Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #91
jrbdad
Mouseketeer

Wonderful information - thank you all - especially the OP!
jrbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #92
Prose
DIS Veteran

We are just off the Wonder to Alaska, and loved the phones. I'm not sure about anyone else, but neither of our phones had clips. One thing I noticed is that every time I answered, my phone was automatically on speaker, so I got in the habit of hitting the key to answer and then the speaker off key every time.
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Sailed the Western on the Fantasy 10/11/14
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #93
LissaW16
Mouseketeer

Just off the Dream (June 7th-12th double-dip).

My observations:
I never saw anyone talking on a wave phone anywhere on the ship or on CC. I never heard one ring (I don't think they make any audible noise).

I found them too difficult to text with (I tested it by txt'ing one of our traveling partners in an adjacent room). We ended using our whiteboards more than anything - listing where we would be for the next couple of hours, and that served the purpose of adult-to-adult communication. We'd write: "9am princess gathering in the atrium, followed by Mickey pool, lunch at Cabanas around noon. Going to see "Pirates" in 2D at 11:15 tonight in the BV theatre." Our traveling companions did the same, "Shopping in Nassau, see you at dinner".

We only carried ours (I made DH carry it, he had pockets and it didn't fit in my wristlet) when DD (4) was at Oceaneer's Club.

We got a text from the club on the last day reminding us to return our kid's wristband before midnight.

I'm going to make a larger wristlet for my next cruise so I can carry it if I want. There was more than once that one of us had to go get the phone after dropping DD off in the club, since we weren't in the habit of carrying it.

I saw that really tall palm tree from the observation tower, makes perfect sense now!

LissaW16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #94
ssanders79
NO FLASH photography means just that!

I found texting difficult as well.

ssanders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #95
SB in KY
DIS Veteran

These will meet our needs perfectly...we have 2 cabins, DD's (21 and 23) will be in 1 and DH and I in the other....they can text us and each other as much as needed to keep from going into TM withdrawal (I was worried they might seize or something if they had to go an entire week without texting anyone ) and with these phones I can find them if I want them (and I suppose they could also use them to lose us if they want to also )
SB in KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #96
jrbdad
Mouseketeer

Be very careful, they are fairly cheaply made and any water at all will cause them to malfunction -- we have experience.

Still hoping it doesn't show up on our visa.

We did report it, but the concierge was working on it. So we are hopeful.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #97
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
Be very careful, they are fairly cheaply made and any water at all will cause them to malfunction -- we have experience.

Still hoping it doesn't show up on our visa.

We did report it, but the concierge was working on it. So we are hopeful.
What happened to your wave phone then?
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #98
jrbdad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by extechie rbd/wdt View Post
What happened to your wave phone then?
We had a wonderful day at one of the family cabanas (highly recommend) and were headed back to the ship. We actually rented extra wave phones (three kids) and had brought them just in case the teenagers decided to go to the teen beach.

During the day -- the phones were on the counter in the cabana -- we finally headed back to the ship. DS15 hadn't been in the water since before lunch (4 hours ago), but I guess his swimsuit was still wet. He put the wave phone in his pocket on the way back to the ship -- big mistake.

It was fried by the time we got back.

We were staying concierge (lucky upgrade) and the concierge staff was trying to fix it when we left. This was over a week ago and we are still keeping our fingers crossed.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #99
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We had a wonderful day at one of the family cabanas (highly recommend) and were headed back to the ship. We actually rented extra wave phones (three kids) and had brought them just in case the teenagers decided to go to the teen beach.

During the day -- the phones were on the counter in the cabana -- we finally headed back to the ship. DS15 hadn't been in the water since before lunch (4 hours ago), but I guess his swimsuit was still wet. He put the wave phone in his pocket on the way back to the ship -- big mistake.

It was fried by the time we got back.

We were staying concierge (lucky upgrade) and the concierge staff was trying to fix it when we left. This was over a week ago and we are still keeping our fingers crossed.

I really hope they got it fixed for you without charge!

Ex Techie
Old 07-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #100
jrbdad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by extechie rbd/wdt View Post
I really hope they got it fixed for you without charge!

Ex Techie
Me too -- but we have DS15 on notice, just in case -- he may be digging ditches for awhile.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #101
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Me too -- but we have DS15 on notice, just in case -- he may be digging ditches for awhile.
A hard lesson to learn, but one not forgotten easily if they do charge!
But I reckon the fear of you possibly being charged and his extra chores are probably worse!

In 2 years I destroyed over 5 pagers and 2 Walkie Talkies!

I had to rake the entire crew volleyball/soccer court one Cataway Cay day after I lost my walkie talkie out of the Tech crew buggy. It took over an hour before I found it and another hour to clean the sand out of it, and I didn't lose it again afterwards! (but one got wet in a tropical downpour!)

Ex Techie

Last edited by extechie rbd/wdt; 07-20-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old 08-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #102
djoch
Earning My Ears

We have multiple state rooms on our upcoming trip on the Magic. This may be a silly question, but for calls and messages from oceaneers club/lab, can we ask that all calls be sent to only one phone?
djoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #103
joycsk
Red's my girl

Our experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoch View Post
We have multiple state rooms on our upcoming trip on the Magic. This may be a silly question, but for calls and messages from oceaneers club/lab, can we ask that all calls be sent to only one phone?
We sailed with 3 cabins. To the best of my knowledge, the only cabin contaced regarding the kids was ours, the cabin containing the parents and children. If your kids are split among cabins, that might be different, but I'd expect them only to call the cabin the kids are registered in.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #104
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

Once we figured them out--and it's not hard--I really liked having them. My entire party kept in touch with them. I would say they came in very handy for finding one another on the ship, for the kids' club contacting me to pick up my daughter once and calling back to the rooms.

I will say I read on here about people being charged a couple of months after they got home for lost or damaged phones when the guests say they left them in their rooms in perfect condition and this scares me a little. How would you prove you left them in working order?

But all in all, I think the phones are a GREAT addition and easy to work.

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California 2012: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...0Report%202012
DL Paris 2014
: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...eyland%20Paris
bibbidibobbidibecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #105
LD500
Earning My Ears

Read the whole thread as closely as possible, still have a few questions:

1. If I give my stateroom number to family back home, can they contact me via the Wave phone if there is an emergency. If so, I can leave my cell phone in the stateroom safe. One less item to carry.

2. We have adjoining staterooms for our family of 5. Two children with 1 parent registered in one stateroom, 1 child with 1 parent in the other.
Will Dad and Mom have to carry a Wave phone from each room to make sure we get all the calls or does Disney somehow link the two rooms accordingly.
Since I am with Mom 99% of the time it would be best to just carry 1 Wave phone. Hope this question makes sense.

3. With adjoining rooms (see #2), we will have 4 Wave Phones to use?

Thanks
LD500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dcl, wave phones

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: