Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #256
johde
DIS Veteran

Hi all

Realized it's been a couple of weeks since I've posted on this thread.

Maura - Glad to hear your improving even if you can't run yet. Hopefully it's just a matter of time before you can progress at least to a run/walk.

Jennifer - Welcome to WISH (even if it's a little bit late).

Ludari - Hope your tri went well

Last 2 weeks have gone fairly well. Last week I took it fairly easy getting ready for my 5K on Friday. I Finished is 38:40, A new PR. It would have been even better had it not been 90 outside with the heat index.

This weeks.

Monday - did a 9 mile long run. It seems strange being at that kind of mileage so far from my September 4rd Disneyland half. I'm mostly following Galloways Time improvement plan and will be working up to 15-17 mile long run.

Wednesday. 5 miles 3-4 at close to 1/2 marathon pace. According to my Garmin my fastest 5K was faster than Friday. But it was also 30 degrees cooler.

Today - 3 mile middle 2 without walk breaks. Went much better than 2 weeks ago. Legs felt a little funny for the first minute or so after switching to walking. About like after a hard race.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #257
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

I've been absent for a while, work and life have been getting in a way. It's raining here today, so I am waiting for that to blow through before runnning.

I think I posted to congratulate Maura on her Boston success, but if I didn't congratulations. I am sorry about your injury and hope your doctor has cleared you to run.
Tracy how is the foot rehab going. It may help to do more of a Chi running style where you lift your heal up instead of pushing off with your foot.
Jennifer Welcome to WISH. You can certainly call yourself a runner if you've raced a 5k. DW & I will be at W&D. There will be a bunch of meets there, so maybe I will see you.
Jeremy Sounds like you are going to be ready for Disneyland.
ludari Hope the tri went well. Be sure to tell us about it.
AFM I ran the Kentucky Derby Festival mini marathon in 1:54, which was a PR, and haven't done that much mileage again in a entire week until this week. Starting to ramp up for W&D and whatever else we run this fall.

MikeofRose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #258
rizzobob
Earning My Ears

Hi Everyone,

My name is Michele and I have been posting over on the Princess and W&D threads. I am new to running. I am signed up for the Wine and Dine. I wanted to come over here and say an "official" hello..

I am in South Florida so I have not run any races yet, but I found a 5K at night at the end of the July that I am going to do. Hopefully it will be a bit cooler

Everyone on the boards have been so helpful and very inspiring so far, I am so glad to have found the WISH boards. Thank you!

Michele
rizzobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #259
GaRain
DIS Veteran

I am here for my official introduction as well. I am not a runner...definately!
I am working on the Couch to 5K program and am now registered for the Family 5K during marathon weekend in January!
I am doing my first 5K here in Atlanta this September....hope I can do it!
GaRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #260
dsnyfan21
I'd rather be on Main Street in WDW!

Hello... it's been awhile.

Jeremy it looks like you are just rolling along!

Maura I hope things are working out for you. Yoga and swimming are good things right now. Maybe a second opinion couldn't hurt about your issues - just sayin.

Hello to all the newbies.

As for Me: I "officially" started training for my First Full at WDW in Jan last weekend and did a 6 miler today. Toe is doing so much better, but of course there is always that "thing" that pops up and mine is I got my PF back in the same foot. Talked to the Pod and got a shot, most likely just because I am using the foot differently not with a better toe roll off. Ice and stretching (although I stretch my arches every morning)
I have settled in on a walk/run of 2 1/2 min racewalk with a 45 sec jog. So far this is working out fine. I may try to up the jog to one min and then the racewalk to 2 min at some point.

Take care everyone and keep on keeping on!
aka: Racey Tracy/Freckles Half Fanatic #299!!!!!
07,08,09,10,11WDW Half Marathon 12 WDW Full!! 13GOOFY08,09,10,11,12Miami ING Half Marathon 08A1A Ft. Lauderdale Half Mararthon 08Last WDW Minnie 15K 09,10,11,12WDW Princess Half 08/10DL Half Marathon &CtoC Medal 09Last Race for the Taste 10K 10/11 W&D Half 12ToT10miler 09/10/11/12Spacecoast Half Marathon
First Visit to Walt Disney World 1972
dsnyfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #261
sc_disdreamer
Earning My Ears

WISH Team

I hope I am in the right spot. I am new to the boards and ready to commit to doing the Princess Half at WDW in Feb. 2012. I have been an on-again, off-again runner for about two years and have only ever run 5Ks. I am determined to get of the couch and get running again - my goal is to finish the the half in the time required to receive a medal. I heard that joining a WISH team was a great way to stay motivated, receive encouragement and tips from experienced Disney race runners and to connect with others running in the half.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #262
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Welcome sc_dreamer. You will find people of all shapes. sizes and abilities on this board. things these days seem to be organized around races, so if you haven't joined the Princess thread, by all means do so.

And if you have any general questions, feel free to ask.

If you can do a 5k, then you are ready to start training for Princess. Find a plan, don't try to do too much-too soon, and take each training day one at a time.

Good luck,

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #263
Tiger Lily 03
Famous for my Potato Salad
Not nekid anymore ;-)
Flashed through and scooped up some beads in NawwwwLins

DISboards Moderator

Hi all. I am in for the training. Knee is healing and I have been putting in some walking. Got clearance to pick up my pace and have begun to work at that slowly hoping to it do too much to fast.

Whee! Here it goes!

Happy training all. Get better quickly for those with injuries.
Tiger Lily 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #264
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

I started to post on this tread yesterday and got busy...

Summer is coming to an end and the runs have been hot and hard for me. Now, comes the training for my first full in January. I'm using Hal Higdon's Marathon 3 plan. I have used his programs in the past, but have cut back to three runs a week and his usually call for more, but this is a 3 day run plan so I am going to try it.

Welcome to the many new runners/walker here. I come here for support and to have other chime in on questions that I have and I try to give encouragement to others.

My new toy (I got for Mother's Day) is the Nike sport watch. I love it and it is fun to see my mile splits and path I have taken and some other stuff that entertains me. Other news for me is I'm now an empty nester. I have two in college and two out with JOBS!

Hope everyone has had a great summer! And happy training.

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #265
Snowcatco
Earning My Ears

26 Days to the Wine & Dine Half!

Ran my longest run of my training for the Wine and Dine yesterday. 15 miles! How's your training for this race going?
Snowcatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #266
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Got out this morning for 12 miles..wasn't sure about the weather at bedtime last night as they said we would get much rain and thunder storms from left over Lee, but no rain just very very humid. I travel to CA to visit family this weekend and look forward to non humid running. Finish up in Denver to visit my son and wonder how the elevation will make me feel. Training is going fine for my first full in January.

Hope everyone is getting out and running/walking with a smile!

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #267
moonbill2002
Earning My Ears

Hi everyone! I thought I would introduce myself. I am pretty new to running and actually have always told myself I wasn't "a runner". In high school, my coach would make me run a lap for punishment (I was a diver/swimmer). I couldn't make it one lap without collapsing. Last year, I ran my first 5k in 35:06 and felt a HUGE sense of accomplishment. I have lost about 30lbs in the last year and feel ready to tackle a much bigger race.....the Tinkerbell Half in January!! I will be racing a 5k on October 8th, then a 10k on Thankgiving Day, which is about the halfway point to the Tink. I have just started my training, which is the Jeff Galloway method and I feel pretty good. Went out yesterday for my first outdoor training and did 2.5 miles in 30 minutes (please, no laughing from the experienced runners....I'm SLOOOOW). What was wonderful was I felt great....no huffing or puffing and I felt like that was something I could keep up for a sustained distance. The fact that I'm CHOOSING to run is a miracle! The girl who couldn't run was itching to go for a run today (but I didn't because I'm supposed to take a day off in between runs....lol). Looking forward to tomorrow when I can hit the road again for another training session! I'm so excited to see what my body is capable of and really amazed that I can go out for a "quick 2.5 mile run" when running more than 30 seconds was unheard of without wanting to die. I'm currently reading this book, Born to Run, and it's inspiring me to find the love of running, the freedom I feel when I run, etc.

Anyways, I just wanted to share with everyone where I came from and if I'm able to do this, anyone can!! I've always been in awe anyone that could run a few miles and now I'm THAT person Not only that, but I'm actually going to do 13.1 of them.....in a ROW! Still shaking my head in disbelief a little over that one....
moonbill2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #268
pensgirl10
Mouseketeer

Hello folks, another newcomer to this thread although I've posted around here a couple of times recently.

Jan from PA, 49-year-old runner of 2 1/2 years. My 2011 goals were a 50k in March and my 2nd marathon in May. A bad knee kept me out of both races. Toward mid-summer I could finally run without pain again and in August I decided 8 months was too long to wait to run a marathon. So I'm doing Las Vegas in December. I do have one "first" coming up....my first 1/2 marathon next month. Along the way I somehow missed doing that distance in an official race.

I am looking even farther ahead and planning for 2012. It would be great to make up that missed 50k in the winter. Then do something ambitious in honor of my 50th birthday....50 miles, or the Goofy Challenge, or BQ....my heart is racing just thinking about it. So many running possibilities.
pensgirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #269
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

moonbill2002Welcome! Sounds like you are making great, positive progress towards the Tink. Hope your other races are just as enjoyable.

Jan Welcome to the fun! I volunteered last weekend at an Ultra--they were doing 50k, 50 mile, 100k and 100 mile. I really came away with the sense of how different those kind of races can be. I would like to try a 50k at some point--for now I'm just trying to come back from a 4-month layoff due to injury, so 5k is my current limit! I understand your looking to do something ambitious for your 50. For me, it was to start running and to run a race. And bit by bit, it grew. Glad I was able to do Boston before this current setback, but hope to come back strong next year. Good luck with your training.

So I ran ~4.5 miles today trying to do some "speedwork". It was awful and wonderful at the same time. I am still trying to figure out how to ramp up without injury, but also train towards the half in January to run a respectable time. I will probably jumble a couple of plans together and dial (way) back on my training paces to start. I think I'll find a 5k to do at the end o the month to get a gauge of how I'm doing.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #270
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Jan & Maura - I can't encourage you enough to run an ultra. The ones I've done are some of the best events I've ever been a part of. They're much more laid-back than a regular race, the volunteers are off-the-charts helpful (they fill & replace the water bottles on your belt for you, for example), and the sense of camaraderie among the participants puts even the Disney races to shame.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: