Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #31
gmark2000
Everything is Disney

Some rooms have three phones?

Mediterranean Mouseketeers 7/13/13 | Fantasy Fans 4/7/12 | Bahamas Bound 3/13/11 | November Nauticals Bounceback 11/19/09 | Cruisin' to the Crucians 01/31/09 | Krewe de la Wonder 02/03/08 | Happy Laid Back Cruisers 02/03/07
gmark2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #32
jkrislc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanche_Neige View Post
nope you don't, I assume they will be cleaned the same way the phone and remotes are cleaned in the rooms.

I always bring my disinfectant wipes when I go on vacation, you should see the color of the wipe after I washed the tray on the plane
Given the risk of Noro Virus onboard, I'm sure they are cleaned between cruises. That doesn't mean I won't be wiping them down, though. Keep in mind that wipes are also readily available around the ship if you happen to forget to bring some.
jkrislc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #33
thegales
Mouseketeer
Says he is happy tagless but the Tag Fairy ain't buying it!

For those who are looking at a separate pouch to carry the phone, remember, the phones only vibrate. You will probably miss calls if it is not actually in a pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atinkerbellmom View Post
...As far as my children swimming, being irresponsible with the phone; not worried about that... My kids will not have them INCLUDING my teenager. The phones are meant for adults I am sure. For communication to the parents; especially with the kids club. I always know where my kids are on the ship if they are not with us. We do not allow "free willy" roaming. IF our children need to get in touch with us, they need to tell a CM or call us from a wall phone. Why would they need a phone? The kid tells you, I am going to the clubs with Karen and then we are going to the movies. OK, now you know where they are. You then say "ok Becky, meet us back in the room at 4:10 for dinner when the movie is over". Becky and Karen better be where they said if I am the parent!!! Becky better be back to the room at 4:10 or Becky looses her "freedom" on the ship. I guess we have never allowed our kids in 1st, 2nd, 3rd or even 4th grade at that matter roam free and us not to know where they are. What are they going to call and tell me? We would have communicated our plans when we saw each other... EMERGENCY, use a ship phone!
On our cruise, the main users of the phones were the tweens and teens. The phones have texting capability, and this is how they kept track of who was doing what, and where to meet.

I did not hear of any horror stories of kids and the pools, but another cruiser said there were some issues with adults forgetting they had them and jumping in.

aka lifeof in Chat

June 16, 2012 Eastern Cruise / December 18, 2010 11 Day Southern Caribbean / November 21, 2007 Thanksgiving on the Wonder / July 15, 2006 Western / November 23, 2005 Thanksgiving on the Wonder / October 9, 2004 Western Cruise / June 14, 2003 Eastern Cruise

thegales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #34
OrlandoSteve
Earning My Ears

texting

The phones were very convenient and almost overused by our teens. Only downside is texting. It's not a full QWERTY keyboard. Kids could text five sentences in 10 seconds. Took me about 5 mintues to text two words.
OrlandoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #35
gmark2000
Everything is Disney

I think I'd get one of these "type" (or make one myself):

Product Dimensions: 5.2 x 3.2 x 0.2 inches ; 1.1 ounces
ASIN: B001BTWTH6
Item model number: Golla G351
Mediterranean Mouseketeers 7/13/13 | Fantasy Fans 4/7/12 | Bahamas Bound 3/13/11 | November Nauticals Bounceback 11/19/09 | Cruisin' to the Crucians 01/31/09 | Krewe de la Wonder 02/03/08 | Happy Laid Back Cruisers 02/03/07
Old 01-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #36
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

If you sent a vibrating phone on a tabletop...won't it 'shimmy'? (Can you tell my phone is NEVER on vibrate?) I could swear in the office I hear people's phones skidding across their desks!

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #37
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

I dont have kids, so I cant speak for the need or lack of need for these. I know they are replacing the pagers, but to be honest, I REALLY hope ppl who don't absolutely NEED these opt not to use them. I have never lost someone in my party to the point where I was scared, and I don't wanna hear ppl yacking away at the pool when I'm trying to relax. If people are txting eachother and everyone is on vibrate, then I'll survive I guess.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #38
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

When I first heard about these I swore that I would not like them. Well, after last week on the Magic I was wrong! These were wonderful and next cruise we will rent another one so that both kids will have them. DS was in the Edge where they don't page parents. It is up to the kids to contact you. There were a few times when the kids were out doing one thing and found out about another activity. They just had to text us for permission to change plans and we knew exactly where they were. In Palo I set the phone on the table. It lit up when we got a text that DD had gotten sea sick in the stateroom so DH was able to go down and check on her quickly. We used white boards in the room last time but this was so much better because we didn't have to keep running to the room to update. I did miss a couple calls when the phone was in my purse at the show but if DD was out with DS or we were expecting a call from her friends I kept it in my pocket or hand so we didn't miss it. It was great to be able to contact her new friends on their phone so the girls could meet at the pool or a character meet. They even worked on CC! There were a couple times when I wish DH had one so that I could find him without having to walk all over the ship a few times [like when my KTTW card was misplaced and they had to reprint cards for everyone in the stateroom...I could find the kids but not DH to give him the new card.] Much better than hearing people talk to their kids on walkie talkies in PALO IMO.
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #39
Lissame
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
When I first heard about these I swore that I would not like them. Well, after last week on the Magic I was wrong! These were wonderful and next cruise we will rent another one
So you can rent an extra? How much does it cost?
Lissame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #40
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissame View Post
So you can rent an extra? How much does it cost?
$3.50 per day to rent an additional wave phone.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #41
Topscot
Mouseketeer

So, can you call other stateroom phones to get in contact with people you are traveling with or is it just between your own stateroom phones and the kids clubs?

3/31/11 - 4/1/11 POR
4/2/11 - 4/9/11 DCL Western

Topscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #42
Minniemouse07
DIS Veteran

The specs on page 1 state that it is Bluetooth capable.

I wonder if we can pair it w/ our Bluetooth earpieces?

...WDW/DCL sea/land! August 2011

Minniemouse07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #43
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topscot View Post
So, can you call other stateroom phones to get in contact with people you are traveling with or is it just between your own stateroom phones and the kids clubs?
You can call other staterooms too. It is also preprogramed with numbers for guest services, room service, maintenance, PALS character line, etc.
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #44
Topscot
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
You can call other staterooms too. It is also preprogramed with numbers for guest services, room service, maintenance, PALS character line, etc.
That's great! I guess I'll gave the whiteboard off of my packing list.

3/31/11 - 4/1/11 POR
4/2/11 - 4/9/11 DCL Western

Topscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 PM   #45
gmark2000
Everything is Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemouse07 View Post
The specs on page 1 state that it is Bluetooth capable.

I wonder if we can pair it w/ our Bluetooth earpieces?
I believe this option is not enabled with the Wave Phones as it's an additional module.

Tags
dcl, wave phones

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: