Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
Latte Lover
in charge of the credit cards and plotting quickest routes to the shopping malls

1975 & 2010 A Double trip report -Day 8 Shopping and Islands of Adventure

Pre-trippie here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2558071
Day 1 here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2594850
Day 2 here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2597434
Day 3 here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2600140
Day 4 here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2604143
Day 5 here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2612417
Day 6 here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2623162
Day 7 here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2623685

We are:

Me, Theresa
My DH Tony (Tony64)
My sister Mandy (MandyJane)
My Brother-in-law Peter (FleetPete)
My Nephew Andrew (16)
My Nephew Kieran (12)
And dd Maddie (MaddieB)

Saturday 23rd October 2010

We all had a bit of a lie-in today. It was supposed to be a rest day, but of course some of us couldn’t resist the lure of the shops!

Mandy and family decided to go out for breakfast (Golden Corral) and then had a quick visit to Joanns craft store and Target before returning to the villa for a lazy afternoon by the pool.

The boys having fun in the pool

Kieran

Andrew

Tony, Maddie and I went first to Downtown Disney. We bought some cd’s with music from the parks, some Disney cake sprinkles and a Mickey pancake mould. Maddie bought two lovely pictures and a photo frame for her new flat.

It was all Halloweeny

Love the smell in this shop

Somehow, my navigating took us past Michaels craft store, so we called in and bought a few things!

We were hungry by this time, and spotted a nearby restaurant called Charley’s and decided to give it a go. This was in fact one of our favourite meals of the holiday. Maddie had fish and chips and Tony and I both chose Tilapia with rice, peppers, onions and Teriyaki sauce.

We had a big basket of scrumptiously fresh sweet bread rolls, which our excellent server kept replenishing and plenty of refillable drinks. It was absolutely delicious and we will definitely eat here again.

Next, we headed to Prime Outlets as Maddie wanted to look at Ugg boots.

I know nothing about Ugg boots other than that people rave over them and they are cheaper in Florida than here in the UK, so I just sat myself down on a bench while the very helpful assistant found Maddie the styles and sizes she needed. However, at one point, Maddie had put a rejected pair down next to me, and as we are the same size, I thought I would try them on, just out of curiosity you understand.

Well! They were so comfy, and deliciously warm being completely fur-lined and very soft inside! I bought them! Maddie chose another pair, and the two together plus a cleaning kit came to $330. Mine were $139, around £89, which is a lot more than I would normally pay for a pair of boots, but Maddie told me I had a bargain. She wasn’t wrong either; on a recent shopping trip to Reading I was stunned to find my boots in two separate shops for £250!!

We popped into a few other stores – Gap, Ralph Lauren, Bath and body works, before heading to Islands of Adventure as we wanted to see The Wizarding World in the dark.

Some of our purchases so far:

We arrived at Islands around 4pm and, Merlin’s beard, it was busy! For some reason, we were expecting lower crowd levels in the evening, but it wasn’t so.

The wait time for Forbidden Journey was 90 minutes, but we decided to join it anyway as we weren’t sure if we would have time to come back another day. However, the CM directed us to the wrong queue and we ended up in the single rider line, which was only 35 minutes. Unfortunately, although the wait was shorter, it didn’t take us through all of the castle which we wanted as we were going to take photos this time. So Maddie and I did the ride again, in the normal queue this time! Tony went and got a drink and took photos outside while he waited, and the actual wait time was only 40 mins, so not too bad. The ride was even better for doing it again.

Some details in Hogwarts: the sorting hat

The pensieve

In the conservatory
Maddie said "Do you think these plants are real?" I said "I hope not, this one has a face"

We browsed the shops, then walked around to Suess Landing, rode Cat in the Hat ride, than had Pizza at Circus McGurkus. We then headed back to Wizarding World as it was now fully dark and we wanted to get some photos.

Maddie and I went on the hippogriff ride, surprisingly no wait, and got a fabulous view of the whole park in the dark from the top of the ride (we were in the front seat, and the only ones on the ride!).

We left the park just before 8pm. It was quite spooky walking through Jurassic Park as it was empty.

We stopped at Publix for some snacks, plus Tony bought a Seminoles cap, and then drove back to the villa to catch up with the others. They had had a nice relaxing day which gave Mandy chance to rest her poor blistered feet, and had then had a lovely dinner at Bob Evans, where the boys love the desserts.

Tomorrow: A hot and slightly disorganised day at Animal Kingdom.

1975 Royal Plaza 1997 Master's Inn Kissimee 1999 Clarion Universal 2001 Howard Johnson Maingate East 2003 Econolodge 2005 Howard Johnson Maingate West 2006 Our Timeshare at Sheraton Vistana Resort 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 Sheraton Vistana(May), Terrace Ridge (Aug)Nov 2009 Barefoot'n' in the keys, Kissimmee2010 Cumbrian LakesOct 2011 Sheraton & Disney MagicNov 2012 Florida Keys, The Sheraton, and OKW
Latte Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Love your Wizarding World photos

I'm hoping that by the time we get back to Florida all the hype about this will have died down and there will be minimal queues!!
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
strawberry blonde
DIS Veteran

You're certainly packing lots in Theresa. Hope you had plenty of space in your cases for all those bargains

Great photos again
strawberry blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

you know how to shop, my DD is green with envy when I showed her all of your bags piccie- fab day shopping
Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

I love your Harry Potter land photos in the dark, I haven't seen any before, it looks lovely

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
saratogagirl
I need books, and wine and Ian in order to survive
I couldnt wipe bottoms of strangers
I am strangely refreshed this morning ... and I am off to the butchers soon

The photos of Harry Potter World in the dark are amazing. My sister in law got me some Ugg boots for Christmas, I think that they may be copies lol, they are however, sooo comfy and warm, I am interested in trying a "real" pair on in March to compare ..
Old 01-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Love the pics of wwohp
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Lovely day. The HP has different effects, it snowed once in the room with the kids on the balcony . Glad to hear single rider line is open. Did you notice an express line open?
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:14 AM   #9
Latte Lover
in charge of the credit cards and plotting quickest routes to the shopping malls

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket2005 View Post
Lovely day. The HP has different effects, it snowed once in the room with the kids on the balcony . Glad to hear single rider line is open. Did you notice an express line open?
Well, we did notice a third line. But it only very occasionally had people in it. There was no obvious express line at the point where you join the queue, but we may have missed it; it was very chaotic and quite dark.
We saw the snow effects, but only once. The single rider line missed this room out, unfortunately.

1975 Royal Plaza 1997 Master's Inn Kissimee 1999 Clarion Universal 2001 Howard Johnson Maingate East 2003 Econolodge 2005 Howard Johnson Maingate West 2006 Our Timeshare at Sheraton Vistana Resort 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 Sheraton Vistana(May), Terrace Ridge (Aug)Nov 2009 Barefoot'n' in the keys, Kissimmee2010 Cumbrian LakesOct 2011 Sheraton & Disney MagicNov 2012 Florida Keys, The Sheraton, and OKW
Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

lovely photos in the dark
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Taking a look at that collection of shopping bags and assuming that you got a modest bargain with each purchase with an occasional super bargain like the Ugg boots, I'm thinking that you have possibly offset the cost of this trip by the amount you saved while shopping. Good job, Bucklands.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #12
Latte Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanEllen View Post
Taking a look at that collection of shopping bags and assuming that you got a modest bargain with each purchase with an occasional super bargain like the Ugg boots, I'm thinking that you have possibly offset the cost of this trip by the amount you saved while shopping. Good job, Bucklands.
That's exactly the way I like to look at it, Susan!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanEllen View Post
Susan, she doesn't need any encouragement to spend money when we are on holiday.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #14
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

Its nice to see wwohp at night it looks magical

Susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #15
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

Great photos of the inside of Forbidden Journey. I'm so looking forward to finally getting to see WWoHP and I'll definitely want to take the regular line for FJ. I don't want to miss a thing!

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: