Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
blueiis99
It's Disney Magic, you know!

best hotel to stay at with the best view

we ar looking into going to the grand canyon, and have considered the lodges inside the park. I just can't seem to figure out which one has the rooms with the best view.

We are only looking to stay 2 to 3 days max, and I want to make certain we get to do sun rises and sunsets hopfully from our room where its most comfortable.

can anyone shed some light?

thank you in advance

Me: Jeanne DH: Jay DD 27 Sydney DD 25 Jessica DD 14 Aliyah
blueiis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

We have stayed at the Bright Angel cabins and the Thunderbird hotel. We had a view from the Thunderbird but the window was high. We really enjoyed staying at the Bright Angel cabins. While we didn't have the immediate view of the canyon, we were only a few yards away from the rim. Also, after dark, it doesn't really matter what kind of view you have because it is too dark to see it. During the day, you are generally out exploring the canyon anyway.

However, the hotel with the best views and closest to the rim is the El Tovar. A bit pricy, but location, location, location.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
blueiis99

thank you!

I was concidering both of those places, and wasn't sure what to expect. I don't mind it being pricy, as its a once in a life time event. I just want it to be as special as I can make it.

Do you happen to know if they have any sort of indian ineraction? I really haven't found much on that. I'm more into the life and history of the native americans that live, andlived in and around the area. Not into the touristy type stuff, more realistic!

thank you again for all your help it is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiis99 View Post
Do you happen to know if they have any sort of indian ineraction? I really haven't found much on that. I'm more into the life and history of the native americans that live, andlived in and around the area. Not into the touristy type stuff, more realistic!
Not within Grand Canyon NP, that I can recall. But it's been a number of years since I've been.

But there are lots of opportunities for Indian interaction and history in the great Southwest. Either modern-day Native Americans, or historical ruins. For historical, read up on the ancient Anasazi. They're my favorite historical peoples. They inhabited the Southwest about 800 years ago. And there are lots of ruins.

The best set of Anasazi ruins, by far, is Mesa Verde NP. It's in SW Colorado, but just about 6 hours from GC. And the tours through the ancient cliff dwellings are amazing! Worth a trip. If you go, book a few days - there's lots to see.

A litte closer, though not much, you can see cliff dwellings at Canyon de Chelly in Arizona. And if you'd like interaction with modern-day Native Americans, the Havasupai tribe occupies land due west of GC NP, though you have to travel back through Williams to get there (I think). Supai Falls, in the canyon, is amazing. I've only seen it from a river raft on the Colorado; but I understand you can book a stay at Supai Village and hike down to the falls.

There's lots and lots of Navaho land in AZ, too.

HTH,
Bob

Last edited by GrandBob; 12-31-2010 at 07:00 PM.
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Indian culture is very big in Northern Arizona.

There is a ranger led program to a ruin not far from the canyon:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/photosmultim...usayan-wmv.htm

If you want to travel an hour or so from the Canyon you can visit Wupatki National Monument and Walnut Canyon National Monument.

http://www.nps.gov/wupa/index.htm
http://www.nps.gov/waca/index.htm

Further south, you can visit Montezuma's Castle National Monument and Tuzigoot National Monument.

http://www.nps.gov/moca/index.htm
http://www.nps.gov/tuzi/index.htm

All indian ruins. You can purchase genuine indian art and craft work within the Canyon next to El Tovar.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
blueiis99

Oh my goodness....thank you so much! you both have given me so much to think about. what wonderful ideas!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: