Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
PirateKate
DIS Veteran

I'm here! I love that picture of Lucy where she is looking up at the Spectacle of Lights! Very cute.

I am surprised Lucy was willing to wear the head phones. My boys don't even want to wear hats. I think they both kind of like loud noises anyway.

I showed Landon the food picture of Lucy's lunch at Pizza Planet. He drooled. Which dessert do you think was better- the rice krispie treat or the cookie?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #17
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Location: ...just beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment!

I'm here! Sorry I'm so late! Great updates so far! I am loving seeing Lucy checking everything out!

Yay for getting your room requests!!

I'm glad you enjoyed T-Rex! That is DH's absolute favorite!

I was so bummed when we got to DHS and saw that they were renovating the outside of ToT. Oh well, it was as fun as ever!

I can't wait to read more!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #18
eecteacher82
DIS Veteran

Hi! I made my way over here from your post on my TR! I'm subscribing now and going back to read!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #19
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Great DHS update! I love DHS so much, so I love reading about people's days their in TR's! So many people dislike this park, I don't understand it!

I have yet to participate in the TSM FP stampede! What is rope drop at DHS like? Do they do anything, a little ceremony like MK or anything?

The stunt show looks like fun, my DH and I never have enough time to see it! Same with the Beauty and the Beast show, there is always so much I miss at DHS because I'm so concerned with riding ToT 5 billiion times!

Everything you got at Pizza Planet looks great, I really would like to try it on my next trip!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 01-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKate View Post
I'm here! I love that picture of Lucy where she is looking up at the Spectacle of Lights! Very cute.

I am surprised Lucy was willing to wear the head phones. My boys don't even want to wear hats. I think they both kind of like loud noises anyway.

I showed Landon the food picture of Lucy's lunch at Pizza Planet. He drooled. Which dessert do you think was better- the rice krispie treat or the cookie?
Thank you! We got a lot of comments from people who thought the same thing with Lucy's headphones. They don't seem to bother her and they helped her sleep through some of the shows we watched. DW and I both thought the rice krispie treat was better, but DW says she's biased since she really likes rice krispie treats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussells08 View Post
I'm here! Sorry I'm so late! Great updates so far! I am loving seeing Lucy checking everything out!

Yay for getting your room requests!!

I'm glad you enjoyed T-Rex! That is DH's absolute favorite!

I was so bummed when we got to DHS and saw that they were renovating the outside of ToT. Oh well, it was as fun as ever!

I can't wait to read more!!
You're not that late. I'm only through our first day at the parks. Plus, you were at Disney, which is a pretty good excuse. DW's family asked if the scaffolding on ToT was normal when they saw it. They thought it made it look creepier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecteacher82 View Post
Hi! I made my way over here from your post on my TR! I'm subscribing now and going back to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Great DHS update! I love DHS so much, so I love reading about people's days their in TR's! So many people dislike this park, I don't understand it!

I have yet to participate in the TSM FP stampede! What is rope drop at DHS like? Do they do anything, a little ceremony like MK or anything?

The stunt show looks like fun, my DH and I never have enough time to see it! Same with the Beauty and the Beast show, there is always so much I miss at DHS because I'm so concerned with riding ToT 5 billiion times!

Everything you got at Pizza Planet looks great, I really would like to try it on my next trip!
The Toy Story stampede is almost a tradition for us now. I've always liked DHS, but as I'm planning our next trip, it's not getting much attention. So far, I've planned it as the second park for a few days to make sure we see some of it. Since it's just going to be DW, DD, and me and we were just there, we don't have a whole lot of must-sees. I think we'll probably skip TSM since we won't be there for the FP stampede, I'll try and ride ToT and RNR (DW doesn't like them), and then we'll hit some of the shows if we have time.

This trip they didn't do anything at rope drop for DHS. Our last two trips there was a fun show with a movie director and a couple that they picked out beforehand. At the end, the couple drives off in a car toward ToT and they get to be the first to ride either ToT or RNR. I don't know if they did away with the show because of the Toy Story craziness or if it was just that day. It was a weird day with the late start and all.

I think it's really tough to see all the shows at DHS in one day. It's fun to see each of the shows at least once, but after that I think they're all once every few trip kind of shows. It could be that I'm more of a thrill ride person, but I would prioritize riding ToT and RNR multiple times over seeing any of the shows.

Pizza Planet is our favorite CS at DHS. I've read a lot of reviews where people don't like the pizza. I don't know if my pizza standards are really low or if it's just difference in opinion.

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #21
amazingact21
Upendi

Found my way over from my TR.
Your daughter is adorable, and it looks like she really enjoyed Beauty and the Beast.

And I agree, you can't capture the Osborne lights in photos; it's something you have to see for yourself to believe!

Current Reports:Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle -A May '14 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 01-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #22
luckylady
DIS Veteran

I'm in. DD is just a cutie. Those blue eyes. Waiting for more.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #23
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Found my way over from my TR.
Your daughter is adorable, and it looks like she really enjoyed Beauty and the Beast.

And I agree, you can't capture the Osborne lights in photos; it's something you have to see for yourself to believe!
Thank you! She did seem like she enjoyed it. We're trying to get her hooked on Disney early!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady View Post
I'm in. DD is just a cutie. Those blue eyes. Waiting for more.
Thank you! She gets those eyes from her mom. I should be posting another update today.

Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
Old 01-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #24
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

DHS Recap

I've seen recaps for each day on a lot of the trip reports I've been reading lately so I decided I would steal that idea for my TR. Here's the list of what we set out to do on our Hollywood Studios day and what we accomplished. Things in red we didn't accomplish and things in green weren't planned.

Toy Story Mania (2x)
Tower of Terror
(2x)
Beauty & the Beast
Lights, Motors, Action!

Animation Academy
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (2x)
Fantasmic!
Osborne Lights

As you can see, we did pretty well on our first day. We didn't necessarily do things in the order we planned to, but we hit almost everything on our list. The story for every day of the trip was things going usually completely different but way better than we planned. Each day was a huge blessing!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #25
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Magic Kingdom - Where Did All the People Go?

Gah! I had this update almost finished and then I went to preview it and the DIS lost it all! Here we go again!

At about 2:30, Lucy woke up and started to fuss. This happens from time to time so I rolled over, knowing that DW was awake and attempting to calm Lucy. After about thirty minutes I knew that if things continued on their present course, there would be no sleep for anyone in our room. I got up, threw on a jacket, and took Lucy for a walk. In our six months of parenting, I could count on one hand the number of times I've gotten Lucy to fall asleep while I was holding her. I was not expecting to get Lucy to sleep, but I figured that three people in our room sleeping was better than zero people sleeping. I left the room at about 3:10. Lucy and I watched cartoons in the lobby. There weren't a whole lot of people around, but I did get some knowing and sympathetic looks from the CM's who were cleaning as I walked by. Lucy was quiet for a little while but started fussing again. In desperation, I realized that I would have to try and get Lucy to sleep. I downloaded a white noise app to my phone and began walking circles around the fountain in the lobby. After about 20 minutes Lucy began to drift off. She finally fell asleep at about 3:50. I wanted to make sure she got some sleep and I was pretty sure she'd wake up when we went back outside so I continued to walk circles. During this process I got to see a lot of the tired people returning from the Magic Kingdom's evening EMH. I walked back to the room and Lucy woke up right when we got back. DW took Lucy and got her to fall asleep on her chest. I got a nice half-hour of sleep before it was time to get up.

We woke up, got ready, and headed down to get breakfast. We made it to the bus stop as planned and only had to wait about 10 minutes for a bus. We had it to ourselves. The morning bus rides to ourselves were always a nice contrast to the evening bus rides when the buses were standing room only. We took a few pictures as we walked to the entrance. You can see that there weren't a whole lot of people around yet.

We took turns pushing Lucy around in her stroller and she eventually fell asleep.

As we waited at a turnstile, a dad struck up a conversation with us. I'm always very appreciative of people willing to offer advice to strangers and so I usually just smile and say thank you. Plus, no matter how much research I've done, I usually hear something I didn't know. The dad recommended Pecos Bill's or Cosmic Ray's (which I did know about) and offered a few other pieces of advice. He was also the first of many people that morning to tell us to get in, accomplish what we wanted, and get out because it was going to get really busy. It was during this conversation that we stopped paying attention to the world around us. As CM's started to activate turnstiles, we didn't notice until too late that a CM did not approach our turnstile. There weren't too many people in the lines around us, though, so we just got in the back of a line and waited a few minutes before entering.

I love the Magic Kingdom opening show! After watching it, I always find myself bouncing up and down as I walk down Main St. Sadly, I didn't get any good pictures of the show this time.

You can see from the last picture that as the park opened there was a big crowd of people waiting with us.

The entire crowd apparently had somewhere to be. They all beelined down Main St. and through the castle. We would not see most of them until much later in the day. Our plans were slightly different. I think that everyone on their first visit to Magic Kingdom should take time to meander down Main St. and soak in everything that is Main St., USA. I actually do this on every trip. As the crowds hurried off to get things done, we were left with a fairly empty Main St. and hub to explore.

Along the way, Lucy woke up, happier and more rested.

As we meandered, we talked to a few CM's and they again informed us that the park would be very crowded today. It felt weird hearing in that in a deserted Hub. We made our way to the castle so that everyone could walk through it before things got busy.

It was now time for us to start getting some things done. As we made our way to Liberty Square, someone realized they needed new batteries for their camera and someone else decided they needed a bathroom break. We were still ahead of schedule since I had planned for a lot of exploring. I left the main group to go grab fastpasses for Splash Mountain. As I walked through Liberty Square and Frontierland, I still couldn't believe how empty the park felt. I grabbed the fastpasses and made my way to meet the group at our first attraction, snapping this picture along the way.

The rest of my family had fun as they made their way to meet me.

So what was our first attraction? You'll have to wait until my next update because DW has been waiting patiently for me to finish so we can eat dinner.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #26
aandjmama
Mouseketeer

Hi ChildatHeart82!! We're also from Rapid City We were at WDW mid December, and the cold bothered us too. I was surprised! Definitely long underwear weather then. Anyway, fun to see a fellow RC DIS'er!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #27
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Great update! I'm sorry you didn't get much sleep, but Lucy was probably very appreciative going for a walk and watching cartoons It actually sounds kind of fun, being out in the lobby in the middle of the night, watching all the EMH people come back!

I love the MK rope drop show! I don't think I will take pictures of it the next time I see it, sometimes I think I'm so busy playing with my camera that I forget to enjoy what I'm trying to watch!

Great pics along Main Street, I always try to take my time walking down Main Street in the morning too, there is just so much to look at!

Can't wait to see what you did first!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #28
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

I had a similar experience in 2007 with a 9 month old. We were at the All-Star Movies, in the cafeteria at 4 am watching cartoons. I was bummed because the food court didn't open until 6, so I'm sitting there with an empty coffee mug and nothing to put in it. Disney should really offer coffee to parents who are up in the middle of the night with their kids.

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Old 01-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #29
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandjmama View Post
Hi ChildatHeart82!! We're also from Rapid City We were at WDW mid December, and the cold bothered us too. I was surprised! Definitely long underwear weather then. Anyway, fun to see a fellow RC DIS'er!
Hi! When we got to WDW, it was in between the two cold snaps. Most of the time we were there, it was chilly in the morning, nice by afternoon, and then cold again at night. It didn't get really cold until our last day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Great update! I'm sorry you didn't get much sleep, but Lucy was probably very appreciative going for a walk and watching cartoons It actually sounds kind of fun, being out in the lobby in the middle of the night, watching all the EMH people come back!

I love the MK rope drop show! I don't think I will take pictures of it the next time I see it, sometimes I think I'm so busy playing with my camera that I forget to enjoy what I'm trying to watch!

Great pics along Main Street, I always try to take my time walking down Main Street in the morning too, there is just so much to look at!

Can't wait to see what you did first!
I know what you mean about being behind the camera. There were a few things I feel like I didn't get the full experience for because I was busy taking pictures. It wasn't anything that was my first time for, though, so it wasn't too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
I had a similar experience in 2007 with a 9 month old. We were at the All-Star Movies, in the cafeteria at 4 am watching cartoons. I was bummed because the food court didn't open until 6, so I'm sitting there with an empty coffee mug and nothing to put in it. Disney should really offer coffee to parents who are up in the middle of the night with their kids.
The CM's did ask if I wanted anything to drink while I was walking around. I figured I had too many things to carry at the time anyway.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #30
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Magic Kingdom (cont.) - Another Boat Ride?

We left off when we were touring Magic Kingdom, touring what felt like a nearly empty park.

We eventually met up at our first attraction for the day.

There was no wait. This was probably the most fun I've had on Jungle Cruise in a long time. It was the same jokes as usual but the CM did a great job.

Looking back, this was not a great day for picture-taking. I guess in all the moving quickly from place to place, we didn't pull the camera out that much. After jungle cruise, we moved on to Pirates. We walked right on and enjoyed ourselves. From there, we headed toward Haunted Mansion. I did a quick detour to grab fastpasses for Thunder Mountain on the way. My family loved the ride, especially the hitchhiking ghosts.

It was now time to head toward where we thought the crowds were. We made our way toward Fantasyland and found no wait for Small World either. My family did begin to wonder at this point if the majority of the rides at Magic Kingdom were boat rides. I really like Small World and surprisingly the song wasn't stuck in our heads for that long after we rode.

I left the group to go grab fastpasses for Space Mountain, telling them I would meet them in front of Philharmagic. When I got back, I couldn't find anyone and no one would answer their phones. Finally, I got a hold of DW. Apparently, Lucy needed a diaper change and the bathroom was busy. While DW and her mom were taking care of that, the rest of the family was riding the carousel.

Once the group was all back together, we we went to watch Philharmagic.

I absolutely love Philharmagic! It's definitely my favorite of the 4D shows at Disney World and it might be my favorite attraction at Magic Kingdom. I like all of the mountains, but Philharmagic is probably the attraction I could do the most times in a row without getting tired of it.

After Philharmagic, we were well ahead of schedule and decided it was time for an early lunch. Since I started planning, I'd been really looking forward to trying Columbia Harbour House. DW and I both had the Lighthouse Sandwich with chips. It had hummus, tomato, and broccoli slaw on it. DW thought it was okay and I thought it was delicious. I'm not a big fan of slaw of any kind but I liked the sandwich anyway. All of us really liked how fresh everything tasted.

I thought it was neat that the chips were Disney-brand.

I left lunch a little early to grab fastpasses for Buzz Lightyear and then we met up at the Teacups. I've never been a big fan of the teacups, but had a lot of fun this time. We got our cup spinning as fast as we could and by the end of the ride our arms were pretty tired. Lucy fell asleep while we were riding the teacups and we didn't want to get her out of the stroller until she'd otten a good nap. Since DW had been to the Tiki Room on our last visit and wasn't a big fan, she stayed with Lucy while the rest of went in. I like the show and it brings back good memories of past trips, but the overall sentiment of our group was that it was nice to sit down for a few minutes. After Tiki Room, we moved on to another classic but corny Disney show. The Country Bears! Lucy was a awake when we got there so everyone got to experience the full effect of this show. I was the only one who had seen this one before. It had been a few trips since I'd seen this since it always seems to under refurbishment when I'm at Disney.

It was time to satisfy the thrill-seekers in the group so we went to use our Splash Mountain fastpasses. DW said she was feeling a little sick so elected to be the one to stay with Lucy. I think she didn't want to get wet. Speaking of getting wet, we got soaked at the very beginning when we floated by the big drop. Our timing was perfect (or not, depending on who you ask) and we got hit by the splash from another boat. Everyone enjoyed the ride, but not everyone was happy that we got wet.

At this point, DW and Paul were feeling tired and we knew Lucy would benefit from a nap. The three of them headed back to the hotel, while the rest of us went to use our Thunder Mountain fastpasses. By the time we were done, we found ourselves trapped by the parade. Our next planned stop was in Adventureland so we could either circle all the way around the parade route or wait until the parade was done. We decided to wait. After about fifteen minutes, which felt like much longer, the parade was done. It then took another 10 minutes until we finally broke free of the crowd.

Here's a quick crowd comparison between the morning and the afternoon.

We eventually made it to Adventureland for something that is on my must-do list for every trip.

The line to get a Dole Whip was by far our longest wait in line for the entire day. I'd say it took us about 30 minutes. After we were done enjoying all of the pineapple goodness, we went to use our Space Mountain fastpasses. There were only four of us that wanted to ride so we got to ride twice. I looked at the new games that Disney added to the queue during the last refurbishment. They looked like they might be fun, but I still wouldn't be willing to wait too long in line. Our first ride we went on the left side and it was a lot of fun! The second time we went right and we all thought we got thrown around a lot more. It was still fun, but a lot rougher ride.

After Space, we made our way to Cosmic Ray's to grab dinner. I got a bacon cheeseburger with guacamole and took full advantage of the fixings bar. Dessert choices were chocolate cake or carrot cake.

DW and company met up with us after dinner, feeling very refreshed. We found a great spot in front of the castle to watch the castle lighting.

The show was cute and the castle was spectacular with all of the lights on!

After the castle lighting, we set out to accomplish the last few things on our list. First, we went to Laugh Floor. It was a short wait, but we still had time to text a few jokes in while we waited. The worst one happened to be picked and used in the show. It was "What do you call the abominable snowman in the desert? Water" In the show they added. "As in, water are you doing here?" The show hadn't changed a lot since our last trip, but it was still a lot of fun. After Laugh Floor, we used our Buzz fastpasses. The funniest part was that Lucy rode with Paul and Karen (DFIL and DMIL). When we got off the ride, Karen didn't understand why their car kept spinning at random. They had let Lucy mess with the joystick because they didn't know it controlled the spinning.

After Buzz, we had a few more Disney classics to accomplish. We went to Carousel of Progress. That song did stick in everyone's heads for awhile. After that we went over to the PeopleMover. There was a pretty long line, but it moved quickly and we only waited for about five minutes.

I grabbed some ice cream on Main St. and then we found a spot on the Tomorrowland bridge to watch Wishes. Wishes is my favorite fireworks show and the holiday theme made it even better. After Wishes, we followed the massive sea of humanity headed for the bus stop. We were some of last people to get on the first bus back to our resort. Everyone, including Lucy, managed to sleep very well this night.

Last edited by ChildAtHeart82; 01-11-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: