Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #136
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiPhnx View Post
Haha, what a surprising reaction from them! Poor Lucy thought you guys were leaving Disney already.

Woow, Seuss landing looks really cool!
It was! You would have loved it!

Quote:
I thought you were going to have them wear the other tops? I guess it turned out too hot to wore the blouses.
I actually never found the blouses. So I didn't end up with quite a schoolgirl look like I'd imagined, but I do think they look somewhat Scottish, right?

Quote:
Wow.....It must've been so hard to watch that going on with that family. The father probably learned his behaviour from the grandfather. It must've been even harder for your dad not to do anything. It breaks my heart to see abuse like that.
It was heartbreaking. Why take your child on a vacation and then treat her like that?

Quote:
Wow, a 10 min wait though, that's awesome!!

You guys got butterbeer next right???
You'll have to wait and see!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #137
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Karen! Glad you made it over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Yay!!!!! I'm all caught up!!

It's so fun reading your TR b/c I'm always thinking things like "oooh, what park was that with the ampitheatre? Kirkwood? Laumier?" AND, PLEASE...snowpocalypse?!?!? We got about what you guys did, since we're both right near the hwy 44 line where it seemed to go north of us and STL. Did you guys get more last night? After predicting FEET of snow last week, this time all I heard was maybe we would get a couple flurries and woke up to 2 inches! They can't seem to get it right!
You probably haven't been to this park, its a small park in Cottleville that was just built around the corner from our neighborhood.

So you guys didn't get much snow either? We did wake up to about 2 inches on Saturday morning also. I think more is coming tonight?

Quote:
Can't wait to hear more about HP! We are torn about it b/c it would really be pushing the budget to try and go, and I'm just not sure it's worth the money for a couple rides and some themed shops??
I hemmed and hawed. It ran us about $500 for the tickets for the four of us, towncar there and back, lunch at IoA and souvenirs (2 wands, 2 chocolate frogs, a couple small charms). We really only went for Harry Potter, but of course we did tour the rest of the park also. Ultimately, I rationalized it as research for work, since I did have a couple clients who were interested in going and I wanted to be able to give them first hand advice (hey, does that mean I can deduct the cost?)

Quote:
Can't wait to hear more about the Princess trip as well, I'm training to run it next year, Rey & I are going to try and go alone as well!
I am REALLY looking forward to this trip. Can not WAIT to get out of this midwest winter, if only for a few days!

That's awesome that you are in training. Its a great goal!
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #138
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
That would have made me sick to my stomach as well. But, you're right- intervening might have made a bad situation even more terrible! Glad you called security; I hope something sooner than later happens there to rescue her!

That was also NOT the reaction I was thinking would be. Hmmm....

I remember your dilemma with finding a good, affordable solution for a ride over there. glad the towncar worked out for you!
Yep, the towncar worked out great and the price was right.

It so hard to know what to do in those situations. You hate to judge based on 10 minutes observation, but we had to do something. Of course I was upset that we had to witness it and have it put a damper on our morning - and then you feel guilty for even thinking that!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #139
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I have to say I love the response of the girls to the news. I think they were probably both in shock.

I'm sorry your family had to deal with that very uncomfortable situation; you did the right thing by contacting secuirty about it.

I'm not a Harry Potter fan (our kids were much older when it came out and I just couldn't get into it), but it sounds as if the ride is really awesome...glad you enjoyed it.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #140
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

I do look back and laugh at their reactions now, but at the time it made me a bit sad. Of course, you build things up and of course you'll be disappointed.

The Harry Potter thing was so cool and authentic, I think you could really get into it even if you weren't a fan. But obviously not to make a special trip for it. In fact, I'd definitely avoid it for a while til the crowds die down.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #141
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Hi, Rebecca! I had no idea you started this! I'll have to go back and catch up to your updates, but I'm looking forward to reading!
ETA: Okay, just caught up! Great updates! That situation in the Forbidden Journey must have been hard to watch :-(. We're going to IOA/US for a day in August and can't wait! The themeing of WWoHP looks incredible!

Last edited by klacey1; 02-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #142
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Hi Kylie! Thanks for joining in! Yes, it was hard to watch. I want to go back and do the Forbidden Journey all over again to get that experience out of my memory. You guys will have a great time there!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #143
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Episode 7:Harry Potter Continues

After getting off The Forbidden Journey, we were a little shaky. It was a good time to take a break and have some refreshments. We headed here:

Well, that's actually a picture of the entrance to the 3 Broomsticks, we went in next door, through the Hogshead Tavern, which is attached.

We ordered a couple regular butterbeers and a couple frozen to share. The inside of the tavern is open to the inside of 3 Broomsticks, so we wandered over that way to find a seat. Well, actually Scott, my mom, and the girls were doing that while my dad and I waited in line at the bar. He insisted on paying as usual.

There were not many people at all in the restaurant, but when our group first sat down at a table, an employee came over and asked them to move. Apparently, they had sat at a table for 8 or 10, and we only had 6. Really? You think you are going to get mobbed in the 10 minutes it takes us to drink our butter beers?

We probably should have only gotten 2 butterbeers. They were... a little rich. Not bad, but very sweet. And thick. I don't think we finished them.

Wow, I was not feeling right after that butterbeer. I don't know if it was the drink or the ride, or a combination thereof, but I started feeling VERY nauseous. I had some pepto bismol caplets with me, so I took some, thinking it couldn't hurt. Then we headed over to Honeydukes, the sweet shop.

There were lots of interesting things to look at in here. The girls knew they wanted chocolate frogs, so they looked for those. They were $10 each!

We asked and were told that they also sell the chocolate frogs at the large gift shop at the front of the park, so we decided to wait and purchase them on the way out so we didn't have to carry them around. We left Honeydukes and did a little site seeing around Hogsmeade.

Continued in the next post.....
Old 02-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #144
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous post:

We made our way back up the street towards the only other ride we'd be doing in this part of the park: Flight of the Hippogriff. There was no WAY my girls would get on the Dueling Dragons.

We hopped in line, although there was really no line to speak of. This coaster has about the same thrill factor as Goofy's Barnstormer, so of course Jenna was already getting nervous. Not so Lucy.

The Hippogriff:

Hagrid's hut:

Our timing was perfect. Just after we got off Hippogriff, the Tri-Wizard Tournament show was going on. First the boys from Durmstrang did their bit and then the girls from Beauxbatons. They were wonderful! VERY good performers, and the choreography was just like in the movie.

And then, having done all there was to do in Harry Potter-ville, we decided to check out the rest of the park!

Up Next - Episode 8: Oh the Places You'll Go!

Last edited by Sleepingbooty; 02-16-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #145
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

I am really enjoying your HP side trip! It does look really pretty there! I just hope that you will feel better soon. Running around a theme park feeling sick isn't fun!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 02-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #146
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

It was very very cool!

No, feely queasy is no way to be. I was really glad I had those pepto pills!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #147
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Aww, you can see how nervous Jenna looks in the picture with your mom on Flight of the Hippogriff! Hope she enjoyed it, though! Ooo, the TriWizard show looks great. What a fun detail to include.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #148
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingbooty View Post
You guys always get hit hard in Chicago. I heard that the schools there closed for the first time in something like 20 years? How do they stay open through all these storms year after year? Do your plows clear the streets really quickly?
Our plows are really good, and are out right away normally as soon as it starts snowing. I think that's the main reason schools aren't typically closed. This time around however, there was no way they were able to be well prepared.

I am glad that you guys had a good time at the WWoHP. I just visited myself, and it was a lot of fun. You're totally right about the Forbidden Journey. It's unlike anything I've ever experienced before.

Lucy totally did what I would have done at that age though. If my parents would have said we were going somewhere other then Disney, I totally would have burst into tears!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #150
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

It looks so neat there! and the rides do sound fun!! Maybe someday, if I can tear myself away from WDW, I'll get there

Oh dear!! I would NOT want to be nauseous at ANY theme park!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: