Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #196
Qltrgrl2
DIS Veteran

Joan,
Thanks for the kind words. I noticed you also live in NC.....do you ever race in Wilmington?
Happy Running, Pam
Qltrgrl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #197
WVUFan
Mouseketeer

I don't post often (but I follow a lot!), but I had a great race experience this morning that I wanted to share. I was running a 5k in great conditions for me, and I thought I could PR and possibly even break my next minute goal. I was well on my way until mile 3 when I could see the finish but felt myself slowing. The man who had been right behind me for most of the race said, "Come on, we can pick up the pace to the end!" He was there for the last part encouraging me, and told me to run ahead as we got to the finish. I now have a PR and made my goal by 1 second! I'm am thankful for runners like him who help others suceeded. There are so many unsung heros who help us along in running and in life. You all are part of those who keep me encouraged.
WVUFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #198
DianeL
DIS Veteran

Welcome Pam!!!

WVUFan ... Congrats on the new PR! What a great experience! What a wonderful guy

Amanda... Getting closer to the race The fall race sounds cool

Joan? The boss said hello. He about floored both me and my co-worker when he walked by my desk this past Monday and said "Good Morning Joan" Some days he just scares me

Lily

Another week at the gym. Skipped my class though Friday. Sported beautiful bright green tape from Tuesday on. Note to self: more subtle colored tape is a better idea for the work week. The good news is I don't have shooting pains when standing. So it's getting there. Just not as fast as I would like.

Have a great weekend!!!!

Finished:
2006, 2007, 2009 WDW Half Marathon DL 2006 Inaugural 1/2 Marathon 2007 ToT 13K 2008 Marathon &5k 2008 Minnie 5K & 15K 2008 DL Half - Coast to Coast Challenge 2008 WDW Expedition Everest Challenge 2009 Princess Half GOOFY2010

DianeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #199
MouseDogMom
DIS Veteran

Wow. Thought I was pretty current on this thread, but realized that it must have been a while!

Qltrgrl2 - We're looking at the Fort Fisher 5k in a couple of weeks. Trying really hard to justify getting up at 4AM to drive that far for a 5K. But then we started thinking about going to Britt's for donuts afterwards...

Diane - I had my leg taped in orange and black for MCM last year. The race was on Halloween. That was colorful, to say the least!

Maura - You have to get the jacket. That's all there is to it. And if I show the Martian medal to DH, we'll be roadtripping to Michigan before I know it!

WVUFan - It's runners like that who make me proud to be part of this community. The last race I ran (Turkey Trot last Thanksgiving) I was feeling like I was dying and was getting ready to throw in the towel and walk it in, when a woman came up behind me and told me she was pacing off of me because I looked so strong. Suddenly I had all sorts of energy, and finished just a few seconds short of a PR!

Jeremy - Glad the change in medication worked so well for your mom. I have huge amounts of respect for you and your dad for being able to do what you're doing.

Tracy - Even we southerners break out the shorts for running when it hits the 50's. But I still keep the gloves!

Wasabi girl - Welcome! It's perfectly okay to obsess over every detail here. We've all done it. And still do it. And do the rest days. Especially once you're of a certain age. The body will thank you!

Cindy - I love your training technique. Train for a full so the halfs seem easy. DH needs to learn that one. He did exactly the opposite. He's only done halfs, so all of his training has been 10-14 mile long runs. Two weeks ago, on a whim, he signed up for a full at the expo. Ran a perfectly respectable 4:10, but boy did he pay for it the next few days!

I'm just beginning to get out and run since the doctor cleared me to run post-surgery. I've done most of my runs on the TM, but have actually been outside twice. I'm up to almost 3 miles, all done at a 1/1 run/walk interval. I'm planning to run a 5K here in Raleigh on the 30th, and think I'm going to do the 8K in Williamsburg on May 21st. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Jackie

MouseDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #200
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Hey...checking in on a rare Sunday without a run. Course, I did the Martian 1/2 yesterday. I did a race report over on the race thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2689708

Long story short....good weather, PR'ed but didn't (yet....course was long and results may be adjusted), met Todd (jeanigor) and Susie(mousemgr2). Medal is cute, but less hefty than last year. Shirt is pretty good, though. And it is nice and reasonably flat running on Hines Drive--not a lot of spectators, and there isn't entertainment on the course, but that's not my bag anyway.

Pam You're one fast newbie! I bet that you will see great improvements in your times this year. Then we'll have you thinking of doing a full marathon!

WVUFan Congrats on your PR and that's a great story. I am so focused on my own running that I am not sure I would be aware enough/unselfish enough to do what he did. Kudos to the unknown runner.

Diane Thought of you running yesterday when I went by the spot where you cheered last year. Gave me a boost---just as though you were there!

Jackie Glad your recovery is going well and that you are running outdoors. I think it would be neat to run at Williamsburg.

Hi to Joan and Lily

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #201
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Wow, what's with the incorrect race distances this weekend...maybe our world is out of wack with all the natural disasters....
My DD called Saturday morning to tell me about her 5K and she had run it in 25 something, but was checking her electronics and it was only coming up to 2.8 miles and then her friend said his said something around 2.87 so, it was a very short 5k??? Guess Maura's race got the difference

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #202
johde
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone.

Got back about an hour ago from Xenia and my Half marathon. I left a full Report on the Race Report Thread

The short version is new PR of 2:51:02 on a course that was hiller than I expected. It wasn't really hilly but I was expecting flat after the first couple of miles. That beats my prior PR set at the Columbus Marathon of 3:07:43.

Dad did pretty well with me gone for a few days. Mom was excited to see me when I got back. Not sure how things will go when I'm gone for 10 days this fall for Disneyland.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #203
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Yeah for Jeremy
And cutting almost 17 minutes is great
Gotta learn to love those hills

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #204
DianeL
DIS Veteran

Awesome job Jeremy!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!

Finished:
2006, 2007, 2009 WDW Half Marathon DL 2006 Inaugural 1/2 Marathon 2007 ToT 13K 2008 Marathon &5k 2008 Minnie 5K & 15K 2008 DL Half - Coast to Coast Challenge 2008 WDW Expedition Everest Challenge 2009 Princess Half GOOFY2010

Old 04-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #205
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Go Jeremy!!!

My race this weekend was also great! I cut my half marathon time from 2:44:15 at Disney to 2:36:41 yesterday (less than 3 months later!). It was a really fun race (well, not as fun as Disney but still fun!) and the weather was beautiful. I was a bit cold before the start but it was sunny and nice. We did 2+ laps through Central Park. As you would expect from a spring day in NYC, Central Park was filled with people just going about their business. Gotta love that 7500 runners barely makes an impact!

Thanks for the encouragement and support!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #206
johde
DIS Veteran

Great job Amanda. It's great when hard work pays off.

Joan - The hills themselves weren't bad. At least you got a break on the downhills. The problem with this one was a 10 mile straight section (1/2 marathoners did 4 of them) that was slightly uphill. And it was more mental than physical. You look out and as far as the eye could see was this slight uphill. I got to the turn around and started "downhill" and my only thought was "this doesn't feel or look like were going downhill". For me, having some more bends to the trail would have been better to break up the visuals.

I got my first recovery jog in today. I did 3 slow miles. I would have done it earlier but Monday had heavy rain all day and yesterday was a long day at work. I e-mail my time to Run Disney and updated my expected finish to 2:41. I received a pair of e-mails back from then today with the update. I've felt better after this half than the first 2.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #207
mla1977
I dream of living in Bay Lake Tower for the rest of my life!

I finally sucked it up and order the CD of my marathon pictures...

My wallet is crying.
mla1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #208
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Last long run of the training plan today....10 miles is done.

Amanda A little late, but great result!

Megan I have yet to spend the dough for pictures. Or shadowboxes, or race souvenirs. I think that might end this coming weekend.

Diane How was your biike ride?

The Martian Marathon results were adjusted to reflect 13.1 miles and now I have a 1:48:3. So a 2 minute PR and as usual I am saying that "THAT is as fast as it will ever get, and I now I can run halfs for fun". We'll see if that holds.

And I ran in shorts today! Yippee!

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #209
dsnyfan21
I'd rather be on Main Street in WDW!

Hello Fellow WISHers...

Jeremy - great job!!

Jackie - so glad you are recovering and able to get outside for some miles I am chomping at the bit!!

Maura - I am so excited for your up and coming Boston race, whoo hoo!!
DianeL - hey girl, as a previous and sometimes PF sufferer, I feel for ya!.

AFM - I had my surgery on April 1st. Surgery was around 8am and with no issues. Got home and pretty much rested and iced most of that day. Foot was totally numb for most of that day. Next day I started with the pain meds as feeling started to come back. I have to wear a boot (camwalker) until further notice. I went to the doc for post op on Tuesday and got my dressings/wrappings changed. Took new xrays and I have a lovely pin to hold the metatarsal in a better position. I feel I am recovering well, I got off the pain meds around Wed and switched to Advil and really haven't taken any of that since Friday. Went back to work Thursday half day and all day Friday.
I am decided to take my sorry butt out to walk with the boot. So I have done a few 1 mile walks with that darn HEAVY thing (it weighs 2lbs.)
I am still icing, but swelling isn't a big concern unless I am on my foot most of the day (like at work). The doc was great and called me the next day to see how I was doing. He told me Tuesday that I was looking good to start that whole marathon training thing that I have been talking about.
Soooooo..... I did it!! I hit that submit button and I am OFFCIALLY signed up for my first FULL marathon at WDW 2012!! I know with all you guys support I will get through the training and the race itself.
Take care everyone and keep on keeping on!!

Tracy
aka: Racey Tracy/Freckles Half Fanatic #299!!!!!
07,08,09,10,11WDW Half Marathon 12 WDW Full!! 13GOOFY08,09,10,11,12Miami ING Half Marathon 08A1A Ft. Lauderdale Half Mararthon 08Last WDW Minnie 15K 09,10,11,12WDW Princess Half 08/10DL Half Marathon &CtoC Medal 09Last Race for the Taste 10K 10/11 W&D Half 12ToT10miler 09/10/11/12Spacecoast Half Marathon
First Visit to Walt Disney World 1972
dsnyfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #210
DianeL
DIS Veteran

Maura*yawn* I'm tired! I hit the snooze this morning and laid there praying for thunder Whenever I do these mornings I ask myself if I've lost my mind and if getting faster really is all that important

This mornings ride went well. I tried to ride in capri length tights and was told I might want to rethink that. Thankfully I'm used to MI weather and had packed in case of that so had some baggy jeans in the car to toss on over the tights. Plus with the chance of rain I had clothes for after just in case of a drenching.

I opted for the jacket and tech shirts. So was comfy and sometimes cold. wish I had brought something to cover my ears. My tech hoody has those built in mittens and I kept meaning to pull them over my gloves especially on the return as the wind was in my face. We hit the fog on the return. It was a lovely ride and the only thing I wish I could have changed was some money in pocket when we rode by a restaurant and I smelled breakfast cooking.

13.86 miles with I think the garmin said 8.2 mph avg. Which is what I did last night too. Could have gone faster probably. Did some coasting and chatting. Quite happy with my 2nd long (for now!) ride.

My foot did fine. Was getting a bit cranky before I got home but after the ride I went to a cooking demo and then walked a bit. spending the rest of the day with my feet up

Dr appt tomorrow evening. It's not hurting much today. Just got cranky when I did a bit too much with standing on it. So I think I will do the elliptical again this week and now toss in some longer rides.

Tracy I noticed that we could do a 3 leg. Course the moment you pull out the camera we'd be lost LOL I'm just not that coordinated. In fact everytme I tried to look at the birds or rabbits this morning I almost went off the trail Thank goodness I wore a helmet

mla even though the wallet is crying you will love the photos Enjoy reliving your happy day!!!! and may you have more happy finishlines to celebrate

Jeremy "You look out and as far as the eye could see was this slight uphill." UGH!!! Wince. Glad your recovery run went well.

Amanda Congrats!!!! That is an awesome shaving of the time!!! Woohoo a new PR for Amanda!!!!

BOSTON RUNNERS!!! 1 WEEK till you ROCK THE COURSE!!!! WOOHOO!!!

Now I'm off to snooze I can't stop yawning. Late night. Waaaay to early morning. snore

Finished:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: