DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #16
a742246
older than dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicalt104 View Post
Hi All
I am just back from Marathon Weekend, and finally decided (after 39 years in the parks) to sit down with a DVC rep yesterday. We have NOT signed just yet, and I'm feeling the pressure....
Any suggestions?? Is it worthwhile checking out The Timeshare Store first?
Thanks!!
Definitely check out the resale companies. Did you visit any dvc's yet?

Would you go to the theme parks every year?
What is your lifestyle like?
What type of vacations do you like?
What do you do on your vacation?
What is your favorite Theme park?
Now much in advance would you plan for vacation?
Can you take your vacation any time or what time of the year do you go?

There is a whole lot of questions you may like to ask yourself.

For me I prefer doing a split stay. I do the epcot resorts for the first
part, and OKW or SSR for the second part.

If you are a runner the only resort I would not reccommend is AKV there is no relaxing place to run around.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsoskil View Post
Keep in mind that DVC has the right to restrict you to your home resort and discontinue exchanges into other DVC resorts. I don't know if they ever would, but they have the right to do that.

Buy where you want to stay.
Very unlikely scenario, Not enough to even worry about IMO.
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #18
DenLo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybalt View Post
My husband and I are looking into buying DVC points. We are not sure whether we should buy the cheapest points with the lowest annual dues or whether we should buy points in the Board Walk or Beach Club since we love that area.

Does it matter where our "home" resort is? Is it difficult to get reservations in any of the resorts?
I too believe in buying where you want to stay. For example you going to book a very special trip and invite family to join you. Will you be disappointed that you can't get the resort you want at the 7 month mark? Or will any DVC resort do?

So far we have stayed only at BLT and BWV. I enjoyed staying at both, but prefer BLT. The location of BWV isn't as important to me as I thought it would be. But BLT's location is important.

Quote:
Hi All
I am just back from Marathon Weekend, and finally decided (after 39 years in the parks) to sit down with a DVC rep yesterday. We have NOT signed just yet, and I'm feeling the pressure....
Any suggestions?? Is it worthwhile checking out The Timeshare Store first?
Thanks!!
We have some points purchased resale and some direct. I would always check into the cost of purchasing both direct and resale first and then buy whichever gives me the best deal. However if the cost difference is only a couple hundred dollars I might still buy direct.

Also when buying resale consider the points available on the contract versus the points you get when buying direct. Sometimes the resale owner will have spent points into future years.

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #19
physicalt104
Princess since the '50s

Location: Part-time Long Island, NY; part-time Killington, VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by a742246 View Post
Definitely check out the resale companies. Did you visit any dvc's yet?

Would you go to the theme parks every year?
What is your lifestyle like?
What type of vacations do you like?
What do you do on your vacation?
What is your favorite Theme park?
Now much in advance would you plan for vacation?
Can you take your vacation any time or what time of the year do you go?
All great questions/advice! We do go to WDW at least once a year, with 2 large teen boys. We are locked into school vacations now, but that will change before we know it. I looked at the BLT model, and think that is the way to go- walking to the MK is such an enticement.
What do you all think??
(And thanks )
physicalt104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #20
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
All great questions/advice! We do go to WDW at least once a year, with 2 large teen boys. We are locked into school vacations now, but that will change before we know it. I looked at the BLT model, and think that is the way to go- walking to the MK is such an enticement.
What do you all think??
(And thanks )
That is why we bought in to DVC--they built BLT. We love that locations and the convenience to MK.

We go in the summer (I teach) so have to travel in Magic Season. The cost in points for a SV room are very similar to the other places we would stay--BWV, BCV, and VWL.

So, we spent the extra money and bought BLT so that we could get the SV rooms.

If we want to trade out, we can, but we know that we should always get BLT. We just traded out yesterday for the first two nights to BWV (2 bedroom, BW view) at 7 months, so staying elsewhere doesn't seem to be an issue.

However, had it not been available, I would have been perfectly okay with just staying at BLT.

And, if BLT is what you want, the resale market is there, but not to the extent it is for other resorts, so deciding between buying direct and resale becomes blurred. With Disney, you get current UY points automatically (may or may not with resale) and depending on how many points you buy, the price can come down within $10 - $15 of resale. For the quick and easy buy through Disney, it may make it worth it.

Of course, if there are other DVC resorts you are interested in, then resale is a great way to become a member and save money.

Good luck!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #21
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
What do you all think??
(And thanks )
While walking to the MK might be an enticement now....what about when the kids have flown the nest? We are in our 60's and the MK is the place we visit least at WDW. We much prefer the space and quiet, so our favorite resorts are OKW and AKV. OKW is our Vacation Home, and AKV is our vacation destination resort. We own points at both.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #22
DVCGeek
DIS Veteran

Even if you don't have a strong preference for what resort you stay at, if you usually plan to go to WDW I would at least buy in the cheapest (Based on total cost of ownership: factoring in up-front purchase price, length of contract, AND dues!) resort there. That way you can book @ 11 months someone in the World and change if/when you want. (i.e. don't consider HHI, Vero, AVH, or even VGC). If however you wanted to frequently go to DL, then strongly consider VGC as your home resort since it is the smallest DVC property and sometime people are already reporting difficulties book it @ 7 months out. If you plan to stay at multiple resorts, you could always go multiple smaller contracts like I have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
That is why we bought in to DVC--they built BLT. We love that locations and the convenience to MK.
Same here! I love the monorail and several MK attractions are family favorites {BTW, no human kids!}. Plus, easy walk to MK bus stop if we want to swing over to a different resort for a meal or just to visit. Plus, love the boat to WL, another fav or ours.

I like booking there @ 11 months and then sometimes trading out @ 7 if something is available since we eventually want to try all the resorts. If not, staying at our fav already so no harm done!

After that and our first stay @ the Grand Cal. hotel on developers points, addonitous kicked in BIG time!

I own the VGC points since we want to book @ 11 months for our (less frequent so we bank and borrow as needed to go once every 2 or 3 years) DL trips. The AKV & VWL ones are mainly funded & used by my parents; I made them associates on my membership and they LOVE staying @ VWL in winter and trying for value studios @ AKV in the summer to conserve points. I'd also like a shot at one of the 5 coveted concierge studios at least once, so AKV will benefit me at some point as well.

| | | Owner @ DVC's BLT, VGC, AKV, & VWL + D23 first day Charter Member | | |

Last edited by DVCGeek; 01-11-2011 at 10:01 AM.
DVCGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #23
physicalt104
Princess since the '50s

Boy, did I pick the right thread!!
DVCGEEK, DIANESCHLICT, SANDISW, DENLO, A742246,FINDINGFIGMENT, METSOSKIL

Thanks for the wisdom-
We are leaning towards buying something middle-of-the-road at BLT. If I can motivate my husband quickly, we can cash in on those incentives!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #24
mtw58
Earning My Ears

We go every Spring Break and I've never had a problem getting into BWV at the 7 month window.
mtw58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #25
MommyBell08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88golf88 View Post
I guess I am the odd one out, not unusual for me!!

My wife and I were not/are not concerned with resort we stay in. We were able to get in at OKW 2057 contract direct thru Disney, we couldn't pass up the price!

I understand why so many others agre that you need to buy where you love to stay, but that didn't apply to us. We have been lucky enough to get reservations at 4 different resorts at the 4-6month mark without any problem. I know that this isnt guaranteed to happen every time, but we will enjoy it while it does!!

We have the comfort of knowing that we will be able to book 11 months out at OKW and then switch at the 7 month mark if we want to and if we are able to.

Everyone buys for different reasons. We are relatively young and were estatic to get a contract that lasts until 2057 If you can't imagine staying anywhere buy BW or BC, than definitely buy there. But if you aren't as picky on where you stay, buy the best contract for you and your husband.

Good luck!!!
Sounds kinda like us. We were able to get a SSR contract for a steal, and for us, we will be happy staying at any of the DVC resorts. The difference in price was enough for us to be very happy with the SSR contract, and we will love anywhere we stay. Having said that, we are staying at AKL Kindani in a one-bedroom in March Cant wait! Good Luck with your decision. If Price is not an issue, and you have one resort you just love, then go with that, but if your are flexible with where you stay, and would like to save the extra cash, go with a less expensive contract!

ASMo'04*O.S.'06*POP'07*POP'09*CSR'09*AKV'11(KV)*AK V'12*OKW'12*AKV'14,SSR'14 OHANA

MommyBell08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #26
dvc_john
DIS Veteran

DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 2nd Place

While I generally agree with the 'buy where you want to stay' crowd, the one thing not mentioned is:

If you CANNOT or WILL NOT book more than 7 months out, then points are points, and factoring in lowest cost per point, lowest maintenance fees, and end date furthest out would make sense.

DVC nights stayed to date:
AKV 15, ARS 8, BCV 61, BLT 17, BWV 83, HH 64, OKW 198, SSR 30, THV 9, VB 28, VGC 20, VGF 4, VWL 52

dvc_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #27
adminjedi
I use my powers for good

Purchase price is not the only factor in cost of ownership. Be sure to include MF's when deciding where to own!

DVC MEMBER SINCE 2006
adminjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #28
physicalt104
Princess since the '50s

Green behind the mouse ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by adminjedi View Post
Purchase price is not the only factor in cost of ownership. Be sure to include MF's when deciding where to own!
Oh my- what is a MF?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #29
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Keep in mind that the 7 month booking rules could be changed if Disney wanted to. The only thing guaranteed in your purchase contract is that you can book at your home resort. I wouldn't think that Disney would change the booking rules but then again I didn't think that they would change the rules and limit us to only two wait lists and charge us $95 each time that we stay at a non-DVC resort.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #30
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Oh my- what is a MF?
Your annual dues that increase about 3% each year.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beach club, board walk, buying, home, points

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: