Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #16
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
I think I used to have emetophobia, but it was a side effect of panic disorder. When I was little and would get the stomach flu I would ask my mom if I was dying. When I got to be a tween I was bullied in school. Naturally I was nervous to go to school. When I get nervous I feel sick, so I felt sick all the time, and I was terrified I would throw up. It got to the point that I slept propped up on pillows with one of those pans from the hospital on my chest. I never ate because I always felt sick when I ate, so I dropped down to a scary weight and was misdiagnosed as anorexic. My mom saw a show on Oprah about panic disorders and realized that was what I had. She took me to a new doctor and I was put on medication and I started getting better. I ate more, stopped sleeping with the pan, and stopped worrying about getting sick. Now when I get the flu or a headache that makes me throw up, I no longer panic. I get sick and get it over with. The only thing that still makes me nervous is the idea of getting sick at my boyfriend's house or his car. I don't freak out when other people get sick either.

I know how paralyzing the fear of vomiting can be. I'm glad I've learned to control it. I wish you all the best.
My ds9 has developed a fear now. The last time he was sick was on his 8th birthday and he was throwing up so hard he could not breath and from that day on he was afraid. Thankfully that was 2 years ago and he hasnt been sick since. He went thru almost a year long phase of anxiety about it. He was afraid to go on the school bus, was afraid in the car, afraid to be sick at school. He would go to the nurse everyday to call me cuz he was feeling sick. He was definitely having so much anxiety about it. I hope if he gets sick again we don't go thru that ordeal. I know first hand how crippling it can be to be afraid. Im happy for you that you were able to get over it
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #17
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
TaraPA, sorry you are going thru this. I cannot imagine it affecting my sleep like that. Sounds like your son may have the flu or strep throat which will not include vomiting. I have a question.....does your son have a gastroenterologist?? Have they ever talked to you about a procedure called Nissan Fundoplication?? If your son suffers from that much reflux, it is definitely not healthy for his esophageal lining and the acid could cause serious damage.
It was a quiet night - thank God! He still has a very sore throat & cold symptoms. Yes Lukenick1 - he does have a pediatric gastroenterologist. He has moderate reflux & already has esophogeal scarring from it (he's had reflux since he was born), and he has a hiatal hernia too, but that's a non-issue at the moment. He's also part of a study on cyclic or episodic vomiting. His gastro doc said there's a rare condition that happens in kids of small stature (he's very small for his age), whose maternal line suffers from migraines (my mom & I both do) that can actually trigger random vomiting in kids. Go figure! So he wants to try & find out if his night time vomiting is actually from the reflux, or from this other condition. He's on Omaperozole (generic Prilosec) daily for the reflux, and cyproheptadine for the cyclic vomiting.

I've never heard of that procedure but I'll be sure to look into it! Thanks for the info!

Oh on aonther note - I'm so excited - I forgot to mention yesterday - I booked a Disney trip for March! I travel with a great bunch of ladies that I met right here on the DIS - we're all from PA - and have been going to WDW together for a few years. On the spur of the moment they booked yesterday so I did too! Airfare was only $124 round trip so I couldn't say no. We're going as a family in the end of March too - I must be nuts! Or just very very lucky!

Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
[/SIZE]
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #18
acejka
DIS Veteran

How do you guys deal with flying? I'm terrified that someone within my sight or hearing lines will vomit and i will freak? I don't care if they are doing it as long as i dont see or hear it.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #19
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Even though I'm not terrified of someone getting sick on a plane, I'm always AWARE. Always. I'm always scoping people out trying to see if I can tell if they aren't feeling well. I also let the top of the airsick bag stick out the top of the seat pocket just in case I need to grab it quick. I always know just where my ziplock bags are, just in case. Isn't that crazy?!? I do it all the time, not just on planes - I do it at WDW all the time. It's that anticipation anxiety thing I have again. I work in retail & if I hear a kid say "I don't feel good" or "my belly hurts" I'm a nervous wreck - scoping out where the closest garbage can is, where is the kid going, etc.

Even though I claim to not be freaked out by seeing or hearing someone else vomit, the strange thing is that I can remember, vividly, every single time I've ever witnesses someone throwing up. And I don't forget - so maybe there is some terror or something causing trauma in me when I see it!

Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
[/SIZE]
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #20
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

When I fly I make sure to medicate my kids with dramamine and I take prescription anti nausea pills which dont help me because my nerves makes me nautious too. I also push my headphones so far into my ears I swear they will get stuck in case someone is doing it around me. I could never sit next to someone who is sick on a plane. I would insist on changing seats immediately. You know when they say to turn off all electronic devices when we start to land?? Well I secretly leave my music on because thats usually when someone is air sick and I'd rather crash than hear someone vomit! I have to tell you guys what just happened to me an hour ago. I went sledding with my kids and there was a Mom there I was talking to. Well she was spitting while talking and it was hitting my lips. EEwww so when she left I told my BFF what happened and she offered me a tissue. So another friend offered to pour some of her bottle water on my tissue so I could clean my lips. So I agree, start wiping my lips with the wet tissue then notice the water bottle was half gone meaning she had previously drank water from the bottle. OMG I just made matters worse by having someone's backwash water on the tissue I was wiping my lips with!!!! Talk about freaking out now. Now I will worry for days that she was sick and will make me sick with a stomach bug
Old 01-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #21
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

TaraPA.....
I think its a normal reaction to get all panic stricken and frantic when someone vomits. Its a nasty mess and who wants to clean that???? Ugh
Old 01-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #22
annie1995
I have not used mine outside the house yet
CM's always tell me that's not how it works

You can add me in! I have had a huge fear of throwing up, or someone around me throwing up for as long as I can remember. The last time my DS was sick, I almost passed out, it was crazy. I make my middle son sleep with a small bin by his side as he never makes it when he wakes up sick, and this has saved me alot of cleanups in the past. The funny thing is that I can handle vomit, if its not from a contagious standpoint. My DS had appendicitis and was puking, that didn't bother me cause we couldn't catch it. My friend had too much to drink and was puking and I sat right on the floor with him holding a cloth to his neck, again with no proboems. My DH got sick and I took the kids and we stayed in a hotel till he was better. THey posted on the news a week ago that the noro virus is in our area pretty bad, so that right there up'd my anxiety level. I stopped taking my meds a few months ago when I became pregnant, and considered going on them again, but I recently found out I am having twins, so I won't start them again because this is a high risk pregnancy as both babies are sharing the same sac, so they said I will be delieved quite a bit early and don't want the babies dealing with more then they have to. UGH, now I am rambling so anyhoo, I will join your club
Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #23
acejka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie1995 View Post
You can add me in! I have had a huge fear of throwing up, or someone around me throwing up for as long as I can remember. The last time my DS was sick, I almost passed out, it was crazy. I make my middle son sleep with a small bin by his side as he never makes it when he wakes up sick, and this has saved me alot of cleanups in the past. The funny thing is that I can handle vomit, if its not from a contagious standpoint. My DS had appendicitis and was puking, that didn't bother me cause we couldn't catch it. My friend had too much to drink and was puking and I sat right on the floor with him holding a cloth to his neck, again with no proboems. My DH got sick and I took the kids and we stayed in a hotel till he was better. THey posted on the news a week ago that the noro virus is in our area pretty bad, so that right there up'd my anxiety level. I stopped taking my meds a few months ago when I became pregnant, and considered going on them again, but I recently found out I am having twins, so I won't start them again because this is a high risk pregnancy as both babies are sharing the same sac, so they said I will be delieved quite a bit early and don't want the babies dealing with more then they have to. UGH, now I am rambling so anyhoo, I will join your club

How are you doing with morning sickness and your twins? I don't want to puke, that's why I keep trying to come off the pill and then chickening out.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #24
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejka View Post
How are you doing with morning sickness and your twins? I don't want to puke, that's why I keep trying to come off the pill and then chickening out.
ace.....if you become pregnant you can talk to your OB about your fears and hopefully she will prescribe Phenergan for you. It is an antiemetic and I know lots of women who took it during their first trimester and the baby is fine. I was lucky I never got sick during all of my pregnancies. I had 2 births and 3 miscarriages.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #25
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

annie.....welcome to the club and congrats on your twins!!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #26
annie1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejka View Post
I have never had bad morning sickness. More of an all day ickyness, its wierd, its not really nausea, but just a strange ickyness But my doc gave me zofran incase and it definitely has helped. This is also what they give my DS when he gets stomach bugs, cause he can never stop throwing up when he gets sick. I take him in at the first barf, and they load him up and we are usually good to go
Old 01-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #27
annie1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
annie.....welcome to the club and congrats on your twins!!!!
Thank you!! I am finally glad to have people to chat with that have the same fears that I do
Old 01-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #28
Elmo9607
DIS Veteran

I always get a bit anxious on planes that someone is going to get sick. I think that would just be awful for me since I run away whenever somone around me is sick, and I can't do that on a plane. I always sit by a window, so it's not so easy to move and get away.

College Program at Cosmic Ray's January 2011-May 2011
Elmo9607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #29
annie1995

2 years ago coming home from our Disney trip, a little boy about 3 or 4 years old threw up 2 seats in front of us. I honestly wouldn't have known he had gotten sick if it weren't for the flight crews bringing a bag to put his stuff he got sick on into. I think with the noise of the engines, it helps drown it out. Now unless you have someone who is especially loud, or right next to you hopefully you won't notice a thing
Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #30
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

My oldest has a sore throat so I have to bring him to the doctor and there is always anxiety for me going there. Bound to be someone sick in the waiting room. Thank God for my Ipod! Although I have gotten much better hearing it on TV. Would not be able to handle my DH barfing in the bathroom but I can close my eyes and hear it on TV sometimes. When I was a kid I remember when I felt sick I would need complete silence in the room. I would yell for people to not talk or make any noise because it was a distraction. I was working so hard trying to convince my brain to not let it happen.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: