Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #61
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKate View Post
Victoria and Albert's looks so good! I hope I get a chance to try it someday.

I love the pictures of Lucy with the characters! She looks so happy.

Looks like you all had a great Christmas Eve!
We had a wonderful Christmas Eve. Lucy had so much fun with characters! We were looking at our character pictures on our TV this morning and Lucy got really excited. That interaction must have made quite an impact.

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #62
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Christmas - Finally, We Can Sleep In

I want to start by apologizing for the flurry of updates. I know it makes it hard to keep up with my report when I'm posting so often. I'm going on a trip for work at the end of the week and I've been on the fence about trying to finish this before I leave or waiting until I get back. I think I've decided to try and finish it this week.

That said, on to Christmas! Christmas was a low key day for us. We didn't set an alarm and I still found myself awake about 8:00AM. I went to the food court and got a croissant for breakfast. Everyone was finally awake about 9:30AM. We opened a our presents and stockings first.

Lucy got some Disney books, a stuffed Piglet, and some clothes.

After presents, we caught the boat to DTD for lunch. After all of the reviews I'd read about Earl of Sandwich, I was looking forward to eating there. When we got there, the line was really long, but we stayed the course. The line moved pretty quickly and we eventually found tables to sit at. DW and I both got The Original.

We'd finished up most of the shopping we wanted to do already so after lunch we made our way to the bus stop. Our first stop for resort touring was Beach Club. The bus ride seemed to take forever. We got caught in the perfect storm of driver change and the bus stopping at a lot of other resorts first. After about 45 minutes we finally made it to the Beach Club.

The carousel was probably the best of the gingerbread decorations we saw. After the carousel, we made our way to the beach.

We took a bus from the Beach Club to Magic Kingdom and then took the boat to Wilderness Lodge.

We were walking around and discovered that we'd left a backpack on the boat. Two of us went to go see if we could get it back and the rest of us went inside.

I thought this onesie was cute. When we have a boy, we'll probably buy it if we can find it then.

We got the backpack back and went out to see the geyser.

We went back to Magic Kingdom and hopped on the monorail. Our first stop was

There wasn't a whole lot to see at the Contemporary. The gingerbread tree was kind of disappointing compared to the other gingerbread decorations. We walked around a little and browsed in the gift shop. Our family enjoyed looking at the resort.

[continued in next post]

Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #63
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Christmas (cont) - Wave After Wave of Food

We moved on to the Grand Floridian to see the gingerbread house.

I bought a gingerbread shingle to eat. I thought it was a little weird because it was spongy. It tasted good, but I'm used to crunchy gingerbread.

We also grabbed another photopass picture in front of the tree. The photographer was very friendly and really enjoyed taking pictures of Lucy.

Our next stop was Ohana for dinner. I checked us in at the podium and we had about a ten minute wait for our table. We sat down and the onslaught of delicious food began soon after. A lot of the negative reviews I've read about Ohana talk about feeling rushed. I can understand how people feel that way because the courses come quickly and the food really never stops coming. We enjoyed this, though, we took some of everything and then asked for more of what we really liked. After all of the wings, noodles, and meat came there was a long pause to allow us to eat and ask for more before dessert. The bread pudding was amazing. We also enjoyed the Hawaiian singer and watching all of the activities for the kids. We will definitely eat here again. Due to all of the food coming quickly, we don't have very many pictures, but here are some.

We returned to our resort very full and very happy. Then, the sadness started because it was time to pack. DW's family was leaving in the morning and we were moving to Pop for our last night. It was very good Christmas.

Last edited by ChildAtHeart82; 01-17-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added the part about the gingerbread shingle.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #64
amazingact21
Upendi

Sounds like you guys had an enjoyable day resort hopping. Glad you were able to get the backpack back, that would've put a tiny damper on Chirstmas.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 01-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #65
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Sounds like you guys had an enjoyable day resort hopping. Glad you were able to get the backpack back, that would've put a tiny damper on Chirstmas.
It was a good day. It was a relief to get the bag back.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #66
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Last Day - It's So Cold!!

We woke up early and took our bags to the main building to drop them off at bell services. There was no one at bell services so we took our bags to the front desk. They called the bell services CM and he marked our bags for the transfer to Pop. We went back up to the room to say goodbye to DW's family. After a very sad goodbye, we went to catch a bus to the Magic Kingdom. Our first thought this morning was how much colder it was! We took a few pictures of the ominous clouds on the way to the monorail.

It was also really windy. We already knew that our plans for spending most of the day outside were probably going to change. We took the monorail to the Polynesian. It was time for Lucy's first character breakfast!

Lucy played with Tigger while we ate breakfast and waited for the characters to come by our table.

Stitch was first.

Then, Lilo.

Next, was Mickey.

Finally, Pluto.

Lucy really liked all the characters and they all took so much time with Lucy. They all seemed very taken by Lucy too. Lucy's favorites were Lilo and Pluto. I suppose since this was a breakfast I should mention the food. DW and I aren't big breakfast eaters but we enjoyed the food. We have one picture. The sausage was really good and DW liked the eggs. Not pictured is the very delicious bread.

We left Ohana and went to Magic Kingdom. We caught the train at Main Street, planning to ride it to Toontown. Riding a train in the cold was not our best decision, but we toughed it out. It didn't help that the train stopped outside of Toontown for a while because they were adding another train to the track. All DW and I could think about was that if we were the only people on our train, did they really need to add another train?

Finally, we made it to Toontown and were just looking for a way to stay warm. We knew this would be our last chance to see Toontown so we braved the cold long enough to take some pictures. First, we went to Mickey's House.

We then shivered over to Minnie's House.

[continued in next post]

Old 01-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #67
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Last Day (cont.) - Why Are We Going to Dinner? We Just Ate Lunch?

Continuing on...

I had to explain the palm tree to DW.

We took a few more pictures on our way out of Toontown.

Leaving Toontown, we decided that going to our nice warm room at Pop sounded like the best idea. Another Dole Whip was definitely not going to happen. We just needed a few warm stops on the way to the bus stop. It was starting to sprinkle as we passed Pooh and the posted wait was 30 minutes. We decided to check out the new queue. We didn't really have much time to look at it, but it did seem really neat, especially the honey wall. We probably waited about 5 minutes for the ride. We enjoyed it, but the best part was the warmth.

After Pooh, we made our way to Main St. and stopped in the confectionary. We had snack credits to burn and I'd picked up from a trip report that no one is uncheered by a piece of Main St. fudge. It was time to test this out. Lucy fell asleep on the way.

We got some chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, swirl, pumpkin, and peppermint (not pictured).

We ate the peppermint fudge that night and it did make us feel a little better. We ate the rest of the fudge through the week after we got home to help with our post-trip blues.

We took a few more pictures before leaving.

We caught a bus back to Pop and checked in. Our room was ready and we made our way to building one. We spent a little time warming up before heading back out to the bus stop. We took a bus to DTD. I missed the boat, but it probably wouldn't have been much fun in the wind and cold. We enjoyed Earl of Sandwich so much the previous day that we decided to have lunch there again. The line was even crazier than last time and seating was even harder to find since nobody wanted to sit outside. We eventually found a table. I got the Original again and DW got the Full Montagu. It was just as good as the first time.

After lunch, we shopped for a little but in the cooking store and then Once Upon a Toy. I got sucked in and played the new Tron video game for a few minutes. Then, we made our way to the bus stop. We were on our way to Animal Kingdom Lodge and saw a bus leaving as we got to the bus stop. We only had to wait fifteen minutes for the next bus, but it felt much longer.

DW had wanted to get family photos for a long time. I decided while planning our trip that I would surprise her with a private photopass session. She wondered why we were going to AKL so early for our ADR. She was very happy when she found out.

We had reserved a 20 minute session, but the photographer spent at least 40 minutes taking pictures. Our session also included a package of prints. I think from checking in until walking away with our prints took a little over an hour. We had originally wanted to get indoor and outdoor pictures, but it was way too cold to do anything outside. Here are some of our favorites.

[continued in next post]

Old 01-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #68
luckylady
DIS Veteran

Those are some wonderful pictures you all took at AK. What a great surprise for DW. Christmas day sounds like it was a relaxing day.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #69
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Last Day(cont.) - Maybe We Should Have Stayed at CBR?

Here are a few more pictures from our session.

After our session, we walked over to Kidani Village for our dinner ADR. We took a few pictures before checking in. The wildlife weren't hanging out very close to the viewing area.

We then checked in for our ADR. Our final Disney meal of the trip was at

We only waited a few minutes for a table. They let us push our stroller into the restaurant because Lucy was sleeping. She woke up soon after, though, so we ended up switching to a high chair. We were really looking forward to the bread service so we ordered that as an appetizer.

For bread we chose naan, paneer paratha, and papadum. For accompaniments we chose red pepper hummus, red chile sambal, and tamarind chutney. We knew what naan and hummus were, but the rest were new to us. The naan and hummus were familiar and delicious. The paneer paratha was also good. I didn't like the papadum. It's the thin one and it was basically a big cracker. The sambal was really spicy and we didn't eat a whole lot of it. The chutney was sweet and good. If we ordered this again, we would probably get two servings of naan and then try another bread. We would still get the hummus and probably try two new accompaniments.

For entrees, I got the Pick Two with chicken with red curry and coconut curry with lamb. It was served with basmati rice.

I liked it and would consider ordering it again. If we eat at Sanaa again, though, I might try something else on the menu.

DW ordered the tandoori chicken with rice pilaf.

This was also good, but nothing spectacular. For dessert, we both got the chai cream.

This was the best part of our meal and is our strongest reason to eat at Sanaa again. Overall, Sanaa was a good and different experience. We would eat here again, but it's not a must-do.

We got a bus back to Magic Kingdom and then got in line for a bus to Pop. This was our only and by far our worst bus luck. We waited for about 35 minutes for a bus and there were people who'd been waiting for awhile when we got there. In that time, we saw four TTC buses and four CBR buses. One of the CBR buses picked up five people and one of them showed up to an empty bus stop and left empty. We saw at least one bus for every other resort. The line for Pop grew from the first divider until it was spilling out the back of the section. One time a bus stopped and dropped people off from Pop and then left without picking anyone up. Finally, two buses showed up at the same time and I think everyone waiting made it onto a bus. It was a cold and unpleasant experience.

We got to Pop and went to use the rest of our snack credits. We got a a tie dye cheesecake and then used the rest of our credits to get ritz crackers, wheat thins, and nila wafers. The cheesecake was really good.

We went back to our room and were happy to find our luggage there. We repacked our luggage for a plane ride and made a call to figure out when our Magical Express pick up would be. It was going to be a very early morning so we went to bed.

On a side note, I found a picture of the bread from Ohana. It was so good.

Here's our recap for last day. We didn't have a whole lot planned, but the plan did change because of the cold. Missed attractions in red. Unplanned attraction in green.

Toontown

Dole Whips
Main St. Fudge
Winnie the Pooh
Photo Session
Sanaa
Tie Dye Cheesecake

Up next, the sad day and final thoughts.

Last edited by ChildAtHeart82; 01-17-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #70
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady View Post
Those are some wonderful pictures you all took at AK. What a great surprise for DW. Christmas day sounds like it was a relaxing day.
Thank you! DW really enjoyed the surprise.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #71
amazingact21
Upendi

You guys look so cold in the pictures, but even with that the AKL photos are really good. Your daughter is adorable!

I've never ate at Sannaa before, but the bread and chicken entree your DW got looks tasty enough to give it a try. I'm going to file it under possible future ADRs, so thanks for the review and pics.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 01-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #72
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

The pictures at AKL looked great. We were at AKL for three days, and I never thought about walking to the other resort. I'm sure there is alot of stuff I missed though since we mainly went for the parks.

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Old 01-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #73
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Wow lots of updates! Christmas Eve in Epcot sounds amazing, eating your way around the world looks like fun!

I love looking at all the cute gingerbread things they make for Christmas, I really love the house in the Grand Floridian! I've never seen the display in BC, it looks really cute!

Love the pics of Lucy and the characters at Ohana! And the AKL PP pics are really nice too, what a fun surprise for your DW!!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 01-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #74
PirateKate
DIS Veteran

Glad you liked the Main St. fudge! We tried peppermint, too. I found it to be very satisfactory.

Your pictures from AKL turned out great! It is always nice to have a picture with your whole family in it.

Too bad the weather was so cold. I know we spent a lot of time worrying about if the boys were warm enough. I'm sure you all worried about Lucy, too.

Sanaa looked pretty tasty. Especially the chai cream.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #75
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
You guys look so cold in the pictures, but even with that the AKL photos are really good. Your daughter is adorable!

I've never ate at Sannaa before, but the bread and chicken entree your DW got looks tasty enough to give it a try. I'm going to file it under possible future ADRs, so thanks for the review and pics.
Thank you! It was cold, but I just finished reading about your Epcot day and I think you all had it rougher than we did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
The pictures at AKL looked great. We were at AKL for three days, and I never thought about walking to the other resort. I'm sure there is alot of stuff I missed though since we mainly went for the parks.
Thank you! I'm not sure you missed a whole lot. The two resorts seem pretty similar and the lobby at the main AKL is more impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Wow lots of updates! Christmas Eve in Epcot sounds amazing, eating your way around the world looks like fun!

I love looking at all the cute gingerbread things they make for Christmas, I really love the house in the Grand Floridian! I've never seen the display in BC, it looks really cute!

Love the pics of Lucy and the characters at Ohana! And the AKL PP pics are really nice too, what a fun surprise for your DW!!
Yeah, I rushed through a bunch of updates to finish before my work trip and now I'm on my trip with one update left. Oh well. I found out about the beach club gingerbread from the DIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKate View Post
Glad you liked the Main St. fudge! We tried peppermint, too. I found it to be very satisfactory.

Your pictures from AKL turned out great! It is always nice to have a picture with your whole family in it.

Too bad the weather was so cold. I know we spent a lot of time worrying about if the boys were warm enough. I'm sure you all worried about Lucy, too.

Sanaa looked pretty tasty. Especially the chai cream.
Thank you! Without Lucy we might have braved the cold longer but we were worried about her.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: