Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #376
bunnyfoo
It's Monday and my mind was somewhere else
Never hopes to dream though

Jackie - Congrats! What an awesome PB

Maura - I did a lot of work on a recumbent bike last year after I sprained my ankle. I thought it was boring too but it let me catch up on email while I was on it. Lots of for your hips! A massage might be good too - at least they always make me feel mentally better. And congrats on the NYC entry!

Liz - Do you think you'll start jogging once you're cleared in 6 weeks?

I'm slowly getting back into things. I have a half planned for the first weekend in May but haven't been that motivated to go out running I'm hoping to finally get that (elusive) 2:00 half. I've been doing speed work on the TM and metabolic training in the gym. I'll probably incorporate some hill work in there as well...

May 2002 - Wyndham (DTD)/May 2003 - CBR & AKL/ Dec 2003 - AKL/ Oct 2004 - AKL & Polynesian/Oct 2007 - AKL CL & Polynesian/May 2008 - POFQ/Jan 2009 - Poly CL/Oct 2009 - BC & CSR/Jan 2010 - Poly CL/Jan 2011 - Poly CL/Jan 2012 - Pop Century

bunnyfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #377
twoWDWfools
No, I don't think I'm done quite yet.

Vicky - I've been cleared to run for quite a while however all plant-foot-rotate type activities like tennis, skiing, using my cycling shoes/clips, were all off limits until I hit the 9 mth mark post surgery. That will be the end of March.

Didn't realize just used to the clips I had gotten until I had to ride again with out them. Foot won't stay in right place, slides on pedal, can't pull up.
twoWDWfools is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #378
MouseDogMom
DIS Veteran

Mike - During the season, we only do 2 mile increases in our long runs. But there is at least one distance during every season that seems to be almost impossible. It's usually around the 18 mile mark for me. I struggle through it, question why I even think I could run a marathon, promise myself if I finish that I won't do it again, that I'll switch my entry to a half... anything to get through it. Then it's over and the next long run seems to go much better. So a couple of suggestions. If you have the time before your race, alter the plan so that there aren't 3 mile increases and just do 2 miles. We usually do 10, 12, 10, 14, 10, 16, 10, 18... you get the idea. Last year the backdown weeks were only 8 miles instead of 10. And yes, slow the pace. It's about doing the distance, not making any time goals. If it's at all warm, slow down even more. And walk as much as you need. If our group is running 3:1 intervals, we'll drop to 2:1. Once we reach the late miles, we may even drop to 1:1. I've finished a couple of runs doing :30/:30. Whatever it takes to get it done. And it's perfectly okay to walk the last mile or two. It actually helps the recovery afterward. The miles still count, but the body doesn't argue quite as much if you tell it that it only has to run 18 and walk 2 instead of running 20, particularly if you're having a rough day.

Last weekend was my 6th marathon, and the longest run I did prior was 18 miles, and it was one of the worst runs I've ever had. And we walked the last mile. And I whined, whimpered, complained, threatened to quit, all multiple times. So don't be disheartened. Just keep going!

Maura - I honestly think walking hurts more than running in many cases. I know last weekend as we hit the upper miles, my legs were beginning to cramp, but only during the walk breaks. It didn't hurt nearly as much to run, but I knew if I stopped the breaks, I'd never make it to the end! And congratulations on the NYC entry!

I have a week to figure out what I want to do next weekend. My running buddy isn't sure she's going to feel up to shooting for the time she'd originally planned, so I can set whatever goal I want. Have to decide if my body is sufficiently ready to tackle a blazing (for me) pace! I'm feeling a little crazy...

Jackie

MouseDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #379
MouseDogMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseDogMom View Post
Goals for 2012:
1) Achieve total mileage of 1000+
2) Move up at least one level in the Half Fanatics
3) Run a full marathon in 5:30
4) Run a half marathon in ??? - I'm still undecided on this one. My PR is a 2:26, and I'm just not sure what I feel comfortable trying for this year. My running buddy and I had planned to run together in our first half the end of this month, and she WAS shooting for a 2:15, but this morning our group director told her he thinks she's capable of a 2:10. I KNOW I can't do that! So maybe a 2:20...
Goal #4 - COMPLETE!

Jackie

MouseDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #380
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseDogMom View Post
Goal #4 - COMPLETE!

Jackie
Congratulations with job well done.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #381
EddieMccoy2
Mouseketeer

Congrats Jackie!!! Well done!
EddieMccoy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #382
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Great job Jackie!

Just ran my fourth Princess. It was a great day to run and I felt wonderful, I was in the zone, but had to pull back as DD and I were running as a team and were there to finish together. It was an ok time, 2:23, but I had so much left in me. Brought back a lot of confidence I lost at the full in Jan. This morning I feel like I could go out and run, but won't as I don't fun two days in a row.

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #383
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

But Joan, we should all "fun two days in a row", don't you think? Glad your race went well.

Just back from the Sports Doc, and while I have no stress fracture or ligament damage, etc in my hip, I do have strained tendons/muscles (THAT, I already knew). So looks like I'm giving up running for Lent. Biking & swimming are okay, though, so I guess I'll do that.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #384
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

I went out and had some "fun" (run) this morning. Did a 10k a minute faster than my half split on Sunday and that includes helping some lady catch her dog. Quite a scene...traffic including a school bus all stopped while she's running around. I had to help as the dog starting run after me (not in a mean way) when I went by.

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #385
EddieMccoy2
Mouseketeer

The Princess was a blast, but starting in Corral C made things very interesting due to all the people you have to pass. I spent so much energy running around people that I could never get in a groove. Finished in 1:36, but it felt like I ran 14 miles instead of 13.1. My legs are hating me this week since I'm in the middle of Marathon training with 9 miles yesterday and 8 today. I'm ready for my rest day on Friday before the 20 I have to put in. Running as a guy in that race was fun. I didn't dress up, but wore pink in support and had a lot of nice comments from other runners. Very friendly field. I did get one "I hope you do miserablely" from a spectator around the TTC, but that was the only negative comment I heard. I'll be back next year. Running is too darn addictive, and I've only 5 months. Can't believe it took this long to find it!
Half Fanatic #2035

Keep on Running! Every mile is magical...just some maybe more magical than others!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #386
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Eddie I wish I could say "I don't believe it" about the person who made that nasty comment, but I'm afraid I do. Glad you enjoyed the race.

Joan Glad your run was fun--means you recover quickly from racing.

I'm in day 3 of fighting a nasty cold, so just reading and general vegetating for me.

Maura
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #387
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Congrats to the Princess runners! It really looks like such a fun event!

I had an off-week last week. I had a pretty good 12 mile run the weekend before but had some lingering knee soreness. Muscle pain is annoying but this joint pain scares me! I'm usually a 3 day a week runner so I rested instead of doing my Monday run (if hosting 15 people for dinner is resting). I intended to run on Thursday after work but ended up doing emergency surgery at 4am following by a super long day in the office. I decided sleep was more important.
Saturday I really wasn't feeling well and barely managed to walk 4 miles. Yesterday I did an ok 3.1 mile run. My concern is that when I turn the treadmill speed above 5.0, my knee starts to bother me. I won't say hurt. It's more like it's making me aware that it's there. I'm trying to work on speed for my upcoming half marathon but apparently my body disagrees with my plan.
I'll try another run tomorrow or Thursday. I have 14 miles on schedule for Saturday which I have to fit in around my 3 year old's Tae Kwon Do tournament (he's very excited about his obstacle course that he's doing). I usually get up early to run but he has to be there by 8am....
I'm hoping that if I get my miles done, even if they are slower than I hope, I'll still feel strong for my race in April. My PR is 2:36 and I'm hoping for 2:30 or better but ultimately I'm just happy to get my bling at the end!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #388
Heather.Mohler
Mouseketeer

Joining in on the WISH team!
March 1996 - off site, March 2007 - All Stars Movies and Sports and Port Orleans French Quarter, January 2008 - All Star Sports, January 2009 - Beach Club Concierge, April 2009 - Buena Vista Suites, October 2009 - Caribbean Beach for MNSSHP, December 2009 - All Star Sports for MVMCP, September 2010 - All Star Movies for MNSSHP, January 2011 - Pop Century, September 2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter for MNSSHP, January 2012 - Sheraton Suites for Florida Flute Convention Performance, October 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter for MNSSHP and MVMCP, January 2013 - Off Property for Florida Flute Convention Performance, October 2013 -
Heather.Mohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #389
EddieMccoy2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I had an off-week last week. I had a pretty good 12 mile run the weekend before but had some lingering knee soreness. Muscle pain is annoying but this joint pain scares me!
Amanda- Have you tried taking a Joint supplement? I have no cartilage in my right knee, and I was getting some soreness in that knee. I decided to try a joint supplement, GNC Tri-Flex, and I haven't felt any pain since. I recommend giving something of that nature a try. Your body isn't able to lubricate it like it should when you are putting that much stress on it on a regular basis, and this does the trick. I highly recommend trying something like this.
Half Fanatic #2035

Keep on Running! Every mile is magical...just some maybe more magical than others!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #390
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Hi everybody. Quiet around this thread. I don't have a lot to add since I've been sidelined with a groin/hip strain. I am happy to report that after 6+ weeks (yes, weeks) it seems to be on the mend. I am easing back into running. Today I did an easy 4. I did eventually break down and go to the doctor, mainly just to confirm that I didn't have a more serious underlying cause. So now I have even more PT exercises to do. Pretty soon I'll have to do 2-a-days just to keep up with the PT!

Amanda Hope your knee/s improve. I know that when I dirst started running, it took a while for my knees to be entirely happy. Never had an injury, just some soreness. Eventually that went away. (And then, of course, some other body part took up the achy slack!)

Heather Welcome to WISH! Hope you find some inspiration/good advice/travel planning tips/shoulder to cry on.....whatever you may need!

On a different running-related note.....The latest edition of Run Less, Run Faster is coming out and I am going to have my "testimonial" included in it. Basically, I had written them a note about my BQ experience and they decided to use it. My free copy is on its way and the book comes out on April 10.

Maura

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: