Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
sfdave65
Earning My Ears

Holding hands in the parks?

I was wondering. I'm planning a vacation with the bf, but we are not doing the gay days thing. How comfortable is it to be able to hold hands like other couples do? We're not going to be making out all over the place. Maybe a quick peck now and then. Has anyone experienced any uncomfortableness?
sfdave65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdave65 View Post
I was wondering. I'm planning a vacation with the bf, but we are not doing the gay days thing. How comfortable is it to be able to hold hands like other couples do? We're not going to be making out all over the place. Maybe a quick peck now and then. Has anyone experienced any uncomfortableness?
Honestly, I haven't even noticed gay couples in the park. Either they're very nonchalant about it, like most hetero couples are, or they're not doing it.

I'd say treat it like everyday life. If you wouldn't be comfortable holding hand walking through the mall or down the street, you probably wouldn't be comfortable doing it at Disney. Most people don't mind; those who do would be like those in your town that have a problem with you.

I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
sfdave65
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean1899 View Post
Honestly, I haven't even noticed gay couples in the park. Either they're very nonchalant about it, like most hetero couples are, or they're not doing it.

I'd say treat it like everyday life. If you wouldn't be comfortable holding hand walking through the mall or down the street, you probably wouldn't be comfortable doing it at Disney. Most people don't mind; those who do would be like those in your town that have a problem with you.
Thanks
sfdave65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
SugarQuill
Earning My Ears

My dgf and I are planning on holding hands, I don't think anyone will really notice or comment. I'd consider disney to be a safe space since so many cast members are family.

Go and enjoy yourselves and know that if anyone does raise a stink that CMs will be there to assist you.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:27 AM   #5
crazydaisy00
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you underastand?

Doesn't bother my family at all. Enjoy your vacation

May 2008 1st trip Pop Century / Dec 2008 Saratoga Springs / May 2009 Pop Century / May 2010 Coronado Springs / Oct 2010 All-Star Movies Dec 2014 Arts of Animation
crazydaisy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:35 AM   #6
Easygoingeezer
Earning My Ears

Respect if you do hold hands, I am still a bit nervous about it ( reserved Brit lol ).
Have a lovely time.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
BellsFam
Mouseketeer

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry that you even have to ask this question...

There is always someone, somewhere who will judge something.

I hope you have a great vacation...and not let people who would otherwise have an issue with it, stand in your way...
*WDW Polynesian Concierge 05/2003 ~ *Universal Studios Wyndham Orlando Resort 06/2004 ~ *Honeymoon Grand Velas, Puerto Vallarta 09/2006 ~ *Western Caribbean Cruise, Carnival 05/2007 ~ *Nothing for a few years ~ *WDW Swan 09/2012 ~ *WDW Lake Buena Vista Resort 05/2013 ~
BellsFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

I've walked down Main Street holding a female and male friends (both platonic) hand as well as on a date. Didn't get any different reaction between the occurrences.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
Kristina4109
Saying which Disney destination is better is like asking a Mom which kid she loves the most

I have seen gay couples holding hands at WDW and no one seemed to even notice. Same thing with DL. I wouldn't worry!

I'm straight but not narrow (minded)!
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Kristina4109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

I agree that it is sad that you feel you have to ask this question.

I think anything that's acceptable for a straight couple is acceptable for a gay couple too. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable seeing a man and a woman holding hands or having a quick peck, why should it be any different for a gay couple

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 RunDisney Half DLR PTR - 2016 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
I agree that it is sad that you feel you have to ask this question.

I think anything that's acceptable for a straight couple is acceptable for a gay couple too. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable seeing a man and a woman holding hands or having a quick peck, why should it be any different for a gay couple
This. I have been in line at both WDW--Soarin' and Universal-- Poseidon's Fury behind couples who have been attempting to remove each other's tonsils with their tongues, along with some pretty serious butt rubbing to go along with. Seriously, not something I need to witness while "trapped" in the confines of a line. I didn't mention whether the couples were gay or straight because it doesn't matter. Inappropriate is inappropriate.

So, hold hands, have your quick kiss, otherwise, Get a room!
Old 04-25-2014, 02:03 AM   #12
Skip3key
Earning My Ears

My gf and I have been many times, sometimes hold hands, sometimes don't... Just like everyone else... And last time we wore "just engaged" buttons and received only positive comments from cast and other guests... Was absolutely great... Never a negative. Be yourself... Be respectful and have a great time. We are actually having a disney wedding in October!
WDW Wilderness Lodge December 2012
Became DVC members 2012 after trip!
Epcot Food and Wine/ Boardwalk Villas Oct 2013
Planning Session for wedding Boardwalk Villas May 2014
Animal Kingdom Lodge- Wishes Wedding October 2014- Rehearsal Dinner Italy Isola, Ceremony Germany, Reception California Grill

Skip3key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
amberg93
DIS Veteran

My DW and I hold hands all the time and we've never even gotten so much as a second look. We also sometimes steal quick pecks and while it makes her nervous ("What if there are parents who don't want their kids to see?" She always asks), we've never had a single negative reaction at all.

Don't let other people bring you down, especially not when you're at Disney! If someone has a problem with it, it's on them not on you.
May 2014 - All Star Sports PTR "I bet they get Charmin" Girls Trip **In progress**
September 2014 - All Star Movies + Port Orleans French Quarter "A for effort, C for execution." MNSSHP + F&W *In progress*
amberg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
ginalmarie
Street Rat

I doubt anyone will draw any attention towards you guys as a couple. When my girlfriend and I went, some Disney photographers insisted that we kiss, hug, and hold a baby (they would later add simba into my arms). Everyone seems to be very inclusive, so I wouldn't worry about it.
ginalmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #15
Lesley M
Earning My Ears

We held hands from time to time and even stole a kiss here and there. No one seemed to care if they even noticed. As was mentioned before, a couple displaying joy and love is normal and acceptable to most, but there is a time and a place for everything.
Lesley M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: