Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #16
magichusky
Mouseketeer

DAY 1.1: Florida for the 1st time! Shades of Green!

DAY 1.1: Florida for the 1st time! Shades of Green!

Sorry for the delay- hopefully I still have some readers left! School has once again reared its ugly head and I'm completely despising it. But in other news, to expand on the last post, we're going to WDW AGAIN next year at the same time!!!! Apparently the parents enjoyed it so much that they require a redo. My Dad was discussing how it'll be so much easier "next time" since we'll know where everything is and how to get around and my Mom was chattering about how we have to make new ADRs pronto for Coral Reef and Le Cellier and also wants to reschedule another holiday sleigh ride! So she called SoG the other day and we have our same room booked for next year! She was actually too late to book one of their suites (whaaat in the Disney World! at that ridiculousness) which I was of course crossing my fingers for since who over the age of 10 wants to share a room w/ their parents?? But as I've said many a time, my sleeping arrangements aren't too much of a worry when I get to spend all day and night in the World!!

So back to Dec 17th. We actually left on time and evacuated crazy Los Angeles which turned out to be rather convenient since we missed the entirety of the biggest rainstorm southern CA has seen in years. Two straight weeks of pouring rain! Completely unacceptable. Plus when we returned to our house, the front yard was riddled w/ huge branches and all of my clocks in my apartment were blinking since the electricity had apparently gone out. Haha. Anyway we were airborne and screaming across the country in no time toward the promise land.

The flight was actually only 4 hrs! But it seemed longer b/c our seats were truly the tiniest things ever (we flew United). My knees were jammed into the seat in front of me and it was just awful. And of course the only kid making any sort of noise on the entire plane was seated directly behind me, running his mouth and kicking my seat so I couldn't go to sleep.

Most of the country was covered in clouds so I couldn't see anything interesting until...the Gulf!!!

OMG I SEE FLORIDA!!!!

OMG WE'RE LANDING IN FLORIDA!!!

OMG WE'RE IN FLORIDA!!!

Haha yeah I was so excited that I forgot about the whole turning off all electronic devices thing and took like 20 photos of us landing. Whoops.

It took forever for those darn people to disembark the plane and I was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to stalk David Boreanaz. They had prob been whisked away by the ME eons ago! SoG doesn't participate in ME so we had to hire a van. We stopped at the Publix to get a case of water and then we saw...the SIGN!

I felt so honored that our hotel was officially within the hot pink and purple confines of the Magic Kingdom:

We're here!

These pics were actually taken 2 days later on the 19th when it was dreary and overcast. When we pulled up to SoG it was happy and sunny!

I found this set-up terribly amusing and exclaimed each and every time I passed it by:

Care for a swim?

A-tennnnn-HUT!!!!

Checking in?

Care for a movie?

As I walked deeper into the lobby there arose such a clatter so I immediately had to investigate. It was a toy helicopter zooming over a quaint gingerbread village. I found the noisy copter funnily appropriate since this is a military resort:

Umm excuse me, I want to build a gingerbread village too!

I had requested our room to be lobby-level since I really hate dealing w/ elevators other than the tower, so I was more than pleased when we found ourselves swooshing down the hallway to our room, sans elevator.

Apparently we'll be seeing you next year, room 281!!

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST...
-In Progress- "I Don't Cruise… I Jingle Cruise." --A New Year's PTR--
Old 01-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #17
magichusky
Mouseketeer

DAY 1.1 continued

...DAY 1.1 CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST

Heather scoping out the place:

See this counter? Yeah. 5 min later it was a mountain of colorful toiletries. It snowed. There were avalanches, yetis, and goats.

Are you guys ready? 'Cause I am!!!!

A table.

Our view:

This was my corner. I refused to share a bed w/ my crazy sister b/c a few years ago we had to share a bed in another hotel and she randomly rolled over and punched out my pillow in her sleep! And my head was totally using that pillow! I was horrified.

My family was being the slowest and I was enraged at such ignorant behavior. Umm excuse me but I need to go to Epcot immediately. My Dad had to go get a beer or something so he would meet us at Coral Reef later for our dinner ADR. Meanwhile, in my haste I shoved the other two on this shuttle:

Onward!!!! What would our very first ride at WDW be and how was dinner?? And what's it like to see the castle for the very first time and trip over a bench??

TO BE CONTINUED...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #18
BabyFu18
DIS Veteran

Great trip report so far, I'm in!

We've stayed at SOG before and we really enjoy it, hoping to go back this summer. We've never been at Christmas time but, everything looks pretty though.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #19
UncleOrville
Mouseketeer

Loving the report! And what a delight that your parents are insisting on going back for another Christmas trip!

That SOG room looks really large and nice - I wouldn't mind sharing that room! Of course for my upcoming trip, my dad has decreed that I cannot share a room with him and my mom, so I will be bunking solo. Should be quite the indulgence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magichusky View Post
My family was being the slowest and I was enraged at such ignorant behavior. Umm excuse me but I need to go to Epcot immediately. My Dad had to go get a beer or something so he would meet us at Coral Reef later for our dinner ADR. Meanwhile, in my haste I shoved the other two on this shuttle
Hahaha, I can just see it now. And I would have done the same thing.

Quote:
And what's it like to see the castle for the very first time and trip over a bench??
Can't wait to find out! I kind of hope the first castle sighting and bench tripping are not related, just because it would be awesome to hear in a TR what it's like to trip over an ordinary bench.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #20
VBsHustla
DIS Veteran

Great pics of SoG! I'd never really seen it before, but it looks lovely. Your view is so pretty! I also like the waterfalls and their Christmas decor. That room is enormous compared to the Disney rooms! Your small corner looks just beautiful. I, too, have slept on many a couch (and even a bench at the GF haha) to avoid sharing a bed!

Can't wait to hear of your Epcot adventures! Even if you didn't successfully stalk any Norwegians
Next time I see you, I'm giving you a high five. 'Cause hugs are overrated, just FYI.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #21
Eight
Mouseketeer

First! Hurray for going back to Disney World next Christmas!! That's so awesome!

It only takes four hours to get from LA to Orlando? It takes like six hours from Seattle. I guess that makes sense since LA is way south of Seattle, but still.

I'm loving the snowman display with the flamingo reindeer. It's so ridiculous, it's amazing. I've never seen pictures of the SoG lobby before, but it looks pretty.

Quote:
This was my corner. I refused to share a bed w/ my crazy sister b/c a few years ago we had to share a bed in another hotel and she randomly rolled over and punched out my pillow in her sleep! And my head was totally using that pillow! I was horrified.
Haha, how does that even happen? That's terrifying, but from the perspective of someone who has never had that happen to them, also kind of hilarious.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:37 AM   #22
magichusky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFu18 View Post
Great trip report so far, I'm in!

We've stayed at SOG before and we really enjoy it, hoping to go back this summer. We've never been at Christmas time but, everything looks pretty though.
Thanks for reading!! I really love SoG- it's way nicer than I imagined! The Shady Shuttle became my favorite attraction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleOrville View Post
Loving the report! And what a delight that your parents are insisting on going back for another Christmas trip!

That SOG room looks really large and nice - I wouldn't mind sharing that room! Of course for my upcoming trip, my dad has decreed that I cannot share a room with him and my mom, so I will be bunking solo. Should be quite the indulgence.
Haha- yes I'm still rather surprised about our 2nd trip being scheduled pretty much immediately upon our return- I thought I was going to have to wait until I graduated and acquired a real job!! Pands is so hilarious- I wish my parents would kick me out of their room as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBsHustla View Post
That room is enormous compared to the Disney rooms! Your small corner looks just beautiful. I, too, have slept on many a couch (and even a bench at the GF haha) to avoid sharing a bed!
That's crazy- I would refuse to share a room any smaller than the SoG variety w/ 3 adults. I was being harassed the entire time about my length of showers and how I arranged my items on the bathroom counter. So ridiculous! And I'm glad I'm not the only one w/ bed sharing phobias. My sister is really far too disgusting to share even a large bed with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight View Post
It only takes four hours to get from LA to Orlando? It takes like six hours from Seattle. I guess that makes sense since LA is way south of Seattle, but still.
Wow- 6 hrs is a pretty big deal! I've never really thought about it but Washington is pretty far away. I was considering driving up to Portland for an Amazing Race audition and it's like a 15 hr drive!

Quote:
I'm loving the snowman display with the flamingo reindeer. It's so ridiculous, it's amazing.
I know right?? I totally went bananas over the 8 tiny flamingdeer. The flamingdeer in the very front even has a red beak.

Quote:
Haha, how does that even happen? That's terrifying, but from the perspective of someone who has never had that happen to them, also kind of hilarious.
HAHA I have no earthly idea! I was just stunned. And when I investigated and discovered she had been asleep during the entire attack I was even more stunned!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #23
magichusky
Mouseketeer

DAY 1.2: Falling over a bench. Trapped in Mouse Gear!

DAY 1.2: Falling over a bench. Trapped in Mouse Gear!

Oh dear- it's been so long! I'm preparing for this thing at school called the qualifying exam; passing it officially turns you into an official Phd candidate! Plus I get a raise. I decided that avoiding the DIS until I take my exam in early April is ridiculous and stupid, so I have returned! Plus I've been pining for Disney World in particular for the past few days. Even my parents are pining! I'm so proud.

Last time we left off we had just arrived at Shades of Green. My Dad was in want of a drink of some sort so he disappeared (people disappearing somehow becomes a strong theme during this trip). I was aghast at my Mom and sister's combined lethargy so I threw them onto the "Shady Shuttle":

SoG is actually only about a 10 min walk to the Poly, however the Shady Shuttle gets you there in a preferable 2 min. Once you reach the edge of SoG property, you sprint across the road and down this lovely path toward the Poly dock:

That pic was actually taken on the 19th as we were walking back from MK. And remember when I wrote that people disappearing was a recurring theme for this trip? There's my Mom and Heather disappearing into the horizon.

Once we arrived at the dock (where we would be departing from for our Wishes cruise on the next night, Sunday 12/19) I practically exploded b/c we could see this neon purple thing burning in the distance...THE CASTLE!!!!

I was so ensconced w/ my view of the castle that I refused to exert any extra energy navigating and didn't notice myself zooming up to this randomly (and rather stupidly in my opinion) situated wrought iron bench:

(You can also see the windows of 'Ohana in that pic, where we ate breakfast on Thursday, 12/23!) Upon running into the bench I straight up doubled over and practically said hello. "Oh my goodness, excuse me!" If it hadn't been for my extreme agility and coordination I certainly would've rolled into the water. I looked up and saw my Mom and Heather standing there, just staring at me w/ blank expressions on their faces. In extreme pain and indignation, I darkly inquired why they hadn't alerted me that I was dangerously close to a bench- I would've done the same for them! Still expressionless, they insisted that they thought I saw it. Why would anyone run towards a bench???

We headed into the main building and were totally confused trying to find the monorail. We finally decided we should probably walk up the stairs. There were so many people streaming into 'Ohana for dinner that I almost thought we were dining there as well! Somehow we eventually made it on the monorail and I had my face practically plastered to the window as we passed through the GF and approached the MK. Suddenly we rounded a bend and our car was instantly totally irradiated by blue and purple- THE CASTLE UP CLOSE!!!! I was sincerely surprised and started screaming. We all began exclaiming that it was even huger and "purpler" than initially anticipated. Everyone else in our car, the old, wise, and hardened WDW vets they probably were, were gazing at the floor and ceiling in boredom. I'm fairly certain that our fellow monorailers thought we were completely insane.

Transferring to the TTC and then to the Epcot line pretty much seemed to us like the most complicated thing ever. Explaining to Col. Joy how to get there was going to be impossible. Sometimes I am perplexed that that man used to be a marine. I was also disgusted by the high-tech fingerprinting process you have to go through at the turnstiles. I don't want to touch that thing! DL certainly doesn't fingerprint its guests. Isn't that illegal or something?

Anyway, I insisted upon having a photoshoot immediately upon entering the park:

Even though they were in WDW for the first time ever, the only thing my Mom and Heather could think to do was to go shopping. I was in too much of a food coma to build up to my usual state of irritation, so we headed off to Mouse Gear.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST...
Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #24
magichusky
Mouseketeer

...day 1.2 continued from previous post...

...DAY 1.2 CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST...

Within the first ten minutes I picked up a festive Christmas plaid bag and hot pink neoprene Mickey Mouse camera case:

Unfortunately, Mom and Heather weren't quite as quick. However, I was pleased to catch the usually grumpy Heather getting into the holiday spirit:

An hour later, we were still shopping 'til we were dropping. My Mom was deciding between 2 types of plush Tinker Bell dolls for my niece and by that time I was so hungry that I imagined launching both dolls into a nearby Christmas display. Heather purchased a black, glittery WDW t-shirt and I eventually convinced my Mom that we could find an appropriate Tinker Bell at the World of Disney Store in DTD the next day.

Once we all stumbled out of Mouse Gear we still had around 30 min 'til our 8:45pm ADR at Coral Reef. A ride perhaps? But which one should have the honor of being our very first WDW attraction??? My mom reminded me that I had been babbling about Figment for months. That's right! Off to the Imagination Pavilion.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the pavilion since it was terribly dark in that area. After figuring out where it was, we immediately walked onto the ride. My Mom and Heather were perplexed but I was laughing my head off the whole time. My fav part was probably Figment's upside down hot pink bubble bath. I was pleased that the gift shop sold post cards featuring this great scene:

In addition, I ran over to the wall of plush Figments and picked out the Figment w/ the best facial expression:

We emerged from our imaginations, me clutching my new purple friend, and my Dad called us; he was apparently at the TTC and almost here. We still had some time to kill before dinner and noticed that Nemo lived right next door to the Coral Reef, so we ran inside and in about a minute were seated in our clammobiles. We all agreed that it was a cute little ride and approved, especially of the backgrounds of live fish.

By this time, my Dad was waiting for us outside the restaurant and had already checked in. I was unfortunately way too starving to even snap a pic of my fav, Gill, outside the ride entrance. Oh well- guess you'll have to wait 'til next Christmas, Willem Dafoe!

Stay tuned for a review of our rather astounding Coral Reef dinner and... super-waiter! See ya real soon! (I promise)

TO BE CONTINUED...
Old 02-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #25
Eight
Mouseketeer

Hey, an update!

I really think I need to look at a map of WDW because I had no clue that SoG was that close to the Poly.

I love your description of your seeing the castle in the monorail. Every time I go to Disney World, it's like, "woah, it's so big! and pretty!" Sleepy Beauty's Castle just seems so small in comparison.

And I love Loki modeling your bag.

Looking forward to hearing about Coral Reef.

Edit:
P.S.
Is it cool if I quickly mention I started my TR? You can find it here.

Last edited by Eight; 02-20-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:33 AM   #26
pkdof
Mouseketeer

Love your report so far. We were on the same flight LAX to MCO and also saw DB on the plane.

Beach Club Resort - December 2011
Beach Club Resort - Spring 2011
Royal Pacific Resort and Beach Club Resort - December 2010
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Spring 2007
Grand Floridian - Summer 2001
Old 02-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #27
VBsHustla
DIS Veteran

How on earth can one possibly spend over an hour in Mouse Gear?! That's quite impressive, but I definitely would have stormed out after about ten minutes! Glad you liked Figment and that you gave it the honor of being your very first attraction! What a ride!
Next time I see you, I'm giving you a high five. 'Cause hugs are overrated, just FYI.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #28
ToonTagTrolleyDollie
Brunette on the outside, Blonde on the inside!

hey just found your thread and ive just caught up Loving the arts and crafts you did before hand, i may just have to invest in some pom poms and glitter glue
Cant wait to read on!

Much Love
Old 02-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #29
UncleOrville
Mouseketeer

Woot, so pleased that Figment was your first ride! Definitely one of my favorites!

I also can't believe you spent so much time in Mouse Gear. Too bad you didn't know your way around at that point - I def would have been out of there about an hour earlier.

I do love that camera case you got! I am hoping they are still there this week; will certainly pick one up if they are!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #30
em6668
Mouseketeer

Great So Far

I was sent to this report by VBsHustla on twitter. I was not steered in the wrong direction. Really enjoying it so far. Hopefully things will settle down in real life so you can continue.

Tags
christmas, crt, cruise, sleigh, sog

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: