Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #211
halvnorsk
Mouseketeer

Formal Introduction

Hi,

I've been haunting this board for about nine months now. I finally created a profile in Dec. 2010 and posted my first question earlier this month. Then I realized I had not officially posted on the main thread to join the WISH team.

So, here it goes -
I love it here! It's so informative, interesting and just plain entertaining. I have been a fitness runner for about 25 years, but didn't start racing until about five year ago. I did my first marathon in January - WDW of course. And I recently registered for the 2012 Goofy.

Looking Forward to Time Spent on the WISH Forum,
Old 04-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #212
johde
DIS Veteran

Hi All

MLA - Race pictures are real expensive. I've never bought one "yet". But if I get good pictures at Disneyland?

Maura - Yea for shorts. Around here we've been alternating between shorts weather and jacket weather. Good Luck Monday.

Tracy - Glad to hear the surgery went well. Hope you finish recovering quickly and can start training for the Marathon.

Diane - Good to hear the bike ride went well.

Cami - Welcome to the group.

AFM - I went out Saturday and did 4 miles after work. I tried upping my run/walk ratio. I felt pretty good. Sunday morning though, I woke up with a pain in my knee. I don't know if it was from the running or I slept on it wrong. I decided to take a few days off for the knee to get better. So, nothing until today when I did 3 miles. Right now, I feel pretty good.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #213
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

It's almost here...Maura and Cindy will be running the Boston Marathon!

Wishing you both all the best for a great run!

Go girls!

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #214
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Thanks, Joan. Heading out early tomorrow to drive the 750 miles to my Mom's. Why am I not nervous yet? Or had any race nightmares? Probably still un-believing.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #215
Tiger Lily 03
Famous for my Potato Salad
Not nekid anymore ;-)
Flashed through and scooped up some beads in NawwwwLins

DISboards Moderator

Well, looks like I will be derailed for a bit. Having arthroscopic knee surgery Tuesday April 26th for plica syndrome. Hope it is going to heal quickly. I have events planned and steps to take!

Hope everyone is doing well with training.
Tiger Lily 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #216
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Lily Good luck on th surgery. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

So I think I'm going to register for Boston again (or try--they've changed the procedures and we'll see if I can get in). This means I won't do Goofy this year. BUt I'd like to go to WDW for Marathon weekend and run a half as training. What I need is a partner for the marathon relay--seems like it would be fun to have a Chip/Dale medal versus another Donald. But there's no one I can think of at the moment to do it with me.

Otherwise, enjoyed a nice bike ride today and it's sunny and pleasant outside. Yeah

Maura
Old 04-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #217
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Before leaving for the holiday weekend, I signed up for the WDW full (took advantage of the Visa discount). It will be my first. DD wants to run it, but doesn't think she will have time to train properly..it will be her senior year at college. Well, Maura posts that she wants a partner to do the marathon relay and that gave me the idea that my DD and her brother could do the relay and get the new medal. He will be a freshman in college and I don't think he would want to take the time to train for a full with all the new experiences at college. Thanks to Maura who gave me the idea and didn't even know it!

Wow, suddenly the weather got really warm. Hope everyone is getting in those run/walks and x-training.

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #218
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Cami A belated welcome! Always interested in hearing from a new person--what's your next race?

Jeremy How's your knee doing?

Joan WTG for making it a family affair. My DD is starting her new job in November, and may not have time for even a weekend vacation, otherwise I would love to have done it with her (plus, she's fast!).

Easing my way back into running. Did 5.5 on Sunday--which was plenty--and 4 today. Legs are still a little on the tired side as evidenced by the challenge yoga has been! I figure I have another week or so before I figure out what to train for next. Since I may be visiting my daughter in Germany in the fall, I'm looking at doing the Cologne Half Marathon.

Maura
Old 04-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #219
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

I took a bit more of a break after my last half marathon than I intended. Between work insanity and the kids being on Spring Break (and a short trip to Baltimore's Inner Harbor), I got a little derailed.
Today I re-booted my training with a lovely 3 mile run outdoors. It felt great! I also signed up for an October 1/2 marathon to keep my motivation up.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #220
johde
DIS Veteran

Hi all.

Amanda - It's easy to do after a race. While I didn't drop clear off, I dropped way back after my half marathon.

Maura - Glad to hear recovery from Boston is going well. And excited to hear your going to try again to register. Hopefully there will still be slots open when your window opens up.

Joan - Good luck training for the WDW full marathon. If your kids are agreeable, I think the relay sounds like a neat idea.

Lily - Hope the surgury was sucessful. And you recover quickly.

I've somewhat decided the knee is not directly running related. For the most part it's been feeling good. I only had the 1 bad day. Although it occationally will get a little bit stiff if it remains inactive for a while. Like after my hour ride home from work.

Training has been going well. I'm getting back on track with my 3 runs a week. I'm currently training for a goal 5K on June 10th before transitions to training for the Disneyland half.

For the past couple of months I've been trying to shakeup my routine to attempt to break through some primarily psychological barriers. In training for my October half last year I got real good at doing run 1:00/walk something. I did the October half run 1:00/walk 2:00, and April 3rd's half was run 1:00/walk 1:00 even though I've been working on running more. Run 1:00 ish, is what feels good. So, I've been trying to avoid run 1:00 and try other things.

Apr 15 - run :30/walk :30 after warmup 3 miles total.

Apr 18 - Started out doing speedwork Ended up doing 2x400 then a 1 mile time trial (galloway magic mile).

April 20 - 1/2 mile warmup with a couple :30 run intervals. Run 1 mile no walking. 2.5 miles run :45/walk :45

April 23 5 miles run :45/walk 1:00

April 25 1/2mile warmup 1 mile tempo interval run 2:00/Walk 1:00, 1/2 mile recovery (with couple of short runs), 1 mile tempo interval run 1:20/Walk :40, 1/2 mile recovery, Slow run :30/walk :45.

Tomorrow will probably be similar to Apr 20th but 1.25mi no walking in the middle.

I'm coming up on a bit of a milestone. I don't have an exact date, but It was sometime Mid May 2 years ago I started getting serious about Distance training Approximately 1 year as a walker and now I year Walk/run.

A year ago Thursday, April 28 was my first walk with my Garmin. In the past year I've walked/ran 620miles, and it's taken me 161.5 hours to do it. My average pace in May was a 15:48 mile (Including walking a half marathon at a 16:00 pace). My average this Month has been 13:47 (including run/walking a half marathon at a 13:00 pace). Unfortunately I don't have any data from my first year as a walker (all I did was cross off days on copies of my training schedule).

My One PSA in this is if you don't keep a log. Start one. Especially starting out, being able to look back and see where I've come in the past year has been good. When you realize that lousy run yesterday, would have been cause for celebration 6 months ago.

Boy this got a whole lot longer than I had anticipated.

Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #221
halvnorsk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
Cami A belated welcome! Always interested in hearing from a new person--what's your next race?

Maura
I'm actually doing a 5k fun run this Sunday. It's a fundraiser for one of my children's schools - beats selling magazines! Short distances aren't my forte. But it's for a good cause.

I'm registered for the Goofy. My husband will be doing his first marathon that weekend too.

We'd both like to find a half to run before next January to keep our motivation up.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:08 AM   #222
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Jeremy - I have to tell you that you are such an inspiration to me! I know this journey has been challenging for you and you meet the challenge with such grace and determination. (btw - Are you the Jeremy at the end of the Galloway Extra Mile Podcast, episode 2? It sounded like he was talking about you and I was so excited that I "knew" someone on the podcast!)

Cami - Welcome! I'm running my first at Disney in January, too. You can tell your DH that I'm happy to know there will be other 1st time marathoners!!!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #223
johde
DIS Veteran

Amanda - Yes I'm that Jeremy. Although Kevin didn't quite relay the exact question I was wanting asked. Jeff's answer was close enough to validate I'm was mostly doing the right thing with experimenting I've been doing.

ETA: The new Galloway Extra mile is up. I'm in it again aprox. 27:00 in.

Last edited by johde; 04-27-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #224
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Hi all,

Ran what I thought was a "fast" 6 miles today, although it ended up being less fast than I thought! Oh well.

So in the "Better safe than sorry" category (sorta), I went ahead and booked a hotel room in Boston for next April. Just in case I get into the marathon. I think if I do, I'd spend some time at my mom's and then go into town for a couple of days. Even now, the rates for that period are stupid high, so I did the best I could.

Training for ????? starts tomorrow--who knows! I am going to try and start swimming again and will work on an "attitude adjustment" for this endeavor. Want to do swim, nike run training in case I cave and do a triathlon somewhere along the way. Plus I've got a bike trip to WA coming up in July, so need to get on the road.

Hope all is well in WISH-land.

Maura
Old 05-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #225
MouseDogMom
DIS Veteran

Maura - Always better to have the room! I found the room I wanted in DC for MCM, then didn't book it. My buddy who's running with me did. I'm now paying around $100/night more than she is for the same hotel... But we're at the finish line, and won't have to face the 90 minute wait for the shuttle and/or metro to get back to the hotel like we did last year. I'm pretty sure any amount of money will be worth it at that point in time!

Jeremy - This week marks the 5th anniversary of my first 5K (at WDW, where else?) and the beginning of my distance running journey as well. I actually started running in February to prepare for the 5K, but met the WISH gang in person in May. You are so right - it's amazing to go back and see where I began. Sometimes it's fun to read some of the old (then weekly) threads and see what were major accomplishments at the time. You've come a long way. And by the way, so has Maura! I remember when she started - and now she's completed Boston!

Cami - How was your 5K? It's fun sometimes to do one just to experience a different side of the running community. DH and I ran one yesterday. The training is a whole different mindset, though, so we're definitely not competitive. Don't know how far you want to travel for a half, but we have two here in NC this fall. One is a brand new one in Durham in October on the 16th (technically for women only, but they're allowing men to run too,) and one in Raleigh on Nov 6th. Our Galloway group director is the race director for the Raleigh one, and it's a great race.

Amanda - LOVE the Inner Harbor area. I'd love to do the Baltimore race one year, but it keeps conflicting with other races on my schedule. Too many races, too few weekends!

Lily - Hope the recovery is going well!

So I've been trying to ease back into running slowly. Building my run/walk intervals gradually. Had made it to a 3/1 run/walk for the past couple of weeks, so I'd decided that I could probably finish the 5K on Saturday doing those intervals. Figured I'd be happy with a time of 36:00 or so, since I'd only been running again for 6 weeks. (My PR for a 5K was at this race last year - 30:51) Went out comfortable on the first mile, did the intervals, finished the first mile in 11:47. Started the second mile, and when the time came for the walk break, just didn't take it. Took a 1:00 break at the end of the second mile, and didn't walk again until I crossed the finish line and pretty nearly fell over! Garmin said 34:43. Their clock said 35:06, which made sense since I was way back in the pack. Official time says 35:15, which does NOT make sense. I'm going with the 34:43! Needless to say, I pushed myself much harder than I should have, and I am quite sore today. But quite proud.

We're in the midst of negotiating with ourselves, trying to decide if we're coming in January. It's all Maura's fault! Her post looking for relay partners appeared the same day a friend of ours mentioned that they'd like to run the half at Disney, and I told DH I didn't particularly want another Mickey or Donald medal, but I'd like a Chip or Dale. He's not interested in the relay, but I told him I thought I could find someone to run with... And it turns out there are a bunch of people looking for partners! Unfortunately, we've missed all the good discounts on registration, although our Galloway group gets a whopping $5 off. That really sends me to the computer to hit "register!"

The Galloway group season starts next weekend. We had our kickoff last weekend, with Jeff in town to do his sales pitch. Since DH is going to be a group leader, we got to go to the reception the night before and meet him one on one. Much nicer to talk to him there than in a crowd of 200 people!

Jackie

MouseDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: