Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #361
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellerunner View Post
Hi Everyone!

The full is my little secret right now, only my running buddy knows!
I think more people know now! Good luck.

MikeofRose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #362
MouseDogMom
DIS Veteran

Bellerunner - How "soon to be NC?" I'm doing the Charlotte Motor Speedway half with my daughter as well. Wanted to do Flying Pirate, but I'm doing Raleigh Rocks on 4/1 and RunRaleigh on 4/15, and it seemed a little much to add a third that month. And I'm trying to keep the travel to a minimum if I can.

Eddie - I agree with Maura. I think you may be one of the fastest WISHers! The injury free goal is definitely the most important - without that one, the others are pretty tough!

Maura
- I've heard LOTS of good things about OBX. There are 2 versions now - the Flying Pirate Half in April, which is the first half of the OBX full course, and the Half and Full in November. Many of our Galloway group run the fall race. I'm considering a back to back half in November - had originally planned to do Richmond and OBX, but then found out there's a new race in Norfolk the same day as OBX, and that would be much simpler geographically. Decisions, decisions!

Last year my goals were simple - recover from hip surgery and complete the MCM marathon in October, and finish in better shape than I did in 2010. I only did one other race - a half two weeks before MCM. But overall, I'd grade the year a B+, since I didn't start running until mid-March, was running pretty much back to pre-surgery levels by mid-summer, and finished MCM with a PR and smiling. My mileage totals for 2011 were higher than any year since I started running.

Goals for 2012:
1) Achieve total mileage of 1000+
2) Move up at least one level in the Half Fanatics
3) Run a full marathon in 5:30
4) Run a half marathon in ??? - I'm still undecided on this one. My PR is a 2:26, and I'm just not sure what I feel comfortable trying for this year. My running buddy and I had planned to run together in our first half the end of this month, and she WAS shooting for a 2:15, but this morning our group director told her he thinks she's capable of a 2:10. I KNOW I can't do that! So maybe a 2:20...

Jackie

MouseDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #363
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Quote:
My 2012 goals/plans:
... Charlotte Motor Speedway
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseDogMom View Post
Bellerunner - How "soon to be NC?" I'm doing the Charlotte Motor Speedway half with my daughter as well. ...
I was going to do the NC Half but had to cancel due to a foot thing I've got going on. I'd like to hear about it from you two! Good luck!!
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #364
EddieMccoy2
Mouseketeer

Thanks Maura and Jackie. I hold my own for someone who used to be over 300 LB's. It's nice to feel like an athlete.
Half Fanatic #2035

Keep on Running! Every mile is magical...just some maybe more magical than others!
EddieMccoy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #365
bellerunner
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Bellerunner - How "soon to be NC?" I'm doing the Charlotte Motor Speedway half with my daughter as well. Wanted to do Flying Pirate, but I'm doing Raleigh Rocks on 4/1 and RunRaleigh on 4/15, and it seemed a little much to add a third that month. And I'm trying to keep the travel to a minimum if I can.
I will be moving on February 28, literally right after I get back from the Disney Princess Half Marathon (well, the day after...). I am relocating to work. I am looking forward to being able to run outside without having to worry about freezing cold (sub zero temperatures) or snow and ice. I am looking for good areas to get my long runs in.

MikeofRose&Mike- Yes, a few more people know in the running community, but only one of my friends in real life knows!
bellerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #366
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will be moving on February 28, literally right after I get back from the Disney Princess Half Marathon (well, the day after...). I am relocating to work. I am looking forward to being able to run outside without having to worry about freezing cold (sub zero temperatures) or snow and ice. I am looking for good areas to get my long runs in.

MikeofRose&Mike- Yes, a few more people know in the running community, but only one of my friends in real life knows!
Not sure where you will be living, but there are many safe neighborhoods and some greenways. This has been a great fall and winter for running. I played golf twice last week and got my long run in and will long run again on Tuesday with sun and 60's. I trained for the WDW full and had great weather every week for my LR's. But two years ago, I trained for the Princess on a treadmill as winter was cold. Not so friendly for cycling. My DH does quite a bit of that. Many good races...a great 15k in October, and a couple different Thanksgiving day events. And Thunder Road has moved to November. I'm close to the speedway, but don't have an interest in the race there.

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #367
MouseDogMom
DIS Veteran

I was just bragging on the 'Ohana thread about how what a wonderful place Raleigh was to live in terms of parks and greenways. We've opened miles of new greenways just in the past year, and there are more under construction. I'm so grateful for a community that considers that a priority.

Joan - The weather has been wonderful this winter. I was not at all sorry to be injured last winter when it was freezing almost every weekend and my friends were running in teens and twenties!

Eddie - Even more of an accomplishment! Weight loss AND speed. Congratulations on making a positive lifestyle change. And a fun one at that! It is addicting.

Liznboys - We're doing the race because DD wants the medal. The lights were too much for her to resist. Ironically, she's an Indy racing fan and hates Nascar, but she'll agree to run on a Nascar track since the medal is so amazing. Hope your foot is better soon!

Jackie

Old 02-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #368
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Quote:
Liznboys - We're doing the race because DD wants the medal. The lights were too much for her to resist. Ironically, she's an Indy racing fan and hates Nascar, but she'll agree to run on a Nascar track since the medal is so amazing. Hope your foot is better soon!

Jackie
Thanks!

Yeah that medal looks awesome!!
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #369
MouseDogMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Goals for 2012:
1) Achieve total mileage of 1000+
2) Move up at least one level in the Half Fanatics
3) Run a full marathon in 5:30
4) Run a half marathon in ??? - I'm still undecided on this one. My PR is a 2:26, and I'm just not sure what I feel comfortable trying for this year. My running buddy and I had planned to run together in our first half the end of this month, and she WAS shooting for a 2:15, but this morning our group director told her he thinks she's capable of a 2:10. I KNOW I can't do that! So maybe a 2:20...
Goal #3 - COMPLETE!

Jackie

Old 02-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #370
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Jackie Congrats (again!). A 20 minute PR must have you floating still.

Hope everyone else is still hanging in there. I am still (3+ weeks later) trying to shake some hip stain issues and have stopped running. Hey, if walking bother me, running is bound to (although I have had situations where this wan't true). I am doing a lot of stationary cycling, whichis beginning to drive me nuts, but at least it's cardio.

In better news, I got my confirmation for entry into NYC marathon, so I have one thing on my race calendar!

Happy Valentine's Day all. Check out this amusing poster from Runner's World.

http://rwdaily.runnersworld.com/2012...y-special.html

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #371
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Yeah Jackie

Nice valentine link Maura

AFM-Getting some runs in for the Princess...look forward to a weekend with my DD. I will let her "pace" us. Hope she doesn't go too fast.

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #372
EddieMccoy2
Mouseketeer

Jackie- Congrats. That's awesome!
Half Fanatic #2035

Keep on Running! Every mile is magical...just some maybe more magical than others!
EddieMccoy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #373
twoWDWfools
No, I don't think I'm done quite yet.

Jackie - congrats again!!

Maura - although I race walked more than ran before the surgery, I am finding my knee gives me less trouble post surgery when I jog. Dunno. Weird.

Only 6 more weeks until I can get back to ALL activities ...most importantly back into my bike shoes and clips!
twoWDWfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #374
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

Maura - Galloway question. I'm working on the Marathon to finish, after doing several halves. The 3 mile steps from 14 to 17 and 17 to 20 were some of the most difficult runs I have done. Is that normal? Do other people have that issue. I am assuming slower pace and more walk breaks is the answer.

Thanks,

Mike

MikeofRose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #375
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Mike Wish I could help, but I am not a Galloway-er.....Gallloway-an.....Gallow-whatever!! The best person to ask would probably be Jackie (MouseDogMom). I'm sure she'll have a great answer for you.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: