Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #271
pensgirl10
Mouseketeer

Thanks Maura and John. I first encountered the 50k while on a long training run for my first (only LOL) marathon. They were running when I got there and running when I finished. Thought they were crazy at first but stayed around to watch as they started the final loop. Not only were these people doing 50k...with five miles left, they were running harder than I ever had! They had my interest. I looked up the race a few months later and noted registration had started for the next year. Sent my check in so fast that I got bib #1. LOL Ended up not being able to do it of course but hopefully in 2012. I'll register if I'm still healthy after Vegas.

I love the challenge of going farther than everyone else, or up the steepest hill. Good thing too, because I'm never going to be the fastest.
pensgirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #272
halvnorsk
Mouseketeer

Trail Runs

So, I ran a half marathon trail race last weekend. I'm not a big trail runner, but the description and pictures looked nice enough and it was raising money for a good cause (my favorite kind of race). Well . . . I was not prepared for the rugged nature of the race. And based on some of the discussions I overhead after the race, I wasn't the only one. As an added complication, I have been running on more minimal shoes the past six months, so my feet took an extra tough beating (they are still suffering)! Steep up and down sections, loose gravel, exposed roots, logs to hurdle - it was a challenge. But I'm glad I did it and I could see myself getting more into trail running in the future. But I need more experience. Someone remind me of this before I sign up for another trail race, !
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #273
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Cami Hope your feet recover soon! I guess it takes a different kind of training for those races. I need to do some research, but I do think it could be fun, too.

I've made it back up to a whopping 6 miles in my "Return to Run" tour. This weekend I am planning on trying 10. Not sure if I'll finish it, but my plan 1/2 plan calls for an "easy, non-timed" 10 vs. the usual goal time, so I figure this will be a good way to jump into a LR.

Ran 1 5k last weekend to see where I stand time-wise and now have some training times to work with. So as long as I foam roll, yoga-stretch, I am hoping to ramp things back up. Still not "symptom-free"in my neck/arm/shoulder, but I seem to at least be holding steady.

Hope everyone is getting into their plans for the races in January. Dare I get excited yet that I may be able to participate?

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #274
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

I somehow managed to get all my training (for the Jan full) in this week after a 10 day USA tour. JK. I went to CA to visit family and back through Denver to visit my son. I was able to get a few runs in while out of town and my DH and I did a 25 mile bike ride in the mountains of Colorado...on rented bikes. They really need more oxygen up in those mountains.
Got in Monday at 1am and did a LR on Monday morning. And my upper body was so sore from doing Yoga in the Park on Sunday morning in Denver.

I thought I would get into trail running this summer, but when I went to try on trail running shoes at different places the sales guys always discouraged me with comment about safety and homeless on trails etc. so it never happened. I do love to hike with my DH and family so I will stick with that for now.

Cami Try soaking your feet in some epsom salt.

Maura Glad to see that you are back out there. Have you ever heard of M.E.L.T.? You tube it, I tied it this week and hope to keep on with it.

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #275
pensgirl10
Mouseketeer

There was an early registration table for the Pittsburgh Marathon at the expo this morning so I signed up. The lowest price plus $20 in gift certificates, can't beat that. Of course it's not till May....

I lost a good bit of money in race fees after I got hurt last winter so maybe this wasn't the smartest move. Oh well, it's done. In fact I am going to sign up for every dang race I missed.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #276
mandac
Mouseketeer

Hi All
I thought I would jump in on this thread since I read it but never post.
I am quite a bit farther back on the running train than most of you, but I am still having fun. I finished my 5th half marathon at Disneyland and made a PR at 2:26. It was the first time I ran the majority of the race, so that was exciting for me. I took a couple weeks off and now I am starting to train for the R&R Las Vegas. I haven't participation in a R&R before, but DH really wanted to go to Vegas again (there is a fight that weekend he wants to see - yuck!) So I am making a race weekend out of it. Hopefully I can get back into training. I have a much harder time now that the days are shorter. I have always been a late evening runner, but can't do that anymore. Too dark. Soon I will have snow and Ice to deal with. No fun.

mandac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #277
pensgirl10
Mouseketeer

Hey Manda, I'm going to be in Vegas too. I don't consider a person who has done FIVE halfs as being behind in any way.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #278
deekaypee
Mouseketeer
Ah, life in my Disney daydream is good

Hi, folks. I'm Debra, and I used to be a WISHer.

Yep, it's been months since I've posted with any consistency - maybe even a year - although I keep in touch with many folks on Facebook.

It turns out that I've been really cranky recently over not being able to go to Wine & Dine and see some of you. I must have mentioned it once too often because DOOD (Dear One of Debra, my DH) asked me, "When was the last time you posted on the DIS?"

And that's when it hit me, just how long it's been. And FB is no substitute for the interactions.

So, I'm back. I can't promise to be a daily poster the way I used to be - my work life doesn't allow that anymore - but I'm going to be my best. Because, yes, as odd as it sounds and against the evidence, I miss you all!

As for the mandatory update....No Wine & Dine for me, but we've signed up for WDW Marathon and are *hoping* to still make it. It's been a crazy, hectic past few months with job changes.

To that end, I'm in training. Working on consistency, which has been a problem with scheduling. But I did the scheduled 8 this weekend - even though both my Garmin & iPod gave out during the run. Gotta love overcoming technical failures; I feel like such a running warrior just for completing a goal!

Anyway, I'm glad to be back & looking forward to catching up with everyone!
... ................
deekaypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #279
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Debra You MUST make it in January. Otherwise, you'll miss my triumphal return!
Seriously, hope you can make it down--even briefly. (This from someone who still has not actually signed up for a race yet!)

Joan Next year we'll get those trails Meantime, marathon training is plenty to keep you busy!

pensgirl10 Are you a PA'er? (judging from your name) If so, you will master those hills in Pittsburgh. You can always ask Debra about them---she's a local.

Manda We are NOT thinking/talking/having nightmares about snow til at least November! Good luck, though, with your training for Vegas. Bet it would be fun to run down the strip at night.

As for me....I did my 10 miles yesterday. It was pretty good, given that it was the longest I have run since April and on pavement. Time was reasonable and give me some hope that I haven't lost all the "speed" (a relative term, for sure!) that I had built up. Most of it, but not all! Today I'm a little achy and need to nurse my knees/IT band, so I'm off to the pool to do kick sets and my PT weights.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #280
pensgirl10
Mouseketeer

Yep, I'm from the Pittsburgh area. I enjoy hills and it's a good thing I do. LOL I'm doing a 10 mile race next month that is pure hill, we did it last year and it was my lowest pace ever....whatever you call the opposite of a PR....that was it. My friend swore NEVER AGAIN. But I am and I am going to attack it.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #281
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Let me just say...I think the cycle trainer may be more boring than the treadmill

I"m doing the Hal Higdon Marathon 3 for my full training. It is three runs a week, which is good for me and biking the day after the long run. Today is was so wet out...another thunder shower at day break that my DH put my bike on the trainer, my first time, and it was so boring, but I did what I do on the TM, I don't look at the time or distance for as long as possible. I made it 65 min. out of my schedule 70 minute ride!

Welcome back to Debra

You amaze me Maura

Hope you have fun in Vegas Pensgirl and Manda

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #282
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

joan4mickey.....I think the cycle trainer may be more boring than the treadmill

As with the TM, indoor cycling really does not equal road riding and indoor cycling is most definitely boring.

2 hours is my indoor limit but on the road, give me a beautiful day and 6 hours or more and I'm in heaven.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #283
pensgirl10
Mouseketeer

Thanks Joan. I am doing Hal's Intermediate 2 and using the cross training day as a second rest day. I figure that at my age, I'm entitled. LOL My week starts today with 4, 8, 4, rest, then 8 & 16 on the weekend. I'm going to try to keep up but as the weeks go on might have to drop a short day.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #284
mandac
Mouseketeer

Pensgirl10: Are you doing the full or the half in Vegas? I am looking forward to the running Elvi.

Debra: Good job on running with the wires. I have trouble without my Garmin because I don’t really map out runs so everything is just run until the watch says I have gone far enough. I am not consistent enough in pace to know how far I have gone based on time.

Maura: I wish I could wait until November to worry about snow, but we usually get some in October. So far this year looks good. Still 80 here, but that can change at any moment. But that will be my last mention of the yucky white stuff until it actually falls.

Joan: Inside exercising is just hard. I am impressed that you kept to your schedule even with the rain.

AFM: I ran 5 this weekend. It was nice because it felt super short! I could have done more but was happy not too because I had too much other stuff to get done. My house in falling apart and fix it projects and cleaning are taking a lot of my time these days. I hope to get a quick speed work run in after work today before I go back to fixing the garage door (awesome!) We will see how it goes.

mandac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #285
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
Debra You MUST make it in January. Otherwise, you'll miss my triumphal return!
Seriously, hope you can make it down--even briefly. (This from someone who still has not actually signed up for a race yet!)
Not only would you miss Maura's return, you'd also miss the Great Gallowstopping Adventure currently being planned by me, Corinna, Richard, and a few others. Their main goal is to take lots of pictures with characters. Mine is to start late enough and run slow enough to hit the Everest coaster at mile 17. Missed it last year by 15 minutes.

John
FFigawi is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: