Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #91
ColoradoK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixiePixie View Post
I never knew there was an actual name for this!! I have been scared of people vomiting my whole entire life. I went to school to be a nurse (LOL), but have put it on hold because I have yet to find an area I can work in that doesn't involve people vomiting. I wanted to be a lactation consultant , but was warned that I would come across women that were sick from the meds after a csection. I am not sure I will continue the certification process. I have tried to desensitize myself by watching videos of people vomiting on Youtube. Hasn't worked. It practically gives me a panic attack. I cannot be around someone who is going to vomit. I completely panic. I have to get away. If I couldn't get away from the situation, I am sure I would completely freak out. I go to great lengths to make sure I am not in that situation. I don't go to bars. I don't go to amusement parks. I refuse to ride in a car with people who say they get carsick. We do have an up and coming Disney vacation planned. I am completely nervous that I will be around someone that gets sick. I am not letting my family ride rides that I think could cause motion sickness like the teacups or Mission Space. Just thinking about this is starting to get me panicky. My family thinks I am crazy and makes fun of me, but I truly can't help it.
Welcome Nixie Pixie! I just want to say...I worked on L&D/Mom-Baby etc for YEARS before I became a SAHM and it would be very very very rare for a mom to still be nauseated by the time a lactation consultant would see her. LCs get to do a lot of outpatient visits too. I had 3 C-sections myself and took care of a bazillion C/S patients and unless they had general anesthesia, pretty much no one puked. And generals are rare...at least at my nice, low risk hospital that is soooo pro-breastfeeding I felt bad for the moms who chose formula. Also, if you got a job as an LC at, say, a Children's Hospital where the moms aren't even the patients (so, they're not going to be on a lot of drugs). My son was in the Children's Hospital NICU and the LCs there were amazing. Lots of help and support with our special circumstances and helping me with pumping and my questions, etc. I would absolutely love to be a lactation consultant one day when I have to grow up and go back to work.

May 2013-Suprise! We're Going to Disneyland! Ramada Maingate Say Hey! Big Reveal and Montage Trip Report
Nov 2011-POFQ Our DYN-O-MITE video montage Trip Report
May 2010-HoJo Disneyland Trip Report
Feb 2009-HoJo Disneyland Trip Report Day 1-2 3-4 5-6
Oct 2001-Swalphin
Oct 1993-Yacht Club and Big Red Boat Cruise
ColoradoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #92
NixiePixie
Earning My Ears

Oh thank you for quelling some of my fears!! Being an LC has been a dream of mine. I think it would be a great fit for me. Once my newest little one gets old enough, I will def. have to look back into getting certified.
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #93
NixiePixie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
Welcome to our club Nixie Pixie LOL!!!!!

While we were watching The Grammy Awards on Sunday as a family my sons were looking at the huge theater & said wow wouldn't it be fun to be there....I swear to you my VERY FIRST thought was "OMG no way one of them would throw up in that huge crowded theater."

I also have anxiety on buses, in crowds (YES especially at WDW!) at kid's birthday parties, sporting events, etc. I am constantly watching and scoping everyone out to see if they look funny, are eating too much junk, etc. I make sure I know where the bathroom is, where the nearest garbage can is, etc. It's like my mental ritual. It's draining.
I think I am going to make it very clear to DH that if he notices someone getting sick at Disney to make sure I and the kids are distracted. Hopefully, I will be soo tied up in what my fams is doing, I won't notice anyone else. I know I am gonna freak out on the kiddos after they go on Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, etc. They are gonna get the barrage of questions: "How do you feel?" "Do you feel okay?" "How is your stomach?" "You aren't gonna be sick, are you?" My poor kiddos!!
It was a thread on here that freaked me out. Something along the lines of how many people have seen other people get sick at Disney. I guess the biggest hot spot is Epcot because of people trying to drink themselves around the world. I shouldn't have read the darn thread. I upped my own anxiety twenty fold. :P :P
Old 02-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #94
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

From one Emet to another.....avoid the area of mission space if you can. Most people get sick from that ride. Ugh. Also I avoid public bathrooms like the plague. I actually keep my ipod with headphones in my purse to wear into the bathroom so I won't hear anyone getting sick. Nothing worse than being trapped in a stall having to listen while someone is puking in the stall next door. I will avoid drinking anything when we go out so I won't have to use the bathroom.
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #95
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Boy do we all have rituals or WHAT?!?! OMG OMG I DO tend to search the area around Mission Space!! Last year my kids were obsessed with RnR I won't ride - so I waited at least 25 times at the exit - and I scanned every single person getting off that ride for signs of someone that might throw up! The 1st time DS13 rode RnR he was dizzy when he got outside after the ride - I almost had a panic attack! I made him sit by some bushes in case he got sick, and then I made us all go back to the hotel - and we were at The Dolphin so we went there by boat - OMG I had my hand on my ziplock bag in my purse and must have asked him 100 times on that boat ride if he was ok. He was SO annoyed with me. I also made us sit outside on the boat & it was FREEZING - but I just wasn't taking that chance that he'd get sick inside the boat. Of course, he was FINE. It was all in my head.

Public restrooms don't bother me one bit - isn't that odd? I'm so glad they don't! It's just my kids getting sick that I obsess about. ALL THE TIME. 24/7.

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #96
NixiePixie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
From one Emet to another.....avoid the area of mission space if you can. Most people get sick from that ride. Ugh. Also I avoid public bathrooms like the plague. I actually keep my ipod with headphones in my purse to wear into the bathroom so I won't hear anyone getting sick. Nothing worse than being trapped in a stall having to listen while someone is puking in the stall next door. I will avoid drinking anything when we go out so I won't have to use the bathroom.
I will def. keep that in mind. I just looked at an Epcot map and am happy that it looks like it is in a space all by itself. We won't even venture there!! How good is Disney about cleaning up things? Are they pretty quick about it? Gosh, can ya tell I am soooo anxious about this trip. LOL The ipod trick seems like a really good idea. I have never put myself into a theme park situation before, so I never have really freaked about public bathrooms. I am sure if I were stuck in a stall with someone next to me getting sick, I would freak. I am not even sure exactly what I would do. Thinking about it makes me want to climb the walls right now.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #97
NixiePixie
Earning My Ears

Gosh this is such an irrational fear. I mean, really, what would it do to me if someone was getting sick near me. Nothing. It isn't like it would cause me true physical harm or kill me or something, but that is exactly what my brain thinks will happen. I also have a fear of heights, dead things, and spiders. Those are pretty easy to deal with. I stay away from high places. I stay away from dead things. I try and stay away from spiders. If one happens to find its way into the house, I run and scream and make my DH handle it. I feel like even with all my precautions, I still might run into someone getting sick, therefore I am always kinda on "high alert". Some days are worse than others. Some situations worse than others. I know my brain shouldn't be like this. I have no idea how or if I can change it.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #98
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

I am with you 100% Nixie - I KNOW this fear of my kids vomiting all the time is irrational - and like you said - so they throw up - big deal - no one dies - but my brain just tells me it will be HORRIFIC. For me it's just the constant anxiety of if, when, where, etc. Like someone else said, it's rooted in control issues. I CANNOT control if, when or where they throw up, so I do rituals & have constant anxiety in my mind trying my hardest TO control it.

WDW is awesome at cleaning up "protein spills" as they call them. Twice I had people vomit right near me in WDW (one in line for Lights, Motors Action, the other time strolling through Germany). A CM was there within seconds & both times they pulled a bag of sawdust or whatever it is that they use, out of their uniform! They cover the mess with the sawdust stuff, then another CM was right there within a minute to sweep up the mess. If you weren't right there you may have totally missed it.

Another time (I think I told this story on the other vomit thread or at the start of this one) - a kid threw up right outside the ladies room door while my friend & I were in the bathroom at Prime Time. We all stayed in the ladies room until we were sure it was cleaned up - and it was done within 3 minutes.

Now I've seen horror stories about people vomiting on the buses - that they do NOTHING about it. OMG I can't imagine. I just know that will happen to me with my kids. I carry a ziplock bag in my purse AT ALL TIMES in WDW. (I also keep one in the seatbacks of all of vehicles.) Yep, another ritual! I actually already have anxiety about my family trip in March - DH and the boys will go to Disney Quest til midnight one night - and then take the bus back from DTD to Dolphin. After a long day in the parks, eating junk & lack of sleep - to me that's a lethal combo that will make one of them sick (irrational yes, but explain that to my brain). I'm already anxious that one of them wil throw up on the bus back. I'm trying to convince DH to just pay for a cab back to the hotel that late - but even that doesn't really help me. They can still throw up in a cab!

I hate this!!!

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's

Last edited by TaraPA; 02-16-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: typos
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #99
Sehsun
DIS Veteran

I'll go ahead and introduce myself :)

Hello everyone,
I've been subscribed to this thread for quite some time (found it when lukenick1 created the thread about v* in movies), but I felt like all the things I had to say were already mentioned. But I guess I'll go ahead and introduce myself. I feel like I've had emetophobia for a while, probably since middle or high school. I share a lot of the same things that you all mentioned, and while it is anxiety-provoking and embarrassing sometimes, it is good to know I am not alone.

What is ironic is I am a nurse. Though currently unemployed as one. I don't share with many people that I have this phobia because they would think I'm ridiculous for going into this profession with this fear. During clinicals, I remember the first time I had to face v*, but I got through it and felt that was a big accomplishment. My heart was racing, and I felt so scared, but somehow I made it through. I think I am a bit better about it when I know it's not contagious (i.e., N/V of pregnancy, nausea from pain meds/chemo/surgery, etc.). NixiePixie, don't let the fear stop you from doing what you want to do.

I am surprised that I am still able to go to theme parks as often as I do with emetophobia. I think I've gotten better, or maybe my love for theme parks is stronger than my emet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
I am afraid to try the orange version of Mission: Space for this reason. If I ever get brave enough to try the orange version, I'm going to make sure I know everybody who's in my vehicle - or at least know that they have done it before and have had no problems with it. I am also not a fan of public restrooms, but I try to deal with it as best as I can and will try to make sure it looks "clean" enough before using it. It's a plus if I find one with the seat up, which means it hasn't been used yet for the day. I could go on about public restrooms, but I won't because I don't want to stray off-topic.

The last time I was at MK, I used the restroom near Space Mountain. I am very sure someone v* in one of the stalls. I don't want to make anyone feel anxious, but I'll just say that one of my 5 senses could strongly sense it. I could also see a "Caution Wet Floor" sign blocking off the left side of stalls. But.....I did okay with it, although I had to breathe through my mouth the whole time I was in there. And I told my mom NOT to use that restroom when I met her outside and the reason why. For a little while I was afraid that I stepped in it or something, but I reassured myself there was none of it on the path I walked on. Btw....does anyone else look at the floor a lot where they walk, and if they see a large stain or spot of suspicious color, purposely try to avoid stepping in it?

One thing I read from an emetophobia discussion forum was the facts about norovirus (the stomach bug people often get in winter). It was pretty reassuring. You just have to make sure to wash your hands well because it is spread through fecal-oral route. It has been said that ingredients with benzalkonium or benzethonium chloride (with 0.013% concentration) are effective against norovirus. A few products that contain these ingredients in are Wet Ones wipes and the Gold Bond hand sanitizer lotion (which I bought a bottle of and keep in my car). I am not sure of the risks (if any) for using these products, so if anyone knows more about them, please let me know.

Perhaps it would be reassuring to buy Wet Ones wipes and take them with you to the parks. Use them before you eat, if you are unable to get to a restroom where there is good old soap and water. Just thought I would pass that along! If you made it all the way through this post, thanks for reading.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #100
ead79
Disney Bride!
Wants the perfect pancake pan
Really likes a lot of NSYNC's songs
I hope my new job isn't like the movie "Office Space"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
Now I've seen horror stories about people vomiting on the buses - that they do NOTHING about it. OMG I can't imagine.
I agree with you that in general Disney is very good about cleaning up protein spills quickly. Since we drive down to Disney and use our car for the most part, I don't have that much bus riding experience, but I find it hard to believe that Disney would do nothing about it. I mean, it is a biohazard after all. Now I can see that it wouldn't be safe for the driver to just pull off to the side of the road immediately after it happened, but I doubt they would just leave it there.

I know it's hard to remind your rational side that the fear is unlikely, at least it is for me. But just try to remember how many thousands of people ride Disney's busses every day without coming in contact with any protein spills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehsun View Post
For a little while I was afraid that I stepped in it or something, but I reassured myself there was none of it on the path I walked on. Btw....does anyone else look at the floor a lot where they walk, and if they see a large stain or spot of suspicious color, purposely try to avoid stepping in it?
Welcome! It's so funny that you should mention avoiding stains and spots on the floor, as that is one of the things I struggle with. I still have to remind myself not to do it and to fight the urge. I will say that as it turns out, there's a lot more interesting stuff to look at when you don't look down all the time, LOL! It is a bit comforting to know I'm not the only one who does this though.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #101
ColoradoK
Mouseketeer

My emet is rather new and so I haven't had to think about it yet in regards to traveling or theme parks and such but now it's starting to freak me out.

I'm terrified one or all of us will be sick on vacation...I'm now scared that other people will yak on a ride/bus/plane. I never worried about that before. My oldest is a total daredevil and is super excited about Mission: Space as he wants to be the first man on Mars when he grows up....now I'm really nervous if "most" people get sick on it. I guess I'll have to make DH take him although DH isn't a big fan of spinning. Green side, it shall be. Aw man. This sucks. I won't tell DS6 that there is a more intense side.

Like Sehsun (WELCOME, by the way!) I'm much much much better if I know it is not contagious. MUCH. Probably why I was okay working in the hospital. Unless it's my kid doing it...then it's awful no matter what. Well, I assume it would be. No one has actually thrown up in this house since my emet started.

I have my next therapy session this afternoon. I am hoping to make some huge progress.

The thing that is hardest for me to get over is the fear of germs...and I'm not talking OCD scrub my hands constantly till they're raw or making my kids change clothes when they get home from school...but regular ol' contact with germs. It's REAL. That's how this is spread. So how am I supposed to get over that "irrational fear"? It's not irrational if it's a real possibility, is it? I don't want to take my 1.5 year old to the store because of shopping cart handles and she still hasn't been "trained" not to put her hands in her mouth. I don't want to let my boys play in the McD's play area because of all the nastiness in there. Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

May 2013-Suprise! We're Going to Disneyland! Ramada Maingate Say Hey! Big Reveal and Montage Trip Report
Oct 2001-Swalphin
Old 02-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #102
ColoradoK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixiePixie View Post
It was a thread on here that freaked me out. Something along the lines of how many people have seen other people get sick at Disney.
I am SO glad I have not seen that thread. Yet. We went to Disneyland twice and I didn't see a single person throw up....not that I was looking for it then, though.

And also, thanks Sehsun for mentioning the Wet Ones and the Gold Bond...I've always carried Wet Ones and we use them before eating out but I'll stock the Gold Bond in the car now. I'd like to find those reassuring facts on norovirus. When I picked DS3 up from preschool on Tuesday there was a kid in the office waiting for his grandma to pick him up because he was puking. Great.

I meant to ask...does this benzalkonium or benzethonium chloride kill rotavirus too?

Oct 2001-Swalphin

Last edited by ColoradoK; 02-17-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #103
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoK View Post
My emet is rather new and so I haven't had to think about it yet in regards to traveling or theme parks and such but now it's starting to freak me out.

I'm terrified one or all of us will be sick on vacation...I'm now scared that other people will yak on a ride/bus/plane. I never worried about that before. My oldest is a total daredevil and is super excited about Mission: Space as he wants to be the first man on Mars when he grows up....now I'm really nervous if "most" people get sick on it. I guess I'll have to make DH take him although DH isn't a big fan of spinning. Green side, it shall be. Aw man. This sucks. I won't tell DS6 that there is a more intense side.

Like Sehsun (WELCOME, by the way!) I'm much much much better if I know it is not contagious. MUCH. Probably why I was okay working in the hospital. Unless it's my kid doing it...then it's awful no matter what. Well, I assume it would be. No one has actually thrown up in this house since my emet started.

I have my next therapy session this afternoon. I am hoping to make some huge progress.

The thing that is hardest for me to get over is the fear of germs...and I'm not talking OCD scrub my hands constantly till they're raw or making my kids change clothes when they get home from school...but regular ol' contact with germs. It's REAL. That's how this is spread. So how am I supposed to get over that "irrational fear"? It's not irrational if it's a real possibility, is it? I don't want to take my 1.5 year old to the store because of shopping cart handles and she still hasn't been "trained" not to put her hands in her mouth. I don't want to let my boys play in the McD's play area because of all the nastiness in there. Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
Ya know Kristen....as much as these support boards can be comforting they can also be a bad thing. Other crazy ideas and thoughts being put into our heads that we may have not worried about before. I'm sorry If i added to your anxiety. I also never let my kids play at those McD's playgrounds and used to avoid shopping carts with them. They do sell those cute covers for the shopping carts for babies that they did not have when my 2 were babies. That would have been awesome to have. I never let my kids ride in those car shopping carts either.....Yuck! I don't even let my kids have a friend over in the winter in case they bring germs into my house. When kids do come over, they know to wash hands right away before touching anything. They must think I am a freak! Oh and I won't let my kids touch the menu at a restaurant or the ketchup bottle.....
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #104
ColoradoK
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=lukenick1;39989896]Ya know Kristen....as much as these support boards can be comforting they can also be a bad thing. Other crazy ideas and thoughts being put into our heads that we may have not worried about before. I'm sorry If i added to your anxiety. /QUOTE]

True 'dat...about "support" threads also being more anxiety-provoking. However, I'm no more anxious than I was before reading your post. It's all good.

I USED to be a big believer in my kids being exposed to germs to build up their immune systems...I mean, we wouldn't be licking door handles or anything but if my daughter dropped her pacifier I'd put it in my own mouth to "clean" it off and, because she breastfeeds, I'd have those germs to make immunities for. I didn't keep my kid home from school when H1N1 was in the classroom and less than half the class was attending. And now I'm soooooooo the opposite....well, I still don't care about a cold or apparently even the flu LOL but stomach stuff...I'm doing everything we can! I put the boys and myself on probiotics and my husband is all upset because they're so expensive. I do not care. If I could figure out other immunity boosting things I'd be taking those too.

Oct 2001-Swalphin
Old 02-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #105
Sehsun
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the welcome wishes!

I tend to do fine on rides that may cause motion sickness. In the past, I have felt a tiny bit queasy on simulator rides - I specifically remember feeling a little queasy on Body Wars at EPCOT when I was younger. But that has not stopped me from going on rides.

After reading some posts about Forbidden Journey (IOA) and the Simpsons Ride (Universal), I decided to try some ginger candy as a precautionary measure right before riding, and I was absolutely fine. But a little part of me worries about the other riders and if they will get sick. I also sometimes take Dramamine when I fly because I remember sometimes feeling queasy on planes when I was younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoK View Post
And also, thanks Sehsun for mentioning the Wet Ones and the Gold Bond...I've always carried Wet Ones and we use them before eating out but I'll stock the Gold Bond in the car now. I'd like to find those reassuring facts on norovirus. When I picked DS3 up from preschool on Tuesday there was a kid in the office waiting for his grandma to pick him up because he was puking. Great.

I meant to ask...does this benzalkonium or benzethonium chloride kill rotavirus too?
You're welcome, Kristin! The site where I got this info from was here. I also used the search function at this site and tried to find threads about hand sanitizers and what was effective.

According to the link I posted, rotavirus is a form of norovirus - so hopefully those ingredients would be effective against it as well. Again, though, I would consult with a pediatrician about using it with younger kids.

I can relate to you on the fear of germs thing. If I had children, I wouldn't let them play in the ball pit at McDonald's. And I would probably "wear" my babies than let them ride in the shopping cart. But I used to play in the ball pits when I was younger and ride in shopping carts, and I was fine. I guess a rational argument would be that kids have to be exposed to germs to build up their immunity. But it is still a very anxiety-provoking thought.

ETA: I saw that you just posted about building up your children's immunity. The fact that you're breastfeeding is helping a lot, too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: