Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #61
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

That soup and gumbo look fabulous!!!!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #62
ericlj63
Earning My Ears

Pot roast paella tonight

I had leftovers from a pot roast I made the other night. Since I wanted to use it before the magic 7 days (I took the Serv-Safe class last year, so I'm expected to be sanitary) I decided to use it in a paella. I did the following:

Chop up about 1/4 cup of red bell pepper, a celery stalk, about half of an onion and a clove of garlic. Also, cut the remaining roast (about a pound and a half) into bite-size chunks.

Heat up my paella pan (cast iron for use with an electric range) and then add a couple tablespoons of olive oil.

Throw the chopped vegetables into the pan and let them soften and infuse the oil with flavor. I also added about a teaspoon of smoked paprika and 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper and a teaspoon of kosher salt.

After the vegetables were getting soft, and threatening to burn, add the meat. Let the meat warm up and spread its flavors into the oil

Add 2 cups of basmati brown rice (I didn't have any calasparra or bomba and really wish I did). Stir the rice to coat with oil and to roast it slightly. Since I wasn't using the normal rice, I wasn't sure how long to cook the rice; it probably could have been better.

I added 4 cups of beef broth and the leftover roast vegetables (about two pounds of potato, carrot and onion) and the juices from the leftover container.

Bring it to a boil and stir it for the last time.

Since it was brown rice and the paella pan doesn't have a lid, it took about an hour to finish. When the beef broth was mostly absorbed or reduced, I added about a cup of Pinot Gris. After that cooked down, I needed to add more warm water a couple more times before the rice was done. When the rice looked done I let it cook down until almost all the liquid was absorbed or evaporated.

It tasted great, maybe better than the original roast, at least to me. The texture would have been better with the correct rice. I probably could have turned the heat up because I didn't get any of that great crust, either, although that may have been due to the rice, too.
ericlj63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #63
Royster83
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawx04 View Post

I substituted 2lbs ground sirloin for ground lamb, added corn and used beef stock instead of chicken stock
Hey Sawx04, thought you might like to know if you replace the lamb for beef we call that cottage pie

Useless information in abundance,

Roy

Royster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #64
AuroraJae
Mom to Ferris and Finley

Crock Pot Pizza Dish

I love the crock pot I got for Christmas! I am cooking way more than I use to and my family is reaping the benefits
Enjoy, I know we did!

http://southernfood.about.com/od/cro...ef/r/bl6c6.htm

AuroraJae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #65
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraJae View Post
I love the crock pot I got for Christmas! I am cooking way more than I use to and my family is reaping the benefits
Enjoy, I know we did!

Thanks Julie, that looks like something I could get even my picky eater to try!

Tonight we're having a recipe from my Paula Deen cookbook, meat loaf. I'll make mashed potatoes/gravy, mac & cheese (for the picky one) and probably green beans or something.
Here's the recipe-
Old Fashioned Meat Loaf
1 pound ground beef
6 oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup chopped vidalia onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard

1. Preheat oven to 375*F. In a large bowl, combine the groud beef, tomato paste, onion, green pepper, oats, egg, salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into a loaf and place it in a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Slather the glaze on top of the meat loaf and bake for 1 hour or until the meat loaf is firm and cooked all the way through.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #66
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2inKC View Post
Thanks Julie, that looks like something I could get even my picky eater to try!

Tonight we're having a recipe from my Paula Deen cookbook, meat loaf. I'll make mashed potatoes/gravy, mac & cheese (for the picky one) and probably green beans or something.
Here's the recipe-
Old Fashioned Meat Loaf
1 pound ground beef
6 oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup chopped vidalia onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard

1. Preheat oven to 375*F. In a large bowl, combine the groud beef, tomato paste, onion, green pepper, oats, egg, salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into a loaf and place it in a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Slather the glaze on top of the meat loaf and bake for 1 hour or until the meat loaf is firm and cooked all the way through.
Yum, I love a good old fashioned meatloaf. I like to make a double recipe, then we have meatloaf sandwiches for lunch a few days.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #67
Stitchmistress
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Crock Pot Corned Beef with Veggies a la Nikki

3 1/2-4 lb. Corned Beef Brisket
3-4 Large Potatoes
1 Cabbage
1 Cup Carrots
1 Medium Onion
Beef Stock
Water

Cut potatoes, carrots, and onions. Layer them on the bottom of the Crock Pot. Rinse brisket and place on top of veggies. Add equal parts of beef stock and water so that it just covers the meat. Cook on LOW for eight hours. Remove veggies and brisket. Cover with foil to keep warm. Add cabbage (cut into quarters or smaller) and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes. Serve with Gulden's mustard.

Mmmmm! Yummy!
I make corned beef a lot (it's a fam fav.) Never thought to put in beef stock, can't wait to try this, thanks Nikki!

Port Orleans Riverside, June 1994
Polynesian, October 1996
Coronado Springs, April 1998
All Star Sports, February 2000
Caribbean Beach, December 2002
Grand Floridian, August 2008
Swan, August 2010
Bay Lake Tower August 2012

Stitchmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #68
SusanWasHere
I'm on the left
Jimmy Kimmel wears a thong (just sayin')

Quote:
Crock Pot Corned Beef with Veggies a la Nikki

3 1/2-4 lb. Corned Beef Brisket
3-4 Large Potatoes
1 Cabbage
1 Cup Carrots
1 Medium Onion
Beef Stock
Water

Cut potatoes, carrots, and onions. Layer them on the bottom of the Crock Pot. Rinse brisket and place on top of veggies. Add equal parts of beef stock and water so that it just covers the meat. Cook on LOW for eight hours. Remove veggies and brisket. Cover with foil to keep warm. Add cabbage (cut into quarters or smaller) and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes. Serve with Gulden's mustard.

Mmmmm! Yummy!
This is a family favorite of ours, now I'm in the mood for it! We use Kosciusko mustard on ours and it's soooo good! Has replaced the Gulden's for corned beef, baked ham, etc! It's also spicy brown mustard but for some reason, just tastes so much better on the meat, and esp the potatoes!!
'93-POFQ, '96-Offsite, '00-Caribe Royale, '05-Paradise Orlando, '06-BCV, '07-BCV, '07-CSR, '08-Pop, '08-Pop, '09-AKV, '09-BCV,'09 - BWV, '10-POFQ, '10-ASMu/Sp,'10-VWL/BCV,'10-VWL,'11-Grand Californian, '11-ASMo, '11-VWL/BCV, '11-ASSp, '11-OKW, '11-Pop, '12-ASMu, '12-ASMo, '12-BWV, '13-Pop/SSR, '13-VWL/BCV
SusanWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #69
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraJae View Post
Enjoy, I know we did!

Where are the pics?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanWasHere View Post
This is a family favorite of ours, now I'm in the mood for it! We use Kosciusko mustard on ours and it's soooo good! Has replaced the Gulden's for corned beef, baked ham, etc! It's also spicy brown mustard but for some reason, just tastes so much better on the meat, and esp the potatoes!!
Replace Gulden's? -gasp- I dunno if I can do that! It's tradition!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #70
SusanWasHere
I'm on the left
Jimmy Kimmel wears a thong (just sayin')

Quote:
Replace Gulden's? -gasp- I dunno if I can do that! It's tradition!
lol TRUST ME, I totally get that with the traditions. I have so many myself with certain foods and condiments I don't even eat them at restaurants bc I can't "dip" them in what I want. But the Koskiusko is so so so good on corned beef. And it's only like $1.40 a bottle, so you could always try it for real cheap to see if you like it I'm still a Gulden's girl on my sandwiches though - of course mixed with Hellman's....
'93-POFQ, '96-Offsite, '00-Caribe Royale, '05-Paradise Orlando, '06-BCV, '07-BCV, '07-CSR, '08-Pop, '08-Pop, '09-AKV, '09-BCV,'09 - BWV, '10-POFQ, '10-ASMu/Sp,'10-VWL/BCV,'10-VWL,'11-Grand Californian, '11-ASMo, '11-VWL/BCV, '11-ASSp, '11-OKW, '11-Pop, '12-ASMu, '12-ASMo, '12-BWV, '13-Pop/SSR, '13-VWL/BCV
SusanWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #71
kimisabella
I wonder if he/she is coming on the cruise with us
Yes, I am. ;)

I didn't want to approach him as he would have thought I was some sort of weird stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawx04 View Post

This soup is spot-on....sans pretzel breadsticks....really need to attempt making these <grin>.

Try this recipe for the pretzel breadsticks, it is the best! I use the same soup recipe as you, and make these breadsticks and everyone loves it. Just shape the dough into sticks instead of rolls.

http://www.food.com/recipe/bretzel-r...h-rolls-169790
Old 01-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #72
Sawx04
Yankee Fans Tell No Tales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royster83 View Post
Hey Sawx04, thought you might like to know if you replace the lamb for beef we call that cottage pie

Useless information in abundance,

Roy
Roy, thanks...my wife loves lamb...I'm not a big fan. When I lived in Boston all the Irish Pus/Restaurants in Southie made it w/lamb.

"No, no, no, we don't cry because it's over, we smile because it happened." - Pamelia Perkins on the Adventurers Club closing 9/27/08
Sawx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #73
Sawx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimisabella View Post
Try this recipe for the pretzel breadsticks, it is the best! I use the same soup recipe as you, and make these breadsticks and everyone loves it. Just shape the dough into sticks instead of rolls.[/url]
Thanks for the recipe, I've seen this around...not much of a baker...however, this soup is NOT complete without pretzel breadsticks!! Thanks again!

"No, no, no, we don't cry because it's over, we smile because it happened." - Pamelia Perkins on the Adventurers Club closing 9/27/08
Old 01-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #74
Sawx04

NFL playoffs can mean only one thing....Pan Seared Scallops with Pea Risotto!

Sorry no recipe...been making this for years and don't use a recipe!

2009 Rombauer Chardonnay is a superstar with this dish....tropical fruit flavors blend with toasty oak notes. Peach, pear and a touch of pineapple integrate with creamy vanilla...pairs well with Scallops.

Go Patriots!!!!

Old 01-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #75
djblu883
DIS Veteran

using different fish

That looks wonderful but i HATE salmon...could I use a different fish and it still turn out good???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_me View Post

Savory Salmon ! (It's fairly easy, unique and de-LISH ! )

Ingredients
1 (2-pound) salmon fillet
House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 small red bell pepper, julienne
1 small green bell pepper, julienne
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1 medium orange, sectioned and seeded
1 pint strawberries, cleaned and sliced
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup chopped fresh chervil or baby dill
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
2 lemons, juiced
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place salmon fillet on a foil-lined pan. Season with House Seasoning, then cover and surround fish with red and green bell pepper, onion, and sectioned orange slices. Mix strawberries, water, honey, chervil or dill, garlic and green onions together. Pour lemon juice over salmon. Ladle strawberry mixture evenly over salmon. Cover with foil and pierce foil, allowing steam to escape. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with rice.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix well. Store in shaker near stove for convenience.

Tags
cooking, dinner, recipe

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: