Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #31
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
I think Jordan and Zzub will alwas be the TR kings, even In Absentia. But thanks for the welcome ! Seeing a lot of familiar faces here. Followed you over from Glenn.
Don't sell yourself short! I do miss Jordan, but I never knew Zzub. I've heard you and others mention him, but I don't think I've ever seen a thread by him. You have any links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Hi Rebecca!! I love the start to your TR and am looking forward to read more about your trip.

And don't worry about a late start. I am moving with ours at a snail's pace so I am sure you will be able to finish way faster than me even though our trip was a year ago and I am still writing the TR!!
Hi Magdalene! Thanks for coming over! Actually, I'm glad yours (and some others I follow) hasn't moved too fast. That way, when life gets in the way and I get behind on the DIS, I don't miss too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3sonstt View Post
I'm following over from Glenn's also!

Loved Fantasy Island as a kid, wanted to get Season 1 for my middle son for Christmas (he loves old TV shows), but hubby didn't think Ryne would like it. Right now he's watching Charlie's Angels, Monk, MacGyver and Smallville, he's finished off the Dick VanDyke shows.
Glad to have ya! I haven't seen Fantasy Island in so many years, I wonder if it would hold up? Its not one of those that is played regularly on channels that feature oldies. Maybe I'll see if it's available on Netflix! Speaking of old shows, my husband got the first two seasons of The White Shadow for Christmas. Honestly, I'd never heard of it - but he is 10 years older than me He says it was his favorite as a kid.

Quote:
We've never done the Dining Plan, maybe if it were free would try it, but we bought in to DVC and it's not free if you are using points, plus with the convenience of a kitchen in our rooms we keep breakfast food and sandwich supplies on hand, so we would probably never use all of the dining credits.
Right, having a kitchen would definitely help defray food cost - I'd have to totally redo my DP calculations on that one. Do you always use points, or do you ever do any extra trips and stay at other resorts?

Quote:
How fun to travel with your parents.....we did it once about 13-14 years ago and haven't been able to convince them to go again. After we bought our DVC and I was talking about our next trip to my mom she asked me how much longer we "had" to keep going there. I told her we "get" to keep going until 2042 (or something like that) She just doesn't get the Disney love. I think Dad would like to go again sometime, but until she agrees to it he won't do it.
Honestly, its fun - but that much togetherness can be a little draining! So far, they've gone on 3 of our 7 Disney trips. Its nice to go on our own sometimes, too.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #32
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingbooty View Post
Glad to have ya! I haven't seen Fantasy Island in so many years, I wonder if it would hold up? Its not one of those that is played regularly on channels that feature oldies. Maybe I'll see if it's available on Netflix! Speaking of old shows, my husband got the first two seasons of The White Shadow for Christmas. Honestly, I'd never heard of it - but he is 10 years older than me He says it was his favorite as a kid.

Right, having a kitchen would definitely help defray food cost - I'd have to totally redo my DP calculations on that one. Do you always use points, or do you ever do any extra trips and stay at other resorts?

Honestly, its fun - but that much togetherness can be a little draining! So far, they've gone on 3 of our 7 Disney trips. Its nice to go on our own sometimes, too.
I saw fantasy island at walmart, don't know if it's on Netflix or not. I remember white shadow...sorta. I think it was a show about a basketball coach, and I can picture the main actor but can't come up with the name. But it wasn't a show I ever really watched. I am 44 and my husband just turned 57, so there are a lot of shows and movies that he used to watch that I've never heard of.

Since we bought DVC we haven't had a trip where we stayed at a nonDVC resort. In the beginning when we didn't have many points and weekend nights were a lot higher we might stay at a value or moderate for our first or last night. We have added on to our points so we are up to 510 now, and the points per night were restructured recently so the weekend nights aren't as significantly higher as they once were.

We took a couple trips with my folks when Sean was a baby, but they were nearby....long weekend kind of things. The Disney trip the boys were 3,5 & 7. We spent the first 3 days together -one day at each park. The rest of the trip we did our thing and they did theirs at our own paces occasionally meeting fora meal.

Organ Donors Save Lives www.lifegoeson.com RIP Bret 10-10-62 to 11-26-08
Thank you to the family who cared enough to share! (Kidney recipient 2/22/11)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #33
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Another Fantasy Island Fan here !!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 01-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #34
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The Disney trip the boys were 3,5 & 7. We spent the first 3 days together -one day at each park. The rest of the trip we did our thing and they did theirs at our own paces occasionally meeting fora meal.
That sounds perfect. Unfortunately, my folks would NOT go for that. They kinda want to be with us 24/7. We have fun, but I get a lot of practice with deep breathing
Old 01-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #35
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Another Fantasy Island Fan here !!!!
Wasn't it so fun?! Okay, I'm definitely putting that on my queue if I can find it on Netflix.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #36
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingbooty View Post
Wasn't it so fun?! Okay, I'm definitely putting that on my queue if I can find it on Netflix.
I always thought it was funny how the guest stars that would be on Love Boat one week would show up on Fantasy Island the next. Barbi Benton, Bill Bixby, Charo....
Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #37
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Hope I'm not too late to join the party.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 01-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #38
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I always thought it was funny how the guest stars that would be on Love Boat one week would show up on Fantasy Island the next. Barbi Benton, Bill Bixby, Charo....
The first "concert" I remember going to was Barbi Benton and Bobby Vinton...it was at either the State Fair or Heart of Illinois fair. Apparently my first concert was actually Sonny & Cher (also at the fair), but I don't remember that at all.

Organ Donors Save Lives www.lifegoeson.com RIP Bret 10-10-62 to 11-26-08
Thank you to the family who cared enough to share! (Kidney recipient 2/22/11)
Old 01-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #39
martinolichfamily
DIS Veteran

Just found your TR! I'm in!
March 2007: 1st family vacation (off site) ~ July 2009: Fort Wilderness Cabin ~ July 2010: POP Century w/DxDP ~ April 2011:POP Century w/DP (Our 10 yr Anniversary Trip) ~ July 2012:1st Disneyland Trip(Desert Palms) ~ January 2013: offsite (DH & I) ~ July 2013: SS & AKL:Kidani (Brayden's 1st WDW Trip! & 1st DVC Trip!)~ November 2013: SS Treehouse & BC ~March 2014: Bonnet Creek (offsite) ~ June 2014: OKW
Old 01-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #40
IdesOmarch
DIS Veteran

Love the Survivor theme Outplan U - R - 2 funny. I was a Fantasy Island fan and I totally agree with what you said. I watched some FI episodes recently though and they were a little disappointing from when I remembered watching them. I guess being younger they were just cooler when I was 12 or so than now. It seems at least to me, the premise behind Fantasy Island was fantastic, but a lot of the episodes just seemed to not live up to the potential. Great report so far.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #41
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
See, that's just it, its been so long I don't remember too many details. Just the general impression. LOVED the Love Boat too, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Hope I'm not too late to join the party.
Heck no! Thanks for coming over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinolichfamily View Post
Just found your TR! I'm in!
Yay! Glad you found me Heather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdesOmarch View Post
Love the Survivor theme Outplan U - R - 2 funny. I was a Fantasy Island fan and I totally agree with what you said. I watched some FI episodes recently though and they were a little disappointing from when I remembered watching them. I guess being younger they were just cooler when I was 12 or so than now. It seems at least to me, the premise behind Fantasy Island was fantastic, but a lot of the episodes just seemed to not live up to the potential. Great report so far.
Thanks, and

That's what I'm worried about - that it won't live up to my (vague) memories. I have added it to my Netflix Queue, but who knows when I'll get around to shipping it. I've had the same movie at home since June 17th!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #42
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Challenge #1: Getting There is Half the Fun!

My family leaves the trip planning up to me, for the most part. I attempt to involve them in the decision making (remember my PowerPoint, anyone) but I pretty much call the shots. And of course, take care of all the booking, etc.

So, no one was the wiser when I employed a little slight of hand to gain an extra day. The day Southwest opened booking for September, I was on top of it. Great fares were available.... but only arriving in the evening. Well, who wants to do that? You miss the whole first day! If we were to book our usual early morning flight, we'd be paying twice as much on that leg. Hmmm.... time for some fuzzy disney math!

My creative calculations told me that for the same price we'd pay for the desirable early morning flights, we could buy cheap flights the night before and add another night to our trip. Uh, that's a no brainer to me. Of course, I probably could have bought the cheap return flights and waited for the price on the departure flights I wanted to go down, but I've never been a big risk-taker. What really surprised me, was I did not get any resistance at all when I presented this option to the clan. I guess they trusted me

So, we added a night to our reservation. We'd now be arriving on Friday, September 17th at 10:15 (but it would feel like 9:15 to us, so not too bad). Hey wait, arriving at night like this, we'll miss our whole first day! Maybe we need to fly in on Thursday instead! You see how this could really snowball! Anyway, the really cool thing about adding a night was that we get extra meal credits!

Scott and my mom would both be working that day, so it was up to my dad and I too get everything ready to go. He came over about 3 in the afternoon and we loaded the suitcases up. To save on parking costs, all six of us were going to ride together to the airport in our Mountaineer. We fit what we could behind the third row seat and put the rest on the luggage rack.

Then we had what you might call a "Griswold Moment." I went to go back the car out of the garage and I hear a "Whoa whoa whoa!" I slammed on the brake and got out. I thought maybe one of the girls had come out of the house and gone behind the car - my heart was beating like crazy! It was only my dad standing there, shaking his head. If I'd gone another foot, we would have had a big problem. My dad, the genius, had not noticed that the suitcases stood higher up than the garage door when he put them up there! Of course, I hadn't either. Oops!

So, we unloaded them, backed the car out, and reloaded. Then he went home to wait for my mom to get home from work.

Scott got home about 3:30. He changed clothes and we did all those last minute things you do when you are leaving for a week. Thermostat, blinds, locks, pets, petsitter info, computer and tv power strips off.

My mom and dad were at our house by 4:15. They'd brought Subway sandwiches that we would eat at the airport for dinner. We were out of the house and on the road by 4:25 - 5 minutes ahead of schedule!

We parked in the $7/day lot (almost couldn't find a spot!) and boarded a shuttle to the airport. A quick and uneventful trip through check-in and security and we found our gate and sat down to eat our Subway. We were actually surprised that security was uneventful. Typically, my dad always gets "randomly" selected to be searched or questioned. He says its because of his swarthy good looks.

We boarded the plane about 6:30 and ended up with seats over the wing. I think Southwest is reserving more and more of its spots in line for its platinum members and those who are willing to fork over the $10pp/per leg to pre board. Even when I get on the website at EXACTLY 24 hours and 0 seconds before my flight to check in, I barely make it in to the back of the A group. Oh well, at least we got two rows together.

The flight was smooth. I had drugged myself up, so I didn't have any ear problems, which was a blessing. Before I fly, I take three sudafed and several sprays of Afrin. If I don't, I have such horrible sinus pressure it feels like my ears and face are going to explode. My doctor suggested the meds and it works really well! The "Earplanes" plugs did not, when I tried them on a previous flight.

We landed about 15 minutes early. This always reminds me of the bit Jerry Seinfeld does where he talks about the pilot coming on and saying, "we're going to make up some time in the air." We picked up our luggage ourselves (no DME luggage service after 10pm) and headed down to Magical Express.

I'd like to take this time to give a shout out to the Orlando International Airport. I love this place. I realized that a big part of could be that just being there means that I'm going to Disney (well, or coming home from Disney), but it really is a very nice airport. I love the fake monorail, the mosaics on the floor, the lovely atrium, the conversational groupings of rattan chairs a la Golden Girls on the Magical Express level. It is SO much nicer than the St.Louis airport.

Magical Express was practically deserted, and we joined the very short line. With almost no wait, we were led onto the bus.

We stopped at Pop Century first, and I got a little nostalgic for our 2009 trip when we stayed there. A little, but not too much, because we were headed for........ Caribbean Beach Resort!!

Of course at this time of night, the lobby was completely empty. I had checked us in online previously, so the check-in process was very quick. We had gotten our request - ground floor Jamaica, connecting rooms. Yay!

A lovely gentleman from bell services loaded our many bags into a van and drove us over to our room. He unloaded us and got a nice tip. Here's a bad picture of our building while we are waiting for him to stack all the suitcases on a dolly.

The room was lovely, and once again we lucked out with a corner room. Those extra windows do make it feel bigger.

By this time, it was midnight (11 to us), but we were excited to be there and not at all ready to hit the sack. We quickly changed into suits and headed for Old Port Royale. The pool looked beautiful at night.

We headed straight for the hot tub, surprised to find people there so late. We soaked our bones for a bit, but my eyes were really stinging because of the amount of chlorine. I hoped it wouldn't be like that the whole time, because I really enjoy hot tubbing after a long day at the park! We were back in our rooms and in bed by 1am. We did not set a wake up call for the morning. We figured that normally we wouldn't even be there until Saturday afternoon, so having Saturday morning there was bonus time. We'd get a good night sleep and a good breakfast and then head to......

Up Next: Episode 4: Magic Kingdom & Ohana, part 1

Last edited by Sleepingbooty; 01-16-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #43
martinolichfamily
DIS Veteran

Great update! CBR looks great..love the pool!

So funny about the luggage on top of the car!

Wonder where ya'll went the next day??!!
March 2007: 1st family vacation (off site) ~ July 2009: Fort Wilderness Cabin ~ July 2010: POP Century w/DxDP ~ April 2011:POP Century w/DP (Our 10 yr Anniversary Trip) ~ July 2012:1st Disneyland Trip(Desert Palms) ~ January 2013: offsite (DH & I) ~ July 2013: SS & AKL:Kidani (Brayden's 1st WDW Trip! & 1st DVC Trip!)~ November 2013: SS Treehouse & BC ~March 2014: Bonnet Creek (offsite) ~ June 2014: OKW
Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #44
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

I know, it was really ridiculous yet funny at the same time!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #45
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Great Update !!Especially the part about the sudafed !!!Judy suffers with her ears when flying and one time I told her to take a ssinus med and she did and said it worked , then we couldn't find it coming back!!So I am putting sudafed and afrin on my list of must haves !! Thanks !!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: