Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #31
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Quote:
Unfortunatley I am not the creative type, more that I just never have the time, always a desire but work, school, kids activities, housework just seem to always get in the way The boards have great design areas with lots of info, your idea sound really fun. I do love seeing everyone with matching t-shirts. I go as far as coordinating colours on days and my two DD's wearing matching outfits but that's about it
I have LOTS of great ideas.... but ahem I am still working on my scrap book of our first WDW trip, January 2007. so, yeah, finding the time to work on them is the real problem. Even ditching the housework doesn't help -- I've tried and all it does is frustrate you even more because then there's no room to work on your special projects!

We have never done the matching tee's before -- I just saw a few folks who did it here and it looks like a fab idea. I am only planning on making 2 for each of us, maybe a special 3rd for the birthday boy. One benefit will be the safety issue -- it will easy to identify each other. When we travel to crowded places--parks, zoos, etc -- we take a picture of Katie as soon as we arrive (or as soon as we know she is not changing her clothes ....again). Then if (G-D forbid) we lose sight of her, we have a photo of exactly what she is wearing that day. plus its great for those scrapbooks that I never get to work on.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #32
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Joining in!!!

First, thanks for posting on my TR! Second, a HUGE CONGRATS on your, and your DHs weight loss!!!! I am on WW as well and I'd LOVE your info that you discovered while going through the CS. I know of a few good options off the top of my head, but I'd love to see the results of your research. We do mostly CS, so this would be very, very handy!

I love the gift that you are getting your DH. Just thinking about how wonderful that is going to be brought tears to my eyes. The print from your sister is beautiful as well, what an incredible keepsake.

You are busy with your park planning, wow! Such detail! We have never really done a park plan-even during our NYE stay when I intended to use one...we didn't. The one thing I saw, that someone might have already commented on, was that getting on Dumbo in the afternoon CAN be a long wait-but isn't always. If that's a must, it's best to go their first after rope drop since the ride is popular and veryyyyyy slow loading. Plus, it's a very short ride, like 30 seconds short, so waiting in line for 20 minutes for 30 seconds isn't exactly everyone's idea of fun!

Does AK have PM EMH when you are there at all? It's pretty neat! There isn't a lot to do, but usually there is one more showing of FOTLK and EE is open, which is incredible at night!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #33
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Joining in!!!

First, thanks for posting on my TR! Second, a HUGE CONGRATS on your, and your DHs weight loss!!!! I am on WW as well and I'd LOVE your info that you discovered while going through the CS. I know of a few good options off the top of my head, but I'd love to see the results of your research. We do mostly CS, so this would be very, very handy!
Welcome & thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
You are busy with your park planning, wow! Such detail! We have never really done a park plan-even during our NYE stay when I intended to use one...we didn't. The one thing I saw, that someone might have already commented on, was that getting on Dumbo in the afternoon CAN be a long wait-but isn't always. If that's a must, it's best to go their first after rope drop since the ride is popular and veryyyyyy slow loading. Plus, it's a very short ride, like 30 seconds short, so waiting in line for 20 minutes for 30 seconds isn't exactly everyone's idea of fun!

Does AK have PM EMH when you are there at all? It's pretty neat! There isn't a lot to do, but usually there is one more showing of FOTLK and EE is open, which is incredible at night!
The first trip we took, I did a loose plan, and it was awesome. we got to see and do a lot, and never had to wonder "what's next". The second trip we took my SIL traveled with us and I didn't plan as much of the days because I didn't want her to feel pressured. As a result, we didn't get to do as much and spent more time than we preferred with the "what's next" game. DH is actually very happy that I have not only a basic plan for the day but also alternative options for if a park is too crowded or we are just tired or whatever.

Good to know about the Dumbo ride -- is it just cuz its inthe heart of little kid central? i may just pass on that if I see a big line, Katie is not keen on long lines anyway so she won't mind missing it.

Sadly at this point there are no PM EMH at AK .... I've read others reports about being there late and when we are there it closes by 5 at the latest.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #34
Moira222

Talking My counter service ratings

DH & I have been following weight watchers for almost a year now, and so while we want to indulge here and there at the world (can't wait to try those grey goose slushies!!) we don't want to sink a ferry, either!

In the past we found that the counter service places killed us - burgers, fried and breaded foods, etc. So we sat down & looked at the menus of all the CS locations at all of the parks and a few of the resorts. We looked on allears.net -- their restaurant menus list more items than we found on this site. We counted up how many "good choices" we could make for lunch at these places and gave it a point for each good choices. So, the more good choices (like salads, grilled foods over fried, foods not smothered in fat or cheese (even though we love cheese)

Here is our list

park/location CS Restaurant name rating
Animal Kingdom Flame Tree BBQ 3
Animal Kingdom Yak & Yeti 2
Animal Kingdom Tamu Tamu Refreshments 2
Animal Kingdom Restarantosaurus 1
Animal Kingdom Pizzafari 0
Beach Club BC Marketplace 5
Beach Club Hurricane Hannah's 4
Boardwalk Villa Boardwalk Bakery 5
DHS Studio Catering Co 5
DHS Backlot Express 3
DHS ABC Commisary 2
DHS Catalina Eddies 1
DHS Rosie's All American Café 0
DHS Toy Story Pizza Planet 0
DHS Starring Rolls Café 0
Downtown Disney Wolfgang Puck Express 15
Downtown Disney FoodQuest 3
Downtown Disney COOKE'S OF DUBLIN
Downtown Disney Earl of Sandwich
Epcot Sunshine Seasons 10
Epcot Yakitori House 9
Epcot Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe 5
Epcot Tangierene Café 3
Epcot Lotus Blossom Café 3
Epcot Electric Umbrella Restaurant 2
Epcot Cantina de San Angel 1
Epcot Liberty Inn 1
Epcot Yorkshire Co Fish Shop 1
Epcot Boulangerie Patisserie 0
Epcot Fountain View 0
Epcot sommerfest 0
Epcot Fie and Drum 0
Epcot Promenade 0
Magic Kingdom Cosmic Rays no (there were some good choices here but DH said he didn't want to go back so we didn't rate this one)
Magic Kingdom Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station 1 Lunch/ 3 dinner
Magic Kingdom Columbia Harbour House 5
Magic Kingdom El Pirata Y El Perico Restaurant 3
Magic Kingdom Main Street Bakery 3
Magic Kingdom Pecos Bill Tall Tale2 2
Magic Kingdom Pinocchio Village Haus 2
Magic Kingdom Casey's Corner 0
Magic Kingdom Lunching Pad 0
Wilderness Lodge Roaring Forks 6

hope this helps!!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #35
Moira222

Touring Hollywood Studios

I have been having so much reading everyone else's PTRs and TRs that I haven't updated mine. Plus I have been working on a freelance web project every night... all work and no play makes Mary Ellen very crabby (and sleepy too)

HS had me a little stumped...for most of the parks I could start in an area where we hadn't done a lot and then take it from there. but we had sort of bounced all over HS in the past with no clue as to everything there is to see. I was so amazed to see how much we had NOT done at this park! So, I turned to touring plans to see their recommendations, and then of course tweaked it to follow my own path. Probably not the most effective /fastest way to see everything but I know my family and traipsing back and forth from one end of the park to the other and back again just for shorter lines just won't work.

I also know that while I have pretty good plans set up for our first few days, the last few days are a bit looser -- more time to return to favorites and do the things we didn't squeeze in the first go round.

Tuesday May 17: Hollywood Studios Hollywood Studios 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. Get there 8:30
In DHS: Studio Catering (5); Backlot Express (3); ABC Commisary (2); Catalina Eddies (1); Rosies, ToyStory Pizza, Starring Rolls (0)

Obtain a park map and daily entertainment schedule when you enter the park. Note times for Beauty & Beast & Lights! Motors!
My dh just told me that he found somewhere on line where the entertainment schedule is posted a week or two ahead of time -- anyone know where that is? that would be great to know!!
Toy Story Mania! obtain FASTPASSes for Toy Story Mania.
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (FP)
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Unless the wait time exceeds 30 minutes, do not use FASTPASS.
See Beauty and the Beast. Check the daily entertainment schedule for show times.
The Great Movie Ride (Hollywood Blvd)
Muppet*Vision 3-D (streets of America) -- I can't believe we never did this!
Studio Catering Co. Flatbread Grill
Ride Toy Story Mania! using the FASTPASSes obtained earlier
Take the Backlot Tour.
**Check the time for the Block Party Bash @3
Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground
Lights! Motors! Action! is within 30 minutes, get in line to see the show otherwise get FP for next show (maybe wait in line while Katie plays)

Contemporary for 5pm dinner @ Chef Mickey's

Take the Magic of Disney Animation Tour.
Journey into Narnia
See the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #36
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Thank you for posting about the Counter Services!!! That is very helpful to me. The site with the entertainment schedules is http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/ I think it's updated weekly.

We always seem to bounce around a bit at DHS too, I think because the layout is so different...
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 02-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #37
Moira222

3 months to go

Three months to go....can I make it go faster somehow? Well, it is when I keep reading everyone else's TR's....its just living the dream vicariously.

Last night we watched a Disney World program on the Travel Channel. It just added to the anticipation as we watched others doing all the awesome rides and dinners that we have booked.

Katie is home with strep this weekend, so I am home too and it has given me time to catch up on trip reports and add to my own.

Do you like her "self portrait"? she looks AWFUL but to be fair she has strep and probably had a temp of about 101.5 when she took this. but here is one that she posed for:

This week's mail was full of fun Disney Stuff. yippee! First we got our Disney maps. so now we have something to pour over when we start talking rides and attractions.

I printed & glued my mousekeeping envelopes, and so will slowly start adding $ now so that I won't have to worry about it in May.

I received (and returned) the second pair of sandals that I won't be wearing to Disney . Bummer. But I did then find a nice pair for DD (apparently the IN color is no longer pink & purple, but light blue) and yet a third go round for me: . Here's hoping the third time is the charm!!

FInally on Friday I got my ebay pins!. We had a blast looking through them and picking our own personal fav's and then the ones we will be trading first. DH's are on the top, DD's are on the left, mine are upper right & the pile at the lower right are for immediate trading.

Of course DH picked only three pins because he really doesn't trade. though of course if we see one he likes, I will trade for him. In '07, he humored my trading. barely. In '09, Katie & I were both trading, and it was bugging him. and he was complaining about how one minute we'd be with him and the next we'd be 20 feet back trading pins with someone. UNTIL..... we were at the Kodak place in Epcot, having his very full memory card copied over to a CD so he could take more pictures. And WHAT do you think he spied on a CM's lanyard?
Did I mention that DH IS Mr. Incredible? So, once I, his beautiful, thoughtful, ever wonderful and charming wife traded a pin for him, he was shut down. No more griping about pin trading because he had been looking all over for Mr. Incredible, and now he had one.

So it was with his blessing that I ordered a lot of pins on e-bay so that we would come prepared with trades. The man knows when the battle is lost, what can I tell you?
Old 02-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #38
Moira222

Quote:
Thank you for posting about the Counter Services!!! That is very helpful to me. The site with the entertainment schedules is http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/ I think it's updated weekly.
Thanks Brooke! I checked this out, and its very helpful. I also didn't realize how much they'd changed the Play House Disney -- now its the dance party. cool. Katie insisted last time that she was "too big" for PHD but I think the dance party bit will convince her and I've added it to our trip plans.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #39
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Poor Katie! I hope she feels better soon. Strep is no fun at all.

Sorry to hear your shoes didn't work! I hope your new order is a go. I might buy a new pair before our trip too--thankfully I have Amazon Prime (2 day shipping) and a DSW near by.

Hilarious story about the pin trading! DH has no room to talk now!!!!

As for PHD, it's currently closed for a refurb. They are changing it over to Disney Junior, so they only thing they have going is the dance party during PM EMH. On March 6 it reopens with the new "Jake and the Pirates" show added and as Disney Junior (rebrand), the dance party will continue during PM EMH's. I hope that helps! I've heard GREAT things about the dance party, we plan to go this trip!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #40
laashley
DIS Veteran

Your DHS plans look good. I do have a question about the point system for weight watchers- what does it mean? Are the higher points better or worse?

Can't believe you have all your tip envelopes all ready, you are on the ball! I am always up till odd hours the night before getting everything together.

Hope Katie is feeling all better!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #41
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by laashley View Post
Your DHS plans look good. I do have a question about the point system for weight watchers- what does it mean? Are the higher points better or worse?

Can't believe you have all your tip envelopes all ready, you are on the ball! I am always up till odd hours the night before getting everything together.

Hope Katie is feeling all better!
My points are based on the number of "good choices" on the menu -- like salads, grilled chickenl lower fat foods. So a place like Pizza Planet has 0 because its all pizza ....now we love pizza, but its not exactly weight friendly. DH & I figre by reviewing menus ahead we can aim for at least one lighter meal a day...and save those calories for grey goose slushies!! (I would rather spend calories on a yummy frozen drink than a piece of cake.)

Lol making thing like tip envelopes is fun...I'll do that any day. The week before we leave I will be madly trying to clean up my disaster of a house so that our as yet undetermined dog sotter won't see the sad truth of my miserable housekeeping skills. (smileys are hard on my phone!)
Old 02-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #42
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Dear Mary Ellen,

I am so happy you signed our PTR so I oucld read about your beautiful fmaily. Praying Katie is feleing MUCH better, as you know strep is not a good thing for our CHD's children! She is such a pretty princess.

THREE MORE MONTHS!!! How exciting! I know it seems like it is a long way off; however, if you are like me you will blink and the time will be here and you will want just one more day to pack.

I hope the sandal choices get settled soon, feet comfort is THE most important concern when you are walking so much.

I loved the present you have gotten for your DH, where did you find it?

WAY TO GO on the weight loss, that is amazing, I am so happy for you and to get Joe to do it with you.

I am subbed, so I will get all the notices (at least I hope I do, sometimes they seem to stop for some reason and I have to unsubscribe and re-subscribe...I am certain it is my fault somehow, I am technologically challenged )
Old 02-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #43
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

PRINCESS

You are BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #44
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
PRINCESS

You are BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Judy - Katie will love that picture! I will show her tonight!

Once the antibiotics kicked in she was up to her usual antics. She has a wicked cough still but I think it also is fading. For as scared to death as we were when she was born, we are so thankful that her CHD really has been a minor fact of life. Its funny though - you know how some people only think about praying when things go wrong? Truly Katie's CHD helped bring me closer to God but in thankfulness. Before I had Katie I really hadn't been practicing anything, but had started "church shopping" right before and early in my pregnancy. After she was born I just became so much more aware of all the little every day blessings in my life, and am much more inclined to be thankful every single day for something, rather than be a "why me" sort of person. God truly gives you what you can handle, even if you don't know it at the moment. You just never know how the flapping wings of a butterfly may change your life.

oh there I go off on a little tangent. I'd better get to work now,I really just wanted to say welcome to my little PTR.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #45
AKL LOVER
Are we there yet??

Finally all caught up on your report. Don't you just HATE it when work and other stuff gets in the way of the DIS???

I wanted to comment on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira222 View Post
When we travel to crowded places--parks, zoos, etc -- we take a picture of Katie as soon as we arrive (or as soon as we know she is not changing her clothes ....again). Then if (G-D forbid) we lose sight of her, we have a photo of exactly what she is wearing that day. plus its great for those scrapbooks that I never get to work on.

...because we do this too! (Although I'm sure a lot of people do.) Also, on our first trip our kids were both so young (3 1/2 and 1) that I had ID tags made for them. I just used one of those make your own pet ID machines in Walmart. I put their first name only and both DH's and my cell phone numbers on them. It worked out well because they had a heart shaped Tinker Belle one for DD and a camo one for DS. I put DD's on the necklace chain it came with since she was older and would keep it on. I used a safety pin to pin on DS's each day to whatever he was wearing. We have used these on each of our trips since then. Even though DD is old enough (6 1/2) and now knows our telephone numbers, she is still going to wear hers in May! I figure it can't hurt--what if she got lost and was so upset that she couldn't remember our #s?? It may seem over protective, but I really worry about losing them in a place that is so packed full of people!

Good job with all your planning. I'm liking your ADR selections--you've got some yummy ones! I also feel the same way you do about planning for DHS, but it looks like you've got a good plan set up, so you should be good to go.

Can't wait to see more!

Tags
may 2011, pretrip report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: