Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #301
bcdavi
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3lovebugs View Post
Thanks for the replies! I sort of have a plan. I have been using the Galloway 'finish in a standing position' plan. It has me running 30 minutes Tues/Thurs and then the runs on Saturdays vary. It started with 3 miles then went to 2, then up to 4. It will increase until 13. When I look at Runners World, it has me doing a completely different training. My dh, who has been running a looooong time, said I should quit looking at the Galloway plan b/c that is for people who have not been doing much fitness training at all and certainly not running three days a week like I have been.
This past week I got sidelined due to a uti and meds and my doctor telling me to back off my training due to increased injury risk of my tendons (how do they know these things???) from the antibiotics. I have been going stir crazy and will likely ignore the warnings and go out today or tomorrow at the latest.
I'm still not totally comforatable with the costume idea. I am just waaaaaaay too picky about my comfort when I run! I can't wear hats or gloves or high socks or the wrong shorts etc....The TB has me worried since it is so dang early in the am...I am not sure WHAT to wear!! lol!
I understand your husband's comment about Galloway being for beginners. However I would like to explain that although it is a wonderful program for beginners, but it is also for advanced runners. I am a Physical Therapist and have been running the Galloway method for over 4 years now. All I can say is - Wow! No injuries and my times have totally improved. My husband is also an avid runner (averaging 7-8 minute/mile pace), and he uses walk breaks! Walk breaks aren't necessarily because you are huffing and puffing and you need to take breaks. Yes, beginners might need this type of training. The walk breaks are to keep your speed up, reduce fatigue in major muscles, and also reduce/eliminate injuies. I would highly recommend continuing with Galloway from a professional and personal perspective. I've run two halfs and one full using Galloway and am preparing to run another full in a couple of weeks. All without injury and actually even despite ruptured discs in my neck. I had a C5-6-7 fusion one week after my first marathon.

Also, listen to your Dr. about the antibiotics! You have a good Dr. Some antibiotic classes have been correlated with achilles rupture. But don't worry! Do some cross training aerobic activity for a short period of time in which doesn't stress your achilles.

As for clothes - wear what you normally would wear and feel comfortable in. Don't sweat it! I've noticed some good tips here about dressing in layers and bringing some throwaway clothes to shed. It's a good excuse to clean the closet! Remember do nothing new on race day and this includes clothing/shoes.

And above all - Disney is the BEST place to run. You will have a wonderful time and it will fly by. You can do it! I'm rooting for you!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #302
MouseDogMom
DIS Veteran

momof3lovebugs - I think the idea of only running 30 minutes during the week is definitely geared toward beginning runners. Once you've passed the beginner stage, it's still okay to run 3 days a week, but you can easily increase the mileage on the 2 days that you're not running long. We regularly run 60-90 minutes on our mid-week runs, but we're still sticking to the basic Galloway concept of 3 runs/week, and like bcdavi said, trying to hold off the injuries.

Brenda - I haven't done a solo trip yet, but there are plenty of WISH friends available to hang out with. I'd be perfectly comfortable going alone!

Joan - I'd take a couple of weeks off to recover from the marathon, maybe do a few easy runs or walks, and then continue with 8-10 mile long runs. That's what we do all winter long, and I've run half marathons pretty much on a monthly basis without actually training for them. There's not that much time between January and the Princess to lose the training that you've already put in, so as long as you keep up a decent base, you should be fine.

Maura - The Red Cross keeps calling me, but I told them I wouldn't donate again until after MCM. I'm not taking any chances!

Did my 26 mile training run on Saturday. First time I've actually done the 26 mile run as part of training. After 5 years in the Galloway program, I figured maybe it was time! We had a great run, and finished feeling like I could do more. Now it's taper time! Oh, and I have a half on Sunday. But it doesn't really count, since most of us who're doing it are using it as a training run since we all have marathons coming up in the next couple of weeks. Last night my right knee started hurting, so I cut the run short. No sense pushing it at this point!

Jackie

MouseDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #303
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Jackie and Maura Thanks for the advice for time between full and half.
I haven't given blood in a year and a half...I had a bad case of vertigo after the last time, but I have given over 5 gallons and got my girls into giving so I fill okay about it.
You girls inspire me...you get injuries, do proper recovery and keep on running.

Jackie Do you know anything about the Raleigh Fall Festival 10K on Nov. 13? My son wants to use it as a time for corral placement.

MauraHave you decided to do the Marathon relay?

BrendaWelcome. I have 4 grown kids. One text me last night about PT profession, he is currently pre-bio for PA program. Good luck this weekend!

dragitoffYou have lots of races planned...good luck...and you a speedy person. January will be my first full.

Great weather again for my LR on Monday...16 miles, but it wasn't pretty. Over the weekend my DH and I went to the lowcountry of SC and did some biking, walking and running so I wasn't really rested for it and had been dining of some great food. It was cool when some gal saw my Princess shirt from this year and got excited. She said she had never seen anyone in her area wear it and she had done it and many other disney races.

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #304
pensgirl10
Mouseketeer

A word on blood donations: my running partner gave blood in July. They asked her to do a double red donation, telling her she would have to wait twice as long to give again but that she would feel normal in the same amount of time. It didn't happen that way. Over three months later, she is still struggling and is getting pretty frustrated.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #305
pensgirl10
Mouseketeer

The Galloway method was mentioned earlier in the thread and I had my first encounter with that at the half last Saturday. Before the race I noticed a woman in her 40's....she was hard not to notice, attractive with legs nearly as long as my entire body. Ok, I exaggerate, but not much. About 5 miles in we passed her and I realized we were passing her for the 3rd time. What the heck? According to my friend, the woman was walking part of the time and using a little alarm to tell her when to start and stop. I thought it was interesting that she had been able to keep pace with us.

Thinking back, I remembered a man in a Marines Corps Marathon shirt who pulled to the side and walked after his phone beeped. I remembered him because I thought he was taking a call and in a race that would be memorable all right. LOL We saw him again later and he was indeed walking/running. When I poured on the gas later in the race it took me quite awhile to pass him for good. I was disappointed when I couldn't find either of them at the finish, I'd love to have known their times. They impressed me!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #306
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensgirl10 View Post
The Galloway method was mentioned earlier in the thread and I had my first encounter with that at the half last Saturday. Before the race I noticed a woman in her 40's....she was hard not to notice, attractive with legs nearly as long as my entire body. Ok, I exaggerate, but not much. About 5 miles in we passed her and I realized we were passing her for the 3rd time. What the heck? According to my friend, the woman was walking part of the time and using a little alarm to tell her when to start and stop. I thought it was interesting that she had been able to keep pace with us.

Thinking back, I remembered a man in a Marines Corps Marathon shirt who pulled to the side and walked after his phone beeped. I remembered him because I thought he was taking a call and in a race that would be memorable all right. LOL We saw him again later and he was indeed walking/running. When I poured on the gas later in the race it took me quite awhile to pass him for good. I was disappointed when I couldn't find either of them at the finish, I'd love to have known their times. They impressed me!
I'm pretty sure I'll use the run/walk method, at least for my first 1/2 marathon. I'm running 5k at least 5 times a week averaging about a 8mm. Once every 2 weeks, I get on the treadmill for a long-distance run. The first time I went 8.5 miles straight w/o walking, but was only averaging about 10mm. The second time I went 11.1 miles walking 1 minute for every 5 minutes ran. I averaged about the same time and felt great. I definitely think it's a good strategy for novice or moderate runners.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #307
AmyBeth68
Relentless Forward Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3lovebugs View Post
Thanks for the replies! I sort of have a plan. I have been using the Galloway 'finish in a standing position' plan. It has me running 30 minutes Tues/Thurs and then the runs on Saturdays vary. It started with 3 miles then went to 2, then up to 4. It will increase until 13. When I look at Runners World, it has me doing a completely different training. My dh, who has been running a looooong time, said I should quit looking at the Galloway plan b/c that is for people who have not been doing much fitness training at all and certainly not running three days a week like I have been.
This past week I got sidelined due to a uti and meds and my doctor telling me to back off my training due to increased injury risk of my tendons (how do they know these things???) from the antibiotics. I have been going stir crazy and will likely ignore the warnings and go out today or tomorrow at the latest.
I'm still not totally comforatable with the costume idea. I am just waaaaaaay too picky about my comfort when I run! I can't wear hats or gloves or high socks or the wrong shorts etc....The TB has me worried since it is so dang early in the am...I am not sure WHAT to wear!! lol!
Just another thought on the Galloway method, or any form of run/walk. I've done both, run an entire race as well as use a run/walk method. I've had years when I was plagued with injuries and the Galloway concept got me through the races. I'm a personal trainer, cycling instructor and cyclist, I've been running seriously for 7 years and I am going back to Galloway this year after a broken foot. I hope to finish my half between 2:05 and 2:10 which is not fast by any means, but still a decent pace. My partner regularly runs 8 mpm and faster in shorter distance races using a run/walk method so it doesn't necessarily mean slower speeds. I'm just slow regardless...I've clocked the same time with a full run versus run/walk in similar half and full marathons! If the galloway method feels good to you and as you have ramped up your mileage you are still injury free, I wouldn't change it unless you are looking to really increase your speed. I do run 4 days/week and cross train 3 days/week, but I have trained for halfs with only a 3 day a week plan .
Old 10-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #308
johde
DIS Veteran

It's been a while since I"ve posted on this thread but since the conversation has turned back to Galloway again, I figured I'd give my experiences. For me, so far, I've completed 4 half marathons. I walked the first one, and did run/walk for the other 3. I actually started out using John Bingham/Jenny Hadfield "Marathoning for Mortals" plan. I've since transitioned to combination of them and Galloway.

So far, I've had 3 very good races and 1 long rough day.

First half was Cleveland, OH May 2010, all walking 3:28
Secong Half, Columbus, OH October 2010 run 1/Walk 2 3:08
Third Half, Xenia, Oh April 2011 Run 1/walk 1 2:51:02
Fourth Half, Disneyland Anaheim, CA, Sept 2011 Run 1/Walk :45 3:11.

As you can guess Disneyland was my long miserable day. Part of it was my fault, part of it was the races fault. But, I learned some valuable lessons for future races. First, I started too far forward, not alot but a little bit. I had sent in an estimated finish of 2:40 but with training and not wanting to push at the beginning of the vacation I ended up realizing that was impractical. Unfortunately I didn't see anyone from the pace teams to know I was in with the 2:35-2:40 crowd, I should have moved to the very back of the corral, or even dropped back a corral. As a result, I ended up taking the first mile much faster than I had anticipated and didn't take as many walk breaks as I had planned. Primarily because the course is so narrow.

Also because of the crowds, I could never fully get into my run/walk groove. In the other races I've run after a couple of miles things have cleared out enough to make the run/walk fairly easy. That never happened. Even with that, I was keeping an anticipated 3:02 finish pace until the 15k mat. But the other I hadn't fully adjusted for the California sun. I was warm, not overly hot, but the course had almost no shade. I hit the wall harder than I ever had somewhere there in miles 9-10. I could walk it in, but any extended period of running was over for the day.

I'm still a firm believer in the run/walk method. In hind sight, I should have signed up for a second half marathon this fall, and used Disneyland as my longest training run for that race.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #309
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johde View Post
As you can guess Disneyland was my long miserable day. Part of it was my fault, part of it was the races fault. But, I learned some valuable lessons for future races. First, I started too far forward, not alot but a little bit. I had sent in an estimated finish of 2:40 but with training and not wanting to push at the beginning of the vacation I ended up realizing that was impractical. Unfortunately I didn't see anyone from the pace teams to know I was in with the 2:35-2:40 crowd, I should have moved to the very back of the corral, or even dropped back a corral. As a result, I ended up taking the first mile much faster than I had anticipated and didn't take as many walk breaks as I had planned. Primarily because the course is so narrow.

Also because of the crowds, I could never fully get into my run/walk groove. In the other races I've run after a couple of miles things have cleared out enough to make the run/walk fairly easy. That never happened. Even with that, I was keeping an anticipated 3:02 finish pace until the 15k mat. But the other I hadn't fully adjusted for the California sun. I was warm, not overly hot, but the course had almost no shade. I hit the wall harder than I ever had somewhere there in miles 9-10. I could walk it in, but any extended period of running was over for the day.
Amen on the Disneyland assessment. Oh man was that a miserable race. Sorry that you had such a miserable time, but it's nice to know that we weren't the only ones feeling it.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #310
bcdavi
Earning My Ears

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
Jackie and Maura Thanks for the advice for time between full and half.
I haven't given blood in a year and a half...I had a bad case of vertigo after the last time, but I have given over 5 gallons and got my girls into giving so I fill okay about it.
You girls inspire me...you get injuries, do proper recovery and keep on running.

Jackie Do you know anything about the Raleigh Fall Festival 10K on Nov. 13? My son wants to use it as a time for corral placement.

MauraHave you decided to do the Marathon relay?

BrendaWelcome. I have 4 grown kids. One text me last night about PT profession, he is currently pre-bio for PA program. Good luck this weekend!

dragitoffYou have lots of races planned...good luck...and you a speedy person. January will be my first full.

Great weather again for my LR on Monday...16 miles, but it wasn't pretty. Over the weekend my DH and I went to the lowcountry of SC and did some biking, walking and running so I wasn't really rested for it and had been dining of some great food. It was cool when some gal saw my Princess shirt from this year and got excited. She said she had never seen anyone in her area wear it and she had done it and many other disney races.
Thank you for the well wishes! Tell your son both careers are great and good luck! My husband is an NP (Nurse Practitioner) which is similar to PA.

Love your Princess T-Shirt story. I get all excited when I see people wearing them too - and I haven't even run it yet!

Brenda.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #311
deekaypee
Mouseketeer
Ah, life in my Disney daydream is good

Touching base with folks now that I'm back from Disney have (almost) caught up with some work.

John, et. al: Gallowstopping sounds like a lot of fun. I'm not sure I do costumes, although I do dye my hair (part of it) green for the occasion. I like a good blue wig, though. I hope you'll be able to come this year. (And that I will, too!)

Jackie: The more you talk about the Galloway plan, the more I like it. And I know you've come an incredible way, using it as part of your recovery, etc. You will rock MCM, and think it's incredibly cool that a) you did your 26 miles as a TR and b) have a half as a taper.

Joan: Running Princess as a team with DD sounds like a great way to spend a morning. It's one of those things that I think Disney is spot-on with. Have you made the fly/drive decision? Congrats on your 15 miles! I think Maura's suggestion for recovering/prepping for the Princess is a smart strategy if you're planning on racing both. Do give yourself recovery time.

momof3lovebugs: I'm no help at all when it comes to training plans - have a bad habit of doing it piecemeal. As for costumes, I know how you feel. I'm more than happy with my WISH shirt! And pensgirls suggestions about layering deserves the

Dragitoff: What is this Snickers 1/2 marathon of which you speak? Candy addicts would like to know. As a BQ, it might be a bit fast for me, but maybe with visions of chocolate dancing through my head. Great goals, btw, and your plan of action seems pretty solid, too!

Brenda: Welcome! I do have to say that, whatever Disney race strategy you have - traveling for family vacation or going solo - will be a great time. In fact, I often WISH DOOD, my DH, would say, "Nawww, I don't want to go. You just take a solo trip." But he's become a bit enamored with WISHers, although I think he thought I was crazy when I first told him about the group!

AmyBeth: AmyBeth! It's been forever, and I've missed you! And that's all I have to say!

Jeremy: Thanks for the insights into the Galloway method. It's good to see the intervals, combined with race-day insights - both your statements and and those of SarahRose. I think that's really useful to all of us who don't train in heat/sun. I've been hesitant to do DL because of those conditions, as I train in Pittsburgh.

AFM: Went to WDW a couple of weeks ago, during one of those near-tropical storms. Had a cutback week of 6 miles schedules. Did them in the pouring rain, one of those warm rains where I could still feel almost overheated during it. And a rain where...just when I thought I couldn't get any wetter the skies opened. I finally turned off my iPod when it shorted out.

This last weekend, I was slated for 10, did 12 because I had one of those rare days when everything came together & felt, well easy. That seldom happens to me. I take 'em when I can get them. And I'm another person who does RW intervals.
... ................
deekaypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #312
pensgirl10
Mouseketeer

Photos were posted from my race so I was able to find the number for the lady I noticed Gallowalking. So I could check her time, which was 2:15. That's a 10:17 pace. Exactly what I need to finish my next marathon without being swept. Interesting to find out that running/walking is an option. I do expect to run all the way but it's good to have a backup plan in case my leg problems don't improve.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #313
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaypee View Post
Touching base with folks now that I'm back from Disney have (almost) caught up with some work.

John, et. al: Gallowstopping sounds like a lot of fun. I'm not sure I do costumes, although I do dye my hair (part of it) green for the occasion. I like a good blue wig, though. I hope you'll be able to come this year. (And that I will, too!)

Jackie: The more you talk about the Galloway plan, the more I like it. And I know you've come an incredible way, using it as part of your recovery, etc. You will rock MCM, and think it's incredibly cool that a) you did your 26 miles as a TR and b) have a half as a taper.

Joan: Running Princess as a team with DD sounds like a great way to spend a morning. It's one of those things that I think Disney is spot-on with. Have you made the fly/drive decision? Congrats on your 15 miles! I think Maura's suggestion for recovering/prepping for the Princess is a smart strategy if you're planning on racing both. Do give yourself recovery time.

momof3lovebugs: I'm no help at all when it comes to training plans - have a bad habit of doing it piecemeal. As for costumes, I know how you feel. I'm more than happy with my WISH shirt! And pensgirls suggestions about layering deserves the

Dragitoff: What is this Snickers 1/2 marathon of which you speak? Candy addicts would like to know. As a BQ, it might be a bit fast for me, but maybe with visions of chocolate dancing through my head. Great goals, btw, and your plan of action seems pretty solid, too!

Brenda: Welcome! I do have to say that, whatever Disney race strategy you have - traveling for family vacation or going solo - will be a great time. In fact, I often WISH DOOD, my DH, would say, "Nawww, I don't want to go. You just take a solo trip." But he's become a bit enamored with WISHers, although I think he thought I was crazy when I first told him about the group!

AmyBeth: AmyBeth! It's been forever, and I've missed you! And that's all I have to say!

Jeremy: Thanks for the insights into the Galloway method. It's good to see the intervals, combined with race-day insights - both your statements and and those of SarahRose. I think that's really useful to all of us who don't train in heat/sun. I've been hesitant to do DL because of those conditions, as I train in Pittsburgh.

AFM: Went to WDW a couple of weeks ago, during one of those near-tropical storms. Had a cutback week of 6 miles schedules. Did them in the pouring rain, one of those warm rains where I could still feel almost overheated during it. And a rain where...just when I thought I couldn't get any wetter the skies opened. I finally turned off my iPod when it shorted out.

This last weekend, I was slated for 10, did 12 because I had one of those rare days when everything came together & felt, well easy. That seldom happens to me. I take 'em when I can get them. And I'm another person who does RW intervals.
The Snickers Marathon weekend is a 1/2 marathon and marathon in Albany, GA in March. You can find info online for it at

http://www.runningintheusa.com/race/...=Albany&Page=1

I know it's a BQ and I know the roads since I grew up in Albany (and currently live 10 minutes outside). It's very flat so it is a pretty easy run if you're interested in qualifying for the Boston Marathon. There are quite a few people who run it in 2 hour times. Some really fast folks!

I've never run it before, but I'm going to do it in 2012.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #314
paxsarah

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensgirl10 View Post
Photos were posted from my race so I was able to find the number for the lady I noticed Gallowalking. So I could check her time, which was 2:15. That's a 10:17 pace. Exactly what I need to finish my next marathon without being swept. Interesting to find out that running/walking is an option. I do expect to run all the way but it's good to have a backup plan in case my leg problems don't improve.
I'll be Gallowalking my half marathon this weekend. My first goal is to break 2:10, and I'm pretty sure my training will let me do that fairly easily. I do have to say that last year, when I trained for my first half marathon and used run/walk just to finish, it felt like a completely different process than this year when I'm training for a fairly aggressive time improvement. This cycle - the run segments are speedy, and I'm glad that I've been using a Higdon plan (yes, Galloway method with a Higdon schedule) that incorporates race-pace runs. Over time they've given me an idea of what my pace should feel like on race day.

That said, I'd be freaking.out if I had to run a marathon in 4:30 or be swept!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #315
pensgirl10
Mouseketeer

Well, it's not as bad as it sounds. They don't start timing until the last runner crosses the start. So you could move up a bit and gain time, I've crossed the start as late as 12 minutes after the gun. Believe me, I wouldn't be spending what is turning into quite a bit of money if I didn't think I was going to make it. It's great motivation. It was great motivation for last weekend's half (OMG, if I can't finish THIS in a timely manner, how will I finish the marathon?) and should keep me moving in Saturday's race too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: