Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

After PIF, getting an extra cabin

Hopefully I can explain this right. We have 2 cabins on our Feb. cruise. Cabin #1 has DH, me and our 2 girls. Cabin #2 has my dad who is retired military, my 22 yr old son and my two youngest boys, 17 & 15. I'm not holding my breath for a deal before PIF, but if a mil rate comes out after- my dad could get the new cabin and move one of the boys into it, leaving the 22 ur old in the original cabin, right? Also, he would just pay the penalty on his fare and whatever kid we move, is that correct?
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
sambycat
DIS Veteran

since none has yet responded, i will throw my thoughts out there.... after PIF date, whoever doesn’t cruise or moves from the cabin would lose whatever the penalty rate is (i think that varies as you get closer to the cruise? not wanting to quote exact amounts, but i think it increases from the deposit towards the entire fare up until a certain point prior to sailing?). also, changing names in the cabins invokes some kind of fee after PIF and of course a single in a cabin pays a single supplement AND the main cabin heads have to be over 18.

SO... there would be more to calculate than just the PIF fee loss to offset a third cabin discount - i would think somehow the rate couldn’t possibly offset the fact that only 4 of you in total could each have a cabin in your names and thus i think the fare of the second person in any given cabin would probably also increase to offset the single supplement? now, if you can figure out the math and it makes sense, people can reorganize to sleep wherever they want but i thats my take on it!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Generally this is the schedule for the penalty fees:

74-45 days Deposit per Guest for Non-Suites/Concierge staterooms
44-30 days 50% of vacation price per Guest
29-15 days 75% of vacation price per Guest
14 days or less 100% of vacation price per Guest

You would lose whatever the penalty is for your father and son booking a new room for them. You'll have to figure out if the savings outweighs the penalty.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Thanks shmoo- I knes you would know! If what the OP meant was that they are looking to add a 3rd cabin if some deal pops up after PIF, that would involve a name change on an existing cabin, at least one cabin having a single supplement and possibly increasing the fare of a 3rd person in a room becoming a second ful price adult? There's too much math here!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat View Post
Thanks shmoo- I knes you would know! If what the OP meant was that they are looking to add a 3rd cabin if some deal pops up after PIF, that would involve a name change on an existing cabin, at least one cabin having a single supplement and possibly increasing the fare of a 3rd person in a room becoming a second ful price adult? There's too much math here!
I believe OP was talking about removing her father and one son from the one room (making 2 people in room #2) and then booking the military rate for room #3 (father and one son). That would mean they would have to pay whatever penalties apply to Passengers 3 & 4 (usually those passengers are a lesser cost) for cancelling them from room #2. Then they must pay 2 adult fares for the military rate.

As I said, they would have to figure out how much they are going to lose by cancelling, and then see what the cost is for the new room.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I believe OP was talking about removing her father and one son from the one room (making 2 people in room #2) and then booking the military rate for room #3 (father and one son). That would mean they would have to pay whatever penalties apply to Passengers 3 & 4 (usually those passengers are a lesser cost) for cancelling them from room #2. Then they must pay 2 adult fares for the military rate. As I said, they would have to figure out how much they are going to lose by cancelling, and then see what the cost is for the new room.
Shmoo- exactly!! I just can't stand paying rack rate! Thanks for all the responses- I guess I will see if anything pans out, either way I'm doing a cruise
Old 09-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #7
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Yes!!! On our up coming cruise I added a room after the PIF date. I went from 4 in a 9c to 2 in a 7a and 2 in a 11b. They waived the penalty because I was spending more money. If the military discount is offered I would call and ask. It benefits DCL to allow it because they are making more money off of you. It never hurts to ask, and ask to speak to a supervisor. Good Luck.
Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #8
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
Yes!!! On our up coming cruise I added a room after the PIF date. I went from 4 in a 9c to 2 in a 7a and 2 in a 11b. They waived the penalty because I was spending more money. If the military discount is offered I would call and ask. It benefits DCL to allow it because they are making more money off of you. It never hurts to ask, and ask to speak to a supervisor. Good Luck.
Awesome, thanks
Old 09-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #9
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Sounds like what we're hoping to do. Move 2 people into their own room, rather than 4 adults in 1 room. If rates are worth paying [likely] penalty.

MK [EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13Indy DIS 9/14PCC DCL/WDW11/14
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: