Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
Hasil72
DIS Veteran

Actually Bookwormde, NJ is pretty hit or miss especially with the budget crunch. I have one local district that has a phenomenal reputation on one side of me and one 2 towns away that I have heard nightmares about. Mine is pretty good although I haven't heard of ANY districts in my county offering programs specifically designed for HFA/Asperger's students like I've heard about in other areas and states. (If I ever win the lottery, it's at the top of my list.) And now that Gov. Christie would like schools to be run more like businesses, I don't see any expansion of existing services.

DVCisME, stay strong and keep pushing. When my son started with his aide/para, it was on a part-time trial basis. Once they saw what an improvement there was, they added it into the IEP and eventually changed it to FT. Every child is different, we're content with an OHI classification, as long as our son receives the services he requires. His para is great, she fosters independence but is there should DS need her. She has her own desk near, but not on top of, DS's and does assist other students. I have to admit though, that she has never been with DS for lunch or recess.

We faced the same questions about "stigmatizing" him from our own pediatrician. Guess what? I'd rather label him the ASD kid or the kid with issues than traumatize him. Is your son already classified? I agree with writing a letter to the Director of Special Services that you insist on a full evaluation (or re-eval). Insist that they observe recess and lunch. They have 20 days to respond. Once you meet and sign the paperwork authorizing the eval, they have 60 days to complete it and meet with you to discuss the findings. Then, if they still say no, you can appeal. Good luck!

Where in NJ are you located?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #17
DVCisME
DIS Veteran

My son does currently have an IEP. It is classified as OHI. We recently. last week, got a diagnosis of aspergers. When we started this process in Sept 2009 I believed he had aspergers. I cited his social complications and his need for structure. At that time we were in a different town. Even they did the evaluations they only looked as hid IQ. HIs OT was denied but cited difficult cutting, with motor skills, and a funnel grasp for pencil. I told the school that I was disappointed that they did not look at him with his peers, that he was denied OT, etc.
We started this school year at Little Egg harbor, we recently moved. At the first meeting I again stated that I did not agree with the IEP. We also agreed that a monthly social worker visit was needed as he had anxiety about school. The team agreed that our concerns sounded like aspergers. They told us about a lunch bunch and that he would be in an inclusion class.

In September I asked for him to be re-evaluated for OT. He qualified and was to receive services once a week.
In October he was hurt at school, the stitches. No one could tell me what was going on during recess. It was at this time that I found at the special education teacher was done for the day at 11. I asked about the lunch bunch and a buddy system. A week later he was being bullied on the bus...

In November I stated that my son was still having a great deal of difficulty. I stated that the second half of his day was very heavy is loosly structured activities and social interaction. Still no word on the lunch bunch and they were not able to find a buddy yet. I stated that my son was suffering, specifically his self esteem. He was constantly saying he hated school and had no friends. At this point I brought recommendations for a psychologist. OT was supposed to be increased to 2x. I also noted that the main teacher was out half the time and that was an issue. On Nov 18 she was out until Jan 18, plans on coming back and then will be out in a month or so for maternity leave. They told me that there was an aid for the second half of the day. However, my son did not know anything about the woman. The special ed teacher told me that she was really just their for one student who was waiting on equipment to come in (I think for an auditory problem)

On the first day back from break I brought the school the diagnosis and recommendations. Asked for a log of when he sees OT, aid or extra pair of eyes for second half of day, consideration for speech services. Asked again about a buddy and lunch bunch to no avail. I also asked for a functional behavior analysis. The woman today stated that they do not see any behavior that would need to be observed. I stated his social difficult, something during the special at the end of the day is triggering him, his low self-esteem, his comment5ting about problems on the bus and his meltdowns at home.

I was informed that with the diagnosis changed to autistic we would have a little more weight as to why he needs these services, instead of that acting like we are making them up. Is this incorrect? Could this be correct due to the way the school has thus handled the sitaution?

Anything else that one might need to know?
DVCisME is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #18
tweedlemom
DIS Veteran

Should you need it, here is a link to a southern NJ law firm specializing in education law. I heard one of the lawyers present 2 years ago and she was fabulous!
http://www.reismancarolla.com/index.php
Hugs to you!

tweedlemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCisME View Post
My son does currently have an IEP. It is classified as OHI. We recently. last week, got a diagnosis of aspergers. When we started this process in Sept 2009 I believed he had aspergers. I cited his social complications and his need for structure. At that time we were in a different town. Even they did the evaluations they only looked as hid IQ. HIs OT was denied but cited difficult cutting, with motor skills, and a funnel grasp for pencil. I told the school that I was disappointed that they did not look at him with his peers, that he was denied OT, etc.
We started this school year at Little Egg harbor, we recently moved. At the first meeting I again stated that I did not agree with the IEP. We also agreed that a monthly social worker visit was needed as he had anxiety about school. The team agreed that our concerns sounded like aspergers. They told us about a lunch bunch and that he would be in an inclusion class.

In September I asked for him to be re-evaluated for OT. He qualified and was to receive services once a week.
In October he was hurt at school, the stitches. No one could tell me what was going on during recess. It was at this time that I found at the special education teacher was done for the day at 11. I asked about the lunch bunch and a buddy system. A week later he was being bullied on the bus...

In November I stated that my son was still having a great deal of difficulty. I stated that the second half of his day was very heavy is loosly structured activities and social interaction. Still no word on the lunch bunch and they were not able to find a buddy yet. I stated that my son was suffering, specifically his self esteem. He was constantly saying he hated school and had no friends. At this point I brought recommendations for a psychologist. OT was supposed to be increased to 2x. I also noted that the main teacher was out half the time and that was an issue. On Nov 18 she was out until Jan 18, plans on coming back and then will be out in a month or so for maternity leave. They told me that there was an aid for the second half of the day. However, my son did not know anything about the woman. The special ed teacher told me that she was really just their for one student who was waiting on equipment to come in (I think for an auditory problem)

On the first day back from break I brought the school the diagnosis and recommendations. Asked for a log of when he sees OT, aid or extra pair of eyes for second half of day, consideration for speech services. Asked again about a buddy and lunch bunch to no avail. I also asked for a functional behavior analysis. The woman today stated that they do not see any behavior that would need to be observed. I stated his social difficult, something during the special at the end of the day is triggering him, his low self-esteem, his comment5ting about problems on the bus and his meltdowns at home.

I was informed that with the diagnosis changed to autistic we would have a little more weight as to why he needs these services, instead of that acting like we are making them up. Is this incorrect? Could this be correct due to the way the school has thus handled the sitaution?

Anything else that one might need to know?
Federal law says that ANY of the labels, including OHI, gets a student ALL the support he needs to progress in school. Most schools don't understand this, and will try to tell a parent they need x label or y label to get x aid or y service. There are some perameters, like safety issues, and the child and other children in the class need to be learning, but it's supposed to be an INDIVIDUAL education plan, not like oh you're this label, so you only get these supports.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #20
Hasil72
DIS Veteran

I feel for you, I really do. Sounds like they have reason after reason lined up for you. Hang in there.

Out of curiosity, is most of your dialogue with the case mgr or the school? I found at one point they would bounce parents back and forth. School would say that it has to go through the CST and CST said it had to go through the school. I would ask for input from all his teachers. Just send out a mass email to them asking what type of behaviors they are experiencing in their class. I would keep pushing and get an advocate involved. The advocate can go in to observe in the afternoon to see what may be triggering the outbursts. Sounds like you're logging. Keep documenting everything, every little detail in a notebook. I'm sure others will feel differently but I found that our DS receives the same services with an OHI as he would for AUT. He didn't qualify for AUT based on the stress that NJ Code places on the communication piece of the classification. He gets small group and inv. social skills therapy, etc. Sadly, our district doesn't have a lunch bunch or buddy program. We keep asking but they keep telling us they can't provide such services. I specifically asked both the team at the school he attends, the team at the school I work for, and a few consultants if it would make a difference and asked if I should push for AUT and they all told me that it wouldn't make a difference in the services he received so we left it OHI.

Have you considered having him see a therapist though your health insurance? It has helped our DS quite a bit. We still have highs and lows and battle the "I have no friends, everyone thinks I'm weird" days but they are much fewer than before. As for the bus, can they move his seat closer to the aide, if there is one, or the driver? Noise is a trigger for my DS so I take him to school but he has to take the bus to the after school program. We found that by wearing the noise reducing ear buds attached to his MP3, whether it's on or not, helps prevent him from becoming overwhelmed on the bus. He has clear silicon ear plugs for assemblies or pep rallys. Is there an alternative for recess? DS goes to the LGI (large group instruction) room like a computer lab rather than recess.

Good luck, just don't give up.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #21
DVCisME
DIS Veteran

Thank you. I am not entirely upset that the school will not change the iep from OHI to AUT as I am tha tthey will not take the doctors recommendations. I have reached out to SPANN, just got a few resources from Autism Family Services of NJ, and am calling an advocate from FACES.

I had my son bring in headphones for the bus, but was told he was not allowed to wear them. The school said they will take care of this. In the meantime, I don't want my son getting in trouble and adding to his anxiety.
As for services my son really is not recieving any. He goes to OT 2x a week and sees the school social worker once a month. We are taking him to someone privately and are fighting with the insurance to cover it...
One of my big concerns is that with the special ed teacher leaving at 11, no one is able to tell me what is going on for the second half of the day. I am thinking about going in to observe, but I also know my son's behavior will be different with me there (I have volunteered at the school in the past).
Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #22
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

How much para time per week does his IEP specify? It should be spelled out in hours per day and days per week or in hours per week if the IEP is properly written.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #23
DVCisME
DIS Veteran

He does not have any para time. That is what I am trying to get.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #24
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

So the para that he has in the morning is something that the school is providing but is not required to do? I'm glad to hear that the school is standing up for your son with the bus driver.

Isn't waiting until April beyond their legal limit of how long an evaluation can take? Unless you signed something stating the delay is acceptable of course. When my DD12 was first being evaluated by our school I did sign a waiver to give the school more time because I knew that they were contracting to a highly sought after psychologist who specilizes in autism so to me it was worth the wait. I thought the school only had 45 days to complete the evaluation unless the parent agrees to the extention. Bookworm, am I wrong about this?

I don't under the school saying that there's nothing to observe. They haven't observed him; how do they know what there is to observe?

It sounds as though your son is very high functioning. I'm confused about something. Why do you need somebody to tell you what's happening in the classroom in the afternoon? Is this the reason you want a para in the afternoon? What need is not being met with the absense of a para? Obviously you have a concern that he's being bullied at recess; the school needs to step up and protect him from being bullied and you need to state the problem this way. Schools have very strict bullying policies these days. This is not something that you need to even adress as part of his being a special needs child; the school must protect ALL students from being bullied. Ask them how they plan to accomplish this since he is currently being bullied (you'll want to provide examples).

I think you're focussing far too much on telling the school what solution you want rather that documenting the problems and handing these to the school to figure out a solution. The school is not obligated to provide your choice of solutions; the school is obligated to provide a solution that is reasonable. Have you asked the school what they can do about his specific problems? Have you asked the school to provide recommendations?

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 01-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #25
DVCisME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
So the para that he has in the morning is something that the school is providing but is not required to do? I'm glad to hear that the school is standing up for your son with the bus driver.

Isn't waiting until April beyond their legal limit of how long an evaluation can take? Unless you signed something stating the delay is acceptable of course. When my DD12 was first being evaluated by our school I did sign a waiver to give the school more time because I knew that they were contracting to a highly sought after psychologist who specilizes in autism so to me it was worth the wait. I thought the school only had 45 days to complete the evaluation unless the parent agrees to the extention. Bookworm, am I wrong about this?

I don't under the school saying that there's nothing to observe. They haven't observed him; how do they know what there is to observe?

It sounds as though your son is very high functioning. I'm confused about something. Why do you need somebody to tell you what's happening in the classroom in the afternoon? Is this the reason you want a para in the afternoon? What need is not being met with the absense of a para? Obviously you have a concern that he's being bullied at recess; the school needs to step up and protect him from being bullied and you need to state the problem this way. Schools have very strict bullying policies these days. This is not something that you need to even adress as part of his being a special needs child; the school must protect ALL students from being bullied. Ask them how they plan to accomplish this since he is currently being bullied (you'll want to provide examples).

I think you're focussing far too much on telling the school what solution you want rather that documenting the problems and handing these to the school to figure out a solution. The school is not obligated to provide your choice of solutions; the school is obligated to provide a solution that is reasonable. Have you asked the school what they can do about his specific problems? Have you asked the school to provide recommendations?
I am sorry this is all a little confusing to me. The woman in the morning is a special ed teacher for the classroom, they co-teach. My son is in an inclusion classroom, with no one specifically for him. Does that help?

I am not sure if the time requirement is in effect. He does already have an IEP. I think I might have to formally request a re-evaluation now that they rejected my docotor.
He was previously observed at another school. I do think it would be abenefit for him to be observed again for many reasons. One this year he is with all new kids and seems to be having a hard time socializing. Two the gap between him and his peers is widening. And three is something is triggering him to come home and have more frequent meltdowns and plummeting self esteem.
I would like the para in the afternoon because his afternoon is heavy with unstructured activities and social interactions. The problem seems to be stemming sometime in the afternoon, since the special ed teacher is telling me everything is okay.
I disagree that I am focusing too much on what I want. I have tries since Sept to hear there suggestions. What few suggestions they have made are of ill fit for my son. They believe it is our responsibility alone to make sure his socialization is happening. They recommended we put him on sports teams. He has neither the self esteem or motor skills to do that.
I have in fact handed them documentation of the events that show he needs more support. They said he could get hurt anywhere and that they can not help facilitate play.
I do however disagree with this. I would be more than happy with a classroom aid to oversee what is happening. I would be happy with them acknowledging that my son needs support.
At this point in time, my son has gone through two schools with no help. I fear that as him and his peers get older this gap will only get bigger. I am doing all I can in my power to help my son. I would be more than happy to take the schools recommendation, if appropriate, or any support.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #26
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

My daughter is in a regular classroom. There is a para in the room as specified in her IEP but the para is not just for her. Kids without IEPs do benefit from having the para there. It sounds as though your son falls in this category of benefitting from a para who is there because the need is specified for another child. I'm not saying there's something wrong with the para helping your son. I'm saying that right now the school has no obligation to provide a para because it's not documented in his IEP that one be there to help him.

There's a difference between learning to socialize and learning social language. Our school does not teach DD12 to socialize; they teach her pragmatic language, reading body language and facial expressions, idioms and other forms of social language since she has tested as having a deficiency in this area as part of her Asperger Syndrome. The school gets to determine the method of teaching this and she has very specific goals written into her IEP for this. If she's not meeting her goals then the school has to re-evaluate the method being used. I also signed her up for Girl Scouts outside of school to provide additional opportunities for socialization though she actually has become friends with some of the kids that she met through her pull-out group speech and pull-out group counsellor sessions. It is my responsibility to provide additional social opportunities. It's the school's responsibility to teach her HOW to interact. This is all part of the language deficiencies associated with her Asperger Syndrome. We don't refer to this as social deficits when discussing her needs; we discuss her language deficits. She tests at 98th percentile for reading comprehension and has a vocabulary of a high school graduate (that's as far as the tests go; she periodically uses words that her teachers don't even understand because she has such an extensive vocabulary and takes pride in expanding it) but the Speech & Language Pathologists and Guidance Counsellors and Psychologists do recognize that she has a language deficit when it comes to all areas of pragmatic language. They are very much independent of each other. I know this may sound like nitpicking, but the terms used are VERY important. The school is right that you are responsible for providing social opportunities. The school is responsible for teaching pragmatic language which is something you haven't mentioned. Using this term will get you a LOT farther with the school.

Rather than focussing on the need for a para in the afternoon, focus on his need for structure. Personally I'd be annoyed with an elementary school class that doesn't have much structure for the entire afternoon. Very few children thrive in this kind of environment and a child on the spectrum will do even worse. Something as simple as a plan for what he'll work on for specified times during this unstructured part of the day should help him a lot. If we're talking about say a 2 hour period, his time could be structured into something like 30 minutes of reading, 5 minute sensory break, 20 minutes of homework, 5 minute sensory break, 30 minutes of artwork, 5 minute sensory break, 20 minutes of homework, 5 minutes to wrap up what he's doing and pack his bag (I'm totally making up an itinerary because I don't know what's worked on in this time but I'm trying to illustrate an example of something that could be tried). Have this schedule taped to his desk with times. Maybe he could even have something like a small personal digital clock for his desk or he could wear a digital watch so he can see when it's time to transition. The unstructured nature of the afternoon is more likely the cause of his problems; not the lack of a para (though I do believe a para in the classroom even if it's not just for him would be helpful; the teacher wouldn't have time to dedicate to ensuring these transitions but a para could guide him through the transitions). You might also want to explain this to the school as a problem of executive function. He doesn't know how to divide his time or manage his time. It's overwhelming. He needs somebody to break it down for him right now and he could also use goals in his IEP for learning these executive functioning skills. This is another term that you want to use with the school. Learning their language will help you a LOT.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #27
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

The newest jarg'n is "social communication deficits" which is actually a pretty good and clincally accurate definition the put the oversight in the SLP's area of resonsibility (which is great if you can find one that is trained in this area).
Old 01-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #28
DVCisME
DIS Veteran

My son did not qualify for speech. I did argue that his pragmatic levels were lower. The psychologist also recommended that he receive speech for this reason.
I also spoke of my son having a processing problem that required constant reminding as cited by the teachers. I did not call it executive functioning, but I believe we are talking abouty the same thing and will take note of it.
My son has an inclusion class on his IEP. I was not aware that the inclusion part stopped at 11. Should this have different wording in his IEP?
I do bring my son to boy scouts, though it is hectic (all the packs meet at once and spead throughout a firehouse). He is in CCD and I try to have playdates. That being said, on most days he is done after school.
I thought the school should be applying what they teach my son. If they are trying to get him to understand social situations it would be best applied to his peers. Am I wrong in asking for this? Do most schools not handle it like this? I am also getting a lot of feedback that he is just smarter than the kids so not to worry about it. Explained as, when Jacob is talking about x, Jimmy is standing there picking his nose. I am worried about it. He should be able to carry on a conversation with another 6 year old, to some extent.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #29
DVCisME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormde View Post
The newest jarg'n is "social communication deficits" which is actually a pretty good and clincally accurate definition the put the oversight in the SLP's area of resonsibility (which is great if you can find one that is trained in this area).
What is SPL?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #30
GraceLuvsWDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCisME View Post
What is SPL?
I think it's Speech and Language Pathologist
WDW Pop Mar 2010 * WDW POFQ June 2010 * DLR Aug 2010
WDW WL & WBC June 2011 * DLR Dec 2011
WDW WBC June 2012