DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Tybalt
Mouseketeer

Question Does it matter which resort I buy points in?

My husband and I are looking into buying DVC points. We are not sure whether we should buy the cheapest points with the lowest annual dues or whether we should buy points in the Board Walk or Beach Club since we love that area.

Does it matter where our "home" resort is? Is it difficult to get reservations in any of the resorts?
Tybalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

I believe that if you have a place where you want to stay, then buy there. I would not recommend, simply for price, to buy a resort that you would not be okay staying at if you can't trade out to what you want at the 7 month mark.

We bought BLT because we knew that if we were forced to stay elsewhere, we would not be happy. We looked in to SSR as it would have saved us over $5000, but in the end, we just knew it would not make us happy.

We spent the money and own where we love. We have stayed at the BWV, BCV, and VWL, and BLT and BLT remains our favorite.

Now, if you would be okay owning at any resort and if your trades come through, great, if not, that is okay, then absolutely go for price.

There are very few times that you won't be able to find any availability elsewhere, but depending on when you go and what you want, it could be frustrating.

For example, both BWV and BCV are very tough to get in the fall during F & W. IF you don't own there, you will have little luck at 7 months. Nothing is impossible, but some things are less likely than others.

Certain room types are also very difficult unless you own at that resort. BLT SV rooms are in short supply, AKV concierge and value rooms difficult, and BW view and SV rooms at BWV, again, very tough to get.

December is a very popular DVC time because its lower points so many book their home resorts at 11 months. Trading out during this one can prove difficult.

Good luck!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
ChiSoxKeith
DIS Veteran

Agree with PP.

Buy where you want to stay. There are times of the year when you need that 11 month home resort advantage. Do you see your family booking a trip at Christmas, Thanksgiving, Spring Break, first week of December? If yes, then you need the home resort advantage.

Someone else had a thread going on around here about trying to book the BLT Standard View Rooms (first couple of floors, parking lot views, which are the lowest points). There are VERY few Standard view rooms at BLT and they go fast.
You would think the 60+ minutes I put into running the weekly photo contests would allow me to put a link in my signature letting people know about the Disney related iPhone projects I work on. You would be wrong.
ChiSoxKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
ELKHUNTER
Mouseketeer

I also agree with the PP. Just be sure you really know which one is your favorite resort. Go and tour each one and then decide, this way you will know for sure and not be judging each resort from someone else's opinion.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Buy where you want to stay. All resorts have certain time periods and/or certain room categories that are very difficult to get if you don't have the booking window advantage.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

I agree with all the previous posts.

If you could only stay at one resort each time you went, which one would it be? That is where I would buy.

Upcoming/planned trips:
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
mdsd8700
It's kind of fun to do the impossible

I completely agree with all the PP, each one had great advice. Not sure how many times you have been to WDW. We are new to DVC, just purchased this past summer, but have been going to DLR and WDW since 1997. So we actually purchased our DVC without ever having toured a single DVC property or talk with a sales rep. We had already stayed at all of the DVC hotels although just in regular hotels rooms. With the help of the internet we could see all the DVC villas and their layouts. We had been thinking of purchasing for yeas. We ended up with BLT due to the contract length and the location. After we purchased our points, we went to Doorway of Dreams to see the actual rooms and we were pleased with our choice. If you are not familiar with all the properties and their different themes/locations then try taking a tour on your next visit and doing as much research as possible (as it appears you have already started to do). There is a wealth of information on these boards and everyone really wants to help. Good luck with your decision.

All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome,
mdsd8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
88golf88
DisneyKid@27

I guess I am the odd one out, not unusual for me!!

My wife and I were not/are not concerned with resort we stay in. We were able to get in at OKW 2057 contract direct thru Disney, we couldn't pass up the price!

I understand why so many others agre that you need to buy where you love to stay, but that didn't apply to us. We have been lucky enough to get reservations at 4 different resorts at the 4-6month mark without any problem. I know that this isnt guaranteed to happen every time, but we will enjoy it while it does!!

We have the comfort of knowing that we will be able to book 11 months out at OKW and then switch at the 7 month mark if we want to and if we are able to.

Everyone buys for different reasons. We are relatively young and were estatic to get a contract that lasts until 2057 If you can't imagine staying anywhere buy BW or BC, than definitely buy there. But if you aren't as picky on where you stay, buy the best contract for you and your husband.

Good luck!!!

'82-'00--9 different trips to WDW,'01-Beach Club'03-Disney Land,'05-Disney Land
'07-Honeymoon--Wilderness Lodge '08-Disney Land,'09-GFlo-Concierge Upgrade

DVC Stays'10-BLT '11 2br@BLT!! '11 AKV/BWV (princess' first trip!!), '12 BLT/BWV

88golf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
ssnelle
Love Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
I believe that if you have a place where you want to stay, then buy there. I would not recommend, simply for price, to buy a resort that you would not be okay staying at if you can't trade out to what you want at the 7 month mark.

We bought BLT because we knew that if we were forced to stay elsewhere, we would not be happy. We looked in to SSR as it would have saved us over $5000, but in the end, we just knew it would not make us happy.

We spent the money and own where we love. We have stayed at the BWV, BCV, and VWL, and BLT and BLT remains our favorite.

Now, if you would be okay owning at any resort and if your trades come through, great, if not, that is okay, then absolutely go for price.

There are very few times that you won't be able to find any availability elsewhere, but depending on when you go and what you want, it could be frustrating.

For example, both BWV and BCV are very tough to get in the fall during F & W. IF you don't own there, you will have little luck at 7 months. Nothing is impossible, but some things are less likely than others.

Certain room types are also very difficult unless you own at that resort. BLT SV rooms are in short supply, AKV concierge and value rooms difficult, and BW view and SV rooms at BWV, again, very tough to get.

December is a very popular DVC time because its lower points so many book their home resorts at 11 months. Trading out during this one can prove difficult.

Good luck!

Totally concur. Buy where you want to stay!!!
ssnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
katieg376
Earning My Ears

Keep in mind you can reserve in your home resort sooner than another resort.
katieg376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

We have not found it diffcult in most situations to get exactly what we want at the 7 month mark. The only exception is HHI in the summer. We usually travel Spring Break and summer, though we have gone to WDW near Christmas and still got what we wanted. Some say BV at BWV is difficult but I have gotten it at the 7 month mark. I think the key though is to call right at the 7 month mark to maximize your success. We have been members since 2000, so we have booked alot of vacations.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #12
ssnelle
Love Disney

If I were going to do it 'all over again' I would probably buy at BCV or BWV, They are our favorite and the hardest to get into.
ssnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
physicalt104
Princess since the '50s

Location: Part-time Long Island, NY; part-time Killington, VT

Hi All
I am just back from Marathon Weekend, and finally decided (after 39 years in the parks) to sit down with a DVC rep yesterday. We have NOT signed just yet, and I'm feeling the pressure....
Any suggestions?? Is it worthwhile checking out The Timeshare Store first?
Thanks!!
physicalt104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
FindingFigment
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicalt104 View Post
Hi All
I am just back from Marathon Weekend, and finally decided (after 39 years in the parks) to sit down with a DVC rep yesterday. We have NOT signed just yet, and I'm feeling the pressure....
Any suggestions?? Is it worthwhile checking out The Timeshare Store first?
Thanks!!
At which resort would you like to own points?
FindingFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #15
Metsoskil
Citi Field, Rehoboth Beach, and WDW are my 3 favorite places.

Keep in mind that DVC has the right to restrict you to your home resort and discontinue exchanges into other DVC resorts. I don't know if they ever would, but they have the right to do that.

Buy where you want to stay.

WDW: Jul '91, May '93, Dec '99, Aug '07, Aug '08, Aug '09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Aug '10, Mar '11, Aug '11, Dec '11, Aug '13, Nov/Dec '13
Disneyland Paris: Aug '12
DCL: Jul '12 Magic NYC Weekend Getaway, Dec '13 Dream 3-night Bahamas
Upcoming Trips: WDW Jul '14, DCL Alaska - Wonder Aug '15
Metsoskil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beach club, board walk, buying, home, points

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: