Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Diet and anti-inflamatory properties?

Does anyone have any first person accounts of how what they ate affected the anti-inflammatory properties of pain, especially arthritis? Does anyone have experience that a vegetarian diet, for instance, lowered inflammation? Two days ago, it just happened that I didn't eat any meat all day, I never thought of it. Then, when I woke up yesterday, my lower back, which has been painful from disc disease, arthritis, etc. felt better. When I realized I hadn't eaten meat, I decided to try again yesterday, and sure enough, my back is still a little better today. Is this the case with anyone else? Could there be any other foods besides meat (I'm not sure about being a vegetarian) that I could avoid to reduce inflamation naturally?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

I have people in my family who swear by gluten free (and even better yet--Paleo) diet to help with inflammation.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Maleficent Dragon
šoš A wondrous future lies before you! šoš

I have used this and it works.

1 a day - Glucosamine–chondroitin
Flax Seed Oil
Zinc
Ginger
and equal mix in your own capsules of Turmeric and Ginger

As far as foods: Kale, Squash, Blueberries, sh!take Mushrooms and Ginger.

If you like Ginger, you can drink ginger water and it will work.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

I second the gluten free and grains. I havean inflammatory disease and know when I don't eat the breads, cereals, carbs, etc., my joints and aches and pains are much better. The problem is sticking to it!
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

I suffered from joint pain that was worsening as time went on - started in my knees, then my hips, elbows, lower back, neck... you name it.

I started eating gluten-free (to lose a few lbs.) and low and behold, as an added bonus, all my pain went away. And I mean ALL OF IT. My elbows were so painful that it was difficult for me to wash my hair, for example. Now it's completely gone. I'm amazed at how good I feel and really shocked that I was living with so much pain every day and considering that "normal."

I'm at the point where I'm trying to see how much gluten I can have before the pain comes back. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but the thought of living my life without ever having a piece of bread or a cookie is disheartening to say the least.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy

Currently reading: #32 The Girl You Left Behind

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
LisaR

Over the years, I have tried many different ways of eating mainly because my son is plagued with horrible allergies and everything seemed to make him swell up. In that time, I was also able to see what made me feel good and bad. I have arthritis in both of my shoulders, two fingers, one ankle, and one toe.

We went gluten free for well over a year, went back to eating wheat, went gluten free again years later, and now we are not gluten free but we rarely eat wheat. I didn't notice any difference with my arthritis or my son's allergies when we were gluten free.

We went through a big meat eating phase. Meat was the one thing my son loved and it seemed to cause him the least amount of allergy type problems. I was vegetarian for years before that and I did not do well eating meat. I had a ton of joint inflammation and stomach problems. My son also developed some other issues not related to allergies.

We got rid of almost all processed foods, dyes, and preservatives. Huge difference in my son. No big difference for me.

We switched to a plant based lifestyle five years ago and we also eliminated all oil. We don't eat prepackaged food. The difference in our entire family has been huge. Besides the incredible drop in cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure for my DH and I, my son is like an entirely new person. His hives have almost disappeared and many of his Asperger symptoms completely disappeared! For me, my joint issues completely subsided until I did something stupid last year and injured one of my shoulders. Physical therapy has helped tremendously. I have been told surgery would be best but I am avoiding it. Considering how bad the injury is, I do not have near the pain the doctors think I should have. I know this way of eating isn't for everyone, but for my family the health benefits are too long to list and too positive to ignore.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

I have osteoarthritis in my thumbs and lower back. I eat gluten free and sugar free. Whenever I cheat and have bread or dessert, I pay for it mightily with swelling and back pain for the next 24-36hours. I also take 6-9 fish oil pills a day. Works like a charm. Just went to Disneyland yesterday for 12 hours and had zero back pain as I made sure to lay off sugar several days prior.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom
Does anyone have any first person accounts of how what they ate affected the anti-inflammatory properties of pain, especially arthritis? Does anyone have experience that a vegetarian diet, for instance, lowered inflammation? Two days ago, it just happened that I didn't eat any meat all day, I never thought of it. Then, when I woke up yesterday, my lower back, which has been painful from disc disease, arthritis, etc. felt better. When I realized I hadn't eaten meat, I decided to try again yesterday, and sure enough, my back is still a little better today. Is this the case with anyone else? Could there be any other foods besides meat (I'm not sure about being a vegetarian) that I could avoid to reduce inflamation naturally?
Sugar makes my back and neck issues flare up. I didn't put it together until my Chiropractor asked me about my sugar intake.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using DISBoards
Old 05-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
Over the years, I have tried many different ways of eating mainly because my son is plagued with horrible allergies and everything seemed to make him swell up. In that time, I was also able to see what made me feel good and bad. I have arthritis in both of my shoulders, two fingers, one ankle, and one toe.

We went gluten free for well over a year, went back to eating wheat, went gluten free again years later, and now we are not gluten free but we rarely eat wheat. I didn't notice any difference with my arthritis or my son's allergies when we were gluten free.

We went through a big meat eating phase. Meat was the one thing my son loved and it seemed to cause him the least amount of allergy type problems. I was vegetarian for years before that and I did not do well eating meat. I had a ton of joint inflammation and stomach problems. My son also developed some other issues not related to allergies.

We got rid of almost all processed foods, dyes, and preservatives. Huge difference in my son. No big difference for me.

We switched to a plant based lifestyle five years ago and we also eliminated all oil. We don't eat prepackaged food. The difference in our entire family has been huge. Besides the incredible drop in cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure for my DH and I, my son is like an entirely new person. His hives have almost disappeared and many of his Asperger symptoms completely disappeared! For me, my joint issues completely subsided until I did something stupid last year and injured one of my shoulders. Physical therapy has helped tremendously. I have been told surgery would be best but I am avoiding it. Considering how bad the injury is, I do not have near the pain the doctors think I should have. I know this way of eating isn't for everyone, but for my family the health benefits are too long to list and too positive to ignore.
Would you mind giving an example of meals for a few days? I'm interested in seeing if this is possible for us.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Yep. Here is a site that explains it and gives the "inflammation index" of the food you are eating. I don't monitor this but I know it exists.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/help/inflammation
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Absolutely!!!!

I went gluten free a year ago for arthritis pain. I can't take many medications because I am so very sensitive to them. Advil knocks me out--- as in, asleep for hours.

So I tried the GF way and in three days time I saw a huge difference in how I felt. HUGE.

Stayed on that diet like I said for a year. Then like you one day I didn't have meat at all and woke the next day with much decreased pain so I looked into it. I began eliminating things out of my diet that I found could cause inflammation in our bodies. What I have taken out of my diet with HUGE results are: Red meat, pork, processed meats, peanut butter (other nut butters are ok), chocolate (I know, hard!) Nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant) along with gluten.

I now eat a lot of vegetables. Lots. When I feel like I really need a kick of protein I will eat a tiny bit of chicken breast but it has to be the no hormone, no solution added kind and I will eat some fish. But it certainly isn't every day or every few days, it's more of a once a week thing.

The nightshade vegetables and meat elimination has been a lifesaver for me on top of the GF diet. I now have almost no pain but if I slip and have even one little bit of tomato-- I am in agony.

Try it and see if it works for you. It is difficult to start and can be so frustrating at times. Eating out can be difficult and takes planning. But the result of no pain is so worth it to me that I don't even crave it any more.

If you need support, PM me. You may need a cheerleader every now and then if you are going to do it and having someone who has been there can help a lot.

Check this out:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/43...rthritis-pain/
Old 05-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Belle View Post
Would you mind giving an example of meals for a few days? I'm interested in seeing if this is possible for us.
Sure!
Breakfast:
Oatmeal is the favorite for DH and DS with some fresh or frozen fruit. However, my DD and I are not huge breakfast eaters and we have been known to have leftover soup regularly for breakfast. It is lighter than oatmeal which is perfect since we usually don't like heavier breakfasts. Sometimes we will have oatmeal between breakfast and lunch!
On Sundays, DH makes a brunch of oatmeal pancakes, hash browns with veggies, and a fruit salad.

Dinner (We usually have leftovers for lunch):
Things we have had in the past week:
Kale/White bean stew, enchiladas, veggie wraps w/ hummus, sushi, veggie burgers, roasted veggies over quinoa (could also use rice or potatoes).

I have really been getting into Indian cooking lately so we have had at least one Indian dish a week recently.

My two favorite sites for recipes:
http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

As I type this, I have burgers grilling on the stove that I will freeze for quick meals and I have a lentil loaf in the oven that we will have with a salad and grilled asparagus tonight.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post

Sure!
Breakfast:
Oatmeal is the favorite for DH and DS with some fresh or frozen fruit. However, my DD and I are not huge breakfast eaters and we have been known to have leftover soup regularly for breakfast. It is lighter than oatmeal which is perfect since we usually don't like heavier breakfasts. Sometimes we will have oatmeal between breakfast and lunch!
On Sundays, DH makes a brunch of oatmeal pancakes, hash browns with veggies, and a fruit salad.

Dinner (We usually have leftovers for lunch):
Things we have had in the past week:
Kale/White bean stew, enchiladas, veggie wraps w/ hummus, sushi, veggie burgers, roasted veggies over quinoa (could also use rice or potatoes).

I have really been getting into Indian cooking lately so we have had at least one Indian dish a week recently.

My two favorite sites for recipes:
http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

As I type this, I have burgers grilling on the stove that I will freeze for quick meals and I have a lentil loaf in the oven that we will have with a salad and grilled asparagus tonight.
Thank you! I think I'll try it a few days a week at first and see how it goes. I'll look over the websites now.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Thanks everyone! I don't know much of anything about gluten-free eating. My only encounter is seeing an out-of-town friend once at a resturant and she ordered gluten free. I think I'll research it today. Any more comments? Keep 'em coming.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
Chikabowa
DIS Veteran

I'm gluten, grain, corn, soy, dairy, legume, and sugar free. I do eat paleo. I originally went this way out of a desire to lose weight (and I did), but I've stayed this way 2 years out of choice. Through research I've since learned that gluten sensitivity is common with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which I've had for almost 7 years now, and my endocrinologist is beyond thrilled that I went this direction. My particular case has been difficult to control and the dietary aspect has played a very large role.

I personally found the initial transition to be easy. It got hard around the 6 month mark after the "new-ness" of the lifestyle wore off. Every one tends to go through a bit of a mourning period where you start to get overwhelmed that this is your new normal.

Now it is absolute habit. Just like people can't imagine a meal with bread/gluten/pasta etc, I couldn't imagine a meal with those items. They simply don't appeal anymore - especially when you are able to link physical pain. It almost becomes and aversion.

There is an auto immune protocol that removes nightshades from your diet as well; as a lot of individuals have issues with inflammation from those.

I have a massive decrease in pain, aches, bloating, swelling, acne, skin issues, etc. The list of benefits I have experienced is quite extensive.

Chikabowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: