Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
momof3girls6712
DIS Veteran

Stressed about where to stay

This will be our first trip to Orlando where we do not see the Mouse. I was out voted by the family. So we are off to see Harry Potter. The problem is I have only ever stayed on Disney property and I am completely overwhelmed by the choices for Universal. How do you weed through all of the options? We wanted to stay onsite, but this is a last minute trip that we want to keep the room around 130 a night so it doesn't look like onsite is an option. Any suggestions and help would be very appreciated.

The dates are February 18 - 21 (not set in stone, yet). And it looks like there will be 6 of us. We still haven't heard for sure that my daughter's friend can come, but it is probally a yes. So 2 adults, 4 kids. We are not real picky when it comes to rooms since we basically just sleep there, but I want to make sure its clean and safe.
May 2 2008 - Quick day trip to Epcot
MAY 11 - 15 2008 - POR + DxDDP
Feb 26 - March 1 2010- POR + DxDDP
Feb 10-Feb 14 2011 - 1st Universal trip and 1st staying at Bonnet Creek
momof3girls6712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins

Have you checked for FL residents rates at the Universal hotels? Usually Royal Pacific is the least and about what you want to pay. Otherwise, how about the Doubletree that's right across the street? It's nice, though lately we've been staying at the Best Western Universal. It's less money and includes a breakfast buffet.

We've also stayed at the very nearby Hawthorne Suites which gives you more space, a kitchenette, and a free breakfast.

Have lots of fun.

Register to remove

Old 01-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Miniefan
DIS Veteran

Been on two Universal only trips to Orlando. Stayed off-site both times. We stayed at Double Tree Universal and Sheraton Studio city. We liked both, both were very comparable, double tree was obviously closer but they also charge a 12/day parking fee My kids and hubby like Sheraton better, I guess I did too. I booked them both on Hotwire and part of the reason I didn't like double tree so much is this- when we arrived they put us in a fabulous room, a suite overlooking Uni and we were unpacking and the hotel called and said there was a problem with the room and it needed to be worked on so they were moving us to another room but not to worry it would be equally great. They came up, gave us the key to the new room, man I was mad, it was tiny and overlooked the back of the hotel roof and parking lot. Don't get me wrong, the room was fine, the view not but hey we were there to do the parks not look out the window. I was upset because I feel they were full of bull, I think the girl who put us in that room probably got chewed out bcause it was the week after Christmas, super busy and she put us in a Universal View Suite for $35/ night. I still had a great time but that ticked me off. Sheraton was great, no problems what so ever, roomy plenty of room to move around in, all their rooms have great views, with huge picture windows, it is a little further to uni resort but they also don't charge for parking.

Good luck!!

Kim
Old 01-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Miniefan
DIS Veteran

Forgot to add- they are both very reasonable rate wise.

Plus there is also The Doubletree Castle Hotel, a neat Castle shaped hotel- never been there, mil did, she said it was very nice, but a little further from Uni

When I say these are further, I mean a block or two.

Kim
Old 01-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
iluvflorida
Mouseketeer

Stressed

Don't want to add to your stress but if you go Feb 18-21 you will be. That is Daytona 500 weekend and motels/hotels are very hard to find if not impossible even in Orlando area. They will be expensive. Pick another weekend if you can.
iluvflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
momof3girls6712
DIS Veteran

Thanks to the threads on here I have contacted Ken Price and it looks like we will be staying at Bonnet Creek. We are either changing to the weekend of February 4th or 11th. There will be 6 of us in our group so even with the FL rate staying onsite is out cause it would take 2 rooms.

I love Disboards! Everyone is so helpful.
May 2 2008 - Quick day trip to Epcot
MAY 11 - 15 2008 - POR + DxDDP
Feb 26 - March 1 2010- POR + DxDDP
Feb 10-Feb 14 2011 - 1st Universal trip and 1st staying at Bonnet Creek
momof3girls6712 is offline   Reply With Quote