Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #91
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Saw the survivor logo and finally had time to click.

All caught up.

Castle with the crane huh. I have never been so lucky.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Old 01-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #92
jenbear123
Disney Fanatic

Have room for one more? That's great news about the trip! How exciting! Sure beats sticking around in the snow.
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #93
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Saw the survivor logo and finally had time to click.

All caught up.

Castle with the crane huh. I have never been so lucky.
Hi Pat, thanks for clickin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbear123 View Post
Have room for one more? That's great news about the trip! How exciting! Sure beats sticking around in the snow.
Yay, Jen's here! Wait, is this your first post? I thought you'd already been over. I'm SO ready to leave this snow behind. We've got about 12 inches on the ground and more expected tonight. These kids NEED to go back to school!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #94
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Episode 5: "There's Six of Us"

When I last left off, we were riding the TTA when I looked down and noticed no wait at Space Mountain.

I so want my girls to man up and ride some rollercoaster with me. I asked if they were ready. Um, nope. Nada. Not gonna happen. Well, at least not today. When I ask them if they will ride say, Space Mountain, or even Big Thunder, when were are in the safety of our home 1000 miles from said ride, they always tell me, with complete nonchalance, that yes, they'll probably ride it this year. The tune always changes when we get within walking distance of it. Oh well, maybe another day - the trip has just begun after all.

Scott took the girls on Buzz Lightyear (also no wait) while Nana, Papa, and I rode Space. Then we met them for another spin on Buzz.

My attempt at a redneck photo:

I can't ever seem to get these exposed right. What's the trick? I guess I'm just not enough of a redneck

Next we headed over to Carousel of Progress. With the luck we were having with wait times, we probably should have raced across the park to hit some other headliners, but I just can't get into that commando mentality. Not anymore. My first few trips - without a doubt!

Next we made our way past the Speedway (which we pretended wasn't there. Don't love that ride) towards Fantasyland. I'm not loving all these construction walls! We grabbed a set of fastpasses for Peter Pan and then asked the girls what they wanted to do. The verdict? Cinderella's Carousel (or whatever they're intending to call it now. I don't like change. I refused to call the Peoplemover the TTA for years. Of course, now that they've added Peoplemover back to the name, I'm stuck on TTA).

Its interesting that my girls, now at age 7 and 10, still pick the most mild of rides to do first. I guess they are easily amused. At least they didn't ask for Dumbo. After the Carousel, we rode Snow White and saw Philharmagic - no wait for either. For me, Philharmagic is still one of the best attractions anywhere on property. It just puts the biggest smile on my face. Somewhere in there we stopped for a picture with Peter Pan & Wendy.

They insisted on taking one with us grownups. We gave in.

Poor Scott. He's not very good with a camera. I'm not sure why he framed the shot like that, cutting off half our bodies. I think Peter's saying, "Why you do us like that?" Oh well. He was next:

We used our fastpasses for Peter Pan next, and then headed towards Columbia Harbor House for a bite to eat.

I'm not sure what time it was, but I know we didn't want to stuff ourselves since we had a dinner at Ohana coming up. We ended up splitting 3 meals between the 6 of us. And with the desserts, it was just enough and I'm glad we did it that way. Man I love those tuna sandwhiches!

Haunted Mansion was the next logical stop, being right outside the door to CHH, and it only showed a 5 minute wait so we got in line.

The line did move very quickly and we were ushered right into the stretching room. However once the stretching room door open, it seemed to be SO crowded as we moved towards the Doombuggies. We were packed in like sardines and had to keep a strong grip on each other to avoid getting separated. I wonder if they were using more than stretching room? Not sure how that would work. I'd like to see a floor plan. Or maybe I wouldn't - I guess I kinda prefer the illusion. We got stuck for about 10 minutes. My parents shot this while they were stalled:

We decided it would be a good time to cool off at Splash Mountain so we headed in that direction.

Splash had a 20 minute wait, so we got in line. As we wound our way through the shady queue, I realized this was the first time we'd ever rode standby on this. I love the lanterns hanging from the trees in the courtyard. Unfortunately, the 20 minutes in line gave Jenna (yes, the 10 year old) time to get all worked up. She's ridden Splash several times, but she has yet to... shall we say, gain an appreciation for it. The girl does not like drops. Or hills. Or speed. She's not a risk taker, that girl. Well, she was fine once the ride was over, but I looked over at Lucy and could see she was all shaken up. Poor thing. And she's my brave one!

We attempted to dry ourselves off a bit in the bathroom. I don't know why we did this. Surely we would have dried in the sun? But you know, it really wasn't that hot. In fact - it was actually VERY nice weather all week. We've been this same week in September like 5 times and never had weather like this. Usually its in the low 90's, with mega-humidity and some afternoon thunderstorms thrown in for kicks and grins. I'd say this time, we were in the 80's all week. The humidity seemed much lower than usual - and best of all - NO rain! It was like we were being reimbursed for the week of horrible weather we'd had at WDW in May the previous year.

I suggested a quick zip on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I mean, we were RIGHT there, and there was only a 5 minute wait! This did not fly with the little chickadees. Maybe if I'd suggested it pre-Splash. Instead, they wanted to go to Tom Sawyer Island. We compromised. Scott & Nana would take the girls over to the island. Papa & I would ride Big Thunder and then meet them over there.

We had a blast barreling through the wild west, I even captured us on my cell phone:

There was a large crowd forming in the sheltered queue for the ferry to Tom Sawyer Island. We saw one boat go and come back empty except for a couple CMs. Then another CM with a gurney came through the crowds down to the dock. We watched as they took the gurney over and came back with a woman strapped to it. As we were watching we struck up a conversation with an older woman waiting by herself. She said her husband was over there and had called her to tell her he wouldn't be back for a while. Apparently, the woman had tripped and fallen and had cut her face. Supposedly there was a lot of blood. But there would be, facial cut and all. I'm not sure how badly she was hurt, it could be the gurney was just a precaution. Anyhow, by the time they resumed normal operation of the ferries, our crew was headed back to meet us.

We continued our circuit around to Adventurland, stopping for ice water from the McDonalds cart first. Pirates had no wait, so of course we hopped on. Now I don't know about you all, but when I'm in this part of the world, I HAVE to have some tropical refreshment. You know what I'm talking about - DOLEWHIP!!!!

From here we decided to take a cruise through the jungle. As we approached the standby queue, my mom told the CM standing there, "There's 6 of us." Um, okay. He just nodded and ushered us into the line. We just shook our heads and laughed at her. She tends to do things like this a lot. I don't even know how to explain why it was funny. She's just always saying something extraneous or inappropriate to someone. Happens with waitstaff at restaurants all the time. Gets a little embarassing. Anyway, I told her that he doesn't care how many we have, they'll ask us at the front. So, from then on, "There's 6 of us" became the catch phrase for the trip. Scott, my dad and I said it to EVERYONE, whether they needed to know or not. Luckily my mom is a good sport (that, and she is so very use to being made fun of by her horrid family)

At this point, it was time to head out. We had an appointment to devour mass quantities of meat. OHANA! We took the boat over to the Polynesian.

It was while we were on the boat that Jenna realized she'd lost her sunglasses. She thought she'd handed them to Nana at one point but no one could find them anywhere. I had just gotten her these at Justice, and they were really cute. She was inconsolable, even though I told her I'd get her a new pair.

We checked in at Ohana and were given a pager. While we waited (it would be about a 20 minute wait) we browsed the gift shop. Jenna ended up finding a pair of sunglasses she sort of liked, and Nana insisted on buying them. I found some cute halloween merchandise, but I decided to hold off for now.

We were seated at a great table in front of the window with a view of the castle. However, this was a pretty early dinner - we wouldn't be around when they did the fireworks. Still, it was a nice spot.

Our server was from St.Louis! That's the second time we've had that happen. The first was in 2009 at 50's Prime Time. That server wasn't only from St.Louis, she was even from our particular suburb!

Of course, the food was fabulous. Its so hard not to gorge yourself silly here. So we didn't even try. The girls love the potstickers. The only thing I wish they'd change is to bring back the Maui Scalloped Potatoes. I do miss those.

There were no coconut races while we were there, but Ukulele Lady did come out and lead the kids in a Limbo parade and give out leis.

We rolled ourselves back out to the boat dock to hitch a ride back to Magic Kingdom. We didn't enter the park as they were starting the Halloween party. We'd be attending that another night. For us, it was back to CBR to enjoy some pool and hot tub time.

Up Next: The Storm of the Century and Planning News

Last edited by Sleepingbooty; 02-02-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #95
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

What a wonderful day at the MK! Those September non-crowds sound sooo tempting!

You know, there is still hope for your daughters. I was so frightened of rides, even as a teenager I would ride only fairly basic coasters, but now I think I would go on nearly every ride... I even went on a real free fall tower ride once and that was much worse than a coaster for me!

I love your catch phrase of the trip! I am sure CMs are so used to being told so many strange things that "There's six of us" really does ot seem very outlandish to them at all.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 01-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #96
Sleeping Jilly
Mouseketeer

I'm so happy you started your tr, I followes along in your ptr. We were there the same week it was beautiful weather! I love your survivor theme it's my all time favorite show. I love all your pics and updates so far!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #97
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

WOW, you had some awesome touring luck with lines and (no) waits!

yes! the tuna sandwiches are so yummy there! So large and filling and tasty, and perfectly positioned to hit up HM afterwards.

I think your girls will come around. Maybe showing them the other kids getting off might help? OR you could just resort to bribery like Glenn and Marc to.

'Ohana---- what can I say?? Such fond and wonderful memories from here; and it wasn't just the meat.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #98
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Whoo hoo, a nice day at MK.

Oh, you look plenty redneck to take a redneck photo. First, you've gotta get closer. I'm trying to remember what I do...I think I put the camera on the Time-value setting, meaning that the shutter speed has priority, and I set it at 1/60th of a second.

A lot of people have said that the tuna sandwich at CHH is really good. I'll have to try it someday. Must be full of lots of luscious fat.

Scott took a nice picture of that window that you and Peter Pan and Wendy were blocking. He he he.

"There's 6 of us" Oh, the teasing would have been relentless if I'd have been around too. Good thing your mom's a good sport!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
I think your girls will come around. Maybe showing them the other kids getting off might help? OR you could just resort to bribery like Glenn and Marc to.
I heard that.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #99
TeaForTulips
DIS Veteran

Catching up!

I love the the pic of the girls showing their muscles The joke with your mom is adorable. It reminds me of the silly things my family does also. If a lost pair of sunglasses is the worst thing all day what more could you ask for. Great posts!

How exciting for your trip! That is coming up quick! I will be handing out water at the princess marathon. The company I work for has a water stand and I jumped to volunteer!

Tarah (That's me!) Jen Mary Marmee Bobo Trista Mario Pierce Hallise Pollyanna Tucker
Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #100
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
What a wonderful day at the MK! Those September non-crowds sound sooo tempting!
September is hard to beat!

Quote:
You know, there is still hope for your daughters. I was so frightened of rides, even as a teenager I would ride only fairly basic coasters, but now I think I would go on nearly every ride... I even went on a real free fall tower ride once and that was much worse than a coaster for me!
That's good to hear. I went on Space Mountain at Disneyland with my dad when I was three (they must have had different vehicles with a lower height requirement!) so I've always been thrill junkie.

Quote:
I love your catch phrase of the trip! I am sure CMs are so used to being told so many strange things that "There's six of us" really does ot seem very outlandish to them at all.
We had fun with it, that's for sure!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #101
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Jilly View Post
I'm so happy you started your tr, I followes along in your ptr. We were there the same week it was beautiful weather! I love your survivor theme it's my all time favorite show. I love all your pics and updates so far!!!
Welcome! Thanks for comin' over! It was a beautiful week, wasn't it? We really lucked out!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #102
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
WOW, you had some awesome touring luck with lines and (no) waits!
I know! This day was given a crowd rating estimate of a "1" and I think they were right on.

Quote:
yes! the tuna sandwiches are so yummy there! So large and filling and tasty, and perfectly positioned to hit up HM afterwards.
Oh, they are SO good. I think its the bread.

Quote:

Oh believe me, I've tried!!!! I'm SO not above bribes!

Quote:
'Ohana---- what can I say?? Such fond and wonderful memories from here; and it wasn't just the meat.
Ohana rocks!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #103
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Whoo hoo, a nice day at MK.

Oh, you look plenty redneck to take a redneck photo. First, you've gotta get closer. I'm trying to remember what I do...I think I put the camera on the Time-value setting, meaning that the shutter speed has priority, and I set it at 1/60th of a second.
Obviously I'm enough of a redneck to try for it, right?! I'll try 1/60th next time. I was trying to get it fast before it disappeared and I left the flash on, I think.

Quote:
A lot of people have said that the tuna sandwich at CHH is really good. I'll have to try it someday. Must be full of lots of luscious fat.
No low-fat mayo there, no siree

Quote:
Scott took a nice picture of that window that you and Peter Pan and Wendy were blocking. He he he.
Oh, see I didn't know that's what he was going for. I guess we should have moved out of the way!

Quote:
"There's 6 of us" Oh, the teasing would have been relentless if I'd have been around too. Good thing your mom's a good sport!
We got a LOT of mileage out of it. In fact, we're still using it!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #104
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaForTulips View Post
Catching up!

I love the the pic of the girls showing their muscles The joke with your mom is adorable. It reminds me of the silly things my family does also. If a lost pair of sunglasses is the worst thing all day what more could you ask for. Great posts!

How exciting for your trip! That is coming up quick! I will be handing out water at the princess marathon. The company I work for has a water stand and I jumped to volunteer!
Welcome Tara, Glad to have you here!

We are a silly family!

How awesome that you are getting to volunteer for the run - I take it you work in Orlando? Or are they sending you there? It's going to be a rockin' weekend!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #105
TeaForTulips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingbooty View Post
Welcome Tara, Glad to have you here!

We are a silly family!

How awesome that you are getting to volunteer for the run - I take it you work in Orlando? Or are they sending you there? It's going to be a rockin' weekend!
I live outside Orlando in a little town about 30 minutes from the Mouse I've never been to the world for any marathons. I think it'll be so much fun!

Tarah (That's me!) Jen Mary Marmee Bobo Trista Mario Pierce Hallise Pollyanna Tucker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: