Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #91
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Location: ...just beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Great new update!

First off the food at the beginning sounds delish...it is making me hungry

on leaving family and your lovely dogs but at least you knew they were in safe hands with your mum...like you said they feel like it's their second home. Hope you didn't miss them too much.

I love TomTom as well...am rotten with directions so it is my saviour First time I have heard someone give it a name though...will have to keep that in mind

Am not a fan of true blood but know plenty of people that are...may have to give it a second chance and try watching it again at some point.

Also glad you kept that sign pic that did not work out as it looks super cool.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys decide to do...as usual you leave us on another cliffhanger! Think I am getting used to them...am not as as the first one lol. I am going to guess that you continued to but I could be wrong...will wait and see.

TanzUnited99
I love Christmas dinner! It's definitely my favorite meal of the year!

It was hard leaving everyone, but I was okay once I called and checked in a few times! My dogs love their Grandma, so they were happy to spend the week with her!

I am horrible with any kind of directions! I think a lot of people only use their GPS when they travel long distances but I am definitely one who uses it practically everyday!

It took me awhile to greally get into True Blood. I had to get over the initial shock that it was SO intense, but now I am addicted. If you can sort through all of the raunchiness, it has pretty interesting story lines!

Stay tuned! I will be updating very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE View Post
I know exactly what you mean about the sillyness that comes with being in a car for hours! It happens to me too. Normally around 6 hours in to a trip I become "dilerious".

I can't wait to see what you decide to do!
That's a good way to describe it! Everything becomes so hilarious and you find yourself giggling uncontrollably!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
Look at you updating regularly! I should follow your example!

I'm glad that you were able to get out of the snow safely! I don't like driving even when there are flurries! Lately, all we've been getting is snow. I'm thinking we might get another snow day on Wednesday if we're really hit bad again (although it won't be as bad as the 23 inches we got during Christmas break!).

It's so good that you can watch DVDs in the car and not have any issues. I get a little motion sickness when I look down too long. I'm hoping there won't be any issues on Amtrak as I intend on watching DVDs, reading my nook, and maybe grading papers (haha, we'll see if that actually happens).

OoO, to the fainting at the amusement park! Do you know when you're going to faint or do you just collapse without warning? I've fainted many times in my life, but after that first time of fainting in the 7th grade, I'm usually aware that it's going to happen and can tell someone.

Curious to know what you end up doing!
I know, I'm so proud of myself! I'm hoping I can keep these daily updates going for awhile, but work makes it hard!

23 INCHES OF SNOW?! I can't even imagine that! If we get one or two inches down here the entire world shuts down. School was cancelled today and the snow didn't even really start until after lunchtime!

I love watching DVDs and reading in the car; usually the only problems I have are neck pains from looking down for so long! I bet you would be able to handle it on Amtrack because I would imagine it would be a smoother ride than in the car.

I can definitely tell when I'm about to faint. I get tunnel vision and I can hear my heart pounding in my ears. I usually can stop myself if I sit down immediately, but sometimes I can't. Once I fainted getting out of the shower, and that was really scary. John was home and he was in the other room, and I yelled for him right before I blacked out. I woke up lying on the bed with him standing over me looking terrified. I don't know what would have happened if he hadn't been there, because I don't think there are many soft places to land in the bathroom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
Sorry, double post! I'll leave a double comment then!

I love how your mom had to call to make sure you guys were a-okay. That's how my mom is too! I still call her in the morning when I get to work. I've been calling her when I arrive at my destination since I started borrowing her cell in college, haha. I did it when I went to the city for worship team practice at church or coffeehouse practice. And like I said, I still do it now!
That's okay, I like double comments!

That is so cool, I call my mom every single morning when I get to work! I'm glad I'm not the only person who does that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildAtHeart82 View Post
Glad you made it out of the snow! We do the same thing with our GPS. We have it set to the female Australian voice, named Karen. We talk to her as we go and I definitely enjoy seeing our estimated arrival time tick down.

Waiting eagerly to see what you all decided!
I haven't tried the female Australian voice...anything is better than the American female! She is so annoying.

Stay tuned! There is an update coming soon!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #92
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy161 View Post
What a great distraction to have the portable DVD player! I'm glad that you were able to make it out of the snow before things got worse. I can't wait to hear what you decided to do and I'm even more excited to read about your arrival to Disney!!!
Yes, the portable DVD player was definitely a life saver...for me and John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralexander97 View Post
WHOO HOOO your almost to Disney! I am an avid True Blood Fan, you just cant help but love Sookie. The second season did get a little silly but I still love it. You will love the third season, maybe save it for your next Disney trip. Thank you for updating and taking me to a happy place after a bad day at work.
I love Sookie too! Although I feel like she needs to tone down the Southern accent a little bit sometimes. I am so glad my updates help make your day better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
I think I would have a hard time staying somewhere else and being so close to POP! and WDW all together...I am a very restless traveler too!!
I'm glad I'm not the only restless traveler out there! I need to tell John this, because I drive him nuts in the car!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #93
rootbeer momma
Earning My Ears

I am envious of how short your drive to Disney is!! It takes us 17 hours and with a 2 year old and a 1 year old it is a very long 17 hours. I am also a huge True Blood fan!!! I can't wait til season 3 comes to Netflix.
And as for the snow... Yuck, yuck, yuck
Willow 8/10/09
Rowan 8/10/09-8/12/09
Lyla 11/10/11-11/10/11
Old 01-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #94
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

I'll sleep in a dumpster as long as I'm at Disney!

Well, John and I had an important decision looming over our heads: do we stop now, or keep going to Disney? Neither one of us could really stand the thought of being in the car for even five more minutes, and the lady at Disney said it would be $174.99 for ONE NIGHT at POP (), so we decided to stop somewhere cheaper near Orlando. Honestly, we probably would have paid the money for POP if we knew we were going to be able to stay in the room we checked into, but since we would have to move our stuff anyway we decided it wasn't worth the extra cash.

We ended up stopping at a SpringHill Suites that was less than thirty minutes from WDW. With John's military discount the room was only $80, which is a lot less than $174.99! It was after 1am by the time we checked in and got to our room, so I took a few pictures for my TR, got a quick bath, and went straight to bed.

We had originally planned on waking up around 5:30 or 6, but the human body can only take so much and I guess we'd reached our limit. We woke up at 7 the next morning. I hopped in the shower while John packed the car. Everything was fine and dandy while he had something to keep him busy, but then when he finished and I was still getting ready idle hands took over, because he started looking at my iPhone wait time app and reporting to me that there was ALREADY a pretty long wait for rides at Magic Kingdom. He wasn't trying to stress me out, but that's what he ended up accomplishing. I knew that MK was opening at 7 that morning because of EMH so we were already late. We still had to get to POP and check in, and it was already after 7:30!

We hurried up and checked out of the hotel as fast as possible. We were pulling out of the parking lot at 7:45 and were back on 1-4 at 7:47. I took a picture of the sky as we were driving because the clouds looked very ominous. However, I had checked the weather on my phone and it was supposed to clear up later, so I wasn't really worried about it.

In what seemed like a matter of seconds I started seeing the exit signs for WDW! We knew that POP was in the Epcot resort area, so we took the exit toward Epcot. I started to worry because I knew that some entrances to the World came through the big signa and some didn't. Then, before I knew what had hit me, I saw THE SIGN!

I know the GPS dock kind of wrecks the ambiance, but still, what a gorgeous sight! I literally could not believe that after a looooong year and a half I was finally pulling into the greatest place on Earth! I was still feeling a little cruddy from my head cold and I was tired from my short night's sleep, but all of that instantly melted away when we drove under that beautiful arch!

We were on a mission at this point: get to POP as fast as possible, check in, and get to MK before it filled to capacity! I resisted the urge to take a million pictures of random trees and signs in WDW and didn't start taking more pictures until we were sitting at the red light waiting to turn left into POP.

I was so excited to stay here for the first time! The only value resort I had ever stayed at before this trip was ASMo, and while it was pretty nice, it definitely wasn't my favorite. I had heard so many great things about POP and I couldn't wait to check it out for myself!As we pulled into the parking lot I immediately fell in love with the larger than life Disney look that seems to dominate the value resorts. We parked our car and hopped out and while we walked to the lobby I snapped a few more pictures.

When we entered the lobby I had a "duh!" moment: I had completely forgotten there would be Christmas decorations everywhere! The first thing I saw when we walked in was the huge Christmas tree. It was gorgeous! I had to take a picture of that and the giant wreath on the wall before we headed over to the online check in line.

Okay, I'm not sure if I will use online check in again. This was my first time using it, and I was not very happy with it. I did it because I've heard it's way faster, but I ended up waiting for what seemed like FOREVER. I was the only person in the online check in line, but the CMs kept taking the regular registration people before me. I stood there for about ten minutes before it was finally my turn.

The CM who helped me was named Melissa and she did not seem very happy. I can't really blame her because I don't think I'd be too happy about working early in the morning the day after Christmas either. Regardless, it did make my first experience with a CM a little disappointing. The check in process started pretty quickly, but then Melissa spent about ten minutes staring at her computer screen and not saying a word. I think she could tell I was getting a little restless because she finally told me she was trying to get us into a king room. After another few minutes she told us we couldn't have a king bed unless we downgraded from a preferred room! I was so upset. Even though I knew it wasn't a guarantee, I figured since I had requested a king room EIGHT MONTHS AGO I would kind of be at the top of the list to get one. I asked her if she was completely sure there were none available and she went back to clicking away on her computer. I stood there and thought it over for a minute or two and finally told her not to worry about it, two double beds would be fine. As much as I wanted a king bed I wasn't willing to waste anymore of my Disney time trying to get one.

Once we got over that hurtle the rest of the check in process went quickly. We weren't surprised to learn that our room wasn't ready yet, since it wasn't even 9am. We gave her my cell phone number so they could text us the room number later and grabbed our welcome packet and said "au revoir" to ol' Melissa. Determined not to let this mess up my morning, I rushed with John to the food court to get our resort mugs that were free with the deluxe dining plan.

As soon as our mugs were filled with caffeinated goodness we hit the road for Magic Kingdom! We had a date with some amazing rides, lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern, and the Wishes Dessert Party!

Up Next: Would we make it to Magic Kingdom before it reached capacity? Stay tuned to find out!

Last edited by therussells08; 01-10-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #95
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer momma View Post
I am envious of how short your drive to Disney is!! It takes us 17 hours and with a 2 year old and a 1 year old it is a very long 17 hours. I am also a huge True Blood fan!!! I can't wait til season 3 comes to Netflix.
And as for the snow... Yuck, yuck, yuck
Yikes! I can't imagine being in the car for that long, especially with young children! How do you usually break up your drive down? I would need at least two days I think!

Yay! Another True Blood fan! I think there are way more Truebies out there than I originally realized!

No kidding about the snow...I'm sick of it!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #96
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

First, before I comment on your update, let me just say that I LOVE Eric on True Blood, long hair or not! He's my favorite character on the show! I was just so upset watching Pam cut his hair off that first episode of Season 2! I got used to it, though!

Anyway, great update! I'm surprised you didn't stay at Pop your first night, but then again, paying $80 for a room is a lot different than $179! I can't believe that's what they charge for values in peak season, that's just crazy!

Pop looks like so much fun! If I ever go back to a value again, it will be Pop, or the new Animation resort! I have only stayed in ASMu and like you said, it was nice, but nothing special. And I didn't like the location, which is actually making me nervous about AKL, since it's even farther away than the AS resorts...

I can't believe they were taking regular check in people in the online check in line! I've used it twice now and really liked it, it's too bad you didn't have a good experience!

Hope you made it to MK in time!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 01-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #97
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

I guessed wrong but sounds like you made the right decision to stop off outside of Orlando...means you could spend more money in the happiest place on earth!

Great first few pics of Pop. on not getting the king room and the amount of time you had to wait at check in - have heard mixed reviews of this v check in on arrival.

Hoping you managed to get into MK, the weather cleared and you enjoyed your meal and wishes

Last edited by TanzUnited99; 01-10-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #98
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Oops double posted. Sorry.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #99
Cat0727
I am used to crowds and yielding to others all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
First, before I comment on your update, let me just say that I LOVE Eric on True Blood, long hair or not! He's my favorite character on the show! I was just so upset watching Pam cut his hair off that first episode of Season 2! I got used to it, though!
Oh gosh, who else died laughing when Eric was getting his highlights done? I just love him!

Yikes, $179? You guys made a good decision! But horray for finally checking into Pop and being at Disney! Pop is our favorite, it's our home away from home

Looking forward to hearing what you thought of LTT! I've been wanting to go there for lunch.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #100
luckylady
DIS Veteran

It is a long drive from NC. Great price for one night. Been to Carowinds, it's not to bad as long as you keep reminding yourself this is not disney. I had to do that 2 years ago. They do have some great rollercoasters if your into them(I'm not but DD is.) Can't wait to hear about your first day. Oh we got 8 inches of snow that storm. Todays brought 4 1/2
Old 01-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #101
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

I guessed you drove through to Disney too, but it sound like you made the right decision. It seems like online check-in is hit or miss for shorter wait times. It also seems like the more of a hurry you're in, the more likely you'll have a longer wait.

The clouds did look ominous that morning. I hope y'all made it in. I'm looking forward to seeing if we crossed paths that day without realizing it.

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #102
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Wow - I can't believe that price for Pop! I think you definitely made the right choice. I'm sorry you didn't get the king bed you requested. After two stays at mods with double beds, I think we'll be requesting a king on our next stay, too. The doubles work just fine, but a king would be so nice.

I hope MK isn't too crowded by the time you get there!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #103
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh gosh, who else died laughing when Eric was getting his highlights done? I just love him!
LOL of course, that was great! I also loved when he was talking to Arlene's kids and said "goodbye tiny humans" (or something like that!) and flew away! I can't wait for that show to come back on!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #104
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

That doesn't seem very magical to me I would have checked back in the lobby about the room when you returned but I guess if you don't mind 2 beds, that's fine. I wonder where the non-preferred room would have been? I've been in standard rooms and have been in building 10 and 6 with standard rooms which are in the same building as preferred so that would have been curious to see where it was!

Hopefully you make it to MK before it closes!!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:41 AM   #105
lauren_elizabeth
Disney World Lover

YAYYYY! Yall made it to Pop! Seeing all of your pictures makes me so happy. We've stayed at Pop the last 3 trips to Disney and it just feels like "home" to me! Love it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: