Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #31
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNYBOT View Post
I want to try the cruise and have two kids under 12. Thing is my wife and I hate always being around little kids that are not ours. Anyone else feel that way. Needless to say we're not teachers. Our kids are fairly well behaved and we hate being around bratty kids. Would you recomment we avaoid the Disney Cruise?
Truthfully, on 7 cruises I've run into more bratty adults than bratty kids. Now I have seen tired, overwhelmed, and excited kids...but I usually feel (and behave) that way myself while doing anything Disney.

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #32
cruisindisney
Mouseketeer

My DH made a new rule on our first DCL cruise, There is no Complaining on a Disney Cruise.

We had the rudest and most annoying people at the table near us that made our wait staff's jobs excruciating. The fact is that their behavior is the reason that they had problems, not the staff. Their complaining almost made our cruise experience bad, but once we figured out what was going on we sat back and let our staff take care of the problem people and then we ended up getting the BEST service because we told them to take their time and we would be fine. It's vacation, time to relax.

All Star Sports-Expedition Everest 5K May 2013/Caribbean Beach November 2012/Pop October 2011/Disney Cruise Mexican Riviera-Disneyland May 2011/Paradise Pier May 2010/POP Jan 2009/ASMovies May 2008/Disney Cruise May 2008/POP Feb 2005
cruisindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #33
ashman
DIS Veteran

Cruise tip in general not just DCL, when heading out for a day in the sun (especially at Castaway Cay), lather the troops up in your stateroom before heading off the ship. You may have to re-apply later, but your kids will love you for letting them hit the water ASAP. It is murder on kids to get sun screen applied whilst they look longingly at the water.

Also in the sun screen department, the spray stuff is useless on the beach, too windy.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #34
Meredisney
DIS Veteran

Location: "second STAR to the right, and straight on 'til morning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneycrazee View Post
Join a fish extender group if you get the chance, its great fun!
I agree. We do our FE gifts on the first night of the cruise. It gives us a chance to explore the ship!

My tips to add to the list:

1. You can carry your own wine & alcohol on board. Disney is one of the only cruiselines that allow this! Make sure you bring a wine opener. They will charge a corkage fee in the dining room. Also, you cannot carry open alcohol off the ship and unopened alcohol counts against your customs limit so plan on drinking what you bring.

2. Highlighters are a must for us! We use them to highlight the activities in the Navigator that we'd like to participate in.

3. Bring a sweater or jacket with you...even in the heat of the summer. Some areas of the ship like the theaters are kept cool, and it can be cool and windy on deck in the evening.

4. Ladies, if you plan on wearing your hair down, bring a clip or poneytail holder for when you go out on the deck. Again, it gets very windy and you hair will be all over the place.

5. Purchase the Tropical Rainforest Pass. It entitles you to use the Tropical Rainforest in the Vista Spa throughout your cruise. The Tropical Rainforest has two steams rooms, one large sauna room, two aromatic showers, and heated tile loungers that are heavenly! i believe the pass is only $10-$15 a day. It's a bargin!

Future: Disney Dream - 11/14/2014
Completed: Disney Dream Charity Preview Cruise - 01/21/11; Carnival Dream - 07/31/10; Disney Wonder - 11/05/09; Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 03/30/09; Celebrity Solstice - 11/21/08 charter pre-inaugural 2 day cruise to nowhere; Disney Wonder - 11/01/07; Caribbean Princess - 9/24/05; Carnival Fascination - 11/08/04; Disney Magic - 03/27/04; Disney Wonder - 10/02/03; Disney Wonder - 5/16/02
Meredisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #35
Pooh667
Mouseketeer

I have learned that sipping ice cream sodas while watching a Disney movie on the outdoor big screen is very relaxing!!! We do this several times during our cruises.
All Star Sports & Contemporary 2004
Saratoga Springs 2005 - 2014
Disneyland 2006, 2012
Disney Cruise 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011
Pooh667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #36
ladypirate
Mouseketeer

@Susan - yes, sipping on any drink outside under the stars is well worth it even if it's your sports team sucking it up or watching Cinderella.

ladypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #37
glassslipper2004
DIS Veteran

Kennybot - If you don't like being around other people's kids, you probably shouldn't do a cruise at all. The ship is big but of course not that big -- there are always kids around. Unless you are going to put your own kids in the kids' clubs all the time and spend your time in the adult only areas, you may well be unhappy.
1980; 1990 - WDW - college graduation; 1993 - WDW - Grand Floridian honeymoon trip; 2003 - WDW - (offsite) first time with our girls - we celebrate DH's birthday; 2004 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge; 2006 - WDW - (offsite) and we again celebrate DH's birthday; 2006 - Disney Wonder 4-night cruise; 2007 - Disney Wonder Cruise and WDW Yacht Club -- fun at Stormalong Bay!; 2008 - Viva Italia ABD; 2009 - Disney Hollywood Studios; 2009 - Southwest Splendors ABD; 2010 - Israel; 2010 - Paris/London; 2011 - Disney Dream, Poly and Beach Club

Upcoming: August 2013 Med cruise
glassslipper2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #38
glassslipper2004
DIS Veteran

Pohh667 - Where did you get the ice cream sodas? Did you just mix soda from the self-serve soda area with the soft serve ice cream? It's a wonderful idea!

Anyone know if they have root beer at the self serve soda area?

This gives me another idea - how about coffee mixed with vanilla ice cream? Mmmn.
1980; 1990 - WDW - college graduation; 1993 - WDW - Grand Floridian honeymoon trip; 2003 - WDW - (offsite) first time with our girls - we celebrate DH's birthday; 2004 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge; 2006 - WDW - (offsite) and we again celebrate DH's birthday; 2006 - Disney Wonder 4-night cruise; 2007 - Disney Wonder Cruise and WDW Yacht Club -- fun at Stormalong Bay!; 2008 - Viva Italia ABD; 2009 - Disney Hollywood Studios; 2009 - Southwest Splendors ABD; 2010 - Israel; 2010 - Paris/London; 2011 - Disney Dream, Poly and Beach Club

Upcoming: August 2013 Med cruise
glassslipper2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #39
Pooh667
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassslipper2004 View Post
Pohh667 - Where did you get the ice cream sodas? Did you just mix soda from the self-serve soda area with the soft serve ice cream? It's a wonderful idea!

Anyone know if they have root beer at the self serve soda area?

This gives me another idea - how about coffee mixed with vanilla ice cream? Mmmn.
We just mixed the soft serve ice cream with soda from the self serve machine. So simple but, so relaxing.
All Star Sports & Contemporary 2004
Saratoga Springs 2005 - 2014
Disneyland 2006, 2012
Disney Cruise 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011
Pooh667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #40
Beachmum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I want to try the cruise and have two kids under 12. Thing is my wife and I hate always being around little kids that are not ours. Anyone else feel that way. Needless to say we're not teachers. Our kids are fairly well behaved and we hate being around bratty kids. Would you recomment we avaoid the Disney Cruise?
I feel the same way much of the time. (Oops. Now those that know I'm going to be on their cruise will avoid me. :-) )

That said, I've found that travelling when most kids are in school is a great way to meet people who have lovely children.

For example, last year we were at a nice resort in Puerto Vallarta and only met really great families with children the same age as ours (currently five and seven). I seriously can't remember even one family where the children were brats. Perhaps it's just been good luck on out part...
Beachmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #41
ribica
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Hi KENNYBOT,
I don't know anyone who LIKES being around bratty kids! If you don't like to be around little kids that aren't yours, you should probably stay home
Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #42
Basil of Baker St
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypirate View Post
Just got off the Wonder Christmas cruise on Thursday. This was our 2nd cruise (last one was Aug 2009). During the long 9 hour drive home, my mind started wandering and i came up with a top 10 list of my own...

5. Travel iron - do not bring it. Use the full size iron and ironing board in the laundry room on Deck 2. It works great and there is never anyone else using it.

Sarah
We're going on the Magic next week and I was wondering if there is an ironing board/iron in the Deck 2 laundry room as well?

Thanks!
Basil of Baker St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #43
Basil of Baker St
Mouseketeer

So do we still need dollars for room service tips or can we charge them to the room? There a little bit of conflicting info about this.

Thanks for all the ideas and tips!!
Basil of Baker St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #44
ribica
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil of Baker St View Post
So do we still need dollars for room service tips or can we charge them to the room? There a little bit of conflicting info about this.

Thanks for all the ideas and tips!!
Hi there,

I would personally bring dollars anyway so that the server can just pocket the money rather than wait for the shipboard accounts to be settled. That's just my opinion. Cash is always best
Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #45
UncleLarry
Mouseketeer

1. Don't try to do everything on the Navigator. If you miss something, there will be something just as good if not better to do in a couple hours. On our first cruise, it seemed like we were running from activity to activity non-stop. The stress from that and the disappointment from missing something took away from the enjoyment.

2. Realize that different people get enjoyment from different things. Some people seem to live for looking down their noses at people. Some people seem to think that you are on their cruise and must put their wants and desires first. Avoid these people.

3. Let the kids know that this is a Family vacation, not a "kids get what they want whenever they want it" cruise.

4. Convince your wife that you do not need to stand in every picture/character meet line you see. This is good way to lose many hours of your vacation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: