Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #106
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post

Another thought I had is why didn't they turn the carrosel into a Mary Poppins them instead. To me that would make more since than Cinderella or Prince Charming.
Because..........you silly....... Mary Poppins is a GIRL! It would have had to be BERT's Regal Carousel!

Sorry.... couldn't resist.......

I think that would have been an AWESOME plan and would have provided an addition to the park from one of their best fantasy films!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #107
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Because..........you silly....... Mary Poppins is a GIRL! It would have had to be BERT's Regal Carousel!

Sorry.... couldn't resist.......

I think that would have been an AWESOME plan and would have provided an addition to the park from one of their best fantasy films!
What was I thinking?
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #108
ipodluvr287
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I was thinking te exact same thing.

Another thought I had is why didn't they turn the carrosel into a Mary Poppins them instead. To me that would make more since than Cinderella or Prince Charming.
Though that is a good idea (Heck, Mary Poppins and Bert meet next to the carousel) I think they didn't do it because it was originally made as Cinderella's and it has HER horse on it. (The horse with the gold ribbon on the tail) If they changed it, that horse would lose its significance.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #109
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodluvr287 View Post
Though that is a good idea (Heck, Mary Poppins and Bert meet next to the carousel) I think they didn't do it because it was originally made as Cinderella's and it has HER horse on it. (The horse with the gold ribbon on the tail) If they changed it, that horse would lose its significance.
At DL there is a Mary poppins horse!
It has a small mary poppins umbrella on the right/back part of the saddle
here is the link for a pic..
http://www.thedisneytraveler.com/200...land-carousel/

So i don't see why cinderella can't her horse on a mary poppins carousel..

Mary poppins would be a great for the carousel .. but it will NEVER happen..

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #110
mommylovespoly
Earning My Ears

RE: Carrousel

We have been getting ready for our trip by watching our (ancient) VHS tape of Disney Sing a Long: Disneyland Fun every day (and since I have an almost 2 year old, sometimes its more like 3 times a day ) and I noticed that the Disneyland Carousel seems to be named after... King Arthur. Which would make sense since it is right next to the Sword in the Stone. This also makes renaming the carousel after the Prince make more sense, too.

What my DH and I have really noticed is that there was not a lot of princess emphasis at all in that Disneyland tape. So, in the 80s, when that was made, things were much more even handed.

It has to be hard balancing the brand since they made such a BIG merchandising push for princess stuff in the last ten years. Its been a big merchandising moneymaker, but I can see where someone sitting at a boardroom table might speculate that an emphasis on the princess brand may have an adverse effect on the parks since that brand is associated with little girls. Little girls grow up, and some of them keep that princess love, but some don't. Having the parks associated as "where to see the Princesses" doesn't seem to maximize its appeal.

I don't AGREE necessarily, but can see the logic.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #111
tbeard
Earning My Ears

Oh no! I am so sad that the Snow White ride is closing. Will be going in March. It's hard to let go of the rides that are so ingrained in the Disney memory bank for making Magic Kingdom what it is!
tbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #112
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard View Post
Oh no! I am so sad that the Snow White ride is closing. Will be going in March. It's hard to let go of the rides that are so ingrained in the Disney memory bank for making Magic Kingdom what it is!
Just a rumor - do not be sad yet!

Additionally, I know there were some questions about Expo Hall, here's what I've learned:

Expo Hall is still the ultimate destination for characters during construction, but it will not be ready by Feb. 12th. Therefore, the princesses and mice will appear throughout MK until Expo is completed; then they'll be moving again.

Anticipated Expo Hall completion is Spring 2011, so not to far away.

As for the fairies, that sounds like it's changing everyday. One thing sounds pretty certain, Tink will be available at another park starting Feb. 12th while the others will be available in Spring. Where is in constant fluctuation. Disney announced Tink will be at DHS with everyone else at Epcot (see the first post). We'll continue to go with that until additionally announcements are made.
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #113
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
Just a rumor - do not be sad yet!

Additionally, I know there were some questions about Expo Hall, here's what I've learned:

Expo Hall is still the ultimate destination for characters during construction, but it will not be ready by Feb. 12th. Therefore, the princesses and mice will appear throughout MK until Expo is completed; then they'll be moving again.

Anticipated Expo Hall completion is Spring 2011, so not to far away.

As for the fairies, that sounds like it's changing everyday. One thing sounds pretty certain, Tink will be available at another park starting Feb. 12th while the others will be available in Spring. Where is in constant fluctuation. Disney announced Tink will be at DHS with everyone else at Epcot (see the first post). We'll continue to go with that until additionally announcements are made.
Way too early to be on these boards!!! I read this statement and thought, "Wow, I didn't know the princesses had mice!!!!"
Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 AM   #114
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetR3 View Post
Way too early to be on these boards!!! I read this statement and thought, "Wow, I didn't know the princesses had mice!!!!"
ACTUALLY..........

Cinderella had some very helpful mice. And I sure wish they'd bring them back for appearances in the park!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #115
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

OK ITS OFFICIAL:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...118-01-11@0001

Copied from the blog in case anyone can't get it to load, here is what it says today:

As many of you know, we’re in the midst of the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history, which will nearly double the size of Fantasyland. And we’re thrilled about the expansion because it’ll allow us to tell our treasured stories in new ways and give you the opportunity to interact with some of our beloved characters like never before. Today, we’d like to give you a first glimpse of the progress we’re making in bringing these stories to life and a look at some of the art will be sharing with the media later tonight.

First, work is already well underway on many of the experiences we’ve already told you about, so let’s start with Under the Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid. In this attraction, Ariel and all her friends will entertain you in a ride-through adventure featuring favorite songs from the popular animated feature.

Not too far from Ariel’s new home, construction is underway on Beast’s castle which will stand majestically upon a hill. You will cross over a stone bridge as you arrive at Be Our Guest Restaurant. Set in the halls of the Beast’s Castle, this location will seat up to 550 guests and offer “great food fast” service by day and full table service dining in the evening. Just outside the restaurant, you will also be able to explore Belle’s Village, which includes Gaston’s Tavern and Bonjour! Village Gifts.

Nearby at Belle’s cottage, a magical mirror is the doorway to a captivating new kind of experience, where Belle, Lumiere and guests participate in a lively re-telling of the “tale as old as time.” In Enchanted Tales with Belle, the adventure begins at Maurice’s cottage, where you’ll step through an enchanted mirror that magically transports you to Beast’s library for an interactive storytelling session with Belle.

Just across the way is the brand new Storybook Circus, where we’re doubling the fun by adding another carousel to Dumbo the Flying Elephant. While you wait to board this Fantasyland favorite, you’ll have a chance to join the circus and step inside the Big Top for fun-filled interactive experiences for kids of all ages. Alongside Dumbo the Flying Elephant, the existing Barnstormer is getting a new look as well, featuring Goofy as The Great Goofini. This exciting attraction will take you on a twisting, turning, daredevil, roller coaster “flight” high above the circus fun.

As with any project of this scale, we’ve also continued to look for additional ways to surprise and delight our guests and I think you’ll be pleased. One opportunity we’re especially excited about is the chance to tell Snow White’s story in a fresh new way. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will take you on a rollicking, musical ride into the mine “where a million diamonds shine.” The coaster will feature a first-of-its kind ride system with a train of ride vehicles that swing back and forth as they whisk along the track. The journey will be accompanied by music from the classic Disney film and animated figures of Snow White and the Dwarfs.

Our other Disney princesses will also be getting a new home (actually, they prefer to call it a castle) in the all new Princess Fairytale Hall. Aurora, Cinderella and other Disney princesses, such as Tiana and Rapunzel, will greet you in an elegant royal court at the location where Snow White’s Scary Adventures is today. This new experience will be in place of some of the earlier plans we shared regarding opportunities to interact with your favorite princesses.

And Tinkerbell and her fairy friends will be joining the cast at Epcot where they will have special roles bringing the flora and fauna to life during the Flower and Garden Festival.

The New Fantasyland will be constructed in phases with most new experiences open by 2013. We look forward to sharing more with you as our work progresses.

Tower of Terror Inaugural 10-Miler I like it HOT HOT HOT 2:10.08

Princess Half Marathon 2012 I DID IT!!! 2:58.06

Last edited by freepixie; 01-18-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: bolding the important part
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #116
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

"will greet you in an elegant royal court at the location where Snow White’s Scary Adventures is today. This new experience will be in place of some of the earlier plans we shared regarding opportunities to interact with your favorite princesses."

really? That is what is going to replace Snow White' Scary Adventure?

The rest sounds great, but that seems a waste of the space

**In Progress** Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #117
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
"will greet you in an elegant royal court at the location where Snow White’s Scary Adventures is today. This new experience will be in place of some of the earlier plans we shared regarding opportunities to interact with your favorite princesses."

really? That is what is going to replace Snow White' Scary Adventure?

The rest sounds great, but that seems a waste of the space

They took the princess meet & greets out to make way for the mine coaster. I believe Snow White is leaving because they are putting in the mine coaster, not to make way for the meet & greet area. They had to put them somewhere........
Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #118
lindsroc
DIS Veteran

This was just emailed to me via DisneyTravelAgents... hope its ok to post it here....

Largest Expansion in Magic Kingdom Park History Will Nearly Double the Size of Fantasyland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The largest expansion in Magic Kingdom® Park history is underway, a project that will nearly double the size of Fantasyland and deliver a new home for Ariel, new ways to interact with favorite Disney princesses, an exciting new family coaster, a double dose of Dumbo and more.

Scheduled to open in phases beginning in late 2012, the new Fantasyland will immerse your Clients in Disney stories as never before. Among the highlights planned:

•Under the Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid, a major, all-new attraction during which guests will travel with Ariel and her friends through their exciting adventures above and below the waves – all against a musical backdrop of songs from the classic film.
•The castle of the Beast, standing majestically upon a hill just across an old stone bridge from Ariel’s new home. The Be Our Guest Restaurant will feature a lavish dining experience in the elegant ballroom, gallery, and mysterious “West Wing” of the castle. With seating for 550, this magnificent facility will offer “great food fast” service by day and full table service dining in the evening. Nearby in Belle's Village, guests will find the rousing Gaston's Tavern and Bonjour! Village Gifts.
•Just outside the village is Belle’s cottage and Enchanted Tales with Belle. The adventure begins in Maurice’s workshop, where a magical mirror is the doorway to a captivating new kind of storytelling experience: Guests are transported to the Beast’s library to meet Belle and Lumiere, and share in a lively, interactive, re-telling of the "tale as old as time.”
But that’s just the beginning of what your Clients will discover when the multi-phase project is completed. Here’s more of what’s in store:

•The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will take guests on a rollicking, musical ride into the mine “where a million diamonds shine.” The coaster will feature a first-of-its kind ride system with a train of ride vehicles that swing back and forth, responding to every twist and turn of the track. The journey will be accompanied by music from the classic Disney film and animated figures of Snow White and the Dwarfs.
•In Princess Fairytale Hall, Aurora, Cinderella and other Disney princesses, such as Tiana and Rapunzel, will greet guests in their new home, an elegant royal court on the site where Snow White’s Scary Adventures stands today.
• The sound of the calliope will lead guests to the brand new Storybook Circus and not one but two circling carousels of airborne pachyderms on Dumbo the Flying Elephant! Before taking to the skies on this Fantasyland favorite, guests can experience an array of fun-filled family games and interactive wonders for kids of all ages inside the Big Top.
•Next door in Storybook Circus, the classic Barnstormer gets a bright new look as well, featuring Goofy as The Great Goofini. It’s a twisting, turning roller coaster “flight” high above the circus fun.

1st Disney trip Oct 29 2007 - Saratoga Springs ... Trip #2, April/May 2009 - Coronado Springs Resort
Trip #3, May 2010 - Offsite ... Trip #4, May 2011 -Polynesian
Trip #5, October 2013 - Boardwalk Inn
lindsroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #119
mistyt
Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust

Seems lots of people have questions as to if the train will close or not.

Here is the link to the disney world website. Under their section of Toontown closing it states that the train will remain open with only the Toontown Station not in operation during the expansion.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/par...gdom/#toontown

mistyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #120
ipodluvr287
DIS Veteran

I like the newly announced plans. They sound pretty good to me. I will be sad that Snow White is closing, but at least the Dwarf Coaster will replace it. I guess they have to put the Princesses somewhere...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: