Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Koda
Mouseketeer

Fuel during the 1/2?

Do most runners use Gu or some other quick fuel during the 1/2? If so, when do you take it?

I have only done one other 1/2 (May 2012), and did not fuel during the race, only drank water. I felt fairly good afterwards, but think that I might feel better by fueling during the race. I recently used a Gu packet during my 9 mile run. I took 1/2 of the packet at the 4.5 mile point along with 4-5 ounces of water. I was worried about getting stomach cramps, which is why I only took 1/2 the packet. My stomach was fine, and I am wondering if maybe for my 10 mile run, I should take 1/2 the pacet at mile 4, and 1/2 at mile 7.

Any input for what works for others would be great! Are there pros and cons to the different kinds of fuel (gel, chews, beans, etc)?

Thanks!
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
steph0808
Mouseketeer

It is all personal. I don't like the taste or consistency of GU, so I use the Jelly Belly Sport Beans. I eat a pack every 5 miles during my longer training runs and races.
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Gels are generally the most portable form of fuel due to the small single serving size. You will find many folks who prefer the other forms - generally due ot the texture issues with a gel. But by the same token, the other forms can also create issues just as much as the gel. In short, it is all about what works best for YOU.

I would start off experimenting with fuel at the 45 minute mark of you run. Then fuel again on the same interval. Note that one can easily push this interval around from 30 minutes all the way out to 75 minutes per gel. Play around on your long runs and see what works best for you. Note that we are all an experiment of one and the interval that works for one may not work for you. Work on figuring out a time interval first then apply that to a race map.

Note that I would take a full packet at the aid station and work from that. If a packet is too much, then take a half and roll the top over and then take the remainder at the very next stop.

For Disney, fuel is handed up at mile 9. It is a Cliff product and comes in the form of gels and blocks. Most mid to back of pack runners will want fuel prior to then. So as you come onto your interval, look at the map to see where the aid stations line up with your time interval and pace. More than likely you will be fueling at the 3, 4 or 6 mile aid station. Then following up at the 6 or 10 mile stations.

Hope this helps
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Reep
Mouseketeer

I've transitioned over the years from nothing, to gels, to shot blocks (3), and now single shot bloks. Gels made me nauseous and want to gag.

I now do a single shot block about every two miles = five bloks for the race. I found taking smaller portions more frequently reduced the nausea and also helps keep the blood sugar level more consistent. Also, it's easier to chew up one while racing than trying to get three down. Even if you aren't racing I think there is a good scientific basis for taking smaller portions more frequently.

Everyone is different though so you should experiment.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
DIS-OH
Mouseketeer

I use the Jelly Belly Sports Beans. They come in a variety of flavors. Once you find a flavor you like, you can order in bulk from the Jelly Belly website. Makes them a bit cheaper than single packs at sporting goods stores.

Like others have said, you have to experiment and find what works best for you.

Trip #33...December 2014 at POFQ...Holiday decorations trip!

Trip #34...February 2015...our 6th Princess Half Marathon...doing the Glass Slipper challenge!

Stayed at CR, POFQ, POR, CBR, ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, POP, WL, YC and BWV--with POFQ and YC as our current favorites!
DIS-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

I eat Clif Shot Bloks. And I'll eat Luna bars during my longest runs.

I've tried all sorts of things though. It's definitely a trial and error thing.
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

It depends on how I'm handling the race. If I'm racing it, I will have a goo every 30 minutes. If I'm just out for an easy run, then I'll have one somewhere around mile 8 or 9. As far as what works, I think that's something that each person needs to find out for themselves. Some brands and flavors don't work well for everyone. Personally, I use Clif's goo and blocks (chocolate, razz, and berry) and Sport Beans (fruit punch).

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
momhmmx2
Life is a gift...Have Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
I've transitioned over the years from nothing, to gels, to shot blocks (3), and now single shot bloks. Gels made me nauseous and want to gag.

I now do a single shot block about every two miles = five bloks for the race. I found taking smaller portions more frequently reduced the nausea and also helps keep the blood sugar level more consistent. Also, it's easier to chew up one while racing than trying to get three down. Even if you aren't racing I think there is a good scientific basis for taking smaller portions more frequently.

Everyone is different though so you should experiment.
I like this idea..May have to try this! I usually start at the three mile mark and take 4 chomps then 4 chomps every 30minutes..

Me,DH;dd16,ds13
momhmmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: