoy going to nice restaurants and didn't mind the time we spent at TS meals in the slightest.

That's probably more than two cents... So, I'll stop now.
Well, I love your two cents! (or the extra beyond it even )

As it turns out, Steve is actually opposed to staying at POR. Not that he didn't like it last year, but he wants to stay in a deluxe resort. Honestly, I am not certain that WL will really feel all that more upscale than POR...but...it is his wish and who am I to not play along? After all...most of the time I feel like I push him with Disney, so it is nice to see him actually want something regarding it. WL may seem too close to "home" but the other deluxe resorts are just a bit more than I want to spend..so WL or AKL is it for us. Besides, WL will be amazing at Christmas.

On the dp... Steve is leaning towards deluxe. I think we have decided we will be spending more on something. Alex and Zoe don't want to share a bed (can't say I blame them) Bunk beds would be a bit more per night. Concierge level would only be a bit more beyond that and we could request the bunk beds (as far as I can tell that is how it would work) For the same cost as the upgrade to concierge level we could do deluxe dinning. Obviously, the standard room with bunks would be the least expensive option. I need to sit down as see where it is we actually think we want to eat. Then I can see how much oop dinning we would actually be doing.

Well, tomorrow is Zoe's birthday. Don't have a big day planned, but I need to get some rest before morning is here. Can't spend all my time on dis.

And as far as Christmas...we still have not decided. Do we stay in WDW... I hate to spend the extra cash for those nights....but I would love to stay for Christmas.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #103
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, I love your two cents! (or the extra beyond it even )

As it turns out, Steve is actually opposed to staying at POR. Not that he didn't like it last year, but he wants to stay in a deluxe resort. Honestly, I am not certain that WL will really feel all that more upscale than POR...but...it is his wish and who am I to not play along? After all...most of the time I feel like I push him with Disney, so it is nice to see him actually want something regarding it. WL may seem too close to "home" but the other deluxe resorts are just a bit more than I want to spend..so WL or AKL is it for us. Besides, WL will be amazing at Christmas.

On the dp... Steve is leaning towards deluxe. I think we have decided we will be spending more on something. Alex and Zoe don't want to share a bed (can't say I blame them) Bunk beds would be a bit more per night. Concierge level would only be a bit more beyond that and we could request the bunk beds (as far as I can tell that is how it would work) For the same cost as the upgrade to concierge level we could do deluxe dinning. Obviously, the standard room with bunks would be the least expensive option. I need to sit down as see where it is we actually think we want to eat. Then I can see how much oop dinning we would actually be doing.

Well, tomorrow is Zoe's birthday. Don't have a big day planned, but I need to get some rest before morning is here. Can't spend all my time on dis.

And as far as Christmas...we still have not decided. Do we stay in WDW... I hate to spend the extra cash for those nights....but I would love to stay for Christmas.
First of all, Happy Birthday to Zoe! Hope you have a magical day.

I totally get it about going with something your husband wants. Mark expresses very few preferences about anything, so when he does, I go with it.

One of my dream trips would be to visit Disney over Christmas, and since we're both teachers, it would have to actually be over Christmas, or right after. Either way...super expensive! But I would LOVE to do it. If this is your chance, go for it.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #104
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
First of all, Happy Birthday to Zoe! Hope you have a magical day.

Thank you. I plan to take some pictures to share. I can't believe Zoe turns 6 today. It was such a long journey for her to get to us and then with all her medical issues another long journey. She is such a joy in my life I couldn't imagine her not here.

Quote:
I totally get it about going with something your husband wants. Mark expresses very few preferences about anything, so when he does, I go with it.
Exactly! Now if I could just get him to commit to where he wants to eat more than just "everywhere"

Quote:
One of my dream trips would be to visit Disney over Christmas, and since we're both teachers, it would have to actually be over Christmas, or right after. Either way...super expensive! But I would LOVE to do it. If this is your chance, go for it.
I am pretty sure we will end up staying over Christmas. I am just not certain where. (a split stay intrigues me) If we do stay those extra few nights then we won't be booking deluxe dinning or going concierge. Course, now that I think about it...having those few extra ts on the dp would likely be what we would need to eat at the places we want to go. AND...we wouldn't have to cram them all into a shorter span of time. OHHHHH, I think I may have just come closer to figuring something out. Sometimes "talking out loud" is just what I need to be able to think through something.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #105
DisneyKira
Mouseketeer

I vote for AKL If you stay over christmas, will you be staying on your birthday?
DisneyKira is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: