Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

Do you hold hands?

Do you hold hands with your partner when you are out in public and/or at Disney? We live in the SF Bay Area (very liberal) and even so, there are times when I feel nervous about holding my partner's hand.
We call each other "honey" and "sweetie" more often than we use each other's real names (ya I know..we're so mushy, even after 5 years ) and sometimes I've slipped in public and called her "hon". We get some strange looks on occasion.
We did hold hands and show affection on our last vacation to Disney, but I was always very aware that we were most certainly in the minority.

DVC owners at AKV, VGC & Aulani
Iggipolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
LJC1861
DIS Veteran
Suffers from a Tag Fairy Complex

Lisa and I hold hands alot. When we lived in NYC..in the West Village...we held hands everywhere. In other parts of the city we did use a bit of caution. Here in Asheville it is a bit different in that we don't walk everywhere. When there is nobody else around we do hold hands, and there are times when we just don't care, but if we feel that we are getting looks, or that it just isn't safe at that particular time we don't.

At WDW it is pretty much the same. We do hold hands, but if we feel that we are being stared at we don't.

As for names.....at my job in NYC, nobody knew Lisa's real name. Everybody called her "Sweetie" because that is what I usually call her. We tend to only use our real names when it is an emergency or we are fussin' at one another.

Linda
LJC1861 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #3
RickinNYC
DIS Veteran

Neither of us are big hand holders but sure, we do but rarely. And we do so with full knowledge and awareness of where we are. But, regardless of where we are, I still have a tendency of doing the hand on the back or on the shoulder thing.
RickinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
polarboi
Earning My Ears

Cool

Oh, I so love that you started this topic.

A previous boyfriend and I had some lonnng conversations about this one. I wanted to take him to my favorite place on earth, and he'd never been. And during the course of those discussions, he asked if I would hold his hand while we walked around the parks.

To be honest, hand-holding in public has never been a big thing for me in the first place. Even if I were straight, I doubt I would do it. I relate to what Rick said about a hand on the back or shoulder; I'm much more likely to show physical affection in public in those sorts of ways rather than holding hands.

When it comes to Disney... well... it feels even weirder to me. My job involves dealing with conservative Christian sentiments about gay issues, so I'm painfully aware of how strong some people's anti-gay bias is. Now, I don't feel that I need to apologize for myself or my relationships, and I think their bias does need to be confronted - that's what I do for a living. But I don't really feel like a Disney vacation is the right place, and I want even the homophobes and bigots to be able to enjoy their vacations with their kids, you know? So I wasn't really comfortable holding hands while walking through the parks, although my boyfriend at the time was.

We ended up breaking up before the trip, though, and just went as friends. So it wasn't an issue.

On my most recent trip, though, I noticed a gay couple holding hands, and it made me smile. I was glad they were doing it... it just wasn't for me.

-p.b.
polarboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:52 AM   #5
Elevationist
DIS Veteran

On my our last trip to the World about a year ago, my girlfriend (now fiance!) really pressured me for physical affection while we were out and about. I was really uptight about hand-holding the first day, because as a few said above, it just felt strange being in such a minority.

That first night, though, on the busses back to the All-Stars... There was a young lesbian couple sitting on the bench across from us. We didn't talk much, but I noticed them holding hands, and one girl cuddled up to her partner sleepily after the long day at Magic Kingdom. It made me so very happy, and reminded me to be proud. So my lady and I stayed finger-locked for the rest of the trip! LOL

December 4-12, 2015 Port Orleans French Quarter

- December 2009, Coronado Springs - February 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge - January 2005, All-Star Music - January 2002, Offsite
- July 2000, Offsite - January 2000, Offsite - April 1998, All-Star Sports - May 1986, Offsite
Elevationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:36 AM   #6
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

We've never been much for holding hands, so its not something we really do anywhere. We've never been very big on showing public affection, be that in a mixed venue or a gay venue. This past New Year's Eve we went down to WDW and after dinner we went to the Boardwalk area to hang out. We did have our arms around each other and kissed at midnight. But for us, that was a rare display.

Last edited by iankh; 01-20-2006 at 05:56 PM.
iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #7
Viki
Mid-town Manhattan, anyone?

We're spontaneously physcially affectionate and I always call her hon, but we're not so big on hand holding. On the other hand, I might give her a spontaneous peck, even on the lips. Like some others have said, however, I love it when I see (mostly) young girl/girl couples treat the whole situation much more naturally.

That said, however (how many hands do I have?), I do recall that when we were at Dorney Park's Wildwater Kingdom last year, there was one young lesbian couple that was laying right on top of each other. Yuck. I don't need that from anyone. It was very interesting, however, to watch the faces of everyone around them when they figured it out. Young boys, in the adolescent range of 9-12, seemed to get the biggest kick of it, responding with peek a boos and giggles.
Viki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:43 AM   #8
PlutoEpcot
You could only get that pin for 1 day
I hope other people just think that our offers are good too

Even thought I have no experience with this topic I strongy suggest that u do hold hands with your partner. If u feel so strongy about your partner than hold hands. People now a days are a lot more accecpting of gay and lesbian couples and I put them equal to straight people. Also now a days more and more people are bisexual or gay and I am totally fine with that. A lot of other people are fine with that too. I hope u have the courage to hold hands more often in public. ~Teddy~

2270/2250

550/1500
PlutoEpcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #9
Elevationist
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viki
I do recall that when we were at Dorney Park's Wildwater Kingdom last year, there was one young lesbian couple that was laying right on top of each other. Yuck. I don't need that from anyone.
I kind of had to explain this to my girlfriend on the previously mentioned trip. When we were in the swimming pool at night, she kept wanting to wrap her arms around me and give me long lingering kisses on the lips. Once at the Living Seas, she pounced on me and started to practically make-out with me (which was kinda weird, since at home and in our normal lives, my girlfriend isn't over-affectionate at all... I guess she was just that happy and in love!), and I jumped back and said, "WHOA! Okay, no!" so fast that she really got her feelings hurt. I was flattered by the show of affection, but felt horrible for pulling away like that.

I explained to her that it had nothing to do with her personally, or even with us being lesbians... Just that I know if I was trying to enjoy the Living Seas or the resort swimming pool and saw a couple all over each other, gay or straight, I would be kinda grossed out and really put-off by it. Once I explained it, she totally understood. After talking, apparently she had been hoping for more romance during the trip but instead we were mostly just having crazy fun.

So I've promised her that our upcoming Valentine's trip, we will try to incorporate more romance and sweetness into our short little trip.

- December 2009, Coronado Springs - February 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge - January 2005, All-Star Music - January 2002, Offsite
- July 2000, Offsite - January 2000, Offsite - April 1998, All-Star Sports - May 1986, Offsite
Old 01-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
Wolfen-Sensei
They call me...Jacques Cartier, founder of the ST. Lawrence River.

If you and your partner love each other. It shouldn't matter what other people think. If you want to hold hands, hold hands. As long as it won't put you in any sort of dangerous situation. The homophobes will just have to deal with it. You shouldn't show any less affection towards your partner just to please them.

-Wolfen
MegadudeTH: SOUL.
MegadudeTH: CALIBURRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ChibiokamiDDR: I was Mr.T at one point...

"Hey noobs, I'm going to like totally like pwn you noobs
Cause I pwn you, like I pwn you like pretty hard and stuff right
I'm going to give you some spanks
Just like you're like Kyle and you suck *** at all the games you try to play
Cause I pwn you, I pwn you like pretty hard and stuff right.
Pwn you.. I pwn you like you're somebody's mom trying to play the game.
I pwn you.
I will pwn you.. sometime.. maybe when we play the game."
Wolfen-Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
aunts2topher
Earning My Ears

Not big on holding hands, we're much more likely to touch each other's back or shoulder -- no matter where we are. That's just us. We do "honey" a lot though ("Honey, did you see this?") and while it has resulted in a few double-takes (that I've noticed) I don't worry about it. If anyone has a problem with who I'm with, that is THEIR problem -- that is the way I live my life.

We were at WDW for Valentine's Day last year -- have a great time!!!

Ali

WDW
Mar 2006 and Feb 2005 (PCR)
May 2004 (BWV, family trip)

DCL
Oct 2006 (Costa Maya for our honeymoon!)

aunts2topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #12
Elevationist
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunts2topher
We were at WDW for Valentine's Day last year -- have a great time!!!

Ali
Oh, really?! How was it? I usually try to go the first week of January (which is wonderful!), so I'm not quite sure what to expect regarding mid-February. I hate that it's the week leading up to President's Day, but that was when my partner scheduled her vacation from work so that we could go for Valentine's, obviously. I guess what I'm trying to ask is... How are the crowds? I know that Pres. Day weekend if the beginning of Peak season for the resorts, and I'm accustomed to going when it's really slow. We've only got 4 days, so we're trying to cram as much in as we possibly can! LOL

Old 01-20-2006, 10:45 PM   #13
icebrat001
Foot flusher
Thinks Taco Bell isn't REAL mexican food
Tricks people into wrapping their own presents

We are big hand holders but we don't hold hands often in our city or surrounding cities, as both of us teach and we don't want to be "outed" to the parents or the kids.

We will hold hand in other cities or area's where we feel safe. We don't hold hands at Disneyland or Marine World or Great America though, SO feels that some families may not have explained same sex relationships to their children and doesn't think she should have to learn it because they saw us holding hands.

Dec 2004 - 7 night Southern Caribbean Cruise - Princess
Dec 2005 -10 night Mexican Rivera Cruise - Princess
Dec 2007 - 10 night Panama Canal Cruise - Princess (1st family vacation)
icebrat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:42 AM   #14
T&KHayes
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't say that we are attached at the hands, or any other body part....but I am definately very affectionate. Our youngest is very affectionate too, so a lot of the time that we were at WDW we were holding his hands. But we did kiss (peck, not make out) and rub backs while walking in lines or just browsing. I am not self concious about who I am or we are and could really care less. I am more the type of person where if someone is staring at me, I stare back . I also feel that the more comfortable you are in your skin, the more comfortable others will be around you. Plus life is too short to worry about what others think about you, if they want you to know I am sure they will tell you!

Kim & Tiff DD14 Jessica DS7 Bubba

T&KHayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #15
nordkin
DIS Veteran

We do not tend to hold hands anywhere. We are more the gentle touch on the back types. We do use endearing terms when we talk to each other and have never noticed any unapproving looks, but then I really haven't tried to notice. We know our feelings for one another and do not feel we have to announce it to the world through public displays of affection. Neither of us likes to see public displays whether it be straight or gay.
nordkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: