Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #76
photographymom517
DIS Veteran

I just read all 5 pages of your report!!!

I have tons of comments, but I'll just stick to a few! First of all, I can't believe how crowded the parks were! Ahhhh! It reminds me of mid-June when we were there (only we were sweating because of the humidity!) I also can't believe how cold it was! It looks like you all had a great time despite the cold temps.

Love ALL the pictures of Lucy!!! She's adorable! It looks like she had a really good trip to Disney!!!! I loved her Christmas outfit too!

It sounds like you had alot of really great meals. I really want to try Teppan Edo & Ohana on our next trip. Also, we're planning to stay at one of the Port Orleans resorts...have any tips for me? (I'm going to start a PTR soon so please leave me any advice you have there...I need alot of tips because we've never stayed at either & can't make up our minds!!)

I love how you did the eating around the world at Epcot!!! I might try that next trip! All of the things you tried looking delicious! I was disappointed because they were out of school bread during my trip & I couldn't find the jalapeno or cream cheese pretzels.

Your photo session turned out really great!!! It was a great surprise for your wife!

I know I had about a million more comments but I can't remember them all now. I should've written them down as I read along! I'm going to start reading your PTR tomorrow. I really enjoyed your trip report & learned alot along the way!!! Thanks for sharing with us!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #77
Purpleblanket
Mouseketeer

Great Trip Report!

Just found it this morning and read right through!!
We arrived on Dec. 27th to POP just as you were leaving!
It was cold for most of that week as well. It finally warmed up on Dec. 30th!

I like how you ate your way around Epcot WS!! On NYE, we drank our way around the world!!

Looking forward to more photos!

Debbie
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #78
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographymom517 View Post
I just read all 5 pages of your report!!!

I have tons of comments, but I'll just stick to a few! First of all, I can't believe how crowded the parks were! Ahhhh! It reminds me of mid-June when we were there (only we were sweating because of the humidity!) I also can't believe how cold it was! It looks like you all had a great time despite the cold temps.

Love ALL the pictures of Lucy!!! She's adorable! It looks like she had a really good trip to Disney!!!! I loved her Christmas outfit too!

It sounds like you had alot of really great meals. I really want to try Teppan Edo & Ohana on our next trip. Also, we're planning to stay at one of the Port Orleans resorts...have any tips for me? (I'm going to start a PTR soon so please leave me any advice you have there...I need alot of tips because we've never stayed at either & can't make up our minds!!)

I love how you did the eating around the world at Epcot!!! I might try that next trip! All of the things you tried looking delicious! I was disappointed because they were out of school bread during my trip & I couldn't find the jalapeno or cream cheese pretzels.

Your photo session turned out really great!!! It was a great surprise for your wife!

I know I had about a million more comments but I can't remember them all now. I should've written them down as I read along! I'm going to start reading your PTR tomorrow. I really enjoyed your trip report & learned alot along the way!!! Thanks for sharing with us!!!
Hi! Thank you! It was crowded but most of the time we seemed to avoid them pretty well. The cold was only noticeable in the evenings except for our last day. In a way, it made the fake snow feel more real.

We were really happy with Teppan Edo and Ohana. I was worried about Ohana because of the mixed reviews I'd read on the boards, but I was really glad we ate there.

I'll look for your PTR and make sure to give as much advice as I can on there. For now, we really liked French Quarter because it's so small compared to the other moderates. Also, it seems like when the two resorts share buses that French Quarter is picked up and dropped off first. For the boat to DTD, the boat loads at Riverside first. I've read that other people have had to wait for a few boats because the boats would fill up at Riverside before getting to French Quarter. We didn't have an issue, though. A lot of the activities, like the carriage ride and the bike rental are at Riverside. Also, French Quarter doesn't have a table service restaurant and Riverside does. The CS was good at French Quarter and they serve beignets. Mmmm. Finally, both resorts are getting refurbed rooms with queen beds. French Quarter is about half done and is supposed to be finished in April. After that, Disney is supposed to start on Riverside and that will be done in 2012, I think.

The photo session was great and DW loved it. I felt really prepared thanks to the advice I had from the boards, including your TR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleblanket View Post
Great Trip Report!

Just found it this morning and read right through!!
We arrived on Dec. 27th to POP just as you were leaving!
It was cold for most of that week as well. It finally warmed up on Dec. 30th!

I like how you ate your way around Epcot WS!! On NYE, we drank our way around the world!!

Looking forward to more photos!

Debbie
Thank you! We had fun eating around the world. I would like to drink around the world eventually, but I would really have to take my time because I'm kind of a lightweight.

Only a few more photos left. We didn't take a whole lot on our departure day.

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #79
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

The Sad Day and Final Thoughts

I just got back from my two week work trip. As it turns out, I could have saved a few updates for after the trip. Still, on to my final update.

We woke up early and headed down to catch the sad half of Magical Express. Getting through security was uneventful. The flight to Denver went well and the first of our travel hiccups started as we got off the plane.

Our baby carrier met us at the gate, but our stroller wasn't there. I waited...and waited...and waited. I sent DW to the gate counter with the claim tickets somewhere in the middle of the waiting. When the crew left the airplane, I gave up and went to find DW. The attendant looked our stroller up in the computer and said that they had transferred it to our other plane. That makes sense that they would give us our car seat but not our stroller because it was clearly the half of the travel system that was the most use to us. The attendant said it was a mistake and apologized but said that there was nothing he could do. We can laugh about this now. I also asked about our rolling bag that we had gate checked. He told us that was transferred as well. That will be important later.

We carried Lucy and our baby carrier to our gate and grabbed some lunch on the way. As we finished lunch, we found out that our gate had changed. We walked to the other side of the concourse to our new gate. A few minutes after getting there, our gate changed again. We sighed and walked to the new gate. This process would have been much easier with a stroller. As you might guess from the gate changes, our flight had a small delay. Lucy decided to nap while we waited.

The delay was only about thirty minutes. Lucy woke up from her nap when it was time to board.

The flight was short and Lucy seemed to enjoy it. She had a wonderful traveling companion.

We landed pretty close to on time and made our way to baggage claim. Our checked bags and our stroller made it. So far, so good. Now, we just needed our small rolling bag. We waited...and waited...and waited. Yep, United managed to do something that I didn't think was possible. They lost a gate-checked bag. Frustrated, I went to the ticket counter to ask about our bag. There as big line of people who had lost bags. When I went to the counter, I gave the attendant my claim ticket. She told me it was for a gate-checked bag and that I should have picked up my bag in Denver. At this point, I was tired and out of patience at this point. I had a minor blow-up at this point and retold our story from Denver. She checked the computer and couldn't find any information on our bag. She took our information and told us that we would get a call if they found our bag.

We went home and unpacked. We went to bed having not received a phone call. Finally, early the next morning we got a call. They had found our bag and were on their way to deliver it. It was a little early, but we were just happy to get our bag back. Sadly, our trip was now at an end. We had only a few pieces of Main St. fudge and the dream of our next Disney trip to console us.

I've mulled over what my final thoughts on our trip would be, but now that it's time to write them, I can't come up with a whole lot. Here's what I can remember.

1.) Christmas crowds are manageable with the right plan and expectations. We were mentally prepared for the crowds and that helped a lot. I think showing up early to the parks helped too. The crowds weren't that bad for the first two hours or so at the parks and then they slowly started to thicken. If you're not an early riser and you're coming at Christmas, you can still have a great time. Be prepared for crowds, though.

2.) Young children set the touring pace. Also, afternoon breaks are probably a good thing, depending on the child. Lucy was a very easy baby to tour the parks with, but we did have to plan around her. The biggest lesson we learned was that after all of our preparation, Lucy's pace varied from day to day. Plan ahead, but realize that every child is different and will need a different schedule. We only took a few afternoon breaks and they were needed by Lucy and the adults involved. Other days, Lucy handled a full day at the parks well. Be flexible and responsive to your child and things should go smoothly.

3.) No matter how poorly your plan is going, remember you're still at Disney. I think we can all agree with this one when we're calm and aren't really in need of this piece of advice. When we're hot or tired or hungry or stressed and about to meltdown, it's harder to remember this. Still, it's very true. You're at Disney. A meltdown will only make your day worse. That said, if you lose it, apologize to the necessary people and move on.

4.) Christmas at Disney is wonderful! I highly recommend going to Disney during the Christmas season. We will definitely go back, but maybe not the week of Christmas.

Well, that's all I've got. It's sad that it's over, but we'll be back.

Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #80
BelleTinkMom
DIS Veteran

So sad that the TR has come to an end. I know I hate when mines comes to an end.

Glad that you got your bag back.
I am nuts....for bringing the in-laws-a May/June 2011 TR. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post41825167
Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #81
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleTinkMom View Post
So sad that the TR has come to an end. I know I hate when mines comes to an end.

Glad that you got your bag back.
Thank you. It is sad, but at least we have another trip coming up soon. I think I will take my time a little more for our March trip report in order to relive things a little longer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: